M14x R2 USB 3.0 Mass Storage Devices

kaldon

I went out today and picked up a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure and a 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive to use with my new M14x R2. I got home and moved my hard drive over to the new enclosure, plugged it in, got the familiar noise it popped up and I started copying some files from the drive to my internal drive. After about 20 seconds the USB disconnect noise happened the drive disappeared the copy failed and 5 seconds later the plugin noise happened the drive popped back up ready for access again. This is happening on both USB 3.0 ports with the 2.5" drive and the 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive I bought. It stays connect for 15secs to 1min disconnects and reconnects within 10 seconds. I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers to no avail. Does this indicate I have a bad board or is this another issue with the M14x R2 USB thats been going around? I will absolutely NOT put up with another computer as problematic as my M11x R1 was.

In High Regard,

Kaldon

M14x R2 - i7-3720QM/8GB Kingston HyperX PnP 1866/128GB Crucial M4 mSATA/1GB 650M/900p HD+/Killer 1202N

I went out today and picked up a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure and a 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive to use with my new M14x R2. I got home and moved my hard drive over to the new enclosure, plugged it in, got the familiar noise it popped up and I started copying some files from the drive to my internal drive. After about 20 seconds the USB disconnect noise happened the drive disappeared the copy failed and 5 seconds later the plugin noise happened the drive popped back up ready for access again. This is happening on both USB 3.0 ports with the 2.5" drive and the 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive I bought. It stays connect for 15secs to 1min disconnects and reconnects within 10 seconds. I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers to no avail. Does this indicate I have a bad board or is this another issue with the M14x R2 USB thats been going around? I will absolutely NOT put up with another computer as problematic as my M11x R1 was.

In High Regard,

Kaldon

M14x R2 - i7-3720QM/8GB Kingston HyperX PnP 1866/128GB Crucial M4 mSATA/1GB 650M/900p HD+/Killer 1202N

Hi Kaldon, there are quite alot issues with intels usb 3 controller chip which is integrated natively now since ivy bridge. The drivers are very buggy and the fix erratum list is long. Also the bandwith is a big problem of this new design.

Anyway have you connected anything else but the external drives to any of the usb ports? This can cause varies issues while copying. I myself dont have any issues cause when i want to use usb 3 speed i unplug everything but the external drives from my usb ports before i install these buggy drivers for mass file transfer. After copying i make sure these drivers are completly gone from my system before i plug back in my wireless desktop, usb hub, printer and external sound device.

Its not Alienwares fault but Intel´s for not fixing these issues about their highly prised native and backwards compatible usb 3.0 controller.

• Thumbs Up 1