NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

That's incredibly odd to say the least. Seems like part of that issue got solved by changing secure boot related settings. As for overclocking, well that can easily be due changes made in the nvapi by nvidia. Then the oc tools need to be updated as well.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply was due to the crippled nvidia drivers. Many of you might not have noticed, but ever since like 304 the nvidia drivers have some serious issues. Not just performance related, but also when it comes to overclocking. And boost. Etc.

I managed to resolve my flashing problem. I've emulated the 780m, that didn't solve my over clocking problems. I have noticed that my core clock doesn't fire up straight after a system restart like it use to before taking the 340.43 update. Nvidia Inspector allows me to over clock again, the moment I fire up Nvidia Control Panel, which obviously, is kicking my core clock in at 993mhz. It seems that I'm having to use more voltage with minor over clock settings, since taking the 340.43 update. I've supplied you with my stock vbios in your request thread matey. I was hoping that we could work together, to come up with a solution. I'm willing to test any vbios for stability ext.. I will also donate to you again, for putting so much effort into this.

Of course it throttles, your temps are way too high for the card to sustain the set clocks. At about 92-93°C is the limit of those GK104 chips, then the driver will kick in and throttle, no matter what.

However I still don't believe that you can sustain 993MHz with the stock vbios without hitting the same temp limits.

I didn't come anywhere close to 92C, neither card passed 87C and the average was 80C so it throttled for some reason other than that. It most likely needs more power for that card, it seems to be weaker than the other one.

I did a modest overclock and this was my 3DM11:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

Second GPU hit 85C, primary hit 78C. There isn't much room for overclocking in these machines because of the way Clevo designed the cooling for the secondary GPU. That overclock took a 37.5mV overvolt and 140% power target to complete. Not a bad score but if the cooling system was better, the score would be better.

Firestrike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

I think at this point, I should just enjoy my machine and use it at stock clocks until such a point that I'm ready to cut out holes in the chassis to allow more air to get into the fans to cool things down more.

Clevo's cooling works great at stock clocks... they have it set up to where temps max at 87C with the secondary GPU always being one step up in fan speed over the primary. Its just not an enthusiast system. Gotta get the 9570 for that. I'm still thinking about it but I have to get a stock 9377 BIOS if I'm going to exchange it and there doesn't seem to be a stock Sager BIOS floating around for the 9377 and I can't very well send it back with Prema's BIOS.

I didn't come anywhere close to 92C, neither card passed 87C and the average was 80C so it throttled for some reason other than that. It most likely needs more power for that card, it seems to be weaker than the other one.

I did a modest overclock and this was my 3DM11:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

Second GPU hit 85C, primary hit 78C. There isn't much room for overclocking in these machines because of the way Clevo designed the cooling for the secondary GPU. That overclock took a 37.5mV overvolt and 140% power target to complete. Not a bad score but if the cooling system was better, the score would be better.

Firestrike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

I think at this point, I should just enjoy my machine and use it at stock clocks until such a point that I'm ready to cut out holes in the chassis to allow more air to get into the fans to cool things down more.

Clevo's cooling works great at stock clocks... they have it set up to where temps max at 87C with the secondary GPU always being one step up in fan speed over the primary. Its just not an enthusiast system. Gotta get the 9570 for that. I'm still thinking about it but I have to get a stock 9377 BIOS if I'm going to exchange it and there doesn't seem to be a stock Sager BIOS floating around for the 9377 and I can't very well send it back with Prema's BIOS.

Ask someone to backup a stock bios for you?

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

Ok, then I misinterpreted that graph. Kinda looks like > 90°C on your pics.

Do you have some graphs with the stock vbios? With no OC etc.

Sure do.

GPU0:

27y2x3n.png

GPU1:

53uwxv.png

Watch Dogs 1080p, Ultra, HBAO+ High, 2xTXAA

The averages are at the left side. It does look like 90 because of how the chart is displayed but the program adds a bar for 90 if it passes that point, neither GPU clocked past 87C.

Ask someone to backup a stock bios for you?

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

I would rather not do that. Unlike the GPUs, you can't recover from a bad BIOS flash. I'll just keep the 9377. My most demanding game is Watch Dogs and this system handles it with ease.

• Thumbs Up 1

svl7 / ethrem look at ur score.. this is exactly what i mean the GPU does fine while the CPU throttle?

u oc the GPU and now cpu does drop on score... normal physics is 10k+ now u got 8k

is this psu related? or limited power on mainboard?

ive got this on my AW17 with single 880m and 4910qm both OC.

i even bought 330w but doesnt help.

svl7 / ethrem look at ur score.. this is exactly what i mean the GPU does fine while the CPU throttle?

u oc the GPU and now cpu does drop on score... normal physics is 10k+ now u got 8k

is this psu related? or limited power on mainboard?

ive got this on my AW17 with single 880m and 4910qm both OC.

i even bought 330w but doesnt help.

You can see a perfect example right here Result

The left side is stock GPU clocks, the right is overclocked GPU. My physics is higher with no overclock... Although to be fair, my physics score has *NEVER* been 10k+

But yeah, the power limit on my system is dangerously close... I don't even have the CPU overclocked and you can see the loss on the CPU when I overclock both GPUs. I popped my A/C adapter the other day because I overloaded it when voltage on the GPUs was too high. But I have two cards. There is no way that your system should be overloading with one GPU.

Not sure what you exactly mean.... what's the problem with HWiNFO and fan control?

When i install hwinfo and set to control the fans:

My cpu fan is much quieter but temps getting higher than before.As for the gpu it completely messig it up. GPU overheating and the game or 3d test crashes, windows is still running thought. Since hwinfo not running the gpu fan at idle, a bit more faster than before when i had the AMD 5870M setup.

As for gpu fan is barely spinning at idle, but when gaming is responding to temp as it should be. Could be because the vbios is somewhat different or newer than some ppl have.

I only edited the vbios so is not having the UEFI code, because R2 is not UEFI :D And i overlock it with nvispector to 850/1100 still stable not not throttling, even with the standard R2 GPU heatsink. my temp not even stays 69-75c i think is good after (9hours) of gaming session :P with assassins creed v

I may just lucky because my setup is working as it should be. :D

If you need my vbios i already posted it.

Wait, so do we have to flash in a different way if we have UEFI?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

You have to disable UEFI booting when you flash the cards and then turn it back on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

You have to disable UEFI booting when you flash the cards and then turn it back on.

I actually don't think I have an option to disable it... either that or I'm not looking hard enough. I'll try again.

If you have the UEFI mode enabled, you may want to take the computer out of UEFI mode JUST to flash the vBIOS. Once the vBIOS is flashed, you can put the UEFI mode back on, and go back to your computing.

That's how I did mine. (See sig for laptop)

- - - Updated - - -

I actually don't think I have an option to disable it... either that or I'm not looking hard enough. I'll try again.

At boot, hit F2, go into BIOS, then find how to disable UEFI.

If you have the UEFI mode enabled, you may want to take the computer out of UEFI mode JUST to flash the vBIOS. Once the vBIOS is flashed, you can put the UEFI mode back on, and go back to your computing.

That's how I did mine. (See sig for laptop)

- - - Updated - - -

At boot, hit F2, go into BIOS, then find how to disable UEFI.

Nope, there was no option to change into legacy BIOS mode. There was a setting for boot type, and it has only one option: UEFI.

Nope, there was no option to change into legacy BIOS mode. There was a setting for boot type, and it has only one option: UEFI.

What make and model do you have? I know that DOS will work in UEFI mode if you use the right tool but I don't want to recommend that until we get confirmation from someone that it functions the same as BIOS mode and won't brick your cards.

Firestrike @ 1128/2800/1.087/130%

33m8yf8.png

Unforunately its not able to pass 3DMark 11 and pushing them to +100mV is too much for my 330W adapter and causes the overload protection to kick in. It didn't even drop me to battery, it straight shut the computer off lmao.

Still, that's pretty impressive. Max fans of course but 82C on the secondary GPU says there is still more room, at least for benching, I just need a Clevo converter box.

Within the UEFI mode, highlight it, hit "enter". it should pop up with a menu that says "enabled / disabled". Clock on "disabled". Reboot into the Legacy BIOS, and then flash. The only thing I can think of is that you may have accidentally turned Secure Booting on or something.

Jason

- - - Updated - - -

EM Systems don't gain extra options like all the others. All changes are under the hood.

(For Dennis)

No you don't. the current vbios is designed for legacy bios and UEFI operation, when is powered try to load the uefi first than switch to legacy mode.

I just did it for myself, because i don't need the uefi wrapper try to boot every time, stall the boot process with a few seconds.

My card were working flawlessly out of box...

hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice from the more experienced users on here. I have AW17 with 4900qm processor and a gtx780m gpu.

if i was to install the bios mod rev2 what would it do for me in the way of performance if anything, i'm not an overclocker or into benchmarking, i just play games.. would this mod reach new levels of performance for me?

Thanks in advance

Ian

hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice from the more experienced users on here. I have AW17 with 4900qm processor and a gtx70m gpu.

if i was to install the bios mod rev2 what would it do for me in the way of performance if anything, i'm not an overclocker or into benchmarking, i just play games.. would this mod reach new levels of performance for me?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Stock out of the box it will have a performance improvement because it stops your GPU from needlessly throttling. It is definitely useful to everyone, not just hardcore overclockers

hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice from the more experienced users on here. I have AW17 with 4900qm processor and a gtx70m gpu.

Thanks in advance

Ian

It's unlikely to improve the performance of your GPU unless you overclock, the GTX 770M (you made a typo I think) is a cool running card, especially in the AW17 so you're unlikely to get any kind of throttling with the stock vBIOS with that particular card. There's no point in flashing it unless you want to overclock the core beyond the +135Mhz limitation in your case I would think.

Nonsense. The 880m just has very little headroom by default. The voltage is set relatively low for the max default boost.

It occured to me that some cards might not perform properly with the settings in the modified vbios, some might need more than one volt for 993MHz...

Another issue is that many systems don't seem to be capable of running 993MHz sustained due to the temps. Re-pasting should be self-explanatory for anyone thinking about ocing, but I'm mentioning it again anyway.

More than one person has expressed the unfounded belief that 880M cards are pushed to near their max, which is just silly. Perhaps the max limit for the default voltage, certainly, but not even close to their functional limit.

I think you may be correct about the standard voltage of the modded vBIOS being a bit too low for the default clock speed. It takes more than 1.00V for my 780M cards (all four of them) to run 993MHz for some things. 3DMark11 is one of those "some things" LOL. I find 1.00V is about right for 100% stability with the core at 954-967Mhz for everything. Temps for gamings are also reasonable at those clock speeds. Maybe lowering the clocks or bumping the voltage a tad would help those that are experiencing weirdness.

Having 780M or 880M installed in a system that does not have a excellent cooling system and and superior thermal compounds it going to be problematic. This GPU is not suitable for anything less than a robust cooling system. I'm not convinced that all systems that are being sold with 880M had adequate R&D/engineering effort to pull this off gracefully. If an existing model ran on the warm side with 780M it should be expected to be equal or worse thermal conditions with an 880M refresh.

Another factor that cannot be ignored is power demand. I don't know all of the brand options or their specs that include 880M primarily because I don't care to know them all, but I can only imagine that most of the manufacturers have given *just barely* enough AC adapter for basic functionality. With overclocking involved there may be very few that are adequately supplied with power.

hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice from the more experienced users on here. I have AW17 with 4900qm processor and a gtx780m gpu.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ah, for the 780M, that could be a different story. Might be worth flashing the vBIOS even if you don't overclock, but it depends whether you're seeing throttling at the moment or not. Do some gaming & monitor your GPU core & memory clocks (and temperatures) using a monitoring program, like GPUz. If you're experiencing throttling, then the modified vBIOS could help. If you're getting throttling due to high temperatures though, then you'd need to sort that out, no point flashing the modded vBIOS if it's the fault of your temperatures.

Ah, for the 780M, that could be a different story. Might be worth flashing the vBIOS even if you don't overclock, but it depends whether you're seeing throttling at the moment or not. Do some gaming & monitor your GPU core & memory clocks (and temperatures) using a monitoring program, like GPUz. If you're experiencing throttling, then the modified vBIOS could help. If you're getting throttling due to high temperatures though, then you'd need to sort that out, no point flashing the modded vBIOS if it's the fault of your temperatures.

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply, my temps on the gpu are static under load at 68c. I will have to check my memory clocks I see what they are doing.

I alway check the temps mainly, I'm new to this so learning as I go

Thanks a lot

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply, my temps on the gpu are static under load at 68c. I will have to check my memory clocks I see what they are doing.

I alway check the temps mainly, I'm new to this so learning as I go

Thanks a lot

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With temperatures that low, then I'll be surprised if you're seeing any throttling, unless it's for power reasons: either the power adapter or mainboard being inadequate or limited. Chances are you're fine with the stock vBIOS for your purposes, considering you're not wanting to overclock. If you're not seeing a constant 850Mhz (max boost for 780M) on the core when you're gaming then you can benefit by using the modified vBIOS which runs it by default at 850Mhz.

• Brian featured this topic