My M14x R2 PCH cooling mod

Hi all,

since im using my M14x R2 mainly with an external monitor my PCH temps were quite a bit too high for my taste. So i bought a copper shim of 15mm x 15mm x 1mm to put it between the lid and the chip. The PCH is the most important chip right after the CPU and GPU so i thought it needed proper cooling too.

I also removed all stickers on the lid and backside of the keyboard since its not good for passive cooling too. Then i repasted this chip (->which comes only with a crap cooling stripe factory wise) with IC Diamond and put the copper shim between the chip and lid. I used the drop method and let the lid pressure spread it evenly.

These are the results:

before mod in idle:

post-3311-14494993429812_thumb.jpg

with mod in idle:

post-3311-14494993429992_thumb.jpg

Since its a passive cooling mod its mainly for idle cause the temps cant go down that good due to the lack of active cooling. While gaming or other PCH stressing activity i had up to 78 C on that thing. Now i guess it will rarely hit 70 C. Will post the stresstest temp results later.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey, cool idea!! Do you have some pics of the mod? I'd love to see it :)

sorry forgot to make pics :/

But its easy to do this mod. you only have to remove the cover + battery ofc. Then remove 2 screws from below. Then peel off the keyboard surrounding plastics. Then remove the keyboard and right below it sits the PCH lid and the PCH itself on the right side.

here are some pics to show you (not my own):

PCH location

post-3311-14494993430214_thumb.jpg

copper shim

post-3311-14494993430369_thumb.jpg

15mm x 15mm x 1mm fits perfect dont buy a more thick one it could be a problem maybe.

• Thumbs Up 3

These are the temps while running 3dmark vantage + max OC with svl7`s VBIOS mod. Waaay cooler than before! At the moment we also have very high ambient temps of 27 C in my living room (damn summer).

post-3311-14494993431373_thumb.jpg

edit: Maybe it has nothing to do with this but i found the test graphics feels like running much more fluent. Before i think i can rememer a bit of a tearing effect which has gone now.

@thanats007 where'd you get the copper shim from? I might try this on my M18x. Thanks for the pics + test results!

EBay has them but you usually need to buy 5+ at a time. $1 a pop IIRC.

Edit: I see goldpart has them 2 for $1 now shipped from China. Prices have gone down a little.

Sent from my Sensation

EBay has them but you usually need to buy 5+ at a time. $1 a pop IIRC.

Edit: I see goldpart has them 2 for $1 now shipped from China. Prices have gone down a little.

Sent from my Sensation

Yes thats right i bought mine from ebay. I was lucky to find a private seller who maybe wanted to push his reputation and sold them one by one for 1 Euro each.

Next step is to use low profile small copper heatsinks for the CPU together with liquid metal paste. Maybe in a week or so.. will post results with pics then.

Im curious, what is between the current little piece of metal and the PCH as shipped from the factory? Is it just a standard thermal pad? Either way, keep up the good work, this is a great idea!

No its no thermal pad. Its the worst thermal TAPE ive ever seen. Its thin, doesnt stick any good and cuts / falls apart even when you stare at it. :grey:

However ive used this crap tape as contact between my copper shim and the lid in the little hope it has at least 0,5wk or so to send some of the heat partly to the lid.

But im thinking about replacing this crap tape for a very thin pad or sekisui even.

No its no thermal pad. Its the worst thermal TAPE ive ever seen. Its thin, doesnt stick any good and cuts / falls apart even when you stare at it. :grey:

However ive used this crap tape as contact between my copper shim and the lid in the little hope it has at least 0,5wk or so to send some of the heat partly to the lid.

But im thinking about replacing this crap tape for a very thin pad or sekisui even.

Do you think it would be a good idea to put some of the Fujipoly thermal pad between the PCH and the factory metal contact? I ordered some 0.5mm and 1.0mm thermal pad, so I can use the thinner of the 2 if it would provide any improvement. its 6.0w/mk thermal pad, I haven't used it as yet, personally, it will be here on Monday but I've heard really good things. I'll be replacing the factory pad on my GDDR5 with it, may make no difference but i figure what the heck, might as well when i pull it apart to repaste.

Do you think it would be a good idea to put some of the Fujipoly thermal pad between the PCH and the factory metal contact? I ordered some 0.5mm and 1.0mm thermal pad, so I can use the thinner of the 2 if it would provide any improvement. its 6.0w/mk thermal pad, I haven't used it as yet, personally, it will be here on Monday but I've heard really good things. I'll be replacing the factory pad on my GDDR5 with it, may make no difference but i figure what the heck, might as well when i pull it apart to repaste.

I think everything would be better than the factory stuff. More so the pads youre mentioning. Dells factory thermal tape is just horrible - at least inside the M14x.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering I opened up my m14x today and im stilling waiting for my shim to arrive. However I was wondering was the thermal paste appiled both underneath and ontop of the shim then with the lid on top? Mine had a thermal pad on it I guess I should just remove it correct?

• 4 months later...