NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

posted this on the bios request thread but maybe this is a better place...

i bit the bullet and flashed a k4000m hp card (8770w) with the dell oc bios modded by svl7 (since the 8770w works with dell cards anyway).

The flash seems to have proceeded as expected (i was asked to override the original card's id and said yes), but the max oc is still fixed at 135mhz. I un- and reinstalled numerous driver versions (full un-install followed by dduinstaller for good measure) after reading on this thread that this solved the problem with a k3000m (but then that was a svl7-modded hp bios, not a dell one).

Is there a lock of some sort on/in the hp bios?

Can somebody please look at the original hp k4000m bios (attached, as saved by nvflash) to determine whether it is at least moddable?

up?

HP_K4000M.zip

tempted to flash the 780m on my alienware 17 though i am not sure how safe it is...and probably shouldn't if i am not comfortable but let me know anyways.

It just voids your warranty if your card fails and Dell find out that you flashed a modded vBIOS, which they might do if it dies and you can't flash it back to stock. The other danger is if you tweak the voltage up, that puts more stress on the GPU which might shorten it's life. If you only increase it a little, similar to the voltage of the 880M then you should be fine I would have thought. You could google notebookcheck reviews of the 880M to work out what the max voltage of the 880M is.

It just voids your warranty if your card fails and Dell find out that you flashed a modded vBIOS, which they might do if it dies and you can't flash it back to stock. The other danger is if you tweak the voltage up, that puts more stress on the GPU which might shorten it's life. If you only increase it a little, similar to the voltage of the 880M then you should be fine I would have thought. You could google notebookcheck reviews of the 880M to work out what the max voltage of the 880M is.

can't find anything on what the stock 880M voltage is.

Hi svl7, thank you for sharing the vbios. Just a few questions:

First, what is the voltage for 675mx after using the modified vbios? Or will it increasing dynamically as I'm adjusting the overclock to a higher value?

Second, currently, I noticed that overclocking the 675mx at 797MHz, 2198MHz is not stable anymore after I locked it for 4 months. The clock speed jumps up and down from 797 MHz to 199MHz, and the laptop adaptor is making "ticking" sound at a high rate (about 4 ticks per second). I updated the laptop with the unofficial EC control from MSI website, but it doesn't help. I'm wondering if the adaptor is faulty? I opened a discussion below, but nobody replied anything.

http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/6592-msi-gt70-one-laptop-675mx-clock-speed-not-stable-when-overclocking.html

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Hwy svl9, I love your work. I want to do this for my Alienware 17 in which has a 770m.

However, I looked at the bios version on nvidia inspector and it does not match any of the bios versions in the file names of the downloads.

Bios Version: 80.06.60.00.01

I'd be willing to upload a dump if desired

Ok, seeing as I'm still very very new to this stuff, doesn't flashing this many vbios have a bad effect? Isn't it a risky thing to do? I mean, I'm totally up for doing it once or twice, but doing it tens of times just for testing, won't that hurt your system? Please forgive my extreme lack of knowledge in this field, I just found out about this stuff :P

can't find anything on what the stock 880M voltage is.

1.018V. Heaven benchmark screenshot at this link:

Review Clevo P177SM-A (Schenker XMG P704) Barebones Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

- - - Updated - - -

Hwy svl9, I love your work. I want to do this for my Alienware 17 in which has a 770m.

However, I looked at the bios version on nvidia inspector and it does not match any of the bios versions in the file names of the downloads.

Bios Version: 80.06.60.00.01

I'd be willing to upload a dump if desired

Yes, for some reason that file is not located in this thread, but I remembered I'd found it for someone else before. Here it is, post #81 in this thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-9.html#post74364

@svl7, would it be worthwhile moving that vBIOS file you created to page one of this thread so people can find it easier?

• Bios Modder
Thanks for the effort, Klem. Unfortunately, it does not work. The BIOS flashes OK, new ID and everything, but only P8 and P5 can be unlocked. P0 remains limited at +135.

New ID? Why new ID? It is your native HP file of vbios.

OC +50mhz the temp around 79~81 with turbofan.

Poor oc right now 

So....How is that Svet 880M vbios working out for you? I see he gave you one. Anything new to report about it?

So....How is that Svet 880M vbios working out for you? I see he gave you one. Anything new to report about it?

post-6915-14494997506214_thumb.png

Hello johnksss,

With Svet's moded vbios at all default it got throttle.

post-6915-14494997507173_thumb.png

When I increase a little bit voltage to 1.000mv,

it got throttle more seriously.

Even with the CPU default clock without OC,

OV GPU(default clock) still got the same situation.

I duno why?

So,what's the difference of vbios with this review [Review] Nvidia GTX 880m

New ID? Why new ID? It is your native HP file of vbios.

Oh, sorry, because I had tried svl7's modded Dell K4000M bios before. Same problem, same 135 limit. Now, indeed, I reverted to the ID of the original HP bios. Still no go, however...

• Bios Modder
Oh, sorry, because I had tried svl7's modded Dell K4000M bios before. Same problem, same 135 limit. Now, indeed, I reverted to the ID of the original HP bios. Still no go, however...

Try this.

HP_K4000M.zip

• Bios Modder
Sorry, it seems I have no luck. Flashed. Same story.

May be you need now reinstall Quadro drivers(with clean install).

Can you put here screenshot of window Nvflash after flashing procedure?

• Thumbs Up 1

Most HPs have an additional vBIOS in sBIOS witch are used instead...mod those and it'll work. ;)

The only part used from the standalone vBIOS is the proprietary header.

Also don't use those integrated vBIOS directly on an mxm card, they brick.

• Bios Modder
Most HPs have an additional vBIOS in sBIOS witch are used instead...mod those and it'll work. ;)

The only part used from the standalone vBIOS is the propriety header.

Hi Prema! You are right. I completely forgot about it.

May be you need now reinstall Quadro drivers(with clean install).

Can you put here screenshot of window Nvflash after flashing procedure?

I always installed the drivers afresh (with DDUinstaller) after the flash procedure. And the flash proceeds in the right fashion. As I said, when flashing the Dell bios the card's ID changed and now it is back to its former self.

The only part used from the standalone vBIOS is the propriety header.

Aha...awful...!

Thanks anyway, Klem, for the effort

• Bios Modder
I always installed the drivers afresh (with DDUinstaller) after the flash procedure. And the flash proceeds in the right fashion. As I said, when flashing the Dell bios the card's ID changed and now it is back to its former self.

Aha...awful...!

Thanks anyway, Klem, for the effort

If you want, you can create backup of your system main bios and send it me. I will make mod for you.

hello i am new here and newbie too

i wanna ask some question regarding OC

i am currently using M17Xr4 with GTX660M

from the first thread, i cannot find the the attachment for vbios dell 660m

secondly if i flash using vbios, will there be a problem with driver update from nvidia?

• Brian featured this topic