[Alienware] [M17x r3] NVidia 680M Compatibility with 3D Controller

J95

• 2 weeks later...

Hi svl7, for your info, I tried with a 680m with bios 4.0.33 and It does not work, Regards and thanks for your great job

I need to correct something regarding the 675m... this can't work, forgot something. Might still work for the 680m. Anyway, it's also possible that there are other things I need to change in order to make it work.

Hi svl7, I want to upgrade my M17X R3 3D(120Hz, GTX460M) to GTX675M.

I alread replaced it but it can't work completely. I can't find vbios, Can you help me?

This is my hardware ID as in attached picture.

post-7911-14494994022488_thumb.jpg

Model: GTX 675M

Part #: N13E-GS1-LP

CUDA Cores: 336

VRAM: 2GB GDDR5

Clock/Memory: 598MHz/1500MHz

TDP: 75W

Interface: MXM 3.0B

Size: 82x105mm (3.2x4.1”)

SLI Ready: Y

3D Capable: Y

There is, or at least there will soon be, at least I though I somewhere read about a Clevo with 3d screen, might be wrong though.

580m 3d support got introduced with A07. If you have a copy of A06, let me know :P

Anyway, it might also require some changes in the ACPI.

Hi svl7, here is a link where you can download all the old BIOS(for M17x R3): Drivers for Laptops\Alienware\Alienware M17X R3

Thanks, but A06 was never realeased, it only came pre-installed on some boards... so it's not on the Dell ftp.

Anyway, I completely forgot... I promised someone an experimental mod... will do when I get the chance.

Hi svl7, I want to upgrade my M17X R3 3D(120Hz, GTX460M) to GTX675M.

I alread replaced it but it can't work completely. I can't find vbios, Can you help me?

This is my hardware ID as in attached picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5542[/ATTACH]

Model: GTX 675M

Part #: N13E-GS1-LP

CUDA Cores: 336

VRAM: 2GB GDDR5

Clock/Memory: 598MHz/1500MHz

TDP: 75W

Interface: MXM 3.0B

Size: 82x105mm (3.2x4.1”)

SLI Ready: Y

3D Capable: Y

In case 3D tab doesn't show with a GTX675M you can just flash it to a GTX580M to enable it.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, but A06 was never realeased, it only came pre-installed on some boards... so it's not on the Dell ftp.

Anyway, I completely forgot... I promised someone an experimental mod... will do when I get the chance.

Great job with the Kepler vbios mods.

• 1 month later...
Here's a test version which might help with 3d support for R3 users with the 120Hz screen and the 680m.

The archive comes with a password, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I want to prevent people from just grabbing the file anonymously and then never providing feedback, it's a test version and I need to know whether this tweak makes any difference.

It's as save to flash as a stock version, so don't worry about this. In the best case 3d will work, in the worst you won't notice a difference.

If someone likes to test it, please let me know in this thread or PM me, and I'll send you the pw. Looking forward to hearing from you guys. :)

Hi, could you send me the link and password of this BIOS please?

I'm new so I can't download attachment T_T

I have a R3 and 680m (I bought it from Eurocom but its vendor is Dell).

Thank you :D

• 2 weeks later...

Still not sure about this. Someone wants to buy my Dell 680m and is asking if it will work in an Alienware m17x R3, and if the 480m heatsink will work with the 680m ???? Can anyone shed some light, would be appreciated!

EDIT: Looks like no go without modding..

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a test version which might help with 3d support for R3 users with the 120Hz screen and the 680m.

The archive comes with a password, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I want to prevent people from just grabbing the file anonymously and then never providing feedback, it's a test version and I need to know whether this tweak makes any difference.

It's as save to flash as a stock version, so don't worry about this. In the best case 3d will work, in the worst you won't notice a difference.

If someone likes to test it, please let me know in this thread or PM me, and I'll send you the pw. Looking forward to hearing from you guys. :)

Hi svl7,

I have a 680m in M17xR3 too, but I can't download this file. Could you please send me that file? I really want to try this out. Hope that file works ^ ^

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

@svl7 Nvidia fixed the blank screen bug.

"Yes. This is a VBIOS issue. We fixed it in VBIOS but will require an update from Alienware. It was just fixed and verified a couple of days ago."

"CLEVO issue same cause and VBIOS also fixed it. For both laptops, the DFP entries in DCB table is ruled as invalid, so no gpio data set, and hence we don't detect the panel at all. "

Are these entries included in the Bios rom modules for the whitelist check ?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544882/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-320-18-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-23-13-/81/

Similar issue Alienware M17x M18x New NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB DDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay

Clevo card *** Please take note that this video card DOES NOT work with 3D enabled notebooks. We are working on resolving this issue and till take this notice down when we have it up and running ***

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
@svl7 Nvidia fixed the blank screen bug.

"Yes. This is a VBIOS issue. We fixed it in VBIOS but will require an update from Alienware. It was just fixed and verified a couple of days ago."

"CLEVO issue same cause and VBIOS also fixed it. For both laptops, the DFP entries in DCB table is ruled as invalid, so no gpio data set, and hence we don't detect the panel at all. "

Are these entries included in the Bios rom modules for the whitelist check ?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544882/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-320-18-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-5-23-13-/81/

Similar issue Alienware M17x M18x New NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB DDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay

Clevo card *** Please take note that this video card DOES NOT work with 3D enabled notebooks. We are working on resolving this issue and till take this notice down when we have it up and running ***

hello J95

so its been a year has any1 any news as to 120hz 3d screen laptops and the 680m 4gb clevo 780m clevo 880m clevo? or msi?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello people, I just got a GTX 680M DELL videocard for my Alienware x17 R3 120hz 3D enabled laptop. I can test any bios that can help fixing the 3D stuff. I dont use 3D at all :P but might help other people who like this feat.

• 2 months later...
If an R3 user with 680m/780m is in for testing for 3d functionality, let me know. BIOS flashing required of course.

If it still needs testing, I would be willing to test, I've bricked my system a few times, sooo, I'm not afraid to do it again, lol.