P150HM and GTX680M : yes we can

Tonrac

I use this vbios since 2 month without problem. It is safe but you must avoid to launch 3d app on battery (even by mistake) because the card has a different behaviour than with stock vbios.

On stock vbios the card detect that you are on battery and don't go to max clock (@max clock the laptop can consume between 174-180W)

with this vbios there is no limit anymore, so there is a risk to damage your battery, if you launch a 3d app and you unplug the PSU.

Modded Inf for GTX680 in PXXHM

https://hotfile.com/dl/181592996/0039f98/nvcv.inf.html

GeForce 310.64 Driver Highlights

• Improves performance in Far Cry 3 by up to 38 percent1.

• Plus, previously-released R310 optimizations:

o Up to 26 percent faster performance in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2;

o Up to 18 percent faster performance in Assassin’s Creed III;

o Smooth, shimmer-free graphics with TXAA anti-aliasing in Call of Duty: Black Ops and Assassin’s Creed III;

o Up to 16 percent in other top games likes Battlefield 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and StarCraft II.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I got some excellent news. Msi 80.04.33.00.24 vbios are fully compatible with P150HM series and seem compatible with P15xEM series.

I flash the 1.0v OV version and got the same score than with the MSI_FD vbios.

Beware of Far cry 3 "The Lost Expedition" missions, it put a lot of pressure on the Gpu and i measure a Max of 200W at outlet ( core@1006Mhz/Mem@2400Mhz/ 1.000v) ... i must drop my frequencie @915Mhz/ 1.000v core to be below 180W ... First game that push the limit of my PSU.

Edit : i forgot to say that i use a custom bios that make the CPU use longer his max TDP, so with the standard Bios, i gain 8-9W.

I got some excellent news. Msi 80.04.33.00.24 vbios are fully compatible with P150HM series and seem compatible with P15xEM series.

I flash the 1.0v OV version and got the same score than with the MSI_FD vbios.

Hi Tonrac,

I'm new here and want to ask where can i find this vbios fir you are talking about ?

Best regards,

Manuel

hi Manuel, welcome

you can find the vbios here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

You need to have five posts to obtain the right of downloading file ... or be a techInferno elite member for 5$

If you got a P150HM, only MSI 80.04.33.00.24 and Clevo 80.04.29.00.01 are compatible.

Other vbios will make your laptop unbootable.

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there,im already using the MSI 80.04.33.00.24-1volt bios and when i go 980 core and 2400 mem its ok,but if i increase the core to 1000mhz,the whole laptop shutsdown!!!

Maybe my 180psu is overlimit!!!

I also using 310.70 drivers.

Is it the problem the psu or my card doesnt like it?:distress:

And last, does the msi fd bios(saltious)works with P150HM?

Thank you mates!!:D

Hi

I use 310.90 but the shutdown is not driver related. you are right your 180W psu is overloaded, so the laptop shutdown to prevent damage. I have got the same problem with MSI ov 1v but only with Far Cry 3, i record a peak @ 200w, which is huge for a 180w psu. I decide to flash the card with msi 80.04.33.00.24 oc edition with stock voltage (0.987v) and oc to a max 980/2400. You won't notice a huge difference in game (only 20mhz less - 1 or 3 fps less).

Yes the msi fd bios works with P150HM, but they are less stables than the msi final (sometimes the card stay at idle clock when you launch 3d app).

You can try this one : http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2062-using-your-4gb-gtx-680m-its-safest-full-potential.html

But it's also a 1v ov so i think it will overload your psu too.

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

i found a way to bypass overload, this issue affect only few games (at that moment only far cry 3) i overclock my LCD refresh rate to 80Hz, and then, i enable nvidia adaptative vsync. So when i launch the level lost expedition, it limit the max fps and then the power drawn goes down.

I hope that you will make a tutorial on how to mod the 240w PSU

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Modded .inf pour nvidia 310.90 Whql

https://hotfile.com/dl/191164949/1868af2/nvcv.inf.html

Modded .inf pour nvidia 313.95 bêta

https://hotfile.com/dl/191165068/829854c/nvcv.inf.html

Hope that Prema will find a way to make the GTX680M recognize by the P150HM's bios like he did with his P170HM.

Hi,

can you please guide me to the URL to Premas tread ? Is this Bios modification allready out ?

Regards,

Manuel

Hi,

Currently i have an P150HM with an Core i7-2720QM, 16GB RAM and an GTX485M and I'm very interested in upgrading my system to an GTX680M.

What performance gains should i expect from my secs ?

Any advices where to buy an suitable GTX680M for my system around germany ? Are there any reseller around Europe who sells them "pre flashed" for use in the P150HM ?

What vBIOS should i flash to the card to get it running on my system once i have it ?

Best regards,

Manuel

@nabelo: The only vbios that seems to work fine in that system is the MSI or the older Clevo vbios, as stated in the second post of the kepler vbios mods thread. There are many German Clevo resellers who sell cards, and I bet they still have cards with the older vbios in stock, you'd just need to ask before buying. A cheaper source would be ebay, and again, ask the seller about the vbios version before buying the card.

• Thumbs Up 1