P150HM and GTX680M : yes we can

Tonrac

I have the 680m and np9170 how much can I oc without increasing the voltage much?

it's hard to say, every card has different capabilities. you should pay attention to two things when overclocking: temps and stability. 90-92 °C is deemed to be still acceptable under full load for hours (however, if temp should exceed that value on the stock vbios it would get throttled so there's no point in pushing further unless you improve your cooling system). @Tonrac managed to get his 680m working stable under 853 mhz with stock vbios (which is maximum) and under 1005 mhz with overvolted vbios (1.0v) so these are the values you should aim for. but with such high clocks there might be a problem when your psu might not be able to provide enough power. all should clear itself up when you do some testing though. gradually increase your clocks, run some tests/games after each step and be sure to monitor your temps and you should be fine!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all:)

I have installed the 680m on my p170hm..no problems at all. Except when I run Intel XTU (i dont oc, just use it for temp. lookup) the processor frequency is always 0,80ghz..tried cpu stress test in OCCT, and it failed after a minute. My cpu is a 2670qm. My ac adapter is 220w. The modded Nvidia driver is 306.02.2. Any ideas what is wrong with the processor?

Hi all:)

I have installed the 680m on my p170hm..no problems at all. Except when I run Intel XTU (i dont oc, just use it for temp. lookup) the processor frequency is always 0,80ghz..tried cpu stress test in OCCT, and it failed after a minute. My cpu is a 2670qm. My ac adapter is 220w. The modded Nvidia driver is 306.02.2. Any ideas what is wrong with the processor?

Well, well, welll...guess I feel stupid now, and solved my own dilemma....had power save turned on in Clevo control panel. Guess I have to buy myself a beer now :(

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys....long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a software to monitor CPU, GPU, etc' power consumption in real time. I have Origin PC's EON-15S laptop, which is essentially Clevo P150HM and I'm about to install GeForce GTX 680M card in it. Been reading up on how the stock 180 watt PSU isn't gonna cut if I want to overclock both, GPU and CPU (and I do), so I want to measure power consumption peaks in high end games, to decide on modified PSU. Would appreciate some software recommendations. I have been inspired by Tonrac's heroics and what he's been able to do with his P150HM and I have my eyes set on this adapter as the base for modification: Amazon.com: Dell PA-9E Family Power Adapter For Precision Mobile WorkStations M6400 M6500, E-port Dock PR02X, Alienware: M17x: Computers & Accessories

Just need to confirm 240 watt is enough juice for elevated CPU multipliers using XTU on cross-flashed P170HM BIOS and something like 1.025V, 1050Mhz core, 2.5Ghz memory GPU configuration on svl7's extreme OC VBIOS from here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

• Thumbs Up 1

To measure the total power consumtion of my computer, i use a wattmeter like those http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wattmeter

I don't recommand the OC of cpu and gpu at the same time on that system, remember that by pushing the system over 220w, you will also put pressure on the power circuitry of the motherboard (that originaly designed to support 180W).

I don't succeed to OC my 2960XM with the oc Gtx680m, all my tests has resulted in power failure.

In some scenario, with my GTX680M @1006 Mhz core/ 2450 Mhz memory Ov 1.025V, i reached 230W (peak) at the outlet with my 2860MQ.

The dell adpapter is a good one but you need to modify the jack connector that is not the same on P150Hm

Yeah I'm aware of the hardware solutions for power consumption measurement, like the amazon meter you linked. Won't work with my home setup. It's a long story, but bottom line is power outlet my laptop connects to is buried behind the furniture and piles of other wires and stuff. I would have to spend 15 minutes to move stuff around, just to look at the reading at any point of time....That's why I am looking for a software solution - was hoping the mobo has some sort of sensor, installed close to PSU plug in port, and there is a way to take a reading from it.

When you say your tests resulted in power failure - what exactly do you mean, how did it manifest itself? I also have 2960XM and with my current GTX 675M on default frequencies I was able to get CPU multipliers to x45 using XTU and 170HM's BIOS, without any overheating, failures or other noticeable consequences.

About the dell adapter - I'm aware plug needs to be changed and I watched the Spanish videos you posted in another thread on how to do it. Looks messy, I'm not into soldering and don't have the tools anyway, so I already got a quote from a local repair shop - they said they can do the plug change for me in under an hour and it'll set me back only $25-30 bucks.

If anyone knows of a software, capable of real time power consumption reading of different chipsets, or system as a whole - please let me know. Thanks in advance.

"When you say your tests resulted in power failure - what exactly do you mean, how did it manifest itself? I also have 2960XM and with my current GTX 675M on default frequencies I was able to get CPU multipliers to x45 using XTU and 170HM's BIOS, without any overheating, failures or other noticeable consequences."

My first Cpu was a 2860QM. With the help of a prema modded bios, this cpu was capable of being longer in Turbo mode, resulting on near performance of a 2960XM stock (but without the same power consumption).

I can run the GTX680M at 1006 Mhz core and 2400Mhz memory ov 1.0v without issue with an asus 230w PSU. Total power consumption was near 220W in some case.

Then i bought a 2960XM to make some test and see if it worth the value for money vs a 2860QM... and it was a big disappointment.

At stock speed, 2960XM was on par with the 2860QM with prema modded bios.

And if i overclock the 2960xm and the GTX680M at the same time, the laptop goes in security shutdown. This two components OC together, drained too much power.

But, maybe it was the power circuitry of my motherboard that have a lower tolerance than yours.

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/1924-p150hm-gtx680m-yes-we-can-11.html#post70475

Like you can see in my review of the 2960Xm, i was only able to run benchmark, and i conclude that running an OC 2960XM with an OC 680m was impossible (security shutdown under crysis 3). But you will be able to run your 2960XM stock with the GTX680M oc without problem and it will give you an incredible boost in comparaison with your actual 675m.

Just a new for all P150HM owner, i just realize that the battery of the P170SM are the same as P150HM model, so if your battery begin to be tired, you can buy a P170sm battery in replacement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since we got the same CPU, mobo and GPU now (2960XM, P150HM and GTX 680M) I can try the same settings you used and let you know how it goes, if you let me know your exact CPU overclock values. I already changed the plug on that Dell 240 watt PSU and I'm using it right now with my Clevo P150HM, so I'm hoping power should not be an issue.

With the 2960xm and the GTX680M at 1006 Mhz core /2400 Mhz mémory/ overvolted 1.0v, i never succeed to stabilize an oc on the cpu, but i tried just a couple of days.

I have given up really fast because i saw the power consumption above 230W. I have also try a prema bios that help the cpu running longer on turbo mode, but it was also a fail.

I haven't got any value to communicate, because: - 1 in my laptop, the attempt of cpu overclocking was a total failure -2 The test was done last year 03/2013 and i don't have this laptop anymore.

• 1 month later...

Since upgrading the video card in my Clevo P150HM to GTX 680M my laptop is not able to wake up from sleep mode or reboot - it just shuts down every time I initiate reboot, regardless of how I do it. In order to upgrade video card, I had upgraded my system's BIOS to 1.01.14 and EC to 1.00.13, and I'm using the modded "MSI 680m - 80.04.33.00.24_'OCedition'_revised_02 - OV 1000v.zip" VBIOS and latest 344.48 WHQL driver available. I spent a about a month worth of time trying to resolve these sleep and reboot issues, but to no avail. Tried a bunch of NVIDIA stock and modded drivers, system power option tweaks, disabling and tweaking hibernation mode and many many other things. Finally, when nothing worked I gave up and restored a clean OS image, made by Norton Ghost, where everything worked perfectly. To my frustration, after the restore the sleep and reboot problem didnt go away, which leaves me with the only possible conclusion it's either BIOS or VBIOS or a combination of both, that is at fault.

I also had to upgrade my PSU from stock 180Watt to modded 240Watt version, but I don't think that matters, because the laptop has the same issues when on battery, not connected to power supply.

If @Tonrac or anyone else have any suggestions how to fix this, or what BIOS/VBIOS combination to try - it would be greatly appreciated. I'm absolutely sick of having to restart my system every day because I'm not able to wake it up from sleep, and shutdown instead of reboot is very annoying as well :doubt:

I never had the shutdown issue when asking for a reboot.

The sleep mode issue is driver related. (your laptop start and reload the system image but you got only a blackscreen because the video driver is not initiate).

Maybe try the 80.04.29.00.01 vbios or ask svl7 for the "MSI 680m - 80.04.33.00.24_'OCedition'_revised_01.

Thanks for both of your replies.

@Tonrac When I bought this GTX 680M card it already came with 80.04.29.00.01 VBIOS - laptop was having the same sleep & reboot issues it's having right now.

@Prema Well...thanks for letting me know the reason - at least now I understand it's not something I can fix myself by tweaking OS or trying different graphics drivers...Any chance you'd be able to help?

Any other Clevo P150HM/P170HM & GTX 680M owners care to weigh in? Are you experiencing the same issues? If yes - maybe we can create donation pool to persuade Prema to help us out with fixing the BIOS? If not - please share what BIOS & VBIOS you're using.

• 2 weeks later...
Any other Clevo P150HM/P170HM & GTX 680M owners care to weigh in? Are you experiencing the same issues? If yes - maybe we can create donation pool to persuade Prema to help us out with fixing the BIOS? If not - please share what BIOS & VBIOS you're using.

OK then....let me rephrase that - I will start the bidding at $50, which I will personally donate, to whoever fixes the BIOS or VBIOS for the card to properly work in my laptop and to be able to sleep/wake up and reboot.

• 3 weeks later...
OK then....let me rephrase that - I will start the bidding at $50, which I will personally donate, to whoever fixes the BIOS or VBIOS for the card to properly work in my laptop and to be able to sleep/wake up and reboot.

I guess the joke's on me...going to return the card where I bought it from and purchase GTX 675M, which works fine in my laptop. Disappointing, how with so many devs around no one is willing to help

I am sorry for you.. i never had your shutdown and reboot problem on mine. I only got the problem with waking up after hibernate that don't initialize the card correctly. But with a ssd i don't use the hibernate function anymore. Don't understand what happen on your system then i cannot help. I am not a dev so i cannot fix your problem too. Sorry for that.

I am sorry for you.. i never had your shutdown and reboot problem on mine. I only got the problem with waking up after hibernate that don't initialize the card correctly. But with a ssd i don't use the hibernate function anymore. Don't understand what happen on your system then i cannot help. I am not a dev so i cannot fix your problem too. Sorry for that.

On my nvidia systems i often had to set hybrid sleep to allow sleep or hibernate to start up proper and not to a black screen. i dont know if that workaround still is working.

I guess the joke's on me...going to return the card where I bought it from and purchase GTX 675M, which works fine in my laptop. Disappointing, how with so many devs around no one is willing to help

I as well am sorrry I cant help I dont know how to fix the vbios and such. I hope you get it working.

If someone could have helped you they would have helped you!

You are asking for something very difficult and time consuming and I have yet to meet a person who would be able to help at all.

Working on something like this bricks the system many times until it's done and my own HM system is broken ...so I can't help atm...

But why insist to go the most difficult path and even drop the card if you can't get what you want?

Why not adjust and make the best out of what is working?

Just disable sleep / hibernation and set your Windows to shutdown properly, then reboots should be no problem.

The system literally takes seconds to boot from zero.

You could also try and uninstall the entire Windows 7 SP1, seems to work for some on vBIOS v29.

If someone could have helped you they would have helped you!

You are asking for something very difficult and time consuming and I have yet to meet a person who would be able to help at all.

Working on something like this bricks the system many times until it's done and my own HM system is broken ...so I can't help atm...

But why insist to go the most difficult path and even drop the card if you can't get what you want?

Why not adjust and make the best out of what is working?

Just disable sleep / hibernation and set your Windows to shutdown properly, then reboots should be no problem.

The system literally takes seconds to boot from zero.

You could also try and uninstall the entire Windows 7 SP1, seems to work for some on vBIOS v29.

I'm running Windows 8 64bit, not Windows 7 SP1. My hybernation *is* disabled, and as I've stated in the previous posts I've spent a full month trying to solve this, and I've toggled on and off every power settings combinations, known to men, including sleep and hybernation - it made no difference. I also said I have restored a Norton Ghost image of a clean, new system, where everything was tested and working, where I had no such sleep or reboot issues. It made no difference, so elimination method logic dictates it's BIOS and VBIOS of the card that are at fault and no software setting is going to change that. I don't know what you mean by "make the best out of what's working", but being able to put my laptop to sleep is an absolute must for me, and it's a *huge* pain not being able to do that. It's not optional. This is my primary laptop and I multitask with so many things on it at once - running apps, server applications, browsers,windows, open documents in edit mode, etc' - that it takes me half an hour to restore it each time, if I have to shut down the laptop instead of sleep. And restoring is only possible if before each shut down i manually write down a bunch of things, what was going on, what needs to be restored and to what state.

As far as your advice to uninstall a specific OS goes - even though I'm not running Win7 SP1 - I'm 100% certain it would not have helped and the problem lies below OS level. I say this because even when I don't even go to OS and boot into BIOS and then from within BIOS i tell my laptop to reboot - it shuts down instead. The hardware is simply not capable of rebooting with this BIOS/VBIOS combination, and I've tried 2 BIOSes and 3 VBIOSes (stock and 2 modded ones by svl7).

Yesterday I already purchased GTX 675M card, which runs in this laptop with no issues....I wish this thread had more information about Clevo P150HM and GTX 680M compatibility issues, so I would have known in advance, instead of wasting 1.5 months of my time and going through this pain