GT60 from Sager NP9150

brian540

Recently bought the NP9150.. the audio is very unimpressive from both the speakers and output from the headphone jacks so returning this-

I was wondering what the opinion is on swapping the hard drive from my NP9150 to the new GT60 on the way?

Do you think the windows installation would be ok?

I would uninstall the sager based software / anything I can attempt to find that would be unrelated before I put it into the GT60 (haven't returned the sager just yet)

Another question:

The MSATA slot in the MSI, would it support a half pcie express wifi/bluetooth card? I want to put the intel card in there and disable the wireless and use only the bluetooth 4.0 (killer 1103 is my primary wireless)

If this is possible, would the intel card need at least one antenna? (found a new intel 2230 for $7, antenna is less than $2)

Would prefer the internal bluetooth vs an external dongle

Thanks in advance

• Founder

I would recommend reinstalling Windows when moving from one system to another. Backup what you need before you do so. If you absolutely need to keep the installation, then you'll probably need to reinstall everything from the sound drivers to the chipset drivers. Not sure about using BT in the MSATA port, I guess you could try it and let us know.

1. The MSI speakers are far superior to the Sager speakers, you won't be disappointed.

2. As Brian said, I'd do a fresh install as not all of the drivers are the same and your system may not function properly. It's always safe to start clean.

3. The mSATA slots are only available if you get the SKU with the Super RAID, otherwise, there will be a regular HDD slopt for 2.5'' drives. The mSATA slots replace the second HDD bay, it's an add-on PCB that adds that functionality.

Why not get the Killer 1202-N card? It's the same as the 1102, just with BT 4.0 built in. Also, the notebook only has 2 antennae, so a 3 band wireless card will provide no benefit over a 2 band.

What's strange is that my 16F2 has BT built into the motherboard. I wonder if they scraped it from the GT60 because of all the WiFi/BT combo cards available now.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. The MSI speakers are far superior to the Sager speakers, you won't be disappointed.

2. As Brian said, I'd do a fresh install as not all of the drivers are the same and your system may not function properly. It's always safe to start clean.

3. The mSATA slots are only available if you get the SKU with the Super RAID, otherwise, there will be a regular HDD slopt for 2.5'' drives. The mSATA slots replace the second HDD bay, it's an add-on PCB that adds that functionality.

Why not get the Killer 1202-N card? It's the same as the 1102, just with BT 4.0 built in. Also, the notebook only has 2 antennae, so a 3 band wireless card will provide no benefit over a 2 band.

What's strange is that my 16F2 has BT built into the motherboard. I wonder if they scraped it from the GT60 because of all the WiFi/BT combo cards available now.

2. Suppose I will just didn't want to have to install the games...

3. Must have misread that there was an msata slot, do you think New Mini PCI-e SSD to 2.5" SATA Converter Adapter Case for Asus Dell IBM | eBay would work to convert the sata 2 slot to a mini pcie? Looks like this is made for an msata hard drive just would wonder if the pins are all there that are needed for a wifi/bluetooth card

I thought about getting the killer 1202 but I already had bought a 450mbs asus router for the sager with my killer 1103, so I had xotic install the killer 1103 + the third antenna

Do you have an external drive? You could load up the install files on those.

I'm not sure if the adapter will work. I've never heard of someone putting one in this notebook for the mSATA slot. I'm also not too sure about the compatibility of a wireless card in the slot. It says mPCI-e which is the right factor.

If you're returning the notebook aren't you returning the wireless card as well? Might as well get the 1202 when you order the MSI. :)

Do you have an external drive? You could load up the install files on those.

I'm not sure if the adapter will work. I've never heard of someone putting one in this notebook for the mSATA slot. I'm also not too sure about the compatibility of a wireless card in the slot. It says mPCI-e which is the right factor.

If you're returning the notebook aren't you returning the wireless card as well? Might as well get the 1202 when you order the MSI. :)

since i paid so much for the router i would prefer to try and keep the 1103

Have another potential idea... USB 2.0 to SATA Drive Adapter with Molex Power and LED Output USB2-SATA11 LOW PRICE $12.98 sata to usb.. and maybe just install a usb 4.0 dongle ? only thing that would be concerning is range, but maybe I could open up one of those dongles and attach an 2.4ghz antenna?

I don't understand why you care so much about the difference between the 1202 and 1203/1103. You realize 450mb/s is 56.25MB/s download speeds? No ISP is capable of providing those types of speeds, let alone 300mb/s which is 37.5MB/s download. I doubt you see higher than 3MB/s, which is only 24mb/s!

Also, the 3rd antenna is a moot point. The MSI only has 2 antennae that wrap around the LCD, it doesn't support 3x3 wireless cards. My honest opinion is to buy a wifi/BT combo card and call it a day. Since you are returning you laptop with the 1103, just buy the next one with the 1202. It's by far the simplest solution.

I don't understand why you care so much about the difference between the 1202 and 1203/1103. You realize 450mb/s is 56.25MB/s download speeds? No ISP is capable of providing those types of speeds, let alone 300mb/s which is 37.5MB/s download. I doubt you see higher than 3MB/s, which is only 24mb/s!

Also, the 3rd antenna is a moot point. The MSI only has 2 antennae that wrap around the LCD, it doesn't support 3x3 wireless cards. My honest opinion is to buy a wifi/BT combo card and call it a day. Since you are returning you laptop with the 1103, just buy the next one with the 1202. It's by far the simplest solution.

Gentech and Xotic both install the third antenna....

The increased range and network strength with 3 antennas is worth it to me - which is why I just want to create an alternative bluetooth solution. I don't use bluetooth all that often, but occasionally and would prefer to not carry the dongle or have it taking up one of the USB ports all the time.

I stream HD to my tv from my laptop occasionally and having the third antenna has so far been extremely benefical on the 1103 on the sager, comparing to my two antenna card on my macbook which occasionally stutters as the signal strength is typically fluctuating

additionally I already have my order placed from a few days ago and now in production with the 1103, likely to cancel would be an additional fee if they already opened it up to install the third antenna and or further delay my order

wish there was a 1203 =( best of both worlds

• Thumbs Up 1

Gentech and Xotic both install the third antenna....

The increased range and network strength with 3 antennas is worth it to me - which is why I just want to create an alternative bluetooth solution. I don't use bluetooth all that often, but occasionally and would prefer to not carry the dongle or have it taking up one of the USB ports all the time.

I stream HD to my tv from my laptop occasionally and having the third antenna has so far been extremely benefical on the 1103 on the sager, comparing to my two antenna card on my macbook which occasionally stutters as the signal strength is typically fluctuating

additionally I already have my order placed from a few days ago and now in production with the 1103, likely to cancel would be an additional fee if they already opened it up to install the third antenna and or further delay my order

wish there was a 1203 =( best of both worlds

Sorry for the delay, just got off my 14-hour shift.

Ah, well if Xotic and Gentech say they install the 3rd antenna then I believe it. That's not a standard option for the notebook though, so it's something extra they do. Didn't know that.

Range is definitely a huge plus and I see where you are coming from. My router is in the basement; on the 2nd floor I'll be lucky to get 3+ with my 2-antenna card.

Xotic/Gentech are known to bend backs for their customers. A delay is a possibility, but why not call and ask? Wouldn't it solve your dilemma if they could swap it? They wouldn't charge you a fee for doing it, they would charge you the difference in price for the upgrade. Although, the best BT+WiFi combo is going to get you 2 antennae. Maybe a USB dongle would be the most convenient? I would ask whomever you bought it from if BT is built into the mobo, because it is for the 16F2, so I can't see why they would drop it in the next generation. That way you could stick with the 1103.

:P Silly me, the 1203 doesn't exist! It would be nice if they made one though.

• 4 months later...

Is there some kind of guide on where all the internal slots and compartments are for the GT60?

Been looking high and low for my GX60 but could not find any. Something like the hardware maintenance manuals that Lenovo provides would be great.