NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Well, it seems there is no fan control on the Dell 680m vBIOS no voltage mod. Is there any way to get that back?

I've tried Afterburner, Precision X, and nVidia Inspector, and the fan control is greyed out on all of them.

Which BIOS should I use to have fan control?

Right now the fan is at 0% even at 60+ degrees on my M18x R2, with no way to manually turn it up. Is that normal?

Thanks

Laptops that have manual fan controls don't typicallly handle that through the vBIOS. That is pretty much standard on mobile GPUs. Unlike a desktop video card, mobile GPU fans generally operate just like chassis fans, which are usually controlled by the EC. And, voltage is not normally adjustable on mobile GPUs. You would be looking at a change to the vBIOS for voltage mods. So yeah, neither of those endeavors is a software controllable tweak, and to the best of my knowledge it never is.

I was quite shocked when I could clock it at 1175 MHz but when I tried some benchmarks like 3Dmark11, Metro2033, even furmark always led me to this crash 'The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.'

I am wondering if anyone is running it smooth with the new bios ? I am running on MSI OEM laptop and latest WHQL driver.

Or does anyone know how to overcome with this crash ? Thanks :)

• Founder
Did that and finally found my limit @ 1091 / 2300 with the new vbios.

Racking up to 8500 in graphic score and breaking the 8000p barrier score, I couldn't be happier :)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor, MS-1762 score: P8085 3DMarks

That's a very good OC and should give you all the performance you need. Now back it down by about 10-20 mhz and it should be stable for 24/7 use.

@mino

Thanks, but the screen shot is soo tiny i cant see the values you put there... So you are using nvidia inspector.. You're not using afterburner?.. If not can show me the values (in detail) on how you fiddled with the settings of inspector? Can teach me the basics too? I havent tried that one yet though... Thanks... Oh and thanks to svl7 for creating the modded bios for msi :Banane06:

this is my highest though...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5328589

Sorry about the screenshot since this forum only allows me up to 800 x 600 which is 4:3 in aspect ration but my screen is 16:9 in aspect ratio so it's smaller when resized.

Nah, I like Nvidiainspector being simpler and allows us to tweak a game profile from the driver :D

It is as easy as using Afterburner. Simply click 'show overclocking' when you open it and then slide the slider to the desired value and then it's done :)

My clocks were 1091 Mhz in core and 2300 Mhz in memory. The offsets were + 320 in core and + 500 in memory. I assume you use the latest vbios made by svl7.

Well, that's rather low score. What were your clocks ?

Indeed, thank you very much svl7 and keep the good work up :D

Hey, can anyone please explain the differences between the 3 Clevo OC VBIOS options there. I can't seem to find a description of what the difference is between them.

Thank you so much, and sorry if I'm blind and I missed the answer :)

If you read the first two posts, it explains about the "OCEdition" and the "915" settings.

If you read the first two posts, it explains about the "OCEdition" and the "915" settings.

I only see this:

Based on the Clevo 680m vbios:

• 'OCedition' revised -> higher limits for software overclocking, stock default clocks. For P1xxHM based systems I recommend only using version 80.04.29.00.01 !! Some users reported issue with other vbios versions (stock or modified, doesn't matter). EM users make sure you're on the latest BIOS / EC

NOTE: At the moment the Clevo 80.04.67.00.01 vbios will crash Nvidia Inspector and GPU-Z, stock or modified, doesn't matter. MSI Afterburner works.

I still don't see an explanation of what the difference is between them in regards to clock and voltage settings? They all say OCedition revised.

Again, sorry if I'm completely blind or something.

Thanks,

-A

• Brian featured this topic