kaldon

M14x R2 USB 3.0 Mass Storage Devices

I went out today and picked up a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure and a 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive to use with my new M14x R2. I got home and moved my hard drive over to the new enclosure, plugged it in, got the familiar noise it popped up and I started copying some files from the drive to my internal drive. After about 20 seconds the USB disconnect noise happened the drive disappeared the copy failed and 5 seconds later the plugin noise happened the drive popped back up ready for access again. This is happening on both USB 3.0 ports with the 2.5" drive and the 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive I bought. It stays connect for 15secs to 1min disconnects and reconnects within 10 seconds. I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers to no avail. Does this indicate I have a bad board or is this another issue with the M14x R2 USB thats been going around? I will absolutely NOT put up with another computer as problematic as my M11x R1 was.

In High Regard,

Kaldon

M14x R2 - i7-3720QM/8GB Kingston HyperX PnP 1866/128GB Crucial M4 mSATA/1GB 650M/900p HD+/Killer 1202N

I went out today and picked up a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure and a 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive to use with my new M14x R2. I got home and moved my hard drive over to the new enclosure, plugged it in, got the familiar noise it popped up and I started copying some files from the drive to my internal drive. After about 20 seconds the USB disconnect noise happened the drive disappeared the copy failed and 5 seconds later the plugin noise happened the drive popped back up ready for access again. This is happening on both USB 3.0 ports with the 2.5" drive and the 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive I bought. It stays connect for 15secs to 1min disconnects and reconnects within 10 seconds. I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers to no avail. Does this indicate I have a bad board or is this another issue with the M14x R2 USB thats been going around? I will absolutely NOT put up with another computer as problematic as my M11x R1 was.

In High Regard,

Kaldon

M14x R2 - i7-3720QM/8GB Kingston HyperX PnP 1866/128GB Crucial M4 mSATA/1GB 650M/900p HD+/Killer 1202N

Hi Kaldon, there are quite alot issues with intels usb 3 controller chip which is integrated natively now since ivy bridge. The drivers are very buggy and the fix erratum list is long. Also the bandwith is a big problem of this new design.

Anyway have you connected anything else but the external drives to any of the usb ports? This can cause varies issues while copying. I myself dont have any issues cause when i want to use usb 3 speed i unplug everything but the external drives from my usb ports before i install these buggy drivers for mass file transfer. After copying i make sure these drivers are completly gone from my system before i plug back in my wireless desktop, usb hub, printer and external sound device.

Its not Alienwares fault but Intel´s for not fixing these issues about their highly prised native and backwards compatible usb 3.0 controller.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Alienware-Natalia_J

Hello,

Check out this article :) it might help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Terriikk
      Hey guys, I have an Alienware m14x R2, and I have been trying to get access to the BIOS so that I can change the boot options (Everything is locked, I am unsure if someone set a password of if these are locked by default).I've tried updating the BIOS, and resetting the CMOS and nothing has changed this. Would anyone know if there are other options I can explore? Thank you. 
    • By speach
      Has anyone unlocked the final bios release for the M14X R2 yet? I've been searching but can't seem to find anything. If not, would it be possible for someone to unlock it and add the unlocked VBIOS for those of us still enjoying these machines? File link below for simplicity (too large for me to attach). Thanks in advance!

M14XR2 A15
    • By IronPancakes
      Hey guys, first post, but I thought I’d discuss my heatsink fan retrofit in my old M14x r1. 

Old fan was loud and not very efficient: the air transfer rate was around 2 cfm (I’m assuming cubic feet per minute). Finally had enough and decided to swap out the crappy r1 fan/coughing pinwheel for a r2 fan (rated at 10.4cfm). 

I found an old r2 heat sink on eBay (beware though that the heat sink for the r2 will NOT fit the gpu/cpu configuration for the r1. HOWEVER, the fan of the r2 heat sink it is attached to is a carbon copy fit into the r1 MoBo. A few philips head screws and a seal of good electric tape and BAM, you’ve got a significantly cooler and MUCH quieter intake fan in your old R1. 

My CPU temps from before were around 87-88 max load in FSX, 65 for the GPU; bear in mind this is after a repaste. Now with the new fan, I’m not going over 77 degrees on the CPU, and the gpu stays around 58, all while being MUCH quiter. I’ll post pics of the walkthrough if anyone is interested.

Just thought I’d share with all you fellow loonies trying to squeeze every last frame and degree out of our “portable toaster ovens with a screen and keyboard”. 

• By Heatshiver
      Hey Guys!

I bought the EXP GDC v8.0 to use with my laptops:

Alienware M17x R2 (no iGPU)
      i7 920xm GTX 680M 16GB DDR3 RAM ExpressCard x1 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate  
      Alienware M14x R2 (iGPU)
      i7 3840qm GT 650M 16GB DDR3 RAM mPCIe x2(?) Windows 7 x64 Ultimate  
      I am using:
      ZOTAC GTX 970 300w PSU DIY eGPU Setup 1.30  
      My problem is that Windows does not detect anything on either setup. No drivers are ever installed for a "Standard VGA Adapter", and I always check Device Manager. I have tried everything on the TechInferno webpage here, but nothing happens once in Windows. I have entered into the DIY eGPU Setup (menu option) several times trying what it recommends to get the graphics card to be seen, and messed around a bit with the settings, but none of that works either. Sometimes certain options will cause the laptop to hang and force me to reboot.

The ExpressCard slot and mPCIe slots of my laptops do work, I regularly use the ExpressCard with a USB 3.0 card, and I normally have a WLAN and a M.SATA SSD drive in the mCPIe slots (both I have extensively tried with the EXP GDC adapter). The graphics card only boots up (with fans on full blast) once the PSU is plugged in after the BIOS has loaded. If I have it connected from a cold boot, the card will attempt to turn on with slow fans and then turn off on either laptop. The graphics card is lightweight and fully inserted into the EXP GDC adapter. There is no switch on the PSU, so once everything is plugged in (and the laptop is on), it just goes.

I thought it would at least work on the M17x R2 since there is an Amazon review comment stating that it does. The only other thing I can mention is that the GTX 680M was never officially meant for the M17x R2, so I have to hack the NVIDIA display drivers to get NVIDIA driver support. I don't think this has anything to do with the eGPU detection though (especially since the DIY eGPU Setup dose see the GTX 680M)... And, if it helps, I do have a Dell 220w power brick I can use instead.

If anyone has any suggestions I can try, I will, as I really want this old laptop to run at its best before I move on.

Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.