I downgraded from A14 -> A12 -> A11 and it worked just fine, so that's a plus. (I was kinda freaking out during the whole thing). I just found out that the A11 was basically the last bios that was unlocked and I really wanted to tweak everything, so I felt like I had no choice lol

This thread is still helping people. 
A thank you to the OP for sharing once again, of course.

Guys on a side note, sometimes you send me messages and I get them really late, just ping me via discord server or PM on NBR which I check more often simply because of more volume.
I do not want to ignore anyone looking for me anywhere, but sometimes it happens from lack of activity or weeks inbetween browsing this forum (although I love TechInferno)

On 10/08/2012 at 11:00 AM, svl7 said:

Dell has hidden a lot of options in the BIOS of the Alienware M17x R4, the modified BIOS versions here will show you all the hidden menus and allow you to further tweak your system and optimize its performance.

Don't change anything you're not familiar with. There might be functions available which don't work on your system, so use this BIOS with care. It should only be used by advanced users.

In case you mess up and your system refuses to boot after applying the changes you make, remove the AC adapter, battery and coin cell battery in order to clear the non-volatile ram of the BIOS. This should fix most issues.

Instructions:

If you're on A05 or an earlier version, you can flash the modified bios by simply using the InsydeFlash utility provided with the official bios update on the Dell support site.

However, once you're on a version newer than A05, things get a bit more complicated. There are two options then:

- Method 1:

Revert to stock A05 or earlier by using the Insyde USB bios recovery method, and then flash the modified bios by using the official tools (InsydeFlash).

- Method 2 (recommended):

Flash the modified Bios from DOS by using the FPT tool:

NOTE: The flashing from DOS as described above will only update the BIOS, not the rest of the firmware. Therefore I strongly advise you to first flash the stock version of the bios you want by using the official update provided by Dell, and once that's done you can go ahead and flash the modified version of your bios by following the instructions above.

Download links to the unlocked M17x R4 BIOS versions:

• M17x R4 - BIOS A05 [unlocked]
  • M17x R4 - BIOS A08 [unlocked] - see attachment
  • M17x R4 - BIOS A09 [unlocked] - see attachment
  • M17x R4 - BIOS A10 [unlocked] - see attachment
  • [FPT] M17x R4 - BIOS A10 [unlocked] - see attachment
  • [FPT] M17x R4 - BIOS A11 [unlocked] - see attachment

Donation link, in case you want to buy me a beer ;)

Here some pictures of the menus (thanks a lot for the pics @deadbydawn!)

post-80-14494993482878_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993486212_thumb.jpg

I want to thank @widezu69 for testing !!

It's hard to find users who are willing to risk their system in order to test a mod, I greatly appreciate this! Thank you!!

Flash and use at your own risk. I don't take any responsibility for any possible damages on your system.

The software which I provide here ('prr tool') comes with absolutely no warranty to the extent permitted by applicable law.

___

post-80-1449499348059_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993481137_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993481651_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993482315_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993483648_thumb.jpg

post-80-144949934843_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993484934_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993485529_thumb.jpg

M17x_R4_-_BIOS_A08_[unlocked].zip

M17x_R4_-_BIOS_A09_[unlocked].zip

M17x_R4_BIOS_A10_-_[unlocked].zip

[FPT]-M17x_R4_BIOS_A11_-_[unlocked]V2.zip

[FPT] M17x R4 - BIOS A10 [unlocked].zip

M17x_R4_-_BIOS_A05_[unlocked].zip

can we use the prr2 tool here : https://www.techinferno.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5951

because the link to the tool on this thread is dead/404

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, because im a new one here now, Im not able to download this files here, and therefore i would like to ask you. In this unlocked bios i am able to switch off integrated intel GPU and use just discrete gpu? When it will be possible and im reach a lvl for downloading ill try it personally. Thx a lot for all reply.

I hope we will get an answer soon.  btw. in nbreview somebody i guess it was raidriar didn't recommend to switch off intel HD, because may lead to black screen and trouble with config. P It is true guys? again thx a lot for any answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried and failed...

Blind flashed from a14 to a5, booted with Flash Drive to CMD, executed prr2.exe, stated "Ready to flash", executed flash.bat, runs successfully until the end and upon reboot I can see I was on version a11, but the BIOS was still locked, so then I flashed to a11 and tried again prr2.exe / flash.bat, same issue.

Can anyone please help? Thanks.

I seen some other users had the same issue as me, I PM some of them up to page 13 on this thread and continuing to read further the entire thread...

One thing I have noticed is that I have an admin password, I cannot get rid of this, luckily enough I have guessed it as when I enter my BIOS it goes into locked mode, when I unlock, I don't seem to have the second "Advanced" tab per pictures from svl7 from the his machine running a11 unlocked...

So I blind flashed a5 again, entered BIOS, entered admin password, loaded optimal settings, saved, shut down. Removed all cables, battery and removed CMOS battery, pressed power button for 20 seconds for a few times, put everything together and rebooted in hope the admin password would be gone, but no, system time is still there and so is the bloody admin password.

I am starting to think this is the reason why I cannot see the second "Advanced" tab in the unlocked bios a11, very frustrating...

And without this cannot jump to the VGA upgrade project :(

So, I managed to removed the password, load to defaults, blind flash to a5, flash to a11 v2 unlocked, it is now unlocked so I would say, REMOVE ALL BIOS PASSWORDS prior to start the process.

I have the i7 3610QM, monitoring now for temperature which is seating around 47 at idle...

thx guys foir good job, it is working just fine :) i have just one problem, for thermal setup. I can control from bios a thermal condition for CPU but not for GPU... any idea except using hwinfo64? this way im using currently, but should be nice to control it directly from bios.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:58 PM, Scruffy said:

hi new A14 bios for intel cpu is out, any hope to see unlocked ?

i guess not in this thread, for A14 is already unlocked version out, check in notebookreview.com

On 7/2/2018 at 2:17 PM, Magnosaw said:

hello? some one help me

i did, first use a official stock which will reflashing you back to A11 and after that use save way in first post

Hello everyone. I'm new here (I don't have download privileges yet), so I'm just saying hello for now. Does anyone know where to look for ideas on how to "unlock" the bios for oneself? I'm a programmer by trade so I shouldn't be to far into the woods with it. The reason I ask is that it doesn't seem any bios past a11 has been modded for unlock, but I'm running windows 10 and I'm planning on installing a gtx 1070, so I would really like a bios with at least windows 8.1 support.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, FirebirdTA01 said:

Hello everyone. I'm new here (I don't have download privileges yet), so I'm just saying hello for now. Does anyone know where to look for ideas on how to "unlock" the bios for oneself? I'm a programmer by trade so I shouldn't be to far into the woods with it. The reason I ask is that it doesn't seem any bios past a11 has been modded for unlock, but I'm running windows 10 and I'm planning on installing a gtx 1070, so I would really like a bios with at least windows 8.1 support.

How come I can't click on the link for the a12 unlocked bios? I can only click on a05... and I don't have privileges yet either. meh...

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2018 at 10:55 PM, coolfox said:

I downgraded from A14 -> A12 -> A11 and it worked just fine, so that's a plus. (I was kinda freaking out during the whole thing). I just found out that the A11 was basically the last bios that was unlocked and I really wanted to tweak everything, so I felt like I had no choice lol

From where you get the download links mate?

6 hours ago, wellaflex said:

From where you get the download links mate?

The download link doesn't work on here. At least not for me. Here is a A11 unlocked folder on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxd8sdmfy0sdh8w/AADoHnPwZ4QgXQzwsEAkLJnFa?dl=0

On 7/14/2018 at 12:00 AM, FirebirdTA01 said:

@Shyzah Where do you see a link for unlocked a12 bios? I only see up to a11 on page 1

I meant a11. I contacted someone and they were able to send me their download. Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxd8sdmfy0sdh8w/AADoHnPwZ4QgXQzwsEAkLJnFa?dl=0

Hello everyone. I have some trouble with my M17x R4 with 'unknown AC adapter' - i'm sure part of us ran into this (i have original Dell AC 180W). Many of forums told me it's because discrete GTX 660M or really wrong AC. The problem is temporary - when i insert my AC into laptop, it can recognize AC as original 50/50. My question is: can BIOS modification set every AC as allowable for the laptop?

Thank you.

UPDATE: I solved the problem by bying geniune 240W AC Adapter.

Big thanks to svl7 for A11 BIOS Mod! I've tweaked fan power. Do we have some hotkey for FullFan mode (like in Clevo laptops)?

Edited by noteMASTER12