NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

@karasahin I have not tested because there is not "MSI" stands directly and the MSI 870M are the only ones with 3GB. Did not really pleasurable to damage my card :)

But if you say that the VBIOS works with your 870M, then everything is OK In which device you run the card? Can you maybe upload a GPU-Z Screenshoot ?

• Bios Modder
hmm i can only raise up to 1076Mhz from 941Mhz default Clock. i´ve tested with nvinspector and msi afterburner.

You did not flash my mod, because if you correctly flash, then you can see that in my mod vbios i set core clock 1006 and memory clock 3000(6000) as default.

• Bios Modder
i´ve flash your Mod vBIOS. Only GPU-Z shows 1006Mhz as default clock...

:) That problem in Nvidia drivers. Just reinstal Nvidia Drivers with option "Clean Install".

http://img.techpowerup.org/150303/nvidia_20150303_225306.png

Read it and weep, Quodros do kick a Geforce in the ass. Got this k4000m clocking the same speed a 970m GTX can at under 60C. Fan is going at 100%!

This is why Nvidia wants to kill overclocking. The quodros are a beast at OC! Thanks for the unlocked bios! Geforce ain't Sith spit to a Quodro....I will always buy Fire Pro or Quodro frrom now on.

Think if it were a k5100m.....It would eat a 980m and hold pair with 980m sli. I am sold on CAD cards being converted to gamer style beast!

http://img.techpowerup.org/150303/nvidia_20150303_225306.png

Read it and weep, Quodros do kick a Geforce in the ass. Got this k4000m clocking the same speed a 970m GTX can at under 60C. Fan is going at 100%!

This is why Nvidia wants to kill overclocking. The quodros are a beast at OC! Thanks for the unlocked bios! Geforce ain't Sith spit to a Quodro....I will always buy Fire Pro or Quodro frrom now on.

Think if it were a k5100m.....It would eat a 980m and hold pair with 980m sli. I am sold on CAD cards being converted to gamer style beast!

Uh post some game benchmarks and 3DMark/Unigine. 980M and 970M would eat it alive, as would 680M/780M/870M/880M.

Also I've seen 675MX OC much higher. Core is average, memory is below average.

Hold up, how hard can you get a 680mx, I would real world numbers not some benchmark app that holds back. Also must be kept under 60C to insure no bricking. It must run cool. I am calling you out on this. I might be a little rusty on the OC but pushing a K650m on a 1730m XPS this hard would deep fry both 9800GTXs.

It dose not matter how high up you push the card if it will brick in 6 months.

I have a couple of rules when OC'ing a card, number one rule is if it goes above 60C one a laptop after three hours of gaming (pushed this one in Saint's row 4: Gat out of Hell at those numbers through everything from the flight machcanics, to fighting arch demons, to Challenge Satan. It stayed below 60C)

The reason for my 60C rule is I use to brick Geforce FX cards if I did not water cool. 9800GTX in laptops were amazing overclockers yet the heat levels of that card would literally bake my keyboard in a laptop. I know you bunch of younger overclockers likely push over 70C and to that inferno level of 80C to 90C. But you are literally soul reaping your card of life. How often do you have to bake / reflow your cards? Sorry seems a little out of place.

Also another reason why I am "happy" to see this Quodro overclock so high without breaking a sweat is it proves a point that these cards are underclocked by Nvidia to a point they flood the market when the next latest cards hit the deck. K5100m will likely prove to be just as much a beast, you can likely push that card harder then you would a Geforce because of the insane compactors and voltage these bad boys can handle. This k4000m is how old on the market? 2012-2013. I think that pretty good for a CAD card being tossed on Ultra in Saint's Row 4: GOOH since my 560m GTX was such a bottle neck as well as it seems a 880mGTX or a k4100m is out of the question running on my R3, Maxwell just won't run on my Sandy bridge.

So why don't "you" go buy a Quodro and see how hard you can push it with it double floating point precision , Error-correcting code which is great when I had 4 Arch demons and grunts all protecting Dex, and the other utilities I am seeing on this card that a programmer like me will use one day to build games with. Honestly I am seeing untap potential in the Quodros. Where the Geforce cards are set stock faster, the quodro is able to render smoother models. The animation plus 3d rendering on the screen alone is hot. Maybe I am too old fashion but I have seen a lot of cards in my day. Nothing like an unlocked Quodro on overall performance, the Geforce just leaves too much trash behind in it rendering. The models don't look as smooth on a Geforce. At least to my eyes.

Hold up, how hard can you get a 680mx, I would real world numbers not some benchmark app that holds back. Also must be kept under 60C to insure no bricking. It must run cool. I am calling you out on this. I might be a little rusty on the OC but pushing a K650m on a 1730m XPS this hard would deep fry both 9800GTXs.

It dose not matter how high up you push the card if it will brick in 6 months.

I have a couple of rules when OC'ing a card, number one rule is if it goes above 60C one a laptop after three hours of gaming (pushed this one in Saint's row 4: Gat out of Hell at those numbers through everything from the flight machcanics, to fighting arch demons, to Challenge Satan. It stayed below 60C)

The reason for my 60C rule is I use to brick Geforce FX cards if I did not water cool. 9800GTX in laptops were amazing overclockers yet the heat levels of that card would literally bake my keyboard in a laptop. I know you bunch of younger overclockers likely push over 70C and to that inferno level of 80C to 90C. But you are literally soul reaping your card of life. How often do you have to bake / reflow your cards? Sorry seems a little out of place.

Also another reason why I am "happy" to see this Quodro overclock so high without breaking a sweat is it proves a point that these cards are underclocked by Nvidia to a point they flood the market when the next latest cards hit the deck. K5100m will likely prove to be just as much a beast, you can likely push that card harder then you would a Geforce because of the insane compactors and voltage these bad boys can handle. This k4000m is how old on the market? 2012-2013. I think that pretty good for a CAD card being tossed on Ultra in Saint's Row 4: GOOH since my 560m GTX was such a bottle neck as well as it seems a 880mGTX or a k4100m is out of the question running on my R3, Maxwell just won't run on my Sandy bridge.

So why don't "you" go buy a Quodro and see how hard you can push it with it double floating point precision , Error-correcting code which is great when I had 4 Arch demons and grunts all protecting Dex, and the other utilities I am seeing on this card that a programmer like me will use one day to build games with. Honestly I am seeing untap potential in the Quodros. Where the Geforce cards are set stock faster. The animation plus 3d rendering on the screen alone is hot. Maybe I am too old fashion but I have seen a lot of cards in my day. Nothing like an unlocked Quodro on overall performance, the Geforce just leaves too much trash behind in it rendering. The models don't look as smooth. At least to my eyes.

You have very old information. It's completely unnecessary to arbitarily set your max temperature of your GPU to 60 degC, it's completely fine up to say 85 degC. Won't shorten the life of the card, unless you want to keep it for 10 years or something.

Your Quaddro is based on the GTX 675MX, which can hit insanely high overclocks compared to stock for the reason you mentioned (these particular cards are underclocked by NVidia excessively). I have the 670MX which is essentially the same card, and it also overclocks to ridiculous levels for the same reason. Your Quaddro isn't clocked that high, but it's a good clock on stock voltage, I have 1124Mhz at 1.05V though.

You have very old information. It's completely unnecessary to arbitarily set your max temperature of your GPU to 60 degC, it's completely fine up to say 85 degC. Won't shorten the life of the card, unless you want to keep it for 10 years or something.

Your Quaddro is based on the GTX 675MX, which can hit insanely high overclocks compared to stock for the reason you mentioned (these particular cards are underclocked by NVidia excessively). I have the 670MX which is essentially the same card, and it also overclocks to ridiculous levels for the same reason. Your Quaddro isn't clocked that high, but it's a good clock on stock voltage, I have 1124Mhz at 1.05V though.

I see. Robbo thankyou for that information. I seem to be bottlenecking at 1005 core and 1900 memory. Is the tool the issue? Any suggestions on how to take this card further would be helpful. But I think the Double-precision floating-point might be holding this card back but that also what is making AA not so important on higher res. EEC could also be bottle-necking this card.

Other than that, I ran Skyrim at 48-55 frames on ultra stable so I am particularly happy with the results. This card also seems to handle well with multiple enemies where I seen the 560m GTX choke. Maybe my information is old but since this is my first overclock in years I am enjoying the rewards. I tried to tweak this card even more before work...It would wig out over 1005mhz on the core and above 1900 on the memory. Since that leaning towards at least a 880m GTX stock based on notebookcheck I am quite pleased. I was using benchmark Valley this morning though I prefer using actual games as my baseline.

Don't shit on the old man's victory.

By the way, I would like to stick with this card for awhile now. I could be wrong on this card and it a total waste.

I see. Robbo thankyou for that information. I seem to be bottlenecking at 1005 core and 1900 memory. Is the tool the issue? Any suggestions on how to take this card further would be helpful. But I think the Double-precision floating-point might be holding this card back but that also what is making AA not so important on higher res. EEC could also be bottle-necking this card.

Other than that, I ran Skyrim at 48-55 frames on ultra stable so I am particularly happy with the results. This card also seems to handle well with multiple enemies where I seen the 560m GTX choke. Maybe my information is old but since this is my first overclock in years I am enjoying the rewards. I tried to tweak this card even more before work...It would wig out over 1005mhz on the core and above 1900 on the memory. Since that leaning towards at least a 880m GTX stock based on notebookcheck I am quite pleased. I was using benchmark Valley this morning though I prefer using actual games as my baseline.

Don't shit on the old man's victory.

By the way, I would like to stick with this card for awhile now. I could be wrong on this card and it a total waste.

I assume you're using the K4000M vBIOS on the first page of this thread. I'm not familiar with that particular vBIOS, I don't know if it's voltage adjustable. If it's voltage adjustable you can increase the voltage of the core using NVidia Inspector, which will enable you to get a higher stable core overclock, and given your very low GPU temperatures under 60 degC, then I think it's safe to increase the voltage & the core speed Mhz. If it's not voltage adjustable, then you're just stuck with the highest stable overclock you've currently been able to achieve. 933Mhz (or whatever exact overclock you mentioned) is a great overclock at stock voltage, so that's good anyway.

@octiceps

After reconsidering your post, maybe you are not looking for a pissing contest which I am not seeking. I don't mind comparing notes but please take into consideration I did say it getting to stock value of a 980m GTX. Never did I say it would out overclock.

Seriously, I won't buy a 980m GTX for years to come. I prefer to put that 1200 to better use. Like as a stock share holder of Nvidia. That was not too much of a rant, more like a defenses to my excitement. It been a while since I seen anything just step up like this can. I never thought the 560m GTX was worth overclocking so never bothered.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you're using the K4000M vBIOS on the first page of this thread. I'm not familiar with that particular vBIOS, I don't know if it's voltage adjustable. If it's voltage adjustable you can increase the voltage of the core using NVidia Inspector, which will enable you to get a higher stable core overclock, and given your very low GPU temperatures under 60 degC, then I think it's safe to increase the voltage & the core speed Mhz. If it's not voltage adjustable, then you're just stuck with the highest stable overclock you've currently been able to achieve. 933Mhz (or whatever exact overclock you mentioned) is a great overclock at stock voltage, so that's good anyway.

Yes I am using the bios here, it seems to be a good base to start from since I am a bit rusty. When I get home I will take a look at the voltage. Nvidia Inspector is what I am using now so no worries there. There is nothing quite like tuning, car to cards it a thrill I do enjoy. Thanks for the patience with an old geek like me.

Not reading all that. You were the one who said it could beat 980M, not me.

I don't believe I acturally said my k4000m could beat the 980m GTX OC'ed. Just saying for the cash it sure seems to be coming to 980m GTX stock. Sorry if you got the wrong idea. Now you may have misread my addition that I think the K5100m could outclass the 980m GTX with some tweaking. The smooth detailing I am getting off of the k4000m should be carried over to the k5100m which is on par between the 880m gtx stock.

There is more to rending then frames per second. Making the meshes smooth and fluent is just as important, at least to me.

Now if you are still looking to troll and piss then I must ask you to leave me be.

I'm talking about gaming. For non-gaming applications ofc a Quadro stomps a GeForce. I'm very well aware of that, having used Quadros in a mobile workstation that I own and in the 3D lab at college.

Perhaps there is a language barrier between us, but for gaming there is no way a K4000M or K5100M, no matter how overclocked, is going to even be close to a stock 980M. A K4000M is an underclocked 675MX and a K5100M is an underclocked 780M. A stock 980M is almost twice as fast as a stock 780M. Furthermore, Maxwell has amazing OC potential. I have seen overclocked 970M match desktop 780 and 780M SLI.

Also, you should take a little more care before throwing that troll word around because you've only been here a few days and it makes you look like one.

I'm talking about gaming. For non-gaming applications ofc a Quadro stomps a GeForce. I'm very well aware of that, having used Quadros in a mobile workstation that I own and in the 3D lab at college.

Perhaps there is a language barrier between us, but for gaming there is no way a K4000M or K5100M, no matter how overclocked, is going to even be close to a stock 980M. A K4000M is an underclocked 675MX and a K5100M is an underclocked 780M. A stock 980M is almost twice as fast as a stock 780M. Furthermore, Maxwell has amazing OC potential. I have seen overclocked 970M match desktop 780 and 780M SLI.

Also, you should take a little more care before throwing that troll word around because you've only been here a few days and it makes you look like one.

Then let me learn this lesson through my own trails for you just telling me is like a sheep listening to a shepard. Excuse me but you are not a master over me. Hence the reason why I said you are being a troll, trying to put down my skills or therories in absolutes and constants doomed to fail. Your "opinion" is yours and stop forcing them upon me and let my research come to bare fruit. I think being able to play some very rigid games smoothly such as Skyrim, Saint's Row 4, and Stranded Deep is a sign that they can be taken to a level beyond what you have seen in the past.

As for the 780m GTX vs 980m GTX stock being twice as fast is a bit far fetched : Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Maybe 20% faster yes but are we taking it double a bit far?

I see it you are just looking for any reason to put me down under your boot so as such a bully and since you are no physical threat to me. Ignoring your every post from this day forth, I hope to find a "ignore list" here to put you on. Have a good day.

Ahhh, I found the ignore list. *Click* Bye.

@Robbo ,

I did find that the bios is locked on voltage so I guess that as far as I will be going till I get this figured out. Would love to push this card harder.

You could request svl7 to produce a higher voltage version of the vBIOS at his vBIOS request thread, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope of it happening, but doesn't hurt to ask:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7.html

(I think I heard you saying that your overclocked card was nearly as fast as a stock 980M, it's way slower than a stock 980M, mine with a core clock of 1124Mhz is even way slower than a 980M. Those 980M's are very impressive cards. All benchmark scores for you to check at notebookcheck.net).

When I am seeing games like Skyrim pushing 61 (on a 120 hz monitor) fps on ultra on real time processing I would say I am close to it. I read that each mhz taken up on the bios equals a higher OC based on a multiplier. If that is the case this card to pushing close to a 980m core speed. Just reporting the facts I am finding, that is all. Not looking to piss anyone off even though in my excitement I may had done so. But Skyrim and Saint's Row 4 are no easy renders, I have yet to see a slow down on this card. I think that ARM cpu on the 980m GTX is acting like a mini-computer so that it can compete with AMD's low level api. That might be why the the card itself is busting tail. I don't doubt the gpu with the ARM cpu can be completely overtaken. That ARM chip gives an advantage to processing interrupts in the card. Leaving the gpu to do more with rendering.

Now I do have a friend who has a desktop 970 GTX, plan on seeing how he sees it. We were old college roomies asnd do "Let's Plays" together. Now if I find out I am lacking power I will bow to the greater logic. The fact still bstands this card with proper cooling (arctic silver and better with fan maxed hw mod) it OCs as good as most Geforce cards. Just got a few more hoops to leap through.

A 980m GTX on a R3 , is it even possible? The maxwells haven't faired well on my R3....

When I am seeing games like Skyrim pushing 61 (on a 120 hz monitor) fps on ultra on real time processing I would say I am close to it. I read that each mhz taken up on the bios equals a higher OC based on a multiplier. If that is the case this card to pushing close to a 980m core speed. Just reporting the facts I am finding, that is all. Not looking to piss anyone off even though in my excitement I may had done so. But Skyrim and Saint's Row 4 are no easy renders, I have yet to see a slow down on this card. I think that ARM cpu on the 980m GTX is acting like a mini-computer so that it can compete with AMD's low level api. That might be why the the card itself is busting tail. I don't doubt the gpu with the ARM cpu can be completely overtaken. That ARM chip gives an advantage to processing interrupts in the card. Leaving the gpu to do more with rendering.

Now I do have a friend who has a desktop 970 GTX, plan on seeing how he sees it. We were old college roomies asnd do "Let's Plays" together. Now if I find out I am lacking power I will bow to the greater logic. The fact still bstands this card with proper cooling (arctic silver and better with fan maxed hw mod) it OCs as good as most Geforce cards. Just got a few more hoops to leap through.

A 980m GTX on a R3 , is it even possible? The maxwells haven't faired well on my R3....

There aren't any ARM chips on any of the Maxwell cards, whether they be mobile or desktop cards. Initially, Nvidia was going to include ARM CPUs on the Maxwell GPUs, but that never came to pass.

Maxwell GPUs aren't compatible with the M17xR3 according to forum member 'Reborn' from notebookreview forums - he tried, they don't get past the post screen.

• Brian featured this topic