NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hey all - I understand that base clocks for the 680M are: 720MHz / 1800MHz. Are these the base clock points that we should OC from? Just wondering because my 680s idle closer to 800MHz and I have had some instability at low OCs. Also, what are expected upper end/stable OC points for both the shader and memory clocks for the OV1000 vbios? I use Clevos on an AW M18x. Thanks!

Well, my modified vbios should have a default 3d clock of 758MHz and no boost. With 1.0V you should be able to get between 980 and 1050MHz, but this totally depends on your card. Some users like @littleone can manage 1GHz at stock voltage, others can only get to about 950 with stock volts.

Well, my modified vbios should have a default 3d clock of 758MHz and no boost. With 1.0V you should be able to get between 980 and 1050MHz, but this totally depends on your card. Some users like @littleone can manage 1GHz at stock voltage, others can only get to about 950 with stock volts.

Thanks svl7...is +500 for the memory clock a good target for your vbios with no boost? What's a target memory clock for 1.0V?

The memory isn't affected by the voltage change, +500 is too much for daily use, I only go that crazy in benchmarks. You won't see a big difference in games. I'd keep it easy with the mem, maybe +200 or +250.

Heya all, just tested the clevo bios files on my Metabox P370EM3 SLi lappy.

All worked, IE: no video card bricks. :)

Only issue I had with the P370EM3 was a random red screen in SLi mode with ny bios other than the 80.04.67.00.01. That bios worked fine. Just supplying feedback, incase anyone else has a P370EM series and are trying to work out the red screen issue. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally got set up got all the right BIOS and VBIOS installed and got the new nvidia beta driver and did a 3dmark 11 bench! I was running at 1006mhz core and 2399mhz memory just to clarify the lies on the 3dmark result page :P

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P7632 3DMarks

post-8928-14494994249108_thumb.png

Hmmm. Got some unexpected instability at low clocks...any ideas? Im using the Clevo +1.0V vbios in an SLI clevo setup (AW m18x). Clocks are only at +198/+178 and I am getting some hard lockups/crashes. Temps are fine. I have OC'd my 2920XM using the Mr. Fox method, so I assume that is sound. Any ideas?

I finally got set up got all the right BIOS and VBIOS installed and got the new nvidia beta driver and did a 3dmark 11 bench! I was running at 1006mhz core and 2399mhz memory just to clarify the lies on the 3dmark result page :P

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P7632 3DMarks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5934[/ATTACH]

that pretty low for 680m something is not right. beta drivers are not really performers specially there are lots of bug reported in 313 beta which are fps drops low performance etc.. try 310.90 or 70 which are stable. also on the core and mem tweaking you should add more core and mem until your nb gets unstable and lower 20mhz from there and set it. your memory can handle up to +800mhz w.o any problem and also ive seen some guy overclocking 680m with very stable 390mhz + on core speed. so if you want some nice high scores on 3dmark try put some more power to it while keeping eye on the temps... i think you wont see some high temps with max oc on benchmarks however i would not recommend you to keep using higher overclocks for daily usage. push your gpu to the max only when you need some high scores on 3dmarks unless you ll degrade it.

that pretty low for 680m something is not right. beta drivers are not really performers specially there are lots of bug reported in 313 beta which are fps drops low performance etc.. try 310.90 or 70 which are stable. also on the core and mem tweaking you should add more core and mem until your nb gets unstable and lower 20mhz from there and set it. your memory can handle up to +800mhz w.o any problem and also ive seen some guy overclocking 680m with very stable 390mhz + on core speed. so if you want some nice high scores on 3dmark try put some more power to it while keeping eye on the temps... i think you wont see some high temps with max oc on benchmarks however i would not recommend you to keep using higher overclocks for daily usage. push your gpu to the max only when you need some high scores on 3dmarks unless you ll degrade it.

@buluunee welp im downloading the old driver now just as a test because I am running the beta for use with crysis 3 i'll see what I get with the old one! And plus 390mhz is insane! The max stable I get is +240! I am running a 180 watt PSU though does that make a difference or is it just that some parts cast from 670 to 680m are better than others XD

UPDATE: I just did it again with the old driver 310.90 and found that the score is the same if not a tad bit slower... in fact I also ran the ALLBench catzilla and got 11649 instead of 11789 I usually get I'll keep the old driver for now since the difference is quite small between this one and the BETA but it does seem that to get anymore performance I need a stronger PSU. So svl is right it seems like a normal score.

If I'm getting consistent lockups/crashes almost always in the same spot in 3dmark...and NO weird visual anomalies...does this mean I might be a candidate for a higher voltage bios? Im using the 1.0V now. Problem is, the system remains crashy even at low overclocks: +210/+162. What do you think?

That's not low at all, that's about what you have to expect at 1GHz core.

hello

After flashing BIOS 80.04.33.00.10_OCedition_revised_01.ROM magnificent Comp wanted to fly : Banane05:

GPU/MEM 1006/2500Mhz _ nearly 8000K in 3DMark 11

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P7875 3DMarks

the result obtained on the equipment M17xR3 + 2760QM : Banane05:

Thank you very much for the wonderful bios :)

Tomorrow attitude beer: Greedy_dollars:

@buluunee welp im downloading the old driver now just as a test because I am running the beta for use with crysis 3 i'll see what I get with the old one! And plus 390mhz is insane! The max stable I get is +240! I am running a 180 watt PSU though does that make a difference or is it just that some parts cast from 670 to 680m are better than others XD

UPDATE: I just did it again with the old driver 310.90 and found that the score is the same if not a tad bit slower... in fact I also ran the ALLBench catzilla and got 11649 instead of 11789 I usually get I'll keep the old driver for now since the difference is quite small between this one and the BETA but it does seem that to get anymore performance I need a stronger PSU. So svl is right it seems like a normal score.

guess then it was on the edge. btw i have heard that sometimes putting power setting to balanced or power save while putting gpu usage to 100% does give some boost to bench score. personally i never set my power setting to high performance which seems to increase temps due to intel turbo boost. once i tried bench my card with high performance setting in power control and i remember i was getting little bit lower score than i usually get with balanced in power setting. Maybe try again with power setting balanced? see if that helps. btw i have read that beta ec from warner is already out dated since there will not be new releases and also i have personally tried that ec with my gt 70 however i did not see any improvement with my gpu score but temp increase. does it really work as warner explained?

edit... About the 390mhz plus on core which i mentioned was not on 680m here is the thread forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/698941-alienware-m17x-r2-running-gtx-675mx-2.html Guess its not possible to oc 680m with this clocks due to baseclock is already high as for 675mx baseclock is lower than 680m and more room to push it

Just have to say thanks for the great BIOSes - I just flashed my 680M in my 9170, and I am loving it (I used the Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 'OCedition' revised_01.zip). I had already repasted the GPU, but i may do it again, as i think my temps are still a tad high (gaming at 900/2000 yeilds a max GPU temp of 81C so far). Still, gotta love it. :)

Just have to say thanks for the great BIOSes - I just flashed my 680M in my 9170, and I am loving it (I used the Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 'OCedition' revised_01.zip). I had already repasted the GPU, but i may do it again, as i think my temps are still a tad high (gaming at 900/2000 yeilds a max GPU temp of 81C so far). Still, gotta love it. :)
erm what game does give you this 81C? if its something released in 2012 late then its pretty normal to get this temps while you pushed your gpu lil bit specially for gaming . once you applied a thermal paste its good for about 1 year so i do not think its necessary. but the choice is up to you...

ps: most of ppl report their benchmark temperature which is lot more cooler than real gaming temp. for example... when i run 3dmark 11 on my machine it gets up to max 64C and when i run some high end games like HAWKEN or Crysis 3 it gets up to 84C sometimes but usually couple C lower. if it passes up to 95+ thats danger zone and also sign to repaste the cpu gpu.

erm what game does give you this 81C? if its something released in 2012 late then its pretty normal to get this temps while you pushed your gpu lil bit specially for gaming . once you applied a thermal paste its good for about 1 year so i do not think its necessary. but the choice is up to you...

ps: most of ppl report their benchmark temperature which is lot more cooler than real gaming temp. for example... when i run 3dmark 11 on my machine it gets up to max 64C and when i run some high end games like HAWKEN or Crysis 3 it gets up to 84C sometimes but usually couple C lower. if it passes up to 95+ thats danger zone and also sign to repaste the cpu gpu.

This was sustained MechWarrior Online, and the 81 was a peak (average closer to 79 or 80).

As it is, I still may redo it eventually, as I used some older shin etsu paste I had leftover. I am thinking some IC Diamond might get anther degree or 3..

guess then it was on the edge. btw i have heard that sometimes putting power setting to balanced or power save while putting gpu usage to 100% does give some boost to bench score. personally i never set my power setting to high performance which seems to increase temps due to intel turbo boost. once i tried bench my card with high performance setting in power control and i remember i was getting little bit lower score than i usually get with balanced in power setting. Maybe try again with power setting balanced? see if that helps. btw i have read that beta ec from warner is already out dated since there will not be new releases and also i have personally tried that ec with my gt 70 however i did not see any improvement with my gpu score but temp increase. does it really work as warner explained?

edit... About the 390mhz plus on core which i mentioned was not on 680m here is the thread forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/698941-alienware-m17x-r2-running-gtx-675mx-2.html Guess its not possible to oc 680m with this clocks due to baseclock is already high as for 675mx baseclock is lower than 680m and more room to push it

Well I tried the different power setting which lost me 20fps so that isn't it I honestly think I just need more juice because at if I lift my memory clock from 2399mhz to 2499mhz I get weird glitches in 3dmark and all sorts of fun stuff :P and running it at 1080p is impossible the PSU just trips XD. and also the only reason I use the BETA EC is because any other BIOS unlocked or stock gave me constant throttling no matter what clocks I was at and what I was doing playing anything or running anything hardware intensive was impossible! but with the BETA EC throttling is completely gone I havent had one since the upgrade! I even see 3.6ghz on occasion and 3.7 too! But it you know of a better BIOS please tell me! so far I have tried this one: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html and this one: MSI GT70 Unlocked BIOS (latest 10M, non-RAID) - Page 2

Both gave me nasty throttles just like the stock BIOS and the ones downloaded from MSI.

Well I tried the different power setting which lost me 20fps so that isn't it I honestly think I just need more juice because at if I lift my memory clock from 2399mhz to 2499mhz I get weird glitches in 3dmark and all sorts of fun stuff :P and running it at 1080p is impossible the PSU just trips XD. and also the only reason I use the BETA EC is because any other BIOS unlocked or stock gave me constant throttling no matter what clocks I was at and what I was doing playing anything or running anything hardware intensive was impossible! but with the BETA EC throttling is completely gone I havent had one since the upgrade! I even see 3.6ghz on occasion and 3.7 too! But it you know of a better BIOS please tell me! so far I have tried this one: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html and this one: MSI GT70 Unlocked BIOS (latest 10M, non-RAID) - Page 2

Both gave me nasty throttles just like the stock BIOS and the ones downloaded from MSI.

sorry to hear that... that model seems to have lots of trouble =(

Hi All,

I am running a 680M in an Alienware M17 R3. I have SVL7s unlocked vbios on there, but am currently not overclocking the GPU as so far it has proven powerful enough for my gaming needs. I have HWino and MSI Afterburner launching on startup to monitor performance and temps. Last night when playing Planetside 2 and Borderlands 2 the GPU was constantly trottling. The core clock never dropped below the default maximum of 758Mhz but the GPU usage/load would drop as low as 30%, constantly adjusting itself back up to 99%, up/down, up/down.....all the time. Is this know as throttling if the core clock never drops?

I checked for unwanted programs running in the background, restarted games, un checked Vsync options to try and force the GPU to full load at all times but it still throttled alot. Nothing to my knowledge on my system has changed since it functioned properly. Any ideas what might cause this?

My GPU temperature in both games sits around 65 – 72C. It can’t be brought on by thermal throttling at these temperature could it?

I ran 3D mark 11 when it was throttling but my score was normal 6120, and Afterburner graphed the GPU usage at 99% during all GPU tests. Strange!!!!

Any help much appreciate guys. Thanks.

Hi All,

I am running a 680M in an Alienware M17 R3. I have SVL7s unlocked vbios on there, but am currently not overclocking the GPU as so far it has proven powerful enough for my gaming needs. I have HWino and MSI Afterburner launching on startup to monitor performance and temps. Last night when playing Planetside 2 and Borderlands 2 the GPU was constantly trottling. The core clock never dropped below the default maximum of 758Mhz but the GPU usage/load would drop as low as 30%, constantly adjusting itself back up to 99%, up/down, up/down.....all the time. Is this know as throttling if the core clock never drops?

I checked for unwanted programs running in the background, restarted games, un checked Vsync options to try and force the GPU to full load at all times but it still throttled alot. Nothing to my knowledge on my system has changed since it functioned properly. Any ideas what might cause this?

My GPU temperature in both games sits around 65 – 72C. It can’t be brought on by thermal throttling at these temperature could it?

I ran 3D mark 11 when it was throttling but my score was normal 6120, and Afterburner graphed the GPU usage at 99% during all GPU tests. Strange!!!!

Any help much appreciate guys. Thanks.

Sorry if i say this but, finaly someone else who has same problem as me. I get this weird throttling in borderlands 2 also, with or without physX settings on. I also get this in Serious Sam 3. HWinfo says cpu throttling "NO". And my gpu and cpu temp max out at low to mid 60´s in borderlands 2. So its not thermal throttling. FPS goes from 60+ down to exactly 11-12fps on both games.

Oh, i forgot to mention that i get these exact same drops in the Crysis 3 MP beta. And i was so looking forward to play that game :( .

I have tried these vbioses;

Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00.zip

Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00.zip

Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00 - OV 1000v.zip

Could it be my psu giving up on me or other hardware failure? or should i try an even higher overvolt? All these problems are on stock clocks, and gpu worked beautiful with svl´s modified bios for a month or so before these weird symptoms started.

M18X r1, 680m GTX, i7 2820qm

@ MrValle.

Ah.... I was going to try the 80.04.5B.00.02 vbios tonight, as in a post SVL7 did mention it being more stable than the earlier one. I ran out of time last night to begin properly testing the GPU but I did run Darksiders 2 on maximum settings with Vsync Off and it utilized the GPU to 99% usage continuously without any throttling. I did notice though that temps never exceeded 63C. The GPU throttles most in Planetside 2 but PS2 does make it reach 72 – 75 degrees C, more than Borderlands 2. I might use Hwinfo to control the fans and purposely slow them down to increase the GPU temp when running Darksiders 2 to see if throttling occurs. I had a spare PSU to try and I can say now it made no difference. I use Norton Ghost to backup my system so I can quickly and reliably skip back a few weeks to when my GPU did not throttle to see if it all runs smooth once more. You never know what nasties good old Windows Updates bring with it.

MrValle, what version of windows are you running, and what version of Nvidia driver are you on?

Do you game through Steam? I use Steam and I am slightly suspecting it, or a combination of it and the background applications I have running on my system.

I am on UK time so will try and do some testing tonight and give you feed back early morning. At this stage, to me anyway, it doesn’t look like hardware failure. Hope fully we get it sorted, two heads are better than one and all that hey!!!

@svl7. Please may I draw upon your experience here, does throttling only in some games sound like possible hardware failure or software issues?

@ MrValle.

Ah.... I was going to try the 80.04.5B.00.02 vbios tonight, as in a post SVL7 did mention it being more stable than the earlier one. I ran out of time last night to begin properly testing the GPU but I did run Darksiders 2 on maximum settings with Vsync Off and it utilized the GPU to 99% usage continuously without any throttling. I did notice though that temps never exceeded 63C. The GPU throttles most in Planetside 2 but PS2 does make it reach 72 – 75 degrees C, more than Borderlands 2. I might use Hwinfo to control the fans and purposely slow them down to increase the GPU temp when running Darksiders 2 to see if throttling occurs. I had a spare PSU to try and I can say now it made no difference. I use Norton Ghost to backup my system so I can quickly and reliably skip back a few weeks to when my GPU did not throttle to see if it all runs smooth once more. You never know what nasties good old Windows Updates bring with it.

MrValle, what version of windows are you running, and what version of Nvidia driver are you on?

Do you game through Steam? I use Steam and I am slightly suspecting it, or a combination of it and the background applications I have running on my system.

I am on UK time so will try and do some testing tonight and give you feed back early morning. At this stage, to me anyway, it doesn’t look like hardware failure. Hope fully we get it sorted, two heads are better than one and all that hey!!!

@svl7. Please may I draw upon your experience here, does throttling only in some games sound like possible hardware failure or software issues?

Yeah im interested in hearing from you after you have flashed 80.04.5B.00.02 how it works out for you.

It might be a steam issue, as i said i get this throttling in Crysis 3 MP beta and it has to be started via origin which is a steam-like program so maybe it has the same issue as steam has.

When this first started i was running windows 8 pro, so i formatted and installed windows 7 pro but i still have it. I have gone through alot of drivers so i am most certain its not a driver issue.

I also tried the new 3dmark and it seems to run all OK even with a mild overclock.

Come to think of it, i havent tried borderlands 2 on steam with the steam overlay disabled. Will try this when i have the time.

Sorry MrValle for I meant to say that it is good to meet you here and thank you for posting in response to my issue. It is always easier to find solutions with more help.

I tell a lie, I did flash the other vbios, immediately tested the GPU with 3D Mark 11 and got a lower score on the new vbios. I ran the benchmark a couple of times just to make certain the results were coming out the same, and found that my score dropped by approximately 90 points with the new vbios. I immediately reverted back to the older vbios and left it well alone.

The fact that you have performed a clean install of windows and the throttling issue still remains, cancels the possibility of software incompatibilities or software updating causing the issue. Thanks for letting me know I won’t roll my system back now.

How long has your GPU been experiencing throttling? Are you only getting throttling in some games and not others?

• Brian featured this topic