Could you please indicate if "HDD Password" is a hidden option in the stock BIOS of M17x R4 and if the 'unlocked' BIOS reveals it? Or does it not exist by default?

I am currently running my M17x R4 on stock version A13...

Because I would prefer to avoid just flasing an older 'unlocked' BIOS to check the existence of such option {with the (low) associated risk of bricking my laptop}, could someone who is currently using any unlocked BIOS version on M17x R4 check for such option and let me know? This should likely be present under the "Security" tab.

Edited by maleagour

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 2:26 PM, zokman said:

i bought 2 alienware for 500 $ and new graphics cant start gtx660m and 6990 radeon

You want to put these cards in a M17xR4?

You don't need an unlocked bios to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a friends alienware and haven't been able to find any decent info about it or what i can do with it until I found this thread, thank god. Planning on using this to install hackintosh on a partition of a drive i got installed, so this is very much appreciated (even though i'm 5 years late :/ ) thanks!

Now to wait a week before I can actually try this out....fun

• 2 weeks later...

what does A12 bring to the table that A11 doesn't. i know A12 is UEFI, is A11 an UEFI or is it bios and will it require reinstalling windows 10 if A12 is downgraded to A11. a guy above mentioned an A13 did he typo or is there another update and if so what's it do?

the stock A12 has a metric crapton plethora mega load of overclock options, i haven't the slightest clue what the do or how to find the info on usiging/researching them. might to doa search on the chipset vs the laptop model.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3.09.2017 at 10:32 AM, cdoublejj said:

what does A12 bring to the table that A11 doesn't. i know A12 is UEFI, is A11 an UEFI or is it bios and will it require reinstalling windows 10 if A12 is downgraded to A11. a guy above mentioned an A13 did he typo or is there another update and if so what's it do?

the stock A12 has a metric crapton plethora mega load of overclock options, i haven't the slightest clue what the do or how to find the info on usiging/researching them. might to doa search on the chipset vs the laptop model.

If im not mistaken A11 doesnt support UEFI and A12 and A13 does so potentially it can have it drawbacks when u try to downgrade with win10 on board

Im running stock A13 with my m17xr4 and as long as im not forced to i wont downgrade

u still can overclock cpu on stock bios, U just need a turbo bost oc capable one 3720 and above

Hi. I have Alienware m17x R4 with gtx 880m and 120Hz panel. I'm on BIOS A09 [unlocked] and want to upgrade to A13 [official] as i no longer need to disable the IGP after upgrading to the 120Hz LCD panel. Can i just flash A13 [official] BIOS with the insydeflash to replace A09 [unlocked] or do i need to do something else?

Edited by DPC_Watchdog

21 hours ago, DPC_Watchdog said:

Hi. I have Alienware m17x R4 with gtx 880m and 120Hz panel. I'm on BIOS A09 [unlocked] and want to upgrade to A13 [official] as i no longer need to disable the IGP after upgrading to the 120Hz LCD panel. Can i just flash A13 [official] BIOS with the insydeflash to replace A09 [unlocked] or do i need to do something else?

If someone asked for the same like me I flashed the A13 without any problems.

(This is what i did, not something you must do!)

Simply i just booted from a windows image on a USB drive and went into CMD, found the A13 BIOS and started the InsydeFlash. I did this method to not have any programs disturbing in the background to risk bricking the BIOS. Also I did this method when flashing the unlocked A09 because my drive is in UEFI and A05 BIOS doesn't support UEFI, and i found this method very easy and probably the most secure if you flash from OS.

Wish you all good luck!

• 2 weeks later...