Clevo 4GB 680M + M18x: How to enable IGP

Brian

• Founder

As you may or may not know, enabling IGP via FN+F7 does not work when a Clevo 680M is used in the M18x. However, when an unlocked bios is used, you can go into the advanced menu section, then video configuration and force IGP as the primary display (rather than PEG). Once the system reboots, it'll be in IGP mode BUT and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT press FN+F7 to switch back to discrete else your system will go into an endless loop. If that happens, you have to take out the 680M and blind flash the system with a recovery usb. So save yourself the trouble and don't press FN+F7. To re-enable the PEG, just turn it back on as primary in the bios and reboot. I've been playing with the PowerXpress settings but none seem to be able to work with regards to FN+F7, I figured dynamic would do it but apparently not.

UPDATE: The PARTIAL fix is very simple

1. Download the unlocked A05 M18x-R1 Bios
  2. Boot into the Bios, go to advanced-->video configuration and change the display from PEG to SG (switchable graphics).
  3. Keep PowerXpress as FIXED MUX.
  4. Reboot and now you will be able to use FN+F7 to switch between discrete and IGP.

NOTE: You will again need to set SG in the bios after using FN+F7 one time since it resets back to PEG.

Thanks to @johnksss for the SG tip.

• Thumbs Up 3

try sg mode instead...see if this will allow you to use the igpu and show the dgpu as well...

you shouldn't have to blind flash the m18x r1. you should be able to reboot it twice with the dgpu removed and then it should come back on. depends on what beeps you hear the first time.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

Fantastic, SG mode + Fixed MUXED did it! Thanks for the tip John. Guess that's one more feature we got back with the M18x + Clevo card. If I had a 3D TV I'd test 3D out but don't have one right now. Will test HDMI IN when I get a chance.

I'll begin writing up a guide later today that details how to install a Clevo GTX 680M into an M18x-R1 and what steps to take with respect to installation, inf mods and sg mode setting. It will be published as a tutorial article on the main T|I site.

• Thumbs Up 1

glad this worked...now waiting on that 4gb sli setup..:).

side note:

im pretty sure if you run sli/crossfire...you will need to switch back to auto mode. and im thinking fn+f7 should still work..... will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Founder

@johnksss unfortunately I spoke too soon. It worked but only temporarily, once I did FN+F7 back to nVidia discrete, it got stuck in PEG mode and would no longer switch back to the IGP. I had to go back in the bios and manually set SG again for it to work so its only half a solution (better than none at least). Gonna keep playing with the options to see if this can be resolved in the bios.

This is good info. With 7970M CF the Dell cards and switchable graphics works perfectly... same as the 6990M and 580M. (But, yeah, they're still AMD cards and there is no cure for that, LOL.) I wonder if the cards being from Clevo is the only reason graphics switching does not work? Maybe something missing in the vBIOS that the system BIOS is looking for?

If I set my R1 to SG mode I can see both the IGFX and discreet GPUs simultaneously, but Windows will only utilize the IGFX. You can install the discreet GPU drivers and everything, but they stay in 2D mode unless you change back to PEG in the BIOS, and then FN+F7 works normally.

I so seldom use the IGFX that manually setting to SG for the rare occasion that I actually want or need to use it would not be the end of the world.

BIG NEWS

As many of you have been reading, IGP does not work when a clevo card is installed. I can prove that it does with no modding required. Mine works just fine, FN+F7, didn't edit anything or do anything. Now it could be one of two things.

Either the drivers I am using somehow work with FN+F7, or that you need two cards in SLI for it to work out of box. I am not sure which it is, but I am just glad it works lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

@mobiousblack , interesting, its possible SLI might make a difference. Can you disable one card and then try it? Also, some other questions:

1. What changes did you make to the .inf file?

2. Which driver version?

3. Which bios version?

4. Which vbios?

5. What version of command center?

Thanks and congrats on the SLI.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Brian. I just used the drivers provided to me by Eurocom. Also according to a user on notebook review a similar situation happened with the 560m's. When using a single card you can't enable IGP but when using SLI it works fine.

As for what you are asking I'll check on those when I am back home and update this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

@mobiousblack , interesting, its possible SLI might make a difference. Can you disable one card and then try it? Also, some other questions:

1. What changes did you make to the .inf file?

2. Which driver version?

3. Which bios version?

4. Which vbios?

5. What version of command center?

Thanks and congrats on the SLI.

1. Any changes made to any INF file would have been done by Eurocom, I just installed the drivers that came with the GPU's from Eurocom.

2. Driver version is 302.92

3. The latest from Alienware

4. Stock, so whatever comes from the factory

5. Latest from Alienware.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

I've got SLI in the M18x now as well and it seems IGP works fine with FN+F7 with two cards present in the system. This must be related to a bios switch in the M18x itself rather than drivers.

I've got SLI in the M18x now as well and it seems IGP works fine with FN+F7 with two cards present in the system. This must be related to a bios switch in the M18x itself rather than drivers.

So does that mean it was because of having a single card that the IGP didn't work? Or was there a bios update that fixed it?