NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Sup dudes, busy days... thanks for sharing your vbios copies, really appreciate it!

800m series mods will come. 880m mod is actually ready for quite a while now, those who followed our benchmarks etc are probably aware of that. It's not like we don't like to share, that would be a ridiculous assumption, especially looking at the 600m and 700m series mods, however we have some reasons to relax a bit and wait... can't ask anyone to understand this, but please... some patience would be nice. Also I have hardly seen any 800m benchmark at stock clocks or overclocked with stock vbios so far... yet so many are screaming for a vbios mod. :) Would be interesting to see what the refreshed cards are capable at stock...

I own a GT60 PE dominator pro with 880m. After heavy cooling mod ( backplane drilling, adding additionnal heatsink, custom laptop cooler) i can say i can old the 880m at full loard 80°C max.

Today i tried overclock all day long, and the result is disapointing. With stockvbios 880m is throtlling to stock clock even when i set +135MHz to clock and +250 to memory. I can do a full 3D mark bench it's stable, but nvdia inspector show that max clock doesnt match the overcocked frequency.

I hope to see your vbios really soon! i am looking forward unlocking the true potential of my card!

post-25715-14494997561468_thumb.png

Yep, let's see some comparisons between stock & overclocked 3DMark11 GPU scores on the 880M. Anyone reading this, go ahead and post up your scores - would be interesting.

That's was I was waiting on....

That picture doe not really explain much.

It does explain alot, in nvidia inspector i set +135MHz/250MHz with +112.5mV.

I end up with around 8150 in 3DMark 2011.

On stock frenquency i got between 7950 and 8050 at 3D Mark 2011.

I am sorry for the poor quality on the screenshot, it was showing that even with overclocking, the new nvidia boost feature make my overclock useless. As when the GPU isn't enough loaded, the card simply clock down.

Not much headroom for overclock!

I am sorry for the poor quality on the screenshot, it was showing that even with overclocking, the new nvidia boost feature make my overclock useless. As when the GPU isn't enough loaded, the card simply clock down.

Thanks for the comparison scores, yes you can tell that the overclock doesn't really do much for the 880M on the stock vBIOS. You said that it throttles when the card's not loaded, which you said caused your low score - actually it's the opposite, your card is getting overloaded & then downclocking in response. But yes, not much point in overclocking the 880M on the stock vBIOS according to your results at least. Anyone else, post up your scores. :-)

Thanks for the comparison scores, yes you can tell that the overclock doesn't really do much for the 880M on the stock vBIOS. You said that it throttles when the card's not loaded, which you said caused your low score - actually it's the opposite, your card is getting overloaded & then downclocking in response. But yes, not much point in overclocking the 880M on the stock vBIOS according to your results at least. Anyone else, post up your scores. :-)

Yes sorry that's what i meant, when the GPU get too much load, he downclock itself :) Even with a good temperature! <80°C in my case.

Update /!\ : I have tried to push voltage even more +125mV, this result in a laptop shutdown on 3D mark11 after 2minutes. I don't think my PSU can handle the power needed. Or maybe there is a vbios limitation to the maximum power drawn by the card?

Well, i am going to wait for a modded vbios for now.

Edit : Added stock 3D mark 11 high res screen shot, poor performance... 8048 with 78°C MSI GT60 PE Dominator Pro.

post-25715-14494997561924_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

@Supplix, how did you manage to increase the voltage if you've not get a modified vBIOS? Did you design one yourself? (I thought all Kepler cards had zero voltage control unless you flashed a modded vBIOS.)

@Supplix, how did you manage to increase the voltage if you've not get a modified vBIOS? Did you design one yourself? (I thought all Kepler cards had zero voltage control unless you flashed a modded vBIOS.)

Wonder why Nvidia did this...anything familiar...?...;)

Wonder why Nvidia did this...anything familiar...?...;)

I'm not following you j95, what do you mean? Are you saying 880M is voltage adjustable even without a modded vBIOS?

Haha, I'm still not following you! Of course I know that forum, we're posting in it! Also, the 880M isn't listed there. I'm just trying to find out how he managed to change the voltage on his 880M if he hasn't flashed a modded vBIOS? Come on, speak in English, or someone else chime in if they know the answer!

Well, I guess you're saying that the 880M is voltage adjustable like that from NVidia, although you are going round the houses! ;-) And are you insinuating that they're copying/stealing svl7's work? Although I'm pretty sure they'd be able to create them themselves seeing as they design the GPUs! BAH, it's all nonsense anyway because even if it is voltage adjustable straight from NVidia for better overclocking then it throttles anyway. Hmmm, why do I get the feeling I'm just having a conversation with myself! This means it's time for me to log off!

I thought all Kepler cards had zero voltage control unless you flashed a modded vBIOS

Nope, starting with the 700m some mobile cards have limited overvolting capabilities. Sometimes it also depends on the OEM. Still, pretty much useless since the voltage drops very quickly in most cases. It's not like Nvidia leaves any headroom for more than about 100MHz, at max. Usually at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, no it doesn't, but then that is just my assessment on it.

This would be explaining allot.

My Nvidia GTX 880M Test Run Review

Hey I don't understand why when I click on "Dell 765m - 80.06.64.00.01 'OC edition' (AW 14).zip" located on the first page of this fourm, it says "electrodarts, you do not have permission to access this page..." This is the file I need to unlock my voltage on my video card right? I have the new AlienWare 14, the one that just came out august of 2013. I am trying to overclock this laptop by using MSI Afterburner and the (core voltage, power limit, and fan speed) are all locked in place. I have been looking how to fix this for 14+ hours. I tried useing kgb and nvflash to unlock it but kgb didnt want to modify the GK106.rom file. I am new to this so if you could help me in the best descriptive way possible that would be great.

Thank you,

Electrodarts

Actually, no it doesn't, but then that is just my assessment on it.

This would be explaining allot.

My Nvidia GTX 880M Test Run Review

Hi johnksss,

Can I translate that review of yours into Korean and post it in Alienware Forum of Korean site?

I haven't done it yet but this would be of much help to those of Alienware-lovers in Korea.

I will mention the source and link of your original article. Dont want to steal anything.

If you say yes, I will start traslating it.

Hi johnksss,

Can I translate that review of yours into Korean and post it in Alienware Forum of Korean site?

I haven't done it yet but this would be of much help to those of Alienware-lovers in Korea.

I will mention the source and link of your original article. Dont want to steal anything.

If you say yes, I will start translating it.

Thank you!

You sir, have my permission.

I only ask one thing. That you post it in it's entirety, please.

• Brian featured this topic