NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hi...

I'd like to flash the OC gtx780m bios to my new Medion Erazer with gtx780m. Did not have much time to play with it but what I already came to like is that the latest nv drivers installed without having to use a modded inf file.

However... Nvflash it is warning me that the PC Subystem does not match (my is 1462.10ea versus 1028.05AA of the image). In addition - the size is quite different (mine is only about 93kb after saving to file - the oc version is 169kb).

I know that it is always a risk to flash but could you please give me a short hint if:

- I should risk to flash regardless of the differences (subsystem and size) ?

- I will still be able to install the latest NV drivers without needing to use a modded inf if I do

If not - would you be interested in getting the bios to take a look at it ?

Help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

BigKid

Hey big kid It asked me the same thing on my flash. But my original bios was the same size as the one Svl7 created so don't know whats up there.

Also can anyone confirm if it's normal for msi afterburner to see my GPU fluctuating from 849mhz to 135mhz every second on idle. I get a squiggly line graph. and then it levels out after a while. It does the same thing with Nvidia inspector . THanks

Hi,

I'm currently running the old vbios for my gtx 780m where you have to change the string in the inf folder. Like the example below, I was wondering with the new 780m overclock edition vbios do I still have to mod the inf spring to be able to install the driver? Also what does overclock edition different from the old one? Does it come already overclock? Thank!
[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0] %NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.048F.1028% = Section187, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_048F1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.119F.05AA.1462% = Section189, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_119F&SUBSYS_05AA1462

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.057B.1028% = Section191, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_057B1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0580.1028% = Section192, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_05801028
[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2] %NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.048F.1028% = Section187, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_048F1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.119F.05AA.1462% = Section189, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_119F&SUBSYS_05AA1462

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.057B.1028% = Section191, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_057B1028

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0580.1028% = Section192, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_05801028
[Strings] NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.048F.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M" NVIDIA_DEV.119F.05AA.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M" NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.057B.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M " NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0580.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M "

Hi...

I know that it is always a risk to flash but could you please give me a short hint if:

- I should risk to flash regardless of the differences (subsystem and size) ?

- I will still be able to install the latest NV drivers without needing to use a modded inf if I do

If not - would you be interested in getting the bios to take a look at it ?

Subsystem ID will never match, even if you flash your original vbios. That's something special about mobile systems, it has its reasons but it's still annoying and confusing.

The size doesn't matter in this case. What's your original vbios version?

You won't have to use a modified .inf if your system can officially be configured with a 780m.

Also can anyone confirm if it's normal for msi afterburner to see my GPU fluctuating from 849mhz to 135mhz every second on idle. I get a squiggly line graph. and then it levels out after a while. It does the same thing with Nvidia inspector .

That's odd. Do you have a second monitor attached?

Hi' date='

I was wondering with the new 780m overclock edition vbios do I still have to mod the inf spring to be able to install the driver? Also what does overclock edition different from the old one? Does it come already overclock? Thank!

[/quote']

If your notebook model doesn't officially support the 780m, then yes, you'll need a modified .inf. Overclock edition is just a fancy name :P It means it overclocks a lot better than the stock vbios. A lot. :D

Merry Christmas to all!

I have read many pages of this thread to find a version of the vbios of my GPU (Dell 2xGTX680M SLI) with over voltage, UEFI support (Windows 8 Secure Boot & Fast Boot) but can not find the version.

I am currently using the only version compatible with UEFI, but as I said before has no over voltage on.

Do you know if there is that version?

Thank you in advance!

Hi

I'd just like to share my experiences with this.

First: A big thank you to slv7 for his engagement !

I tried the GTX780M OC edition with my Medion Erazer X7827 (msi barebone based).

Unfortunately it did not work out very well. After flashing slv7 oc edition.I was not able to install the drivers again. It did either not start to install or it failed using the modded inf from laptopvideo2go.

My girlfriend was already preparing for a very grumpy me during christmas eve.

I'm not sure if I did anything wrong while using the slv7 bios but once I had the old bios back on the card the driver with the modded inf did install perfectly well without any tricks (like win8 alowing unsigned drivers etc).

But getting the bios back was the trickiest part because my machine didn't boot into dos any more. However the LATEST version of the nvflash for windows finally did the trick and now everything is fine again - with the exception of me beeing unable to overclock :(

I'd like to share this just in case someone else is running into similar issues. I also attached the bios (extracted with nvflash) - maybe one of the magicians here is able to see what is "different"... Furthermore I've added a post in slv7's mod bios request thread...

Regards and merry christmas

BigKid

GTX780M_org.zip

EDIT: Short update/clarification: I'd like to add that I tried using several official notebook driver revisions from nvidia with respective modded inf files from laptopvideo2go. No luck with the OC bios... All fine with org bios...

post-20720-14494996776576_thumb.jpg

Hey guys is this normal? The big dip is when I opened up google chrome, and then closed it and it kept doing it :/ It's really weird, everything fluctuates at the same time.

As the the issue with the heat. (Reaching 93 degrees on 99% load) It seems there were a few problems with clevo laptops at the June-November range, Think they have faulty heatsinks, as me and quite a few others have repasted several times, and find that the heat coming out the back is fairly cool at 90 degrees (Bad thermal conductivity, maybe a broken pipe) My other laptop at 60 degrees blows out hotter air :/

[ATTACH]10064[/ATTACH]

Hey guys is this normal? The big dip is when I opened up google chrome' date=' and then closed it and it kept doing it :/ It's really weird, everything fluctuates at the same time.

As the the issue with the heat. (Reaching 93 degrees on 99% load) It seems there were a few problems with clevo laptops at the June-November range, Think they have faulty heatsinks, as me and quite a few others have repasted several times, and find that the heat coming out the back is fairly cool at 90 degrees (Bad thermal conductivity, maybe a broken pipe) My other laptop at 60 degrees blows out hotter air :/[/quote']

You might be right about your temperature & heatsink woes! That's for you to take up with the manufacturer if you think your machine is operating below spec.

As to your clock fluctuations, I'm not sure it's important really?! What does it affect? Doesn't seem to have any ultimate consequence if I look at it superficially?

Does anyone having problem with overclocking the core with the new NVidia driver? I'm able to over the core clock and gpuz show indicated that the clock is change but when I play game the clock only show 849mhz. Using my stock driver from MSI 311.7, the clock actually indicate right. I'm currently using a MSI GT-60 with 780m.

Somehow, my GPU usage drops occasionally in multiplayer games to about 40% about every 10 seconds. This only occur in multiplayer though, as all singleplayer games have worked so far :D I have tested with battlefield 3+4, Bad Company 2, and Crysis 2+3, where the overclocked setting ran just fine in single player, but stutter a lot in multiplayer. Temps are still fine at only about 80C during load. Shouldn't be the voltage right? If it is, any chance that I can increase the core voltage any further?

Thanks a lot :D

PS. I'm using MSI GT70 0ND (the one with 675mx and 3630QM)

So I just got myself a power meter to check if my PSU is enough for the OC. Seems like the problem's not the PSU nor the temperature : ( Both CPU and GPU temps are around 80C, which to me is perfectly acceptable. Under load, the system draws about 150-160 watts from the wall. The highest is only around 170, which happens very rarely. I also noticed that when it's stuttering (GPU usage drops), the power draw is reduced to about 110-120 : ( . Maybe it's the voltage after all?

So I just got myself a power meter to check if my PSU is enough for the OC. Seems like the problem's not the PSU nor the temperature : ( Both CPU and GPU temps are around 80C, which to me is perfectly acceptable. Under load, the system draws about 150-160 watts from the wall. The highest is only around 170, which happens very rarely. I also noticed that when it's stuttering (GPU usage drops), the power draw is reduced to about 110-120 : ( . Maybe it's the voltage after all?

Hi, I remember your previous post about this problem. I don't think it's a voltage issue though. I'm not sure what's causing the downclocking of your GPU. It's happened to mine in some very unoptimised parts of games, e.g. the PhysX heavy section of the Scarecrow sequence in Batman Arkham Asylum. Maybe it's a 'bug' with the games you're playing. I can't think of anything else to suggest to you, apart from finding out if owners of your laptop are also seeing similar problems.

Haha. Thanks, Robbo :D I can't think of anything that might be causing this either :( kinda sad, cuz my card runs just fine at 1.05 Ghz in benchmarks and singleplayer games(except crysis 3, which is the only game with stuttering in SP), but only around 830 mhz in multiplayer :( Anyway, I do have a second screen connected to my notebook sometimes, but not when I'm gaming.

Thanks for replying Robbo, turns out im stupid and those readings were from my MSI pinging my GPU. So probably normal.

As to the temperatures, I got readings of the air temperature with my thermocouple on both the CPU fan and GPU fan. What I found was at 90 sensor temperature on both the CPU and GPU (Using burn in tests), the air temperature on both were within the 40-50 degrees Celsius. Seems strange that there are almost identically cooling. Obviously for me CPU temp isn't an issue as in games it barely goes over 60. But the GPU temp is my worry .

If it is the heatsink problem then I guess both must be faulty in that case, am I right?

Clevo make both I assume, and would explain if they sent out a bad batch as people in my situation have fixed it with a new heatsink, and as it doesn't propose an immediate danger they could have passed testing.

Also I have been playing at 93 degrees for less that a week on my 780m GTX, is it dangerous in that time for that temp of is it just prolonged temps.

Thanks guys.

I hope I can get this sorted so I can do some reviews on this system.

@Jake'N'vidia: I think you should just keep it simple if you can, 93 degC seems too high for the GPU seeing that you've repasted & blown out any dust. Looks like it's some kind of heatsink problem with the heatsink itself or the mounting system. If I was you I'd see if you can get it replaced on warranty.

(P.S. This thread is about modified VBIOS, so I think if you want to talk about it some more, then you could start a new thread).

Yes sorry Robbo I went a bit over detailed and off topic. Thanks for the help though' date=' When my new heatsink arrives I will let you guys know on a new thread if your interested.[/quote']

Yep, no problem, you're welcome. Sure, start a new thread if you like when it arrives.

• Brian featured this topic