NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

tigyi: BIOS editing isn't like regular programming. You're trying to modify and already-compiled program rather than make your own from scratch. The approaches are completely different and learning one will not teach you the other.

If you want to get started in hardware programming, grab this and this. It'll teach you everything you need to know. As for web design, that's yet another topic entirely and one I know next to nothing about. Good luck!

svl7: They do have different drivers. I've been told that's the only thing that makes Quadro cards special. In fact, it's possible to install Quadro drivers on GTX systems if you find the right one. I don't know if you get any extra performance out of it, though.

... I don't know if you get any extra performance out of it, though.

nope ;)

...I was using (80.04.33.00.35)

EDIT: svl7 has an unlocked 80.04.33.00.35 ready for you... :)

670mx added to the first post. (MSI, but it's the same board as Clevo).

Also a newer version of the K5000m vbios, the other was actually pretty outdated.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Nofew : I don't know... that link you gave me to that kit has small parts and is rated for only 10 and up... Are you sure it's safe? :)

I seriously thought you sent a link to a train set at first glance, as a joke. I'm familiar with Arduino - I read about them a few years ago when I was trying to make a usb interface for a circuit I designed. I'll look into them again; and will definitely pick up a copy of that book. If you have any questions on 3D animation or Visual Effects, (PM me, as I'm off topic here)... that's my specialty

@Prema : I found this forum due to some of your posts too. Thanks!

@svl7 : Wow; the last version I got the GPU clock over 1000MHz!

Coming from a Quadro 3000M to the K5000m @ only 601MHz was a big leap... Your modifications now has given me more performance than I have ever experienced - I'll test the latest one out soon.

Thanks for your great work on these Bios' svl7. I have the Clevo 670MX but mine reports 3Gb of RAM I am hesitant to flash a bios with the incorrect RAM size?

Here is a link to my original Bios. Download clevo670mxOrig.rom from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Well, that vbios is for the same board as the one I uploaded, so I'm inclined to say that my current mod will work fine for your system. I didn't know that there are cards with different amount of vram and same board Id... As long as it doesn't come up with a board ID mismatch when flashing then the worst that can happen is that Windows crashes when loading, at least in my experience.

Would be interesting to know whether it works fine or not. If you don't want to flash then you have to wait a bit until I can mod the dump you uploaded.

MSI vBios flashed fine onto my Clevo 670MX, benched at 1Ghz Core 2.2Ghz Memory. Strange stuttering on the desktop though, reflashing back to stock Bios for now.

Great work SVL7! Hopefully the genuine Clevo bios might alleviate this stuttering.

newtsy: I get stuttering in some programs too when I near my overclocking limit for the current voltage. Back off a few bins (A "bin" is a multiple of 13 in this case. nVidia's weird.) and it should fix things.

Also, the 675 M and MX are quite different. See here and here.

andir: If it helps any, my settings are 993 and 2450. I don't think they'll work too good for you though, and regardless your GPU doesn't help with your Physics score in the first place. That's all your CPU. To make matters worse, it's single-threaded. If you want to score high there you need to just bring your clockrate up to ridiculous levels. Mine's at 4.2 ghz.

The stuttering was present before I applied an overclock. It presented as mouse pointer lag on the desktop. Felt like either the touchpad was experiencing interference or the iGpu and dGpu couldn't decide who was boss.

Thanks for the tip regarding the bins I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Hopefully SVL7 can whip me one up from my stock bios to compare.

670mx added to the first post. (MSI, but it's the same board as Clevo).

Also a newer version of the K5000m vbios, the other was actually pretty outdated.

Report for svl7:

Tested the latest k5000m 80.04.33.00.35 bios; it is stable, but there is severe frame dropping when comparing it to the previous version & similar settings. It was very noticeable while trying a game. Also SPECviewperf11 scores decreased just a little.

Default clocks, both bios versions can somewhat maintain 40 to 53fps in a game (example: Crisis 2; Tomb Raider 2013)

Overclock: @966MHz GPU Core / 2000-2500 Memory

80.04.12.00.03 rev01 - steady 60fps with v-sync; can reach 80fps without v-sync and maintain above 60fps :courage:

80.04.33.00.35 rev00 - same game locations, throttles from 15-60 fps (random, more often >70c)

with v-sync off, it won't perform much over 60fps. I can clock the gpu past 1100 without crashing the driver, but it makes no difference, Lower than 966 other than the default and severe dropping still occurs. :dispirited:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: before I found this forum, I attempted to overclock the K5000m's default dell 80.04.33.00.35 bios using Nvidia Inspector. Anything adjusted past its base clock created noticeable frame dropping. Perhaps due to some 'enhancement' unknown without a change log? - What I'm saying, this has to be due to the version and not your modifications.

If there is any additional tests anyone would like me to perform, or suggestions you'd like to offer, please let me know.

From my tests, your 80.04.12.00.03 rev01 is superior.

I do have version 80.04.14.00.03 that came with the card if you want to take a look? It was severely under-clocked (default @601MHz, but wouldn't go over 324MHz). For all I know it's nothing special - I attached it for your collection.

K5000M_ORIG_80.04.14.00.03.zip

P.S. Although the K5000m is not a gaming card, there were more than game tests performed - the above text was already long enough and (I hope) illustrated the issue sufficiently.

Andir: You can't. You need to flash from from DOS or things will go very, very wrong. It might be doable if your OS is 32-bit but I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you. Besides, if you need to flash your vbios chances are you're 64-bit in the first place.

I recently got a Sager with 680m in SLI and tried out the public vBIOS for them and got an extra thousand in my 3DMark11 score. I read good things about the vBIOS' with the extra voltage, is there any way I could have those PMed to me so I can try them out? Or if not, when I am able to download, which one is the "Saltius" vBIOS? (The 902/1100 MHz one I believe)

does anybody knows how i can flash under windows ?!

G'day Andir, it's not recommended. That said, I couldn't get the DOS version to run, so thats how I flashed. You should definitely try the DOS version first. You can recover from DOS if you balls it up, if you can't run the DOS version then you may be screwed. I take no responsibility for the outcome of this what so ever.

Right with the disclaimer out of the way...

Start GPU-Z (from Techpowerup, or anything that uses the dGPU)

Open a command prompt as Administrator

Goto the directory where nvflash is located

Execute:

nvflash -a

Lists devices, this has to show your device correctly or your wasting your time.

nvflash -b backup.rom

Backs up your current ROM, of little use though if you can't boot back to windows to get it, run it anyway as you may need to flash back for warranty issues.

nvflash -6 romyourflashing.rom

Flash the ROM you downloaded.

This method worked for me, good luck.

• Brian featured this topic