NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

yesterday svl7 you posted in the AW-Community Forum a screenshot from an M15x(with gtx680m) with 1133gpu core clock/1135Memory and 1133turbo boost.

why you can go so damn high with your clocks without any errors? I cant even run 3dmark11 with more then 135+ clock core its allways crashing

I installed the latest vbios version from the Thread for my M17xR4, i cant go higher then +135 core clock!if i go higher then +135, my nvidia driver crashes and get back to the default clocks!

Do i need a other Bios? I got the Dell A09 bios

@Zyron I have an M17xR4 too, and my one is stable at 950 MHz and maybe higher, I used the latest VBIOS Version "Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00.zip". Did you try the same? I know, not every graphiccard is same, but +135 MHz is not as much. I also have the A09 Bios installed. Maybe your memoryclocks are to high?
  • Thumbs Up 1

yesterday svl7 you posted in the AW-Community Forum a screenshot from an M15x(with gtx680m) with 1133gpu core clock/1135Memory and 1133turbo boost.

why you can go so damn high with your clocks without any errors? I cant even run 3dmark11 with more then 135+ clock core its allways crashing

Because you run at stock voltage and I didn't. Check the screenshot, I was at 1.1V.

However, if you're crashing at lets say +150 then you just got unlucky with your card... each card performs differently when it comes to overclocking. You could try one of the vbios versions in the second post of this thread, there are some with increased voltage.

I used this modded ec firmware and went back to the original one because of heat issues of the beastly gtx680m.BETA EC for GT60 (16F3) & GT70 (1762) As one of the users of beta ec firmware said

Warner of MSI tech said

What u are trying to point out is you are using the official release ec firmware. Now who really doesnt make sense? Because i am one one of those users using the modded ec firmware. I was addressing my problem to svl and gave a temporary solution because i am using his modded vbios. Or are you svl7? Thanks anyway

I'm using the modded EC firmware....for roughly 2 months now without issue and no temps ever reaching 80C. I mentioned this in my post as well, which you obviously didn't bother reading fully.....

Your entire problem is your BCLK at 106 MHz.....Unfortunately, the GPU is powerful, but guess what? The CPU is much more powerful and will heat up quite a bit more. I'd agree with svl that most of your instability is probably caused from the CPU overclock and has nothing to do with the GPU. Your heating issues might even be two-fold. Poor heatsink contact with the GPU, and overclocking the CPU causing a much higher dissipation requirement, that the cooling system is unable to handle. The change back to the original EC firmware shouldn't make things better. If you're using the notebook properly, the fan should be enabled through S-Bar to run full speed when you're gaming. If I don't have mine running full speed, then yes, I see much higher temps. But running at full speed, I rarely see temperatures above 65C. Then again, I'm on a GT70 and not a GT60, which does make a good bit of difference. Even after a few hours of continuous game play. Then again, I'm not overclocking my CPU at all and putting an extra load on the system there as well. I would have been willing to bet that if you ran the CPU at stock voltage/speeds, you would have been fine.

EDIT:Actually, I guess if I push the card to the limits through Furmark, I can push it up to 90C. Then again, Furmark is anything but realistic. Going to test with 3DMark11 here in a bit I suppose. That should be more realistic.

EDIT2:Topped out at 77C with 3DMark11 during any given test. Not as bad as I expected. If I wasn't in my living room with the laptop on my lap, I bet it'd be a bit lower due to the bad air circulation here. Either way, 77C isn't enough to worry me. And that's with the GPU core at 1 GHz and 2.6 GHz memory.

EDIT3:After 3 hours of playing Borderlands 2 at max everything, at 1 GHz core and 2.4GHz memory, I was sitting at 68C pretty steadily for a good 2 hours. I'm not surprised. I didn't think it would get much higher than 70C if it did.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks svl!

I just tried the MSI firmware you posted, and I'm now able to get well over the normal +135 MHz overclock on the core. This is great!

Time to find out what I can push with the laptop. :tyrannosaurus:

Because you run at stock voltage and I didn't. Check the screenshot, I was at 1.1V.

Could you please, do the same with MSI / Clevo vbios?

I want get only +3000MHz on memory's and I'll be shut up.:drunk:

I mean the voltage of the memory controller in the chip (core voltage), not the memory voltage controller on the PCB.

I replaced memory chips for faster and raised their voltage.

+3000 MHz on memory is possible. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Reading the more recent posts here, I have to agree that the 106MHz BCLK is going to cause stability issues. That's too high and it affects stability of multiple aspects of the system. Any crashes, lockups or BSOD (or even lower benchmark scores) are very likely attributable to that. To find your highest stable GPU OC with 3DMark11 leave the CPU alone and let it run without any overclock. Once you determine your maximum stable GPU OC over several runs without issues, then you can start pushing the CPU to achieve your best possible 3DMark11 score. Go a little at a time with the CPU. At some point before total instability occurs, you may even start to observe your 3DMark11 scores begin to go the wrong direction. If you see that, take it as a sign that you are pushing the CPU too far for the system to perform optimally. Overclocked stability can also be affected by your PSU and/or motherboard, depending on the ability of those components to provide a stable flow of the power that is needed by the CPU and GPU.

I mean the voltage of the memory controller in the chip (core voltage), not the memory voltage controller on the PCB.

I replaced memory chips for faster and raised their voltage.

+3000 MHz on memory is possible. :)

Nice, your chips are binned for 1050 at 1.35V instead of the stock vram modules which are 900 at 1.35V :) However, this doesn't guarantee you a higher overclock at 1.35V than with the stock chips... even though it's likely that you can clock higher. In order to really crank up your chips to the rated 1500MHz you'd need to increase the voltage which feeds the vrams on the board.

The memory controller in the die is as far as I know not bound to the core voltage. For simple reasons... if you for example run a multi monitor setup, your idle clock is still pretty low, as well as the voltage, but the memory speed is at max. Also you can overclock the memory to the max even when the core voltage is at its 2d value, you won't loose any stability. It wouldn't make sense to bind the mem controller voltage to the core voltage, these are two completely different things which need to be able to run independently of each other. Look at CPUs which have an integrated memory controller, it's the same there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey together .... Just my 3dmark result with the MSI Bios (MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2) on max 3D clock ... Stable.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx score: P8147 3DMarks

post-7749-14494994097534_thumb.jpg

Thanks svl7 .. even if the Bios is not on the Second post anymore.

Beer u get already :)

svl7,

Even a small increase of core voltage (1.012V) results in a more stable operation of the memory controller in the chip (2600MHz).

I raised (via resistors) memory chips voltage to 1.55V (1.5V failed). Above 2700MHz the memory chips and memory controller still works but does not show content.

IMHO, the memory controller in the chip has too low voltage for the selected frequency.

svl7,

Even a small increase of core voltage (1.012V) results in a more stable operation of the memory controller in the chip (2600MHz).

I raised (via resistors) memory voltage to 1.55V (1.5V failed). Above 2700MHz the memory chips and memory controller still works but does not show content.

IMHO, the memory controller in the chip has too low voltage for the selected frequency.

Ah, I see... very nice! Do you mind sharing the mod? I wanted to test a higher mem voltage myself, you could save me the time and trouble of figuring out an easy mod. :)

I'll post some MSI and Clevo vbios with increased voltage in the very near future, probably a couple of hours. I promised it already a while ago.

svl,

I'm noticing something very strange with the latest MSI bios. It seems that the video card gets 'stuck' in the high performance mode and rarely leaves it. I left my laptop on overnight, and when I left it was still running at 770 MHz (stock clocks), even after exiting all games and such. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe the EC in the notebook does have an effect on the GPU at all. I'm at the desktop with just GPU-Z running and it's still sitting at 770 MHz and not ever dropping. I'm going to go back and re-flash the old video card bios and see if that has any effect on it at all.

Which driver are you using? Do you have a second monitor attached?

Usually I use a second monitor, but right now I have none connected. Strictly just he laptop itself with NOTHING else (no mouse/keyboard/sound, etc...) connected.

NVidia Driver: 302.75, what comes installed by default.

I suppose one of the first things I could do is update the driver.

Going back to the 'old' VBios that I saved didn't fix the issue at all. That makes me feel a little better, but it doesn't change the fact that it's on almost all the time.

I guess, stupid question, but could GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner be causing the video card to be enabled, and therefore cause it to use higher GPU speeds, even though all I'm doing is trying to monitor the temperatures?

Well yes, that rules out the vbios. And yes, MSI AB can totally cause this, I think I read about some users having similar issues, i.e. not clocking back to 2d after playing a game on overclocked clocks.

Make sure that you have the latest version. Or try Nvidia Inspector, that's what I'd recommend anyways.

Well yes, that rules out the vbios. And yes, MSI AB can totally cause this, I think I read about some users having similar issues, i.e. not clocking back to 2d after playing a game on overclocked clocks.

Make sure that you have the latest version. Or try Nvidia Inspector, that's what I'd recommend anyways.

You wouldn't have a download link for that? I've found a few, but I don't really trust them.

Also, after updating to the latest (310.70) NVidia drivers, now I'm at 405 MHz core 162 MHz memory, so that's better, but it really should be lower (even with GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner open).

Well, I got 1.9.6.7. Not the newest I don't think, but good enough.

Hmm...I guess it really is just MSI Afterburner causing all the problems. That kinda sucks since I enjoyed the graph for monitoring the temperature. Oh well.

You wouldn't have a download link for that? I've found a few, but I don't really trust them.

Also, after updating to the latest (310.70) NVidia drivers, now I'm at 405 MHz core 162 MHz memory, so that's better, but it really should be lower (even with GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner open).

Dark ... mine is not going lower than 405 Mhz core and 162 mem. Should be fine actually. Sitting at 40C temps while fans of. Same driver with AB as well. Guess you dont need to worry

You can grab it here for example. Tbh I'm not sure where the dev officially hosts his work, cause on his site there's only an outdated version.

Regarding the 405MHz... blame Nvidia, they changed some stuff in their latest drivers which makes the card idle at those clocks, they say it's more energy efficient... yeah... don't ask.

Ah, I see... very nice! Do you mind sharing the mod? I wanted to test a higher mem voltage myself, you could save me the time and trouble of figuring out an easy mod. :)

I'll post some MSI and Clevo vbios with increased voltage in the very near future, probably a couple of hours. I promised it already a while ago.

Perfectly, You need to replace the resistor 524 (22K as I recall) to a higher (25K-30K). :)

dsc05811lo.jpg

dsc058111.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey svl7 could you take a look at this post here http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y580-y480-unlocked-bios-versions-10.html

I uploaded a copy of the gtx660m for the lenovo y580 vbios and I am having some trouble overclocking it and wanted to know if you could modify them for me? The desired clocks are 1ghz for gpu (1075mhz for turbo), and a small overclock for the ram speed.

• Brian featured this topic