NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up for me :) Regarding the overclocking software, I noticed NV inspector has more features such as power modes (P0,P1,P2 etc) and Power and temperature target.

Where as MSI has just Core, Memory Voltage and I think shader aswell ( I Don't see shader on NV Inspector)

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could take a look at my vBios as I'm having issues and wondering if it's the 1w bug? This comes from a dual 780m GTX in SLI configuration from a clevo/sager laptop new in June 2013.

GK104.zip

Let me know if there is anything else needed, I'm not sure what's going on just yet and hoping to get to the bottom of it.

-Cold

good afternoons from spain,

bought a clevo p170em with gtx 680m last year and i think its time to push it a little bit. is there someone that has already flashed the vbios, and in that case was it with 1,1.025 ot 1.050 vbios.

Thank u. Hope to post with minimun quality.

What's the safest way to revert back the changes in vbios? in case i see high temp values or something like that?

is flashing stock bios ontop on this safe?

Yep, as far as I know, it would just end up replacing your previous VBIOS.

How high can i overvolt the gtx770m in my Msi??:ops:

As high as you like, until it melts! No, but in all seriousness, I think 1.05V is the upper limit that svl7 has been setting his VBIOS to - at least for all the ones I've looked at.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm talking about the 770m. 670mx is a bit different. If you need more voltage I can up it a bit.

Thanks for the offer, I've grown in confidence in using the 1.05V as an everyday overclock for very demanding games, and it doesn't go above 67 degC, so I reckon it's got some more potential in there. I don't really need more than I have at the moment. I'm not using over 100W either on the GPU, so that's OK too. If performance starts to become a problem, then I'll come back to you to see if you can free up the voltage some more, I reckon I could get another 100Mhz out of it with enough volts, but OK for now. Thanks.

Quick question' date=' On my laptop after shutting down a game, my fans for my 780m gtx instantly stop. Is this normal? When I open nvinspector they start again, same with gpu-z[/quote']

Depends what the temperatures are like. On mine the fans go from full speed audible to inaudible within one second of quitting a game, because the GPU temperature drops almost instantly after the load is taken off the GPU. If yours is stopping the fans for the same reason, then you're fine. The fans might come on when you open GPUz or other similar programs, because GPUz shifts the GPU into its P0 state (highest frequency gaming state) for an instant to read the clocks. This, in turn, raises the temperature, and then the fans may come on. (Although I am a little surprised they would come on for such a small load, unless maybe the GPU isn't pasted & mounted properly to the heatsink.)

If I was you, I'd just check my temperatures to make sure that the GPU wasn't getting too hot. Under 90 degC is OK, under 80 degC is good, and under 70 degC is excellent in my books. If it's getting too hot use a can of compressed air to blow any dust from the heatsinks, use the laptop on a flat surface so that you're not blocking the fan vents, and/or repaste & remount the GPU if necessary.

Depends what the temperatures are like. On mine the fans go from full speed audible to inaudible within one second of quitting a game, because the GPU temperature drops almost instantly after the load is taken off the GPU. If yours is stopping the fans for the same reason, then you're fine. The fans might come on when you open GPUz or other similar programs, because GPUz shifts the GPU into its P0 state (highest frequency gaming state) for an instant to read the clocks. This, in turn, raises the temperature, and then the fans may come on. (Although I am a little surprised they would come on for such a small load, unless maybe the GPU isn't pasted & mounted properly to the heatsink.)

If I was you, I'd just check my temperatures to make sure that the GPU wasn't getting too hot. Under 90 degC is OK, under 80 degC is good, and under 60 degC is excellent in my books. If it's getting too hot use a can of compressed air to blow any dust from the heatsinks, use the laptop on a flat surface so that you're not blocking the fan vents, and/or repaste & remount the GPU if necessary.

Thanks man :) That clears it up. I think my GPU may be faulty, I flashed with Svl7's bios, it made no difference my gpu is at 90 degrees after 5 mins of far cry 3. I tried repasting but that didn't help, is that normal? I have no overclocking room now.

Thanks man :) That clears it up. I think my GPU may be faulty' date=' I flashed with Svl7's bios, it made no difference my gpu is at 90 degrees after 5 mins of far cry 3. I tried repasting but that didn't help, is that normal? I have no overclocking room now.[/quote']

Far Cry 3 is very demanding and gets GPUs hotter than almost anything. It still shouldn't be hitting 90C at stock though. Have you done anything to increase the heatsink die pressure?

Hey Thanks for they reply, I did tighten them up good and ended up breaking one which was a pain to get out. But I replaced the screw so that's good. I used arctic silver 5 and used a small x and put the heatsink pressure on it. I heard some people saying that the heatsink could be faulty

Hey Thanks for they reply' date=' I did tighten them up good and ended up breaking one which was a pain to get out. But I replaced the screw so that's good. I used arctic silver 5 and used a small x and put the heatsink pressure on it. I heard some people saying that the heatsink could be faulty[/quote']

Like I mentioned before, for temperature issues all you can do is make sure:

1) Pasted / padded / mounted properly.

2) Clearing out dust from heatsinks & fans.

3) Using on a flat surface to allow airflow to air intakes of fans. (You could try raising the back of the laptop on bottlecaps or laptop cooler).

If you've still got high temperatures that are unacceptable after doing all of that then there may indeed be an inherent fault with your heatsink or mounting brackets, which might be rectified by getting a replacement on your warranty.

EDIT: laptop cooler 5 degC max lowering of temperature - if you're lucky.

• Brian featured this topic