NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Not what I was doing a year ago...think a little (good practice) because you know who I'm referring to, quote...well you should read more. Also hints to a nearby Region, now I ruined it...:D

I don't know, it's a mystery to me, and I'm sure to anyone reading this post. Just facts really (or the lack of).

Well, it's not a mystery to me and i actually know the facts and reasons behind why. Although it has nothing to do with that prior post though, sorry.

Not what I was doing a year ago...think a little (good practice) because you know who I'm referring to, quote...well you should read more. Also hints to a nearby Region, now I ruined it...:D

Gees man, all I can do is refer to my previous post! ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's not a mystery to me and i actually know the facts and reasons behind why. Although it has nothing to do with that prior post though, sorry.

Doesn't make it any less nebulous unfortunately.

Is there anything you guys want/need from the community, I would guess not, apart from being patient? Any word on how many days/weeks/months/years(might become irrelevant) the release time frame might be?

It seems that 880M is still in dark waters when it comes to unlocking the vbios. Although I can see some sellers selling it at $800+. When i asked the seller if this mxm board is plug and play on my MSI GT60-ONE, he told me that it is, but I know that this gpu is heavily throttled (due to HEAT issues I guess ). Im thinking if i'll get one by the end of this year or not. If there is a no unlock bios within this year then probably i'll go for the 780M instead.

It seems that 880M is still in dark waters when it comes to unlocking the vbios. Although I can see some sellers selling it at $800+. When i asked the seller if this mxm board is plug and play on my MSI GT60-ONE, he told me that it is, but I know that this gpu is heavily throttled (due to HEAT issues I guess ). Im thinking if i'll get one by the end of this year or not. If there is a no unlock bios within this year then probably i'll go for the 780M instead.

I think you're probably better off going with the 780M if it's cheaper, because you know you've got the unlocked vBIOS from here for that one to make up the performance difference.

For all you users who modded their Dell 2GB GTX 680M card with one of SLV's modded bios, which VBIOS is the best one to put on the Dell 2GB GTX 680M. I see there are several Dell 2GB GTX 680M modded bios to choose from. Kind of lost on which one I should use. I am using an M17X R2 with the A10 modded bios from the wiz by the way.

Hi guys. I am new to the forum and to the overclockers. I have the following rig:

AW m17x r4

3720qm

680m 2gb

12gb ram

256ssd (op system)

750gb 7200rpm hdd

I have installed the InsydeH2O bios and GPU wise i am not sure if the bios is modded as i bought this used, but i can overclock only by +135 mhz. so i guess it is not unlocked.

i tried some modification both to the cpu and gpu: cpu is @ 4.0ghz but the highest clock it gets to is 3793 mhz.

and the gpu is +135 core wise and the memory 2200mhz.

now my problem is that on stock setup (cpu+gpu) i get around 6400 in 3dmark11. After setting up my system mentioned above i get only 6200.. How is it possible. Maybe it has been discussed many times here, but i would need a straight answer as i am a beginner. Please help me out. I am going to provide a link with my last result i did in this morning just to see..

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4

Thanks and sorry for multiple questions..

Hi guys. I am new to the forum and to the overclockers. I have the following rig:

AW m17x r4

3720qm

680m 2gb

12gb ram

256ssd (op system)

750gb 7200rpm hdd

I have installed the InsydeH2O bios and GPU wise i am not sure if the bios is modded as i bought this used, but i can overclock only by +135 mhz. so i guess it is not unlocked.

i tried some modification both to the cpu and gpu: cpu is @ 4.0ghz but the highest clock it gets to is 3793 mhz.

and the gpu is +135 core wise and the memory 2200mhz.

now my problem is that on stock setup (cpu+gpu) i get around 6400 in 3dmark11. After setting up my system mentioned above i get only 6200.. How is it possible. Maybe it has been discussed many times here, but i would need a straight answer as i am a beginner. Please help me out. I am going to provide a link with my last result i did in this morning just to see..

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4

Thanks and sorry for multiple questions..

Try monitoring your CPU & GPU temperatures when you're gaming or running benchmarks, combine this with monitoring the clock frequencies on both your CPU & GPU. Many different ways to do this. I use GPUz for the GPU. For the CPU I use Throttlestop, but if you just want to monitor temperature you could use HWMonitor which is simpler. You might be getting throttling of your CPU or GPU, by doing the previous you'll be able to see if you are getting this problem.

If you're not getting any throttling and your temperatures are good, and you want more performance you could think of flashing a modified vBIOS from here. This thread isn't really a general PC support thread, it's about the modified vBIOS, so I wouldn't really want to go into much more depth on solving your non vBIOS related PC issues in this thread.

Hello there!

So far I've been enjoying the increased stability that the 780m OC edition has provided me. I have the Sager NP9380-S with SLI 780ms and a 120Hz screen. Originally I downloaded the 780m OC edition to fix the screen flickering issue that my model is plagued with. Works great for that reason. However after playing a while, I decided to check and see if the retailer supplied overclock was still in effect, only to find that it wasn't. At that point I decided to set the clocks myself back up to their safe OC levels of 950Mhz Core Clock and 2800 MHz Memory clock (the very same values my laptop originally shipped with from XoticPC). I found out that I cannot increase the core clock beyond 849 MHz. I can increase the sliders in software like NVIDIA inspector and hit apply, but the changes to the core clock never seem to go into effect. I can close inspector and re-open it, only to fidn that all the sliders are back to center as if I hadn't touched them at all. Confirming in game using MSI afterburners OSD shows both 780ms locked at 849MHz. FOr a little perspective, I flashed my stock vBIOS back and checked it witha more detail than I had when I first got the machine. The findings were interesting in that even though there was an overclock for 950MHz, the core clocks never reached above 771MHz with the stock vBIOS, as well as the flickering problem returned. So I'm better off with the modded vBIOS even with the locked in clock I guess. It would be nice to OC it up to what I originally paid for, which was 950MHz though. Does anyone here have any insight as to why I can't push my 780ms past the stock clock of 850Mhz with the modified vBIOS?

Hello there!

So far I've been enjoying the increased stability that the 780m OC edition has provided me. I have the Sager NP9380-S with SLI 780ms and a 120Hz screen. Originally I downloaded the 780m OC edition to fix the screen flickering issue that my model is plagued with. Works great for that reason. However after playing a while, I decided to check and see if the retailer supplied overclock was still in effect, only to find that it wasn't. At that point I decided to set the clocks myself back up to their safe OC levels of 950Mhz Core Clock and 2800 MHz Memory clock (the very same values my laptop originally shipped with from XoticPC). I found out that I cannot increase the core clock beyond 849 MHz. I can increase the sliders in software like NVIDIA inspector and hit apply, but the changes to the core clock never seem to go into effect. I can close inspector and re-open it, only to fidn that all the sliders are back to center as if I hadn't touched them at all. Confirming in game using MSI afterburners OSD shows both 780ms locked at 849MHz. FOr a little perspective, I flashed my stock vBIOS back and checked it witha more detail than I had when I first got the machine. The findings were interesting in that even though there was an overclock for 950MHz, the core clocks never reached above 771MHz with the stock vBIOS, as well as the flickering problem returned. So I'm better off with the modded vBIOS even with the locked in clock I guess. It would be nice to OC it up to what I originally paid for, which was 950MHz though. Does anyone here have any insight as to why I can't push my 780ms past the stock clock of 850Mhz with the modified vBIOS?

Did you run NVidia Inspector as an Administrator? Right click NVidia Inspector icon and select 'Run As Administrator': I have to do this in order for the selected clocks & voltages to stick. Don't know what to suggest beyond that.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys which Dell vbios mod is the most stable and does not throttle a lot? I am using an M17X R2 A10 unlocked bios with a Dell 2GB GTX 680M card.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If I was you I'd try the vBIOS roms that have the lower voltage, and then see how you go. If you want more performance, and temperatures are ok, then select one with a higher voltage.

Did you run NVidia Inspector as an Administrator? Right click NVidia Inspector icon and select 'Run As Administrator': I have to do this in order for the selected clocks & voltages to stick. Don't know what to suggest beyond that.

- - - Updated - - -

If I was you I'd try the vBIOS roms that have the lower voltage, and then see how you go. If you want more performance, and temperatures are ok, then select one with a higher voltage.

What modded vbios you using Robbo?

i flashed to a unlocked vbios for my gtx 680m in my alienware m17x r3 would it be worth it to flash to a higher voltage? and if so would i need a better power adapter im using a overclocked 4.0 ghz 2920xm using the 240w power adapter

also if i wanted to use a higher volatage for my 680m which would be best 1000 , 1025 or will the stock volts work i am looking for a 1000\ 2400 overclock i am on a cooler master cooling pad and i dont travel with it much right now my temps are pretty rock solid at 925\ 2400 and the stock volts how much can i squeeze if i up it to 1000 or 1025 volts

What modded vbios you using Robbo?

I'm using the Clevo 3GB 670MX vBIOS, but that's not relevant to you is it - you've got the 680M?

A huge thank you to Svl7 flashed my Dell 680m's instant improvement :D

What vbios version did you use to give you best results?

Also what is the difference between the first Dell GTX 680M OC Revision Vbios and the last Dell GTX 680M OC Revision on the list? I see there are two besides the OV versions.

also if i wanted to use a higher volatage for my 680m which would be best 1000 , 1025 or will the stock volts work i am looking for a 1000\ 2400 overclock i am on a cooler master cooling pad and i dont travel with it much right now my temps are pretty rock solid at 925\ 2400 and the stock volts how much can i squeeze if i up it to 1000 or 1025 volts

Just flash one of the vBIOS's that has the lowest voltage & see how high your overclock can go, and monitor your temperatures. If you want more performance, and if temperatures are ok, then flash the vBIOS that has a little more voltage & repeat. Start at the lowest, no point using more volts than you need, just creates heat & stress on the GPU.

240W should be ok for your 680M and overclocked XM CPU. It's possible you may find that you might not get such rapid battery charging while you're gaming, but I don't think it will need over 240W for gaming. If you're concerned about it, then you could always buy a watt meter for quite cheap that you simply plug into the electrical socket at the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

What vbios version did you use to give you best results?

Also what is the difference between the first Dell GTX 680M OC Revision Vbios and the last Dell GTX 680M OC Revision on the list? I see there are two besides the OV versions.

Might be best to use the one that has the same vBIOS version number as your existing card. You can find out your vBIOS version number on the first page of the small free monitoring program called GPUz.

thanks robbo i am currently at the stock voltage on a modded vbios i am able to get 950\2500 overclock right now and i never go above 65c would it be worth it to go up on voltage to try and acheive a higher overclock would the performance i could gain be worth the extra stress on my cpu or should i stay where im at ? i want to squeeze as much power\performance as i can but i dont want to over tax my stsem to get a %3-%5 difference

thanks robbo i am currently at the stock voltage on a modded vbios i am able to get 950\2500 overclock right now and i never go above 65c would it be worth it to go up on voltage to try and acheive a higher overclock would the performance i could gain be worth the extra stress on my cpu or should i stay where im at ? i want to squeeze as much power\performance as i can but i dont want to over tax my stsem to get a %3-%5 difference

65 degC is really good for the GPU, so if I was you I'd up the voltage if you want more performance - it's your call though. I reckon with 1.05V (the highest voltage version) that you would get another 100Mhz at least on the GPU, maybe up to an extra 130Mhz, if you got 950Mhz at 0.987V (which I think is the stock voltage is it not?). So, that's like 10 - 15% more performance you could get. Maybe start with 1.025V and see how you go, then if you want more performance after that then try the 1.05V.

• Brian featured this topic