Msi gtx 580m 2gb gddr5 upgrade using a dell card out of a alienware

jasonnovack

Alright I've read around that the clevo 580m dose not work with msi, and I've seen that the dell version works. does any body have any real life experience with this upgrade. A dell gtx 580m out of a alien ware and stuck it in a MSI GT680R 16F2 and have it work? the mechanics are easy enough for me i'm just studying the software side, any experience would be appreciated thank you.

:59::59::59:

The Dell 580M has throttling issues. The Clevo works fine. If you buy a Dell, you'll need to flash the Clevo vBIOS on it to eliminate GPU throttling.

Also, it draws a lot of power. You'll either need to solder a wire to the MXM slot or simply use TS to fix the CPU throttle that will happen. I recommend the later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both Dell and Clevo 580M works fine in the 16F2 - I've tried both and there are no throttling issues at all if you use Throttlestop. Indeed as Xonar said, they draw a lot of power especially if you overvolt them - 180W PSU is required and I'd suggest 220W PSU if you plan, as I did, to overvolt the gpu for 24/7 gaming use.

• Thumbs Up 2