You can directly flash it, but you won't necessarily be able to go back, at least some people bricked their system when going back using the USB method, others had success... and you won't be able to flash a newer mod than A09 afterwards, unless someone figures out something.

svl7,

The A09 flash does not work on my M17x R4.

The program will run and do some disk I/O, the reboot the system.

Then in the BIOS boot screen, it shows an error message "Invalid Secure Image", and boot back to Windows 7.

Can i go from a08 unlocked To a09 unlocked?
Being on the official stock A09 BIOS currently, can I flash the modified A09 BIOS now?

Nope, as already stated several times, once you're on one of the newer bios version you won't be able to flash a modified version anymore. You can go back using the recovery method... it seems to work for some, but not for all.

Or you can contact me if you want to test something else.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope, as already stated several times, once you're on one of the newer bios version you won't be able to flash a modified version anymore. You can go back using the recovery method... it seems to work for some, but not for all.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot..

Thanks! I'll give it a shot..

Did the esata/usb recovery method work for you?

I upgraded to the a09 in hopes of it lowering PCH temp's (ya i know the Tcase max is 110c, but 85c is just too unsettling for me).

Hoping the downgrade/usb recovery works =-/

Worst case scenario, it just doesnt flash the 'recovery' files or has this method bricked some machines?

Can someone tell me what is different between the A08 and A09 Bios?

Thanks

svl7, I am able to flash to unlocked A09 using the blind flash approach.

1. Using blind flash back to A05

2. Flash regular A05 using Dell stock BIOS

3. Flash unlocked A09

All the advanced A09 menus works just fine, I see a new option on A09 - UEFI boot.

Thank you svl7.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys...i have every thing default factory installed bios A05 Factory OS with Nvidia Drivers on my R4 680m but whenever i use fraps the recording is not smooth... the FPS goes down to 10-15 does anyone else have same problem.. Can upgrading to A09 solve it?

Hey guys...i have every thing default factory installed bios A05 Factory OS with Nvidia Drivers on my R4 680m but whenever i use fraps the recording is not smooth... the FPS goes down to 10-15 does anyone else have same problem.. Can upgrading to A09 solve it?

Doubt bios has anything to do with that. There is always fps penalties in recording. Try changing the recording settings or try MSI afterburner which includes OSD and ability to record also. See if same issue occurs on MSI Afterburner recording too.

There was a success story above of downgrade bios once on latest versions but due to secure boot its hard to say. Im not sure if all are having same results as above post. Please read link below to atleast be aware of problems secure boot causes ln these latest bios updates.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html#post29581

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Doubt bios has anything to do with that. There is always fps penalties in recording. Try changing the recording settings or try MSI afterburner which includes OSD and ability to record also. See if same issue occurs on MSI Afterburner recording too.

There was a success story above of downgrade bios once on latest versions but due to secure boot its hard to say. Im not sure if all are having same results as above post. Please read link below to atleast be aware of problems secure boot causes ln these latest bios updates.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html#post29581

hi!

Thanks for the info but it did not help me solve the issue... i have created new thread here... your help in matter would be appreciated heres the link:

680M Throttling in game Alienware M17x R4 Please help!

regards!

hi!

Thanks for the info but it did not help me solve the issue... i have created new thread here... your help in matter would be appreciated heres the link:

680M Throttling in game Alienware M17x R4 Please help!

regards!

Although I happen to have an account there, my account last I knew has mysteriously become inaccessible. Our members could continue to try to help here though.

Your post as it appears:

" Hi guys!

Now to the problems:

I'm using Alienware M17x R4 with nvidia 2GB 680M with 3D screen but i have kept 3D OFF. I'm having multiple issues using my video card 680M which i did not have any problem when using earlier 580M in R3. The problems are:

1.> In "Dark Void" Game the FPs falls badly i fight sequence when monitored with MSI Afterburner v2.2.4 Core Clock falls from 758 to 405 then 231Mhz after sometime too also Memory clock falls from 1800Mhz to 800Mhz then suddenly to 324Mhz at few moment in game and hence the FPS goes straight from ranges from 120-40 then when core clock falls to 758(sometimes 719) - 405 - 231 and memory clock 1800 - 800 - 324Mhz the FPS goes from 120 to 40 then 10-5FPS.(this problem is specifically with this game only not any other game where clock falls to 324Mhz). it happens on particularly in fight sequence when too many enemies and too many guns shots starting from episode 1 part 2 crash site after 5-10 minutes gameplay... if you mange to cross the sequence the game works fine again and problem comes in next couple of fight sequence again.

2.> When sometimes recording few game with fraps the FPS falls from 60FPS to staright 20-10FPS for couple of seconds(2-3 seconds) and then restores back to 60FPS but this spoils recording otherwise without recording the game works smoothly without any problems also when monitored clock speeds falling again from 758-575-628-653 etc. (tried games BF3 and ACR with max resolution 1920*1080 and ultra settings)

3.> Alienfx lights not working properly it goes dark in Dark Void game and turns ON hardly sometime when hurt too bad it blinks red but mostly remains OFF and also not working in BF3 after a couple of minutes gameplay mostly when character dies it goes dark but after respawning it should tun back ON but does not i have to unplug Tactx keybaord any one USB of 2 and plug it in the lights come back fro BF3 but not in dark void...So please help me... none issues with my R3 580M.

Steps i did to rectify the problem:

1.> Updated the new MB bios from A05 to A09 modded unlocked bios from techinferno website and also tried disabling internal Graphics card(intel) to disable optimus still did not help.

2.> Updated from Dell latest version 302.77 to Nvidia latest 306.97 from nvidia website WHQL drivers with customised selecting option "Perform clean install" did not work.

3.> New Alienware Command center version was available and updated it too.

4.> Lastly reformatted and reinstalled windows 7 64-bit too with Alienrespawn keeping no cahnges saved fresh factory install with pendrive even the factory image erased...(ofcourse i tried disabling the Norton antivirus firewall etc)

Still the problem persists the same. Now my question is problem with hardware itself or some drivers issue or something else. Can someone with similar config mentioned in my signaure below try playing dark void game complete episode 1 crash site sequence itself and report do they face same problem also with BF3 lights issue too if you have tactx keyboard mouse to try. deeply appreciate your help and support guys in this matter!

Regards,

vginside

[P.s: Thanks to MickyD1234 for helping me open my first new thread.]"

I had similar issues on 580m and only on the overvolt bios. On the overvolt I would get sometimes clocks switching so I had to change the power states to match on the profile it would switch to. On 680m this is not a good idea. I think @svl7 might be able to shed light on this since he has seen the internals of the 680m vbios. I see you switched to MSI afterburner to monitor. I am not versed with 680m but many members here are like @Brian , [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] and @johnksss

Although I happen to have an account there, my account last I knew has mysteriously become inaccessible. Our members could continue to try to help here though.

Your post as it appears:

" Hi guys!

Now to the problems:

I'm using Alienware M17x R4 with nvidia 2GB 680M with 3D screen but i have kept 3D OFF. I'm having multiple issues using my video card 680M which i did not have any problem when using earlier 580M in R3. The problems are:

1.> In "Dark Void" Game the FPs falls badly i fight sequence when monitored with MSI Afterburner v2.2.4 Core Clock falls from 758 to 405 then 231Mhz after sometime too also Memory clock falls from 1800Mhz to 800Mhz then suddenly to 324Mhz at few moment in game and hence the FPS goes straight from ranges from 120-40 then when core clock falls to 758(sometimes 719) - 405 - 231 and memory clock 1800 - 800 - 324Mhz the FPS goes from 120 to 40 then 10-5FPS.(this problem is specifically with this game only not any other game where clock falls to 324Mhz). it happens on particularly in fight sequence when too many enemies and too many guns shots starting from episode 1 part 2 crash site after 5-10 minutes gameplay... if you mange to cross the sequence the game works fine again and problem comes in next couple of fight sequence again.

2.> When sometimes recording few game with fraps the FPS falls from 60FPS to staright 20-10FPS for couple of seconds(2-3 seconds) and then restores back to 60FPS but this spoils recording otherwise without recording the game works smoothly without any problems also when monitored clock speeds falling again from 758-575-628-653 etc. (tried games BF3 and ACR with max resolution 1920*1080 and ultra settings)

3.> Alienfx lights not working properly it goes dark in Dark Void game and turns ON hardly sometime when hurt too bad it blinks red but mostly remains OFF and also not working in BF3 after a couple of minutes gameplay mostly when character dies it goes dark but after respawning it should tun back ON but does not i have to unplug Tactx keybaord any one USB of 2 and plug it in the lights come back fro BF3 but not in dark void...So please help me... none issues with my R3 580M.

Steps i did to rectify the problem:

1.> Updated the new MB bios from A05 to A09 modded unlocked bios from techinferno website and also tried disabling internal Graphics card(intel) to disable optimus still did not help.

2.> Updated from Dell latest version 302.77 to Nvidia latest 306.97 from nvidia website WHQL drivers with customised selecting option "Perform clean install" did not work.

3.> New Alienware Command center version was available and updated it too.

4.> Lastly reformatted and reinstalled windows 7 64-bit too with Alienrespawn keeping no cahnges saved fresh factory install with pendrive even the factory image erased...(ofcourse i tried disabling the Norton antivirus firewall etc)

Still the problem persists the same. Now my question is problem with hardware itself or some drivers issue or something else. Can someone with similar config mentioned in my signaure below try playing dark void game complete episode 1 crash site sequence itself and report do they face same problem also with BF3 lights issue too if you have tactx keyboard mouse to try. deeply appreciate your help and support guys in this matter!

Regards,

vginside

[P.s: Thanks to MickyD1234 for helping me open my first new thread.]"

I had similar issues on 580m and only on the overvolt bios. On the overvolt I would get sometimes clocks switching so I had to change the power states to match on the profile it would switch to. On 680m this is not a good idea. I think @svl7 might be able to shed light on this since he has seen the internals of the 680m vbios. I see you switched to MSI afterburner to monitor. I am not versed with 680m but many members here are like @Brian , [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] and @johnksss

@vginside

Are you using Norton NIS 2013? There's a bug I'm trying to report but can't log Norton forums. When NIS starts it triggers GPU P-State 0 and doesn't change, this causes issues with nvidia inspector/Afterburner/Games

Remove NIS 2013 from programs/features reboot, run Norton removal tool twice reboot each time https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us Install NIS 2012 buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2012/NISNAV/US/19.8/NIS-ESD-19-8-0-14-EN.exe. I have Norton but it's mostly disabled as there's no need with sandboxie.

Are you using Norton NIS 2013? There's a bug I'm trying to report but can't log Norton forums. When NIS starts it triggers GPU P-State 0 and doesn't change, this causes all kind of behaviors with nvidia inspector/Afterburner.

Nope I have little need of major virus protection and I fair fine with the free ones. Microsoft Security Essentials can fair fine and recently ive moved to Avast. I had a very good security expert suggest anything from Panda Antivirus. Personally ive used Norton long ago and to many times virus were neither detected or prevented from disabling Norton. Since then they have evolved more and use less resources and even can say they detect a higher rate of viruses than most. I just can't go back just like I'll never use McAfee.

I hope you get you bug reported. I would go directly to their site and report it.

Edit: you could post about it here and hopefully someone can address the issue quickly. I don't know how the Norton forums are though.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/bd-p/nis_feedback

I use Malware Bytes as a manual scanner and Avast as my realtime protection.

I was replying to vginside ;)

I only use the firewall, Norton is mostly disabled sandboxie well configured is better than any anti-virus.

I see I don't know what I was thinking. @vginside might get your reply noticed better since it is a mention and the forum system will notify of the mention. Just add a @ in front of any members name here to do so. Sorry for the confusion and yes a sandbox is ultimately safest.

My confusion stemmed from quoting my post even though my post had a quote from Vginside. Plus i hadn't seen the end of the post at the time where you mention to uninstall and reinstall with the above link. Great suggestion and fix.

A friend ask me to test NIS2013 as he was having trouble with it. It' a disaster the released suite is like a first Beta it takes ages to load and it does unprotected, triggers P-State 0 so 580m doesn't idle anymore. The firewall is good, it's fully configurable besides that everything is disabled NIS2012.

I use Sandboxie with the container folder into a 1024MB RAMDisk (Imdisk) unnecessary SSD writes.

used the blind flash technique described here

M17x R4 BRICKED BIOS RECOVERY (not vbios)

to downgrade from A08 to A05.

Then flashed A09 unlocked. I see the new advanced tab in the bios now. However, the GT overclocking options are still disabled -- both in the advanced tab overclocking menu and the main overclocking menu. what does that option do?

• Brian pinned this topic