P150HM and GTX680M : yes we can

Tonrac

Yeah yeah ... it's my fault ... you talk about an undocumented issue (shutdown unstead of reboot) and you want me to write about that. You forgot that this thread is writing by a guy during his free time... and like prema says it could be an os related issue. My P150Hm run only on windows seven.

I agree that the hibernate issue could be documented, i write about that on other forum but not on that one, i apologize for that. But for your concern, i have sold my P150Hm a year ago, i never test the P150hm on windows 8, and can't do compatibility test anymore. You are angry, it 's your right. But don't shit on my face. By writting this thread i give you some of my time. All the mod, all the tutorials can have issues... you want 100% upgrade success rate : just buy a new computer. I won't update this thread anymore... moderator can erase it if they want... btw, the version of Gtx680m compatible with P150Hm won't be in store anymore. What make me happy is the dozen of people i help with this thread because they had faulty 6990 ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah yeah ... it's my fault ... you talk about an undocumented issue (shutdown unstead of reboot) and you want me to write about that. You forgot that this thread is writing by a guy during his free time... and like prema says it could be an os related issue. My P150Hm run only on windows seven.

I agree that the hibernate issue could be documented, i write about that on other forum but not on that one, i apologize for that. But for your concern, i have sold my P150Hm a year ago, i never test the P150hm on windows 8, and can't do compatibility test anymore. You are angry, it 's your right. But don't shit on my face. By writting this thread i give you some of my time. All the mod, all the tutorials can have issues... you want 100% upgrade success rate : just buy a new computer. I won't update this thread anymore... moderator can erase it if they want... btw, the version of Gtx680m compatible with P150Hm won't be in store anymore.

I never blamed you, or any one person for anything. There is no need for this kind of language. I was just saying other people must have experienced the same issues, because these problems aren't specific to my computer, and it's too bad no one ever bothered to say anything, to warn others.

Ok sorry, i am just a little exhausted. It's one o'clock in France. Your reboot/shutdown problem is a NEW issue. The hibernate doesn't seem to impact all system, i say that it can be a driver issue because i have a debate with a guy on an other topic that didn't encounter the problem... But this was a long long time ago ... i loose the Url of that thread, i promiss you, i searched ... this was a discussion on notebookreview forum ...

To eliminate all doubts, I just burned several hours: I formatted the SSD with the OS and installed brand new and clean Windows 8.1 Pro on it, latest MSDN edition from Microsoft authentic image. I installed all the available Windows Updates and latest NVIDIA graphics driver. Did not touch any power settings or other system settings - everything at defaults after brand new Windows installation. Both, computer reboot and putting it to sleep/waking up failed. Now I'm certain it can only be BIOS/VBIOS and no software configurations, which can be done from Windows would work.

My GTX 675M is on the way to my home, so my laptop will finally be sleeping in peace soon.

I dig a lot to find the discussion about hibernate problem on P150hm and it was here: Can I upgrade my ClevoP170HM to GTX680M ?

It's a driver related issue... but keep in mind that 680m is not officialy supported in P150HM, so Nvidia, Clevo and Microsoft don't validate the driver on it. Windows 8 was released after the P150hm and include some new feature, like hybrid boot, that can in addition with the driver issue cause your problem

disable hybrid boot on windows 8

I dig a lot to find the discussion about hibernate problem on P150hm and it was here: Can I upgrade my ClevoP170HM to GTX680M ?

It's a driver related issue... but keep in mind that 680m is not officialy supported in P150HM, so Nvidia, Clevo and Microsoft don't validate the driver on it. Windows 8 was released after the P150hm and include some new feature, like hybrid boot, that can in addition with the driver issue cause your problem

disable hybrid boot on windows 8

come on man...I already said like 3 times I've tried all power configuration combinations known to men. That includes toggling hybrid sleep on and off. It made no difference.

You also said that you used the latest nvidia driver ... the majority of GTX680M was used in clevo models that support optimus, the bug seem to be resolved on some driver ... but seem to be reintroduced on new one.

i stop here, i post a link where you got the proof that it's a driver related issue ... and you don't read, i talk about the "fast startup feature" ...

i do my best. Sorry that you can't resolve your problem.

You also said that you used the latest nvidia driver ... the majority of GTX680M was used in clevo models that support optimus, the bug seem to be resolved on some driver ... but seem to be reintroduced on new one.

i stop here, i post a link where you got the proof that it's a driver related issue ... and you don't read, i talk about the "fast startup feature" ...

i do my best. Sorry that you can't resolve your problem.

I appreciate you trying to help, but there is no proof of anything in the link you posted. Also, that thread discusses hibernation, not sleep mode. I also said in the very first post, where I reported the problem that I tried a whole bunch of NVIDIA drivers, stock and modded ones from laptopvideo2go, NOT just the latest driver....Kinda tired of repeating myself, so I will say this only 1 more, last time: after everything I've tried and all the tests I did I'm absolutely certain this is not a problem, which can be fixed at OS level - it requires BIOS or VBIOS modification, or both. From Prema's posts I understand no one is ever going to fix the BIOS, so I already gave up and purchased older card, fully compatible with my laptop. I'm not going to spend any more time on this, or try any more suggestions. This case is closed, and as far as I'm concerned GTX 680M card is not compatible with this laptop.

The BIOS is missing the required S3 resume ACPI/SSDT code for GTX680M as it was never officially supported.

Is the latest .14 BIOS missing the required S3 resume ACPI/SSDT code for GTX 675M card as well? If so, would it make a difference if the card is flashed with GTX 580M VBIOS v70.24.2B.00.06?

675M and 580m are technically the same card, but i cannot confirm that flashing a 580m vbios will solve the problem, or not brick the card.

Beware the v70.24.2B.00.06 vbios is for an alienware, correct 580m vbios for clevo seem to be 70.24.26.00.01

Don't forget to backup your original vbios before flashing the new one.

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

• Thumbs Up 1

675M and 580m are technically the same card, but i cannot confirm that flashing a 580m vbios will solve the problem, or not brick the card.

Beware the v70.24.2B.00.06 vbios is for an alienware, correct 580m vbios for clevo seem to be 70.24.26.00.01

Don't forget to backup your original vbios before flashing the new one.

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

Thank you for the reply. 580M VBIOSes flash successfully to 675M...in fact, i flashed 3 different 580M VBIOSes yesterday, including stock & modded ones from Prema and another dev - they work the same as 675M VBIOS. Unfortunately, they do not appear to solve these sleep/resume issues I have, which Prema explained above. Beginning to think I'll be forced to go all the way back to 580M to make this go away

I have restored these the latest .14 BIOS and .13 EC and installed back the original GTX 580M card, with a stock VBIOS. I have selected the recommended Balanced power plan in Power Settings, and have reset its values to defaults. The graphics driver, installed on my system is the latest 344.80 nVIDIA driver available. Despite that, my Clevo P150HM laptop is *STILL* unable to enter sleep mode or wake up from it, and reboot doesn’t work either – laptop shuts down instead. I have also tried resetting the BIOS settings to default, and tried both AHCI and IDE modes in the BIOS. I'm out of ideas what's going on :52_002: Running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit with latest Microsoft updates.

Any advice on how to fix these issues, or at least a clue what is going on would be very much appreciated

Sounds like your Windows is messed up...

I have tried 3 different versions of Windows: 7 x64, 8 Pro x64 and current 8.1 Pro x64. i have tried both, clean installation after drive format and restoring Norton Ghost image with the OS, which was tested and was fully functional with working sleep mode. Also, the laptop doesn't have the ability to reboot prior to loading OS either: If I go to BIOS, and from there select to reboot system - it shuts down instead, just like it does from Windows.

Maybe your BIOS battery is dead!?

See if the BIOS holds date and time after removing the AC power and main battery for 30s!

Tried that, thanks for the suggestion - keep 'em coming. Left the laptop without the main battery for at least 5 minutes, put the battery back in and booted into BIOS right away - no issues with the time. The BIOS also has a setting Low Battery Alarm Beep - I've enabled that, but no beep comes out of it.

A couple more observations:

When I chose Reboot in Windows - the laptop just shuts down instead. But when I chose Shut Down - it appears to go into hibernation instead, despite the fact, hibernation is fully disabled in power settings. Screen goes black, but lights are blinking and I can hear the HDD and the fan working. I'm unable to wake up the laptop from sleep or from hibernation, so in this case I have to long press Power button to power off the machine. When I press Power button again - the screen says Resuming from Hibernation and then Windows boots normally.

Maybe this will give someone some ideas what's going on..I also contacted support of the company I bought the laptop from and they said they're getting in touch with Clevo for help. Not optimistic that anything will come out of it. They'll probably eventually request me to ship the laptop to them for diagnostics, which I'm not going to be able to to....

delete the hiberfil.sys file

I did some more research why hiberfil.sys file was there in the first place, as you correctly guessed, since hibernation was already disabled. Turns out, in Windows 8.1 in order to completely disable hibernation you also have to disable hybrid sleep, PC fast boot mode, and hibernation when battery power is low and when it's critical. After I've disabled all these things the hiberfil.sys file went away on it's own. Just finished testing the impact of that change, and it didnt change much, as far as my problems are concerned. The only difference (besides saving 13.5GB of space) is now when I turn on the laptop using power button it doesn't say Resuming from Hibernation and just boots into Windows normally. I still cannot reboot, cannot put computer to sleep or wake it up from sleep. Automatically timed sleep actually works - if I set in power options PC should sleep after 1 min of inactivity - it does go to sleep. I cannot put it to sleep manually, or wake it up.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...