Alienware M14xR1 Memory Support?

Hi all,

Just installed HWiNFO64 and I was just looking through the specs and found out that the OEM RAM chips are 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3 by a company called Nanya Technology. I've never had any problems with my laptop yet, but I'm only running on 8GB RAM. Does anyone know if the M14xR1 supports 16GB? I'm pretty sure there's only two slots for memory on the M14x so that would mean 2x8GB chips. I've always used well known memory brands like Corsair, Crucial, and I've heard great things about the brand Mushkin.

So my main question is, would the M14xR1 support two 8GB chips = 16GB?

• Founder
Really, is that so? That's too bad :(. Are you really from Alienware tech support?

Yes, Natalia is really an Alienware representative.

Officially the rig supports up to 8GB of memory, however there have been successful cases of installing 16GB (2x8GB) ram. Again, not officially supported.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I love my Alienware a lot and what it has to offer exceeds my needs. But I really wish there was built in support for 16GB of RAM. Oh well, 8GB is already more than what I need so no biggie.

I'm running 110 processes at the moment, with about 30 tabs of Chrome open, Skype, League of Legends, and a bunch of background applications and its taking up 3.51GB of 8GB of my memory. So I guess I'm doing just fine :).

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, there are 23 processes for Chrome, but 18 tabs open :P. Not 30, hehe. When I go in to these forums, I always open up multiple tabs at once and read one by one. and I've got multiple e-mails to monitor. :D

No lag. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For certain users I could see an improvement from 16GB of RAM, but honestly for most people I think a higher speed 8GB set would be more than enough. I got a set of Kingston 2x4GB 1866 MHz on sale from Newegg that I have been very happy with. I've noticed the system is a bit snappier and it seems to boot faster as well.

For certain users I could see an improvement from 16GB of RAM, but honestly for most people I think a higher speed 8GB set would be more than enough. I got a set of Kingston 2x4GB 1866 MHz on sale from Newegg that I have been very happy with. I've noticed the system is a bit snappier and it seems to boot faster as well.

before HyperX 2x8gb of 1600, I had installed 2x4gb HyperX 1866, I really do not know much difference than before, the only difference is that now with 16gb, is that WEI is increased.

Ciao :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got the same Hyper X 1866 model as you just heads up to some user it PnP but i had to set within the bios and xmp profiles since i was using an unlocked bios setting otherwise it was defaulting to a lower frequency of 1600mhz. But overall very happy with the slight improvement in performance!

I got the same Hyper X 1866 model as you just heads up to some user it PnP but i had to set within the bios and xmp profiles since i was using an unlocked bios setting otherwise it was defaulting to a lower frequency of 1600mhz. But overall very happy with the slight improvement in performance!

hi, if you have time, you could write the settings that you put in the bios.

I had the 1866, before taking the 2x8gb in 1600, but if I changed the bios putting xmp instead of autos, when the computer was started, restarted and referred the bios settings to default.

• 4 weeks later...

I can hardly believe that you will be able to use 16GB ram on your m14x r1,

You'll see the 16GB in your control panel for sure, but it will probably be useless.

I was thinkin about installing 16GB as well, but then some one asked me why do I need it..

and actually I think I dont, i'm using solidworks and mathematica and they run perfectly