Incoming Clevo 680M (4GB) for AW M18x-R1

Brian

Which games do you want to see tested? Limit selection to 4 choices.  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which games do you want to see tested? Limit selection to 4 choices.

• Founder

Update: Work on the article has started. I finished all the benchmarks + graphs and am in the process of finishing up the article before I pass it on to our editors for peer review. Hoping to have it out by Tuesday or Wednesday the latest. It'll be fairly short and to the point, I'm guessing a max of 3-4 pages. Eventually I'll do a follow-up to it when I get SLI.

• Thumbs Up 4

Review is out, take a look and let me know what you guys think: nVidia GTX 680M Performance Review | Tech|Inferno

Very nice review. These Kepler's are beasts. Seems like SLI will be quite a nice setup for those upgrading; especially when drivers mature. Any note on the temps and how they compared to Fermi? Thanks for getting the review up quick!

GREAT SCORES!!!

So I got my 4gb 680m in my m18x today , got the drivers installed and it overclocked stably to 855 and I stopped at 2300mhz ram (both might go higher but afterburner does not give me any more core adjustment and I did not test higher mem yet)

I am having a problem though ... the computer is not reading my cpu as having the 3000 hd graphics which means I could not use optomis ... when I hit F7 it said this switches graphics and restart yes or no but when I hit yes it would restart and no change ... BIOS would not read the integrated graphics at all ... this started the moment I booted into windows with the 680m installed ... in fairness I also changed my cpu at the same time to a 2920xm OEM , the cpu was testing stable even at a fair overclock today so it is not a broken cpu or at least the cpu part is not LOL

Are you guys able to enguage Optimus? If yes WHAT the heck is up with mine?

I also wanted to change to an ssd today so I decided to reinstall windows to see if that cleared things up and it did not ... it was the same .. and after reinstalling the drivers and alienware programs hitting F7 does NOTHING at all and some of my other quick keys like mute are not working at all and volume up makes the volume go down and volume down makes it go up while othe quick keys seem to do what they are supposed to like wifi and F3 mute does not work either (but the key F3 without using fn does work)

I am not sure if these are separate issues so I am planning to reinstall the original gpu then after that the original cpu non XM and see if it is either of those and then do a windows reinstall and see if I can get the keys straightened out ... this 680m dream is feeling like a mild nightmare ... and I want it to be fun again ;) so any and all suggestions or ideas!?!

and if there is a better thread for me to post this just let me know and I will do so :)

• Founder
GREAT SCORES!!!

So I got my 4gb 680m in my m18x today , got the drivers installed and it overclocked stably to 855 and I stopped at 2300mhz ram (both might go higher but afterburner does not give me any more core adjustment and I did not test higher mem yet)

I am having a problem though ... the computer is not reading my cpu as having the 3000 hd graphics which means I could not use optomis ... when I hit F7 it said this switches graphics and restart yes or no but when I hit yes it would restart and no change ... BIOS would not read the integrated graphics at all ... this started the moment I booted into windows with the 680m installed ... in fairness I also changed my cpu at the same time to a 2920xm OEM , the cpu was testing stable even at a fair overclock today so it is not a broken cpu or at least the cpu part is not LOL

Are you guys able to enguage Optimus? If yes WHAT the heck is up with mine?

I also wanted to change to an ssd today so I decided to reinstall windows to see if that cleared things up and it did not ... it was the same .. and after reinstalling the drivers and alienware programs hitting F7 does NOTHING at all and some of my other quick keys like mute are not working at all and volume up makes the volume go down and volume down makes it go up while othe quick keys seem to do what they are supposed to like wifi and F3 mute does not work either (but the key F3 without using fn does work)

I am not sure if these are separate issues so I am planning to reinstall the original gpu then after that the original cpu non XM and see if it is either of those and then do a windows reinstall and see if I can get the keys straightened out ... this 680m dream is feeling like a mild nightmare ... and I want it to be fun again ;) so any and all suggestions or ideas!?!

and if there is a better thread for me to post this just let me know and I will do so :)

Hmm not an expert but did you install OSD and Command Center on your new windows installation?

Asylumized!

• Founder

I can confirm that with the Clevo 680m, the Intel integrated gfx is no longer detected. I haven't figured out why yet but will look into it later when I have some time.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Thumbs Up 5

• 6 months later...

I didn't want to start an entirely new thread for this, but I have a few questions.

I had a 7970 fail, as you might have seen in the other thread, so I'm looking at a 4GB 680M from an MSI notebook. Does MSI have their own cards too, or is would it be a Clevo card?

Does HDMI-In work?

Does the laptop still not see the Intel graphics?

Are the R1 Motherboards interchangable between Nvidia and AMD?

I have 2x 6990's and want to upgrade to 1x 680 now and another later on.

From what I can understand I would just need the Nvidia bracket and heat sinks and everything should work...

Thanks for the assist in advance :D

To answer your question simply, MSI does have their own line of 680m's, but I can only verify that the Clevo cards are compatible in the R1. I had the clevo cards put into my R1 and they work great.

HDMI-In should in theory work, I have not tested it.

I am able to use integrated graphics via the BIOS.

Regards,

Dain