NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

• Bios Modder
thank you for your quick reply!

it is: MSI 80.04.EA.00.03

[ATTACH]12591[/ATTACH]

I already put this mod in this thread on this page: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-461.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you,!

I didnt found because your post cuz it was not on the first post list, and just searched for "4gb 880m" term and not MSI

I hope it works on my 4gb version, I will test and edit this post saying if it worked :)

Edit: It worked!! Thanks again !!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi!

I have an ASUS G750JZ with GTX880M 4GB GDDR5 and I have tried the above mentioned MSI 880M modified vBIOS, since it was reported to work with the 4GB variant of 880M.

There was a PCI missmatch according to NVflash, but I have overwritten it.

The problem is that even thou the card comes online, the memory clock will not go above 405 Mhz during load, so this vBIOS does not work correctly with the ASUS GTX880M 4GB.

My question is:

Could someone please unlock/remove limitations/remove throttle, etc from the vBIOS of the Asus GTX880M 4GB ?

I will attach the latest vBIOS to this post.

Thank you!

ASUS880M4G.zip

I flashed the overvolted 1.025v vbios from the 2nd post for my GTX 680M and it screwed up my system. It goes to the black initial boot screen with F2 Setup F7 Boot Options menu but it doesnt respond to either of those keys and laptop doesnt proceed to boot into OS. It shows MXM Nvidia vbios screen with vbios version for a few seconds and then screen goes black and thats it. I did backup my working vbios before flashing, but I cannot boot from USB drive to restore becuase I can't get to boot menu. Would appreciate some help, this is my primary PC and I'm pretty bummed right now

UPDATE: if I dont press any keys during boot im actually able to get to windows, but cant install any graphics drivers and nvidia inspector gives blank screen with some error code. I cant boot into bios , so does anyone know how to change device boot sequence from windows or is there windows based version of nvflash, so I could flash back a working vbios?

UPDATE2: I tried removing primary SSD with bootable OS on it, hoping the bios would try next available boot device, which is USB stick with nvflash on it, but it didn't boot it. When I put the SSD back in it now stopped booting into OS as well. Just shows Nvidia MXM VBIOS screen and goes black

I need help reverting back to 80.04.29.00.01 VBIOS and I cannot boot the computer or even get to the BIOS to change the boot sequence to USB drive. Already put my old GTX 675M back in...Any suggestions would be appreciated

My GTX 680m is new, so I got RMA and shipped it back. Had to pay for shipping both ways and a service fee to reflash the good VBIOS - will cost me well over $100 to get this fixed. @svl7: it proves to be very costly to try these custom mods and I want to know what fail-safe I got if I want to try another mod??? How safe is it to flash "Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01" VBIOS to my Clevo P150HM, instead of 80.04.29.00.01 stock??

My GTX 680m is new, so I got RMA and shipped it back. Had to pay for shipping both ways and a service fee to reflash the good VBIOS - will cost me well over $100 to get this fixed. @svl7: it proves to be very costly to try these custom mods and I want to know what fail-safe I got if I want to try another mod??? How safe is it to flash "Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01" VBIOS to my Clevo P150HM, instead of 80.04.29.00.01 stock??

I'm amazed they even offered to reflash it for you.

Don't flash the vbios if you can't accept the risks associated with it. Things don't always work how they are expected to. Clevo machines won't POST with a bad vbios flash so you have no option but to either put it in another MXM machine that has on board video and doesn't link vbios to bios (Alienware basically) or you can buy vbios chips on eBay and solder them yourself to get back to stock vbios or you can send the card off to get reflashed like you did.

It's interesting in your case though because it did POST. Curious did you turn off boot logo in BIOS settings? I did that the other day and then couldn't get into the BIOS either. I had to boot to Windows successfully and shut down (not restart) then turn the machine on and mash the F2 as soon as the back light came on to get in there, then had to reset defaults and reboot and now it works fine again. Seems to be a bug.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm amazed they even offered to reflash it for you.

Don't flash the vbios if you can't accept the risks associated with it. Things don't always work how they are expected to. Clevo machines won't POST with a bad vbios flash so you have no option but to either put it in another MXM machine that has on board video and doesn't link vbios to bios (Alienware basically) or you can buy vbios chips on eBay and solder them yourself to get back to stock vbios or you can send the card off to get reflashed like you did.

It's interesting in your case though because it did POST. Curious did you turn off boot logo in BIOS settings? I did that the other day and then couldn't get into the BIOS either. I had to boot to Windows successfully and shut down (not restart) then turn the machine on and mash the F2 as soon as the back light came on to get in there, then had to reset defaults and reboot and now it works fine again. Seems to be a bug.

Thanks for your reply. I do accept the risks of flashing vbios and that's why I flashed it. I'm not blaming anybody, but I do need to have an idea how much risk exactly am I taking because as I just found out it is costly to fix....In my experience, firmware devs are always super-careful and cautious about the stuff they release and they put it through very thorough testing before release, because they understand bad firmware can permanently brick an expensive chipset. The flash I did was successful, it did not fail and the VBIOS I used is indeed listed under Clevo and GTX 680M, which is the hardware I have. Despite that my card was bricked, and that is why what happened to me caught me by surprise and raised a red flag, making me ask questions before I attempt flashing mods from this thread again. I just need to understand what is the amount of risk I'm taking, because if it goes south again, it's another $150, 2 weeks and like you said - the vendor may not even agree to help me out anymore.

To answer your question - I have not changed any BIOS settings at all, boot logo or otherwise. The only thing I did is change the boot sequence to set USB stick to be first boot device, before I flashed. I'm also not quite sure how you concluded my BIOS didn't POST - there was a couple of beeps on startup and then it went to NVIDIA MXM VBIOS screen. Normally my BIOS doesnt display much besides the same initial screen I'm still getting and goes straight to Windows logo after that.

Anyways, I would appreciate a comment from the dev about risks of flashing "Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01" VBIOS to my Clevo P150HM, instead of 80.04.29.00.01 stock, which is what I'm considering trying when I get my card back. Also, if there is an alternative way to get out of this - please share.

Bricks happen. I almost had to send my machine off for repair after the initial 880M vbios release had an error that caused it to brick machines without Optimus, things happen.

I believe svl7 is on vacation, at least that was the last I heard. Maybe Klem or someone else here can shine light on what happened and your vbios questions.

Thanks for your reply. I do accept the risks of flashing vbios and that's why I flashed it. I'm not blaming anybody, but I do need to have an idea how much risk exactly am I taking because as I just found out it is costly to fix....In my experience, firmware devs are always super-careful and cautious about the stuff they release and they put it through very thorough testing before release, because they understand bad firmware can permanently brick an expensive chipset. The flash I did was successful, it did not fail and the VBIOS I used is indeed listed under Clevo and GTX 680M, which is the hardware I have. Despite that my card was bricked, and that is why what happened to me caught me by surprise and raised a red flag, making me ask questions before I attempt flashing mods from this thread again. I just need to understand what is the amount of risk I'm taking, because if it goes south again, it's another $150, 2 weeks and like you said - the vendor may not even agree to help me out anymore.

To answer your question - I have not changed any BIOS settings at all, boot logo or otherwise. The only thing I did is change the boot sequence to set USB stick to be first boot device, before I flashed. I'm also not quite sure how you concluded my BIOS didn't POST - there was a couple of beeps on startup and then it went to NVIDIA MXM VBIOS screen. Normally my BIOS doesnt display much besides the same initial screen I'm still getting and goes straight to Windows logo after that.

Anyways, I would appreciate a comment from the dev about risks of flashing "Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01" VBIOS to my Clevo P150HM, instead of 80.04.29.00.01 stock, which is what I'm considering trying when I get my card back. Also, if there is an alternative way to get out of this - please share.

Yes. You can get a machine that can run sg mode or you get a second machine that can run sg mode. That's about it. And since your card was soft bricked. Pretty hard to actually hard brick a card vbios flashing it.

Would need a better explanation of exactly what happen from start to end, before rendering some form of an answer to your question though. It bricked really does not explain anything....

Are there risk to flashing... Sure, there is always risk, but if you do everything right and have the right file then the risk is very minimal.

You could have probably blind flashed your card if it would read a flash drive, but not 100 percent on that. Auto reading part with that machine.

alternative way. Get another machine you can flash mxm cards in. Since some of us have alienwares, it's pretty darn easy to never have a permanent "soft" ( Meaning all flashes are recoverable) bricked card.

Get another machine you can flash mxm cards in. Since some of us have alienwares, it's pretty darn easy to never have a permanent "soft" ( Meaning all flashes are recoverable) bricked card.

are you suggesting I invest thousands of dollars and buy another high end gaming laptop, such as alienware, as a fail-safe for the remote possibility of having another soft-brick, for the 2nd time in a row? :67:

Because if you are - for the cost of alienware I could send soft bricked card to vendor repair about 20 times, or just buy 4-5 spare video cards....

are you suggesting I invest thousands of dollars and buy another high end gaming laptop, such as alienware, as a fail-safe for the remote possibility of having another soft-brick, for the 2nd time in a row? :67:

Because if you are - for the cost of alienware I could send soft bricked card to vendor repair about 20 times, or just buy 4-5 spare video cards....

OK, you know this sounds ridiculous right?

And if you had an Alienware they would have done the whole thing for free! Or you would have recovered it for free!

And if you didn't have a spare laptop LAYING around (1 capable of flashing a mxm 3.0 card), then you will keep spending money my friend or quit flashing for fear of a failed attempt.

could you please do the 675m

675m is an older, fermi architecture card, not kepler....I have it in my laptop right now and it won't do you any good to have custom VBIOS with increased clock limits. Fermi cards overheat much more and much faster than kepler and you won't even be able to use the max overclock frequencies stock VBIOS allows - your machine will overheat and reboot. I tried nvidia inspector, and precision x. You can go to 730-740mhz core clock tops, and then the temp will start climbing above 110C

- - - Updated - - -

OK, you know this sounds ridiculous right?

And if you had an Alienware they would have done the whole thing for free! Or you would have recovered it for free!

And if you didn't have a spare laptop LAYING around (1 capable of flashing a mxm 3.0 card), then you will keep spending money my friend or quit flashing for fear of a failed attempt.

I'm proud to say I'm no longer a member of flashaholics anonymous - went through rehab years ago and I no longer get the cramps, associated with lack of flashing. Therefore, the term "quit flashing" doesn't really apply to me - I'm not really into experimenting for scientific curiosity - once I find a working VBIOS, which will remove that native +135mhz OC limit kelper cards have and unlock higher voltages - I'll be done, until I buy a new laptop with new GPU. To my knowledge, GTX 680M is the newest GPU my old Clevo P150HM can take.

The problem with that is.. It takes someone else willing to "experiment" to "make" it work. How do you think these mods get made?

I would ask someone like prema to see if you can even go higher on gpu.

As I scroll up. You know you could have re flashed your card while in windows right? Would have been real simple to do.

Also, what state are you in? Some may just flash it for you.

• Thumbs Up 2

675m is an older, fermi architecture card, not kepler....I have it in my laptop right now and it won't do you any good to have custom VBIOS with increased clock limits. Fermi cards overheat much more and much faster than kepler and you won't even be able to use the max overclock frequencies stock VBIOS allows - your machine will overheat and reboot. I tried nvidia inspector, and precision x. You can go to 730-740mhz core clock tops, and then the temp will start climbing above 110C

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the time saver ill probably upgrade my gpu since im upgrading everything else in my laptop

The problem with that is.. It takes someone else willing to "experiment" to "make" it work. How do you think these mods get made?

I would ask someone like prema to see if you can even go higher on gpu.

As I scroll up. You know you could have re flashed your card while in windows right? Would have been real simple to do.

Also, what state are you in? Some may just flash it for you.

I'm just one hour drive away from you bud - San Diego here :bananajump:

And no - I had no idea it could be done in windows. All i know is nvflash, 16bit DOS utlity. Would appreciate some tips how to do it in Windows next time. Also, believe me - I have done my homework and researched a bunch of threads on this and other forums and I have a list of OC frequency combinations of core/memory/shader for stock VBIOSes and overvolted ones people have been successful with. It definitely goes higher that +135mhz - stock frequency is 720mhz and users like @Tonrac have been able to push this card to over 1ghz without overheating, on overvolted VBIOses

I can flash a card in the car if need be or a starbucks. :D

And a single 680M is capable of speeds like..

Johnksss`s 3DMark Vantage - Performance score: 33002 marks with a GeForce GTX 680M

I always flash in windows. it's way faster when im doing vbios testing. And when it doesn't boot, I just pull the cards and boot sg graphics then flash the cards one at a time with a working vbios.

If you still have the card you can try and see if it will go to windows. If it does, then we can re flash it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can flash a card in the car if need be or a starbucks. :D

And a single 680M is capable of speeds like..

Johnksss`s 3DMark Vantage - Performance score: 33002 marks with a GeForce GTX 680M

I always flash in windows. it's way faster when im doing vbios testing. And when it doesn't boot, I just pull the cards and boot sg graphics then flash the cards one at a time with a working vbios.

If you still have the card you can try and see if it will go to windows. If it does, then we can re flash it.

To answer your question - no, unfortunately it no longer goes to Windows. To answer your other question about the location of my card - here it is: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action?tRef=qt&tLc=0&tLabels=EI327211837us

As soon as you posted about the possibility of flashing in windows I consulted the almighty Google about it and found this: NVFlash download version 5.163.0.1 The 163 version contains all 3 platforms - Windows, Dos and Linux and it is newer, than the 151 version, posted here on Tech Inferno

Yep. And then you would have to.

1: Make a folder named c:\nvflash. Copy all relevant files to this folder. Make a bat file. 680M.bat. Copied the rom you are flashing. 680M.rom: In the same folder.

2: In the bat file it would read. c:\nvflash\nvflash64.exe -5 -6 680M.rom

3: If flashing in dos then use the dos version. Copy all the files to your bootable flash drive.

4: Once done, then just shut down and restart.

If all is well, the computer will reboot back into windows. And that's it.

I have the full list of nvflash commands from the other thread, and I've read the detailed guide. I have flashed before, knowing the syntax was never an issue. Knowing how to do it doesnt help if you already have VBIOS, incompatible with your mobo, and can't boot any devices, including windows...

• Brian featured this topic