NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

@svl7

Is there anything i can do? My computer just shut off in the middle of benching and now when i press the power button nothing happens...

- - - Updated - - -

@svl

Wait im sorry XD turns out my power outlet completely burned out somehow and my battery died even though i had an entire days charge before... sorry that was really dumb :s

Company´s might not be that kind to you as you did some OC with your machine. Company´s say you can at own risk but your warrenty will be void.

And how could they tell it was overclocked? Anyways, the GPU is completely fine at 1.05V. It can handle much more.

Wait im sorry XD turns out my power outlet completely burned out somehow and my battery died even though i had an entire days charge before... sorry that was really dumb :s

Sounds like your PSU tripped, happens when I go crazy with my 150W PSU and this card... no problem with the 240W PSU. What's the rating of your PSU? And what kind of notebook are you using?

And how could they tell it was overclocked? Anyways, the GPU is completely fine at 1.05V. It can handle much more.

When you are only stresstesting with it no problem. But if you run at a higher voltage like 24/7 your chip is very much likely to die earlyer. Personaly i dont have experience with chips dying, i heared it from someone else :)

Great that your problem is fixed. I wanted to say if it were a battery issue, but thought you would have already checked it :P

Try to unplug the psu and the battery of your laptop, then push the power on button (to discharge the condensator) ... after that, plug your battery and try to power on your laptop.

Your laptop is shutting down due to an overload on your PSU

(if you have a 180W PSU don't try ov superior to 1v, the 1v overvolt can overload your psu in certain circumstance, so ov superior to 1v could damage your PSU)

If you have a 180W PSU buy a wattmeter to measure the consumption at the outlet.

• Thumbs Up 1

When you are only stresstesting with it no problem. But if you run at a higher voltage like 24/7 your chip is very much likely to die earlyer. Personaly i dont have experience with chips dying, i heared it from someone else :)

That's not true in this case. The chip is seriously undervolted after all. The GTX 670 uses the same GPU and stock 3d voltage is at 1.175v. The issue about increasing the voltage on a mobile high-end card can be the additional current through some of the components on the board, however even there you'll have pretty big tolerances. Of course your GPU degrades faster when it runs at a higher voltage, yet I still haven't managed to kill a mobile GPU.

@kolias

Thanks !! :)

I am still using the stock PSU because it still serves me well. I have never had any sudden shutdown, though.

I noticed my CPU points weren't degraded by heavily OC'ing the GPU like the earlier vbios, great job man @svl7 :)

Pardon me, what's saltius ?

I only use vbios modded by svl7 :)

No way I can play with that clocks for long time as the temps will rise to unnaceptable level.

I usually overclock it at 1071/2500 with 1.012V vbios when I really need the additional power in Metro2033 and Farcry3, for the rest of my game I leave it at stock clocks and voltage.

Sounds like your PSU tripped, happens when I go crazy with my 150W PSU and this card... no problem with the 240W PSU. What's the rating of your PSU? And what kind of notebook are you using?

@svl7

XD yeah that's probably exactly what happened I now have my PSU sitting on the fan because when running GPU intensive tasks the darn thing is way too hot to touch :S keeping it in an open airflow makes it feel just fine though. And I cannot figure out what rating it is I have been trying to figure it out myself for a while now. I have a gt70 0ne 416US if that helps :P

The chip couldn't be damage ... but the Voltage Regulator?

Even more unlikely, they can handle much more, and have serious overvoltage and overcurrent protection, thermal as well. The vr would shut itself down instantly if some values are out of bounds for a couple of milliseconds.

@svl7

And I cannot figure out what rating it is I have been trying to figure it out myself for a while now. I have a gt70 0ne 416US if that helps :P

There should be some stuff written on the back of it, namely voltage and current ratings, this will give you the power.

@svl7

If you have a current 180 watts ac adapter and manage to get a 240 watts dell ac adapter modded with an endplug for your nb... does your nb reads the new 240 watts adapter if all of the components need more than 180 watts including CPU,GPU, ram etc ?

Stock PSU of an M15x is a 150W adapter, but it runs without issues at 180-190W, even though it gets hot. It trips at about 200W. Interestingly the 150W PSU tripped while benching my 680m, and the 240W helps to solve this. However when I had the 6970m in my system the 240W PSU didn't help to improve the GPU performance, the GPU just didn't get enough juice when overvolted. I think it has something to do with the power supply circuits of the cards... I think it has something to do with the pretty lightweight power supply circuits of the 680m, especially when compared with the 6900m series. I guess it doesn't use certain voltage supply pins of the MXM connector, thus not causing the power supply from the board to get unstable... but that's just some wild guessing, I never really looked into the real causes of this, I'm just happy that the 680m works better than the 6900m series in the M15x.

at slv7. In your fist post you say you cannot get a bigger overclock than 135MHz with NVinspector. (credits to Mobius1 and JamesD on NBR) I actualy got to 1150MHz with NVinspector on my 650m (stock 835 so that is a 315MHz overclock) on my old 306.97 driver. If you do it right there are no limitations in the program except the voltage. You gotta make some batch files with the right information about clocks etc. THen you just execute that file and your clocks are raised. The problem is you cannot adjust the voltage of the chip so you cannot go further than (on my chip) 315MHz which is a shame as the chip got loads more potential.

793652_513769738668489_650786879_o.jpg

This resulted in the highest 3dmark vantage score for i5 and 650m. Got 1 point short of the 4th spot on 3dmark11 with that OC.

But i want to claim the first spot ;) I am running low on voltage tho. Whenever i try to OC past 1150MHz my machine freezes due to too little power. Has a modded vbios for the MSi GE60 with 650m GDDR5 2gb been made by anyone?

Well, credits for this go to Orbmu2k, the creator of Nvidia inspector and not to anybody else. Just list the help for all supported Nvidia Inspector commands and read them, and you know how to do it. I don't see why anyone should claim 'credit' for reading the manual... just my 0.02.

Anyway, you're totally free to use this instead of a bios mod, however I have issues with this method and don't recommend it to anyone. First of all it's complicated, you need to manually switch back every time you want to go back to idle clocks. Furthermore the voltage is still not adjustable, and depending on the card and vbios you have the voltage of the forced P-state is lower than the P0 voltage.

In addition to this I can imagine that there are other issues, e.g. there are other clocks like ROP etc.which might not get adjusted, depending on how the OC is applied and depending also on how the chip is designed. I don't know whether there's only one clock source for Kepler or not. If there is more than one, then certain clocks will lag behind since they won't get increased as well, possibly resulting in weird behavior or performance issues.

GE60 bios mods will come eventually, lol I think I promised them to dozens of other users... just a bit busy at the momen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gave them the credits as they taught me how to do it :) Just wanted to let people know i didnt do it all by myself. For now the program is working fine for me. I actuay dont game with my laptop at all i only use the OC for benchmarking. Yeah it is a pitty you cannot adjust the clock votlage. I am really needing to get a bit more power in order to set some sweet benchmarking scores.

Im looking forward to the new vbios. If i can do internation payments i´ll get you a beer ;) Just want to claim the #1 spot for the 650m.

@svl7 so if I understood correctly you are saying that if I got a 240 watt PSU I could overclock without it tripping. Because as of now the maximum stable clocks I get are 1006 mhz core and 2400 mhz memory any higher and my comp freezes up when running new dawn demo, haeven etc... if I had 240 watt I could get to 1100 mhz 25-600 mhz memory? and if this is true where could I buy a 240 watt PSU for the GT70 or is there a tutorial out there on how to mod a non compatable PSU?

P.S. thanks you guys have been very helpful in helping me figure out my machine! :D

I don't guarantee it, the power circuits on the motherboard might limit you as well, but since your PSU tripped it is likely that this problem will be gone with a 240W PSU. Check ebay, amazon.... MSI resellers, no idea.Google? :D

@svl7 Wait it seems I have another problem... I really hope that I am just not realizing something dumb here but it seems as though my battery has stopped working... If I unplug my machine(no overclocks) it instantly shuts off even in BIOS and if I mouse over the battery icon it shows that im plugged in and says 96% available not charging... why is it not charging the battery? I didn't have this problem before the PSU trip at least not that I noticed... I do carry the thing around with me so it is recent.

update: it seems if I unplug my battery it shows that there is no battery but even after putting it back in it's useless because the comp just shuts off if the cord is removed :S

Maybe your battery was damage during the overload. I have a PSU overload in Far Cry3, after the shutdown, i boot up my machine and saw that my battery was @85% (it was fully charged before the shutdown). I think that the overload put first my PSU in security, then the laptop drawn his 195W on the battery, and finally the battery goes in security mode causing the shutdown.

Fortunately it wasn't damage (but i don't use the max ov version like you).

Laptop battery are not made to power the machine at so high wattage.

Maybe your battery was damage during the overload. I have a PSU overload in Far Cry3, after the shutdown, i boot up my machine and saw that my battery was @85% (it was fully charged before the shutdown). I think that the overload put first my PSU in security, then the laptop drawn his 195W on the battery, and finally the battery goes in security mode causing the shutdown.

Fortunately it wasn't damage (but i don't use the max ov version like you).

Laptop battery are not made to power the machine at so high wattage.

I am always running with the PSU plugged in though I never overclock on battery...

I haven't say that, i said that, maybe, your laptop (or the PSU itself) had put your psu in security due to overload, then your laptop was powered by your battery before the shutdown (maybe you don't saw that, it could be a matter of second)

Oh! ok I think I see what you're saying... well I guess it's possible I just called support at xoticpc where I got my computer as I have a suspicion like you said that the battery is busted and now I'm filling out the RMA form I was tolled I could just send the battery back so I think I might be in luck :P

Hey guys, I thought I had the 1.05v BIOS for my 4gb 680m ... but it seems to be running at 1.037v at load ... is that right for the 1.05v BIOS, if it is not could some one kindly link me to a download for it :)

thanks for the link and for all the work svl7 has been doing!

edit:

SILLY ME, I forgot where to look and just remembered it is in the second post (I have not been on this thread in a few months)

@Vlad

I've posted a thread here

http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/2645-220-watts-ac-adapter-msi-gt60-70-a.html

this might help you too btw. I have an msi gt60. Planning to get a 240 watts soon but i think the ec firmware is responsible in handling the wattage of the ac adapter..

When you just use your laptop inside your house, make sure you take off the battery cos your laptop always recharging the battery when its not fully charge (less than 100%).

@kolias

What NB do you have?...

BTW...

can someone also post on ebay on where to get an endplug for msi gt60? I dont know the exact measurements of the plug.... Must need this for that 240 watts delta ac adapter too.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Vlad

I've posted a thread here

http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/2645-220-watts-ac-adapter-msi-gt60-70-a.html

this might help you too btw. I have an msi gt60. Planning to get a 240 watts soon but i think the ec firmware is responsible in handling the wattage of the ac adapter..

When you just use your laptop inside your house, make sure you take off the battery cos your laptop always recharging the battery when its not fully charge (less than 100%).

@kolias

What NB do you have?...

BTW...

can someone also post on ebay on where to get an endplug for msi gt60? I dont know the exact measurements of the plug.... Must need this for that 240 watts delta ac adapter too.

i have clevo P150HM+680M+2960XM

• Brian featured this topic