M15x 470M thermal compound suggestions

schlombe

Hey all,

Quick question for you. I am about to buy one of these cards (470M) for my M15X. I am trying to find a thermal compound that is best with these units. Can you please advise which one you would recommend for this card and Alienware model? I'm told that Arctic Silver 5 is pretty good for these, but I would think you guys would know best :)

Thanks...

• Founder

Personally I dislike ICD 7. I know it has great longevity and results but it is difficult to remove and scratches the die. Right now I prefer mx4.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...

Indigo Xtreme!! heh. That's what I'm using...just put it in yesterday morning on both the CPU (i7-920xm) and GPU (ATI HD5850). Took a little work, but it's running 5-10C cooler than whatever the stock gunk was. I am able to run the 5850 OC'ed at 800-1200 and OV by 50mv with no hiccups at all, GPU temps are staying in the low-mid 70's C.

I was just wondering why you decided to buy the 470m? What was your reasoning and not wanting to get the 6970m or 6990m or 7970m? I am sure it is for money reason but still would like to know nevertheless. I am not sure of all the GPU the M15x can upgrade to but seems like with myself having the gtx 260m that if you were upgrading you would have went with something better than the 470m. I mean no offense either btw just curious.

Ive used Mx-4, ICD7, Prolimatech PK - 1. All of them handle very close so id say like Brian stated dont use ICD if you may reoaste more than once since its almost impossible to remove without atleast a slight scuff left behind.