"RAM QUESTION" 4X8 GB 1600Mhz OR 2X8 2133Mhz WHICH ONE IS BETTER OPINIONS ANYBODY!

Hello I would like to start this thread out by saying money set aside, "Where not going to worry about money or costs on this one" I'm looking for tech and spec info on this one for my knowledge thank you.

Lets say I have a MSI GT680R with 32GB of DDR3 1600Mhz ram, and I do a unlocked bios letting me have the ability to use up to 2133Mhz ram speeds and everythings fine and working. Since 4 X 2133Mhz seems to be unstable at this time. I decide to use 2 X 8 2133Mhz.

OK now is there a performance difference just in using the four slots instead of two? Would using 32 gb of 1600Mhz on four slots out perform the 16 GB of 2133Mhz on two slots. and if the amount of ram makes it an upset situation. lets call it even across the board and say 16gb of 1600Mhz on four slots and 16gb of 2133Mhz on two slots ANY BODY!!!!

Well, there would be a performance difference from the 2133 speed bump, albeit minor. There would only be a performance drop for 16gb vs 32gb if you were using more than 16gb of RAM with programs etc, which is highly unlikely. Generally speaking using all the RAM slots hinders overclocking, though I don't know to what extent that effects notebooks. There is no inherent performance difference between using two slots or four, unless the board is quad channel (which no notebook has yet to my knowledge, they are almost all dual channel, including the MSI).

more ram if one is using something like vmware.

and there is a speed difference between 1600 and 2133...not much but it's there. and programs seem a bit snappier....is how i would explain it.

so i would go 16 gb at 2133 over the more ram...you can always add more later or upon need....

• Thumbs Up 1

A general rule of thumb is it is FAR more important to have ENOUGH ram to do what you want to do than to have FAST ram. If you, for example, need 10GB, and have 8GB of DDR3 2400 your system will be slower than one with 12GB or 16GB of DDR3 1066 even. SO, if you plan on using more than 16GB, go for the 32GB of 1600. If 16GB is enough, then go for the faster 16GB.

Thank you for the input, now if you had 2 X 8gb 2133Mhz pieces would you install one in each channel or two in one channel. I have a debate with a friend he swares up and down that I should even it out between the two channels and that the processor optimizes the ram better when you do that verses just on one channel. ever here of that?

Thank you for the input, now if you had 2 X 8gb 2133Mhz pieces would you install one in each channel or two in one channel. I have a debate with a friend he swares up and down that I should even it out between the two channels and that the processor optimizes the ram better when you do that verses just on one channel. ever here of that?

Well, unless you want to cut your bandwidth in half, you should install one stick in each channel. If they are both in one channel then you will run in single channel mode, and I'm sure you don't want to do that :) You need one stick in each channel to run in Dual Channel mode :)

1 in each channel 1.

so that will make it show in cpuz....dual channel.

• 1 month later...

16gb of 2133mhz with one dimm in each channel will give you better performance if you're into benchmarks, but in real world situations you won't notice too much of a difference verus 1600mhz unless you're utilizing your IGPU a ton. 32GB of 1600mhz would only be useful if you did massive amounts of photo and video editing.

Personally, I'd stick with the 2x8 2133mhz dims with one dimm in each channel :)

Where and how much lol :) i still have my 2x 4gb 2133 sticks :) let me know how it goes as we both did quite a bit of tinkering on that.

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Problem 1, In the r1 they seem to run at 2133 13-13-13-36 1.5V. It's suppose to run at 12-12-12-36 1.5V

M18x r1? I believe you can mess around with memory timings in the bios under performance settings if it's not using your rams rated timings.

M18x r1? I believe you can mess around with memory timings in the bios under performance settings if it's not using your rams rated timings.

Problem 2, R1 can only go as high as 10-10-10 what ever in bios. So that wont work either.

Hey thats strange. Remember using Thaiphoon burner... I saw the same issue every time i made a custom timing. If you feel like tinkering... Dropping each of those timigs by one in the fraction that they adjust by. I noticed like vengeance 1866 cl10 is one away from being cl11. Its seems to be specific to our R1 John. Like i had bench only profile 9-10-10-25 and is actually almost 8-9-9-24 as programmed but loads as 9-10-10-25 for me. Why do you think that is? Awesome first 16gb of 2133 :) maybe the fact they are 8gb density helps. Maybe that's why 4/4gb chips wouldnt work but 2/4gb chips did :) nice volts too

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Hey thats strange. Remember using Thaiphoon burner... I saw the same issue every time i made a custom timing. If you feel like tinkering... Dropping each of those timigs by one in the fraction that they adjust by. I noticed like vengeance 1866 cl10 is one away from being cl11.

They are pretty much all set that way. It's marketing. Remember, we had that convo before..:D

Its seems to be specific to our R1 John. Like i had bench only profile 9-10-10-25 and is actually almost 8-9-9-24 as programmed but loads as 9-10-10-25 for me. Why do you think that is? Awesome first 16gb of 2133 :) maybe the fact they are 8gb density helps. Maybe that's why 4/4gb chips wouldnt work but 2/4gb chips did :) nice volts too

No, these are 4 gig modules. and they run as expected, but the clocks are not right. On monday Ill go to kingston and show them. Then ask what are their thoughts on the matter.

These mods should be able to run 2666 mhz factory, if the bios has it listed. Ivy Bridge can run factory rated ram at like 3.3 ghz....I think they are at 2.8 ghz now in the DT world. (Factory set ram)

Great I am interested to hear what they tell you. I was thinking it was related to that conversation we had John... based on what you told me now I see and hope Kingston has a explanation. John could i bother you to post a THP file of your sticks? Id love to see how the secondary and third set of timings look. Have you found they score similar to what your modified sticks did the ones you made from Samsung?

• 2 weeks later...
...its something thats just is not needed

Hardware... it's not about what you need, it's all about what you have. Is it that hard to understand? Especially when there's a discussion among enthusiasts.

Hardware... it's not about what you need, it's all about what you have. Is it that hard to understand? Especially when there's a discussion among enthusiasts.

I had to get a new mortgage but now I have 128gb of ram in my laptop :) lol yeah I am that enthused, its a hardware thing. Normal people just don't understand. Ill just chuck these second fastest in the world memory sticks because I have to have the latest model. My hardwares old it came out yesterday. Sometimes you just have to upgrade!

What? It could happen. :P

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

I had to get a new mortgage but now I have 128gb of ram in my laptop :) lol yeah I am that enthused, its a hardware thing. Normal people just don't understand. Ill just chuck these second fastest in the world memory sticks because I have to have the latest model. My hardwares old it came out yesterday. Sometimes you just have to upgrade!

What? It could happen. :P

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

128GB of RAM? I am a little curious, what does your task manager percentage show? :single_eye: Plus, is it possible to ever fill that RAM up even to 25%?