Incoming Clevo 680M (4GB) for AW M18x-R1

Brian

Which games do you want to see tested? Limit selection to 4 choices.  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which games do you want to see tested? Limit selection to 4 choices.

Thanks for the heads-up Julian! Will keep that in mind when the 680M arrives tomorrow. And welcome to Tech|Inferno!

Edit: @jhmonroy is HDMI out working for you with the 680M?

Its Friday WooT any news yet Brian?

I was informed this last time; The 680M has full HDMI functionality except 3D on R3 systems at this time - the 7970M has had some issues with HDMI. It is unknown if there is a fix at this time, it is being investigated.

Cheers. :)

• Founder

Oles @chiefule the 680M is out for delivery on the truck! Should be here shortly but I won't be installing it until this evening since I have to run some 580M SLi benchmarks with these latest drivers. Poll will be closing in a few hours so cast your final votes! Just note: It will be the top 4 (not 5) + Metro2033.

I'm just a little confused as that would be Feb. That seems a little longer than most cards from production to initial release. Nvidia has been holding these back for a while, why they didn't release them ASAP to compete against the 7970M is what puzzles me.

Its Friday WooT any news yet Brian?

I was informed this last time; The 680M has full HDMI functionality except 3D on R3 systems at this time - the 7970M has had some issues with HDMI. It is unknown if there is a fix at this time, it is being investigated.

Yes it works

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Cheers @chiefule ! Is your CPU at stock? Mine is slightly OC'd to 3.5 GHz so that might throw results off comparing it to yours. I don't plan to run my results with the CPU at stock since I'm comparing graphics card performance with the CPU largely ignored.

Cheers @chiefule ! Is your CPU at stock? Mine is slightly OC'd to 3.5 GHz so that might throw results off comparing it to yours. I don't plan to run my results with the CPU at stock since I'm comparing graphics card performance with the CPU largely ignored.

Hey Brian,

Yup both CPU and GPU clocks are running at stock. I can boost them to match your clock settings once you have some benches out.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3987468

• Founder
Hey Brian,

Yup both CPU and GPU clocks are running at stock. I can boost them to match your clock settings once you have some benches out.

@chiefule awesome! I'll PM you the exact settings of my CPU so you can match it. Do you have any of the games I'll be benchmarking? Some of them have built-in benchmarks which makes it easy (e.g. batman/metro) while others like Crysis 2 have utilities (I used the one made by japa) to take care of it.

Edit: BTW why do your screenshots show a 2760qm and sig 2920xm?

@chiefule awesome! I'll PM you the exact settings of my CPU so you can match it. Do you have any of the games I'll be benchmarking? Some of them have built-in benchmarks which makes it easy (e.g. batman/metro) while others like Crysis 2 have utilities (I used the one made by japa) to take care of it.

Edit: BTW why do your screenshots show a 2760qm and sig 2920xm?

Cool Cool. Yeh I have a few of the games. I just need to find them and install them again.

Yeh I just saw that about the CPU identification. I definitely have the 2920XM ES that I bought off Marco a while back.

I'm not sure why it is reporting it as the 2760 lol and then down below it states it as 2.40Ghz (ES) Weird! lol

How are your initial impressions of the GTX680M GPU so far?

Just for good measure here is a complete stock bench I ran on the dual 6990Ms before I upgraded to the 7970Ms

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8308/21150495.jpg = crossfire 6990Ms

vs

http://imageshack.us/f/98/67177173.jpg/ = single 7970M

As you can see 1x 7970M is getting pretty close to dual 6990M GPU scores!

It will be interesting to see what the 680M brings to the table..........and then even more interesting once the GPU drivers have gone through a few more revisions to refine performance from both camps.

• Founder

@chiefule ok good! Was a little confused there for a sec lol. I haven't even installed the 680M yet, I had a ton of things to do today and I'm just now finishing up benchmarking the 580M. I did 580M stock + OC runs so it takes a bit of time. I'll hopefully install the 680M tomorrow afternoon and start benchmarking + vbios flashing :D

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

Ok 680M is in! Big thanks to @jhmonroy for his inf tips, saved me a lot of time figuring out the entries on my own. Fan control works good, idle temp is around 44-45C which ain't bad. I initially pasted with ICD7 but that stuff just scratches everything and is difficult to work with so I got rid of it and put in MX-4. I'll just repaste every few months, no big deal. The M18x still isn't put back together, I just did a quick boot up to check and make sure everything is working. Going to run mark 11 just to see how it does at default and then put everything back together and start benching :D

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
Awesome Brian, which vbios are you using for that run and what clocks.

@svl7 msi unlocked bios. I'll have to double check on the clocks since I've done a ton of runs since then.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder
Sweet man, yea that MSI bios is awesome sadly I am too scared to try it on my OEM alienware card hehe...might brick.

It's under warranty isn't it? But with the different type of ram modules I'd be hesitant.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder
yep it is, but rather not open up a new system. Wondering if blind flashing is possible if card has been bricked via incompatible memory vbios.

@svl7 might know the answer to that. Anyway that's one of the reasons I didn't move to an R2. The Dell cards seem gimped.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Thumbs Up 1

Teaser pic for you guys, this is 3dmark 11 with the GPU OC'd on STOCK voltage (this already bests my 580M SLi OC'd score):

WOW! Check that opening score out ey! It's going for GOLD already! ;)

I can't wait to see some more benches soon.

Imagine this in SLi lol HAHA 8GB of VRAM lol ahahahaha!!! :Banane52:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
WOW! Check that opening score out ey! It's going for GOLD already! ;)

I can't wait to see some more benches soon.

Imagine this in SLi lol HAHA 8GB of VRAM lol ahahahaha!!! :Banane52:

Latest (and final for now) score is higher :) That one will be in the review that will be going up later this week.