EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
svl7

NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

lol i was wondering because I will be taking a MicroAvionics class next semester and we will be learning assembly code so I thought it should be similar since gpu is basically a microcontroller :D but looking around it seems it can be done with a hex editor i will try to figure this out :D

What I wanted to say is that you can't disassemble anything if you don't know the ISA, but I guess you also know that not every byte of a binary file is code.

• Thumbs Up 1

680m is throtteling down to 222Mhz. I don´t know which power state has 222 Mhz. Maybe it´s a solution to turn this powerstate to 800 Mhz?

@svl7,

If I could ask you a last thing (I always say this) - could you possibly overvolt the Clevo 680m vbios as you did with the MSI 680m's, perhaps with different voltages so we can bench as high as bloody Meaker/Brian :D - thanks dude.

What I wanted to say is that you can't disassemble anything if you don't know the ISA, but I guess you also know that not every byte of a binary file is code.

Ya I think I got what you were saying when I researched what ISA was lol also thx for the small hint for finding stuff I think I got the core and mem speeds but not sure. Also if the core clocks suppose to be stated twice since out P0 and P1 are the same ?

Hey guys, great thread. Been gone for a bit and am waiting for delivery of my m18xr1 with 680 sli in a couple days. So is the bios listed for dell 680m on first page good to go on the m18x-r2 or is it only for the 17x-r4 ? I've flashed my ati cards lots but this will be the first nvidia system I've owned so kinda steep learning curve for a while. Thanks for the help in advance.

Yes, it's also for the M18x. However you may have noticed that R4 users have throttling issues at higher clocks, even with the stock vbios... I'm not sure how exactly the M18x R2 behaves, but as far as I know there are also throttling problems at higher clocks...

Let me know how it goes when you flash the vbios. It's possible that there's not throttling at lets say 800-820MHz, in that case I can still prepare such a vbios so that M18x users can enjoy higher speeds as well. After all it seems that the M18x can't be overclocked by software, at least not at the moment.

I have to replace the transformer to the dell 230w, 3D11 scores only P7400 whether MSI limits the power output

(GT60+GTX680M+3820QM)

Sorry, I forgot to upload photos, presumably the motherboard's BIOS locked overclocking GPU power, but can not prove.post-4868-14494993480334_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's also for the M18x. However you may have noticed that R4 users have throttling issues at higher clocks, even with the stock vbios... I'm not sure how exactly the M18x R2 behaves, but as far as I know there are also throttling problems at higher clocks...

Let me know how it goes when you flash the vbios. It's possible that there's not throttling at lets say 800-820MHz, in that case I can still prepare such a vbios so that M18x users can enjoy higher speeds as well. After all it seems that the M18x can't be overclocked by software, at least not at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. I will defiantly try your bios when I get the system up and running. Great work on this svl7. I will keep you and everyone else informed.

Perhaps we won't be able to solve the throttling by tinkering with the vbios at all. Remember that a solution for the gtx580m power throttle (other than setting P0=P1) was never found, and it required a system bios update to enable overclocking and gpu boost with the gtx680m. I doubt Dell will find a pressing need to rectify the situation, either.

Perhaps we won't be able to solve the throttling by tinkering with the vbios at all. Remember that a solution for the gtx580m power throttle (other than setting P0=P1) was never found, and it required a system bios update to enable overclocking and gpu boost with the gtx680m. I doubt Dell will find a pressing need to rectify the situation, either.

Good point, it could be throttling controlled in the Dell bios rather than vbios. Someone should try the Dell card in a Clevo/MSI system and see if the throttling still happens.

I´ve some tools for gpu monitoring (GPUZ, EVGA Precision, Aida64...). It is not an monitoring problem, it´s an vbios problem.

RAM gets higher from +400 to +500 but over+200 the scores/fps will be the same....

If GPU gets more than +100 (or a little more) it starts to throttle. It´s also not a problem with the temperature.

This is due to the nature of GDDR5. GDDR5 includes error-correction, so if you overclock it too much then the performance will actually decrease as there will be error correction taking up potential performance. The 'proper' way to overclock GDDR5 is to increase the clock speed until performance starts to drop off again, and then back up the clocks a little bit. That will be as fast as you can go. If you really want to push it further, you will need to look into increasing the memory voltage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to have a crack at that G55vw vbios, would it be rude to ask if someone could send it to me or something? I read earlier in the tread you need 5 rep posts to be able to download stuff, and I don't see that happening any time soon :/

Hi,

Can the G55vw bios be used with the G75VW ?

Nope. Also the G75VW has a removable GPU module, so it might come with an on-board vbios instead of one integrated in the BIOS, not sure. Can you try to dump the vbios per GPU-Z, and if this doesn't work with nvflash (DOS version)?

In case the vbios is separate I don't need to modify the G75 BIOS.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to have a crack at that G55vw vbios, would it be rude to ask if someone could send it to me or something? I read earlier in the tread you need 5 rep posts to be able to download stuff, and I don't see that happening any time soon :/

You have the permissions to download the file. Let me know how it performs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hej, I ordered an clevo gtx 680m, for my m17x r4, should be here monday, does that mean that pherhaps the dell bios A05 will make my gtx 680m throttle, allthough its a clevo card and not a dell?

Hi,

When i try to dump the vbios per GPU-Z i've got an error : BIOS reading not supported on this device.

Hej, I ordered an clevo gtx 680m, for my m17x r4, should be here monday, does that mean that pherhaps the dell bios A05 will make my gtx 680m throttle, allthough its a clevo card and not a dell?

Well, it works fine in the M18x, so I assume it's the samefor the R4, but I can't tell for sure

Hi,

When i try to dump the vbios per GPU-Z i've got an error : BIOS reading not supported on this device.

Okay, can you try it per nvflash? Prepare an USB stick so that it can boot DOS and put the latest nvflash (DOS version) on it. Boot from the prepared drive and try dumping the vbios by using the command nvflash -b 660m.rom

• Thumbs Up 1

Okej, well will check monday and keep you guys up to date so we know if its the dell bios which makes card throttle(or maybe only the dell bios, can make dell graphic cards throttle, or the vbios. Thanks for the help :D

I'd love to be able to flash with a .209 file, but alas, I cannot :P

Referring to the G55VW zip file you've uploaded, it contains said file, and, well, it either speaks for itself or I'm ignorant...

680M has been removed from Dell website on both m17x and m18x. I hope they are not releasing a new version of the card without power throttle this time...