[Alienware] [M17x r3] NVidia 680M Compatibility with 3D Controller

J95

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alienware-L_Porras

Great Stuff, signed! BTW if you guys have any feedback or any cool ideas make sure you post them on IdeaStorm, we are always reviewing that :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If some people are willing to test some things I might be able to patch something together...

I will test if you're still interested, shipping estimates two weeks(Clevo/Sager)

Good work, thanks.

Sure. Quick question... do other Nvidia cards which weren't officially sold with the R3 got optimus working?

I have a 675m now and Optimus works, but of course it is the same as the 580m which was sold with the R3.

I am not sure if any Kepler cards work with Optimus in the R3, we might know more in a few months as cards like the 675mx start to release and people with R3's try to upgrade. Right now the 680m is really the only Kepler card that is an upgrade for most people with an R3 so it is the only one I have seen people try.

It is totally possible, and perhaps even likely, that the R3 hardware is just not compatible with Kepler and Optimus for whatever reason. I just thought perhaps there is some section of the bios that has all the hardware IDs or something for cards with Optimus and perhaps all that is needed is adding the 680m to that list. The 675m being the same as the 580m might match to an ID but the 680m is totally new and wouldn't.

I see... but the 675m has a different device ID, so I'm not sure whether it has something to do with the ID. I found something intriguing in the bios which seems to be related to Optimus or the 3d stuff, and I'll look into it, but can't say whether it will make a difference.

So far I don't know what is needed to make Optimus running, I would have guessed that it simply depends on the vendor ID, but that doesn't seem the case, else the 680m would work. Unfortunately I don't have access to an Optimus system, else I could try some stuff... would be really interesting to know what it takes to make it worth, might be a GPIO pin which is set in the vbios, did anyone already try a Dell 680m in the M17x R3?

Does 3d work in the R3 with a Clevo 580m?

I see... but the 675m has a different device ID, so I'm not sure whether it has something to do with the ID. I found something intriguing in the bios which seems to be related to Optimus or the 3d stuff, and I'll look into it, but can't say whether it will make a difference.

So far I don't know what is needed to make Optimus running, I would have guessed that it simply depends on the vendor ID, but that doesn't seem the case, else the 680m would work. Unfortunately I don't have access to an Optimus system, else I could try some stuff... would be really interesting to know what it takes to make it worth, might be a GPIO pin which is set in the vbios, did anyone already try a Dell 680m in the M17x R3?

Does 3d work in the R3 with a Clevo 580m?

As for Optimus it is weird, because what it seems like is that the card does not report the same device ID to Windows when it is in SG mode versus PEG. There is a whole thread over on notebookreview, but basically people have tried both Clevo and Dell 680m cards. For the Optimus they just cannot get the drivers to install unless they switch to PEG only, so it might be an INF issue, it might be a hardware issue, it is totally unclear.

For 3D no 680m works at all, there have been people who have tried both the Dell and Clevo 680m and with the built-in screen neither will run 3D. Also, if you take a Dell 580m and flash it to 675m 3D stops working even on the exact same card, so it definitely has something to do with the card model in the vBios and the interaction with the system bios.

Here's a test version which might help with 3d support for R3 users with the 120Hz screen and the 680m.

The archive comes with a password, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I want to prevent people from just grabbing the file anonymously and then never providing feedback, it's a test version and I need to know whether this tweak makes any difference.

It's as save to flash as a stock version, so don't worry about this. In the best case 3d will work, in the worst you won't notice a difference.

If someone likes to test it, please let me know in this thread or PM me, and I'll send you the pw. Looking forward to hearing from you guys. :)

M17x R3 - 680m - 3D [TEST].zip

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a test version which might help with 3d support for R3 users with the 120Hz screen and the 680m.

The archive comes with a password, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I want to prevent people from just grabbing the file anonymously and then never providing feedback, it's a test version and I need to know whether this tweak makes any difference.

It's as save to flash as a stock version, so don't worry about this. In the best case 3d will work, in the worst you won't notice a difference.

If someone likes to test it, please let me know in this thread or PM me, and I'll send you the pw. Looking forward to hearing from you guys. :)

MY Sager 680M will arrive approx. 12 days. Is the 580M still supported with this Bios?

Good Work!

Hi svl7, I am willing to try it in my M17xR3 3D; right now I have the 580m, which I can flash to 675m, which is known not to work due to the bios restriction; If your bios hack works with this one, I can try with a clevo 680m 4GB that I have in another system. Looking forward your answer.

I need to correct something regarding the 675m... this can't work, forgot something. Might still work for the 680m. Anyway, it's also possible that there are other things I need to change in order to make it work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess it must be quite challenging, because nvidia has invested in assuring "exclusivity" to some manufacturers; you can see that there is no clevo, msi, etc with a 680m capable of 3dvision in the laptop screen (as far as I know).

Sure it is linked to the video card vbios and system bios, so perhaps the only way is to "fake" the 680m or 675m bios so the system bios sees a 580m....

As you will remembered dell introduced the 580m 3dvision support in a late bios (I do not remembered if it was 05, but I am sure it was not present in bios A04 (I have to change my motherboard, and it came with that bios), and the 3dvision tab did not appear till I flashed to A8 unlocked.

Hope this info is usefull,

I guess it must be quite challenging, because nvidia has invested in assuring "exclusivity" to some manufacturers; you can see that there is no clevo, msi, etc with a 680m capable of 3dvision in the laptop screen (as far as I know).

Sure it is linked to the video card vbios and system bios, so perhaps the only way is to "fake" the 680m or 675m bios so the system bios sees a 580m....

As you will remembered dell introduced the 580m 3dvision support in a late bios (I do not remembered if it was 05, but I am sure it was not present in bios A04 (I have to change my motherboard, and it came with that bios), and the 3dvision tab did not appear till I flashed to A8 unlocked.

I also thought about that (fake vBios), using the 680m install paths with the 580m entries (drivers), still this will bring issues with certain apps/games a different architecture involved.

Monitor IDs :

MONITOR: LGD02C5

Compatible Ids: *PNP09FF

Base Container ID: {00000000-0000-0000-ffff-ffffffffffff}

Physical Device Object name: \Device\0000008d

Device class guid: {4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Device Instance Path: DISPLAY\LGD02C5\5&358E63D4&8&UID1090640

Capabilities : 000000E0

CM_DEVCAP_SILENTINSTALL

CM_DEVCAP_RAWDEVICEOK

CM_DEVCAP_SURPRISEREMOVALOK

Security: 00 04 90 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00

00 60 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 10 01 01 00 00

00 00 05 12 00 00 00 00 00 18 00 00 00 00 10 01 02 00 00

00 00 05 20 00 00 00 20 02 00 00 01 00 18 00 00 00 00 10

02 00 00 00 00 00 05 20 00 00 00 2B 02 00 00 00 00 14 00

00 00 10 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 05 04 00 00 00

Security SDS: D:P(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GA;;;BA)(D;;GA;;;RD)(A;;GA;;;IU)

There is, or at least there will soon be, at least I though I somewhere read about a Clevo with 3d screen, might be wrong though.

580m 3d support got introduced with A07. If you have a copy of A06, let me know :P

Anyway, it might also require some changes in the ACPI.

• 3 weeks later...