NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Reason for this test: So I looked into how the CPU would enter Turboboost and how it shut down cores to achieve higher clock speeds. Forcing it at 100% at all times just isn't the way to go...

Once again, congratulations @svl7 for the update. Once I break that mark, a big round will be headed your way. (I already donated before~)

So only 70 points higher for .33 version ... But do we have other advantages to get .67 ? it's supposed to be a new version... so do we have any improvement ? :D

I have a xmg bios, EC/KBC V 1.02.11 & BIOS V 1.02.14 with a 680m and 3610qm - What's your advice ?

BTW, using thorttlestop is not a good idea ?

• Founder

After much fiddling with my system and these Clevo cards + some great tips from my buddy @Mr. Fox I finally joined the 17k gpu and 14k overall club. Guess these crappy Clevo's were able to put on the big boy pants and join Dell: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR1 score: P14215 3DMarks Of course thanks goes to @svl7 since all of us would be pissed about NVIDIA gimping these cards had our resident vbios genius not gotten passed their bullshit. Also props to @johnksss for keeping us excited enough to continue the chase.

post-5-1449499408145_thumb.jpg

So only 70 points higher for .33 version ... But do we have other advantages to get .67 ? it's supposed to be a new version... so do we have any improvement ? :D

I have a xmg bios, EC/KBC V 1.02.11 & BIOS V 1.02.14 with a 680m and 3610qm - What's your advice ?

BTW, using thorttlestop is not a good idea ?

Wouldn't matter too much since Clevio BIOS is severely limited and doesn't let you edit any features that are needed for overclocking. P150EM also lacks the ability to use Intel XTU.

@Brian: Congrats

I might consider switching to a 15.6 inch AW (I don't like sizes bigger than that) and transfer my parts over to see the difference with unlocked features. Got any ideas if the M15x is good or should I hold off until the new lineup comes in?

• Founder
Wouldn't matter too much since Clevio BIOS is severely limited and doesn't let you edit any features that are needed for overclocking. P150EM also lacks the ability to use Intel XTU.

@Brian: Congrats

I might consider switching to a 15.6 inch AW (I don't like sizes bigger than that) and transfer my parts over to see the difference with unlocked features. Got any ideas if the M15x is good or should I hold off until the new lineup comes in?

M15x is a few generations old now, @svl7 just modded his stuff enough to allow it to keep up with recent systems. I believe Dell may reintroduce the M15x in 2013 so if you want to go Alienware at that size, wait until May/June for an announcement. My guess is we'll see: M13x, return of M15x, M17x (dual GPU) and the end of M18x (sadly). If the latter doesn't happen in 2013 then I'm almost certain it will in 2014.

• Founder

Looking real good! That 3920xm is a beast, I can't get anywhere close to 10.8k.

Did you crossflash EC/BIOS in your P150EM to P170EM?

I did not attempt it. I would prefer the Sager BIOS if I were to do so in order to use the fan controls. Do I just straight up cross flash? What's the success rate of doing so? I remember reading that it required soldering some other part onto the motherboard to work...

I asked if you had it since getting it directly requires me to email them. Not to mention that newer BIOS from Sager has a higher chance of bricking the laptop when crossflashing. I just wanted to know if its successful and if so, I would like the copy of the BIOS that was used to do it.

Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01 works - last clevo bios - great for me ... nice temperature, nice cooling function (going down faster), nice framerates in BF3... Doing better than the stock one ;)

OC at 980 - 2300 as adviced by lonesyndal.

Which nvidia driver rocks for BF3 ?

good job ! thanks a lot

If the M17x is dual GPU, I may consider getting it. I'm still going for 15~15.6 inch, but if I can add another card some time in the future, might as well right?

@johnksss: Pretty sure it will wow many ;P

If only Clevo EM series had unlocked BIOS... would be a day of reckoning for us all.

Yeah, that's not what i was wowing about. :)

In other news.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2960XM Processor,Alienware M18xR2 score: P14985 3DMarks

3d11680m2960xm50.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it seems there is no fan control on the Dell 680m vBIOS no voltage mod. Is there any way to get that back?

I've tried Afterburner, Precision X, and nVidia Inspector, and the fan control is greyed out on all of them.

Which BIOS should I use to have fan control?

Right now the fan is at 0% even at 60+ degrees on my M18x R2, with no way to manually turn it up. Is that normal?

Thanks

Do you refer to the GPU-Z reading? Cause that isn't valid for any mobile GPU. The mobile video cards usually don't control the fans, it's all done by the EC. Therefore you'll get wrong readings by any tool which uses the nvapi to access those values.

• Brian featured this topic