• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i'm trying to flash my bios (M17xR4) with the second method, but cannot do to a few things.

There are links and docs on HOW to properly flash, links to the bios file, but no link to the FPT tool.. or at least one that works.  The one I found elsewhere say that its not he proper platform.

It's really disheartening for those of us who like to read, research and not really into posting and are limited to the 5 post rule.  I've visited Techinferno for years to find answers, read up on how others do things, or even just general info... everything is there, there is nothing you cant find, just haven't been a really big poster.  But now that I actually need a file, cant do it because I have to be a poster of 5 quality posts.  So... off to work on that.  My laptop's mother board was replaced, is in pieces and before I put it all back together properly, simply wanted to flash my bios.  (new motherboard that was sent to me had no video, single beeps, flashed to A05, now works, flashed to a12, discrete video no longer detected, but not putting it back together until I know its fully working)

In essence, i'm looking for the FPT tool for my M17xR4.  

Edited by saki2fifty

Ok, well please disregard my previous post.  It was posted a bit prematurely.

Can my current BIOS be unlocked?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/yjv9ec

Also, any idea where I can find the proper FPT tool to do this?  I do have all the other utilities, along with a bootable usb, etc., just missing the FPT tool.

Thanks!

Well, after doing a little research, this is what I did to get my laptop flashed with the custom firmware.  I'm sure this is discussed somewhere on this forum, but this is what I did.  Because I do not have the ability to download on these forums yet, these are the steps I did to get my newly install motherboard working:

(after purchasing, there was no video, only a continuous 1 beep.  My original MB died, did have an unlocked A05, but has been so long since flashing it that I did not remember where the tools were found.):

Revive a dead new MB that was just purchased:

> Referencing the below link, blind-flashed the DOA motherboard with A05, and now i'm able to use my new motherboard.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1525-m17x-r4-bricked-bios-fix/

(Discrete graphics adapter not detected)

> Flashed to A12 using the typical Dell flashing utility found on the Dell support page.

(Discrete graphics adapter still not detected)

Find the correct FPT tool used for flashing:

> Installed HWINFO64 --> Expand Motherboard --> Select Intel ME --> found the current Intel ME Version, of which is v.8.0.

Intel System Me Tools found the Tools version that corresponds to the ME Version found in the step above, and downloaded.  

In this instance, I downloaded the Intel ME System Tools v8 r3 - (2017-11-19) version, extracted, and located the FPT tool found in ./Flash Programming tool/DOS.

Flashing the Unlocked BIOS:

I was able to download the unlocked BIOS/PRR tools from Techinferno.

Downloaded the BIOS and tools file mentioned above, extracted, copied the correct FPT flashing tool in the second step above to my bootable USB drive

Once I had my bootable USB drive ready, I followed the instructions on this Forum thread to a tee, and it worked as expected.  BIOS now shows my Radeon in the Discrete Graphics section, and i'm good to.

(I would had posted pics, but can't)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry I'm a bit late to this one as I've been away but the additional tools can be found in the M18x R2 download file. It would be great if they could update this one to include everything it needs.

• Bios Modder
7 hours ago, sma1525 said:

Hey Klem, could i get an unlocked a15 bios. i picked up an r4 and want to put in my 970 from my m15x. https://www.sendspace.com/file/f2g2zm 

thankyou in advanced also please include a donation link in the message so i can buy you some beer

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, laptopadik said:

can we install a gtx 1070m on m17xr4 bios a13 with a 3d 120hz monitor via uefi?

Yes. The 120Hz display and BIOS set to UEFI is the best environment to run the 1070. You will need a modded Nvidia driver though. 

If you have the 120hz then I don't think the unlocked BIOS is required as the system is already set to PEG by default although I have seen some threads saying the unlocked BIOS is needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey all !

So i'd like to re-use my old Rx17 R4 however the GPU is busted therefore windows keeps crashing... I'd like to force disable the 7970M HD so that computer only sees the intel integrated graphic which works fine.

However my BIOS version is on A.12 which it seems there is no modded version of...

Anyone can help me with this ? Would be very grateful.

I've provided my bios backup if it helps : https://www.sendspace.com/file/7j622v

Thanks !

Edited by yaboul