NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

I am new to the forum but I have been running the dell oc edition vbios on my 680m and m17xr4 for several months with good results at 960/2105. Would it be worth trying the overvolt version or would the gains be too small to matter?

Thanks

Well, I've got a different GPU, but with a 50mv overvolt (+0.05V) I get another 100Mhz on the core, so I would think yours would show similar gains.

Hey guys,

I am running a Clevo P170EM (i7 3630qm, GTX 680m) with everything stock at the moment, and I am looking at what I can do to get a little more power out of my system.

I have a couple of questions though. Can the latest graphics drivers be safely used? I am running the 327.23 drivers at the moment.

Also when overclocking, which temperatures should I watch not to go over? It currently runs at about 70-75 celsius during heavy load.

Oh, and I assume warranty is void once you start having fun with this eh?

Thanks in advance. :)

What is the default core voltage of the dell 680m? My temps stay around 75 to 78 as is right now. At what temp should I begin to be concerned with burning chip? Sorry for all the questions. I was out for a few years on the tweaking and not sure what has changed over that time.

And I am thinking correct that voltage only effects core and nothing to do with memory on the 680m?

Yes, that's right.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the default core voltage of the dell 680m? My temps stay around 75 to 78 as is right now. At what temp should I begin to be concerned with burning chip? Sorry for all the questions. I was out for a few years on the tweaking and not sure what has changed over that time.

I wouldn't want to see a temperature too far over 80 degC, and definitely below 90 degC. If I was overvolting then I would want the temperature below 80, and not far above 70 degC, due the increased risk of silicon degradation when overvolting over 70 degC. With the Kepler cards (desktop), then the default behaviour is for the boost and voltage to be reduced above 70 degC. If you overvolt your card & run it at high temperatures, then your card won't instantly fry & fail, but over time it could degrade & then fail.

Default voltage for 680M appears to be 0.987V = 757Mhz.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am new to the forum but I have been running the dell oc edition vbios on my 680m and m17xr4 for several months with good results at 960/2105. Would it be worth trying the overvolt version or would the gains be too small to matter?

Sure, if you don't care about higher temps. Repasting first would be advisable though.

Are there any problems when I want go back from modded vbios gtx780m to the standard bios?

Nope.

Hello SLV7 for an alienware M15x user do you recommend the 5B version or the stock version. Also are these stock clocks? And will it throttle on the delta PSU 210W that people on NBR were talking about. Thanks man!

The 33.00.32 will do fine. All stock clocks.

That PSU story is non-sense. I had zero issues with the 680m and a 240W PSU at all. Everyone that says a 210W PSU is working better than the 240W has either a defective 240W unit or it's simply placebo.

I don´t know why, but, my 680m´s core clock is always at max (758Mhz) since yesterday. Only when all its closed, decrease at 575mhz. About temps: 55ºc at "idle" and 75-80º under heavy load ( i.e: .two hours playing games ), so, i think it would be some software issue?, or maybe its something usual with the OC vbios?

I would swear yesterday reached the 3xx mhz or even 1xx mhz at idle and 35-40º :/? . I installed the card 3 days ago, and saving that, all runs flawless :)

PS: Almost forgot something... i have a M15x

Might be stealth mode messing up things?

Hi I also have a valkyrie cz 17 but with the 675mx. Will flashing these bios allow the fan speeds to be controlled. New to oc gpu and very interested in getting more out of what I have.

No, the fan speed is controlled by the EC of your notebook.

Couldn't resist and tried with nvflash (Windows Version) and it works well!

Just ran 3DMark 11 with GPU 1000 Mhz and RAM 2400 Mhz and got an Overall score of 6094! I have GT60 with 4GB GTX 675MX..

wow this is amazing, and flashing in windows went so well ? How about the temps ? I have the Same gpu

I've been doing some extended long term testing in benchmarks & games with different overvolts & overclocks to work out a range of long term stable overvolt/overclock settings, and I thought you guys would be interested in the results because it might help you work out your own stable settings.

First thing I noticed is that passing through a 3DMark11 benchmark run sucessfully was not a measure of long term stability. In fact long term stability was usually gained by dialing back core clock by one notch (13Mhz) after achieving a successful 3DMark11 run. Second thing, there seems to be a direct linear relationship between volts & stable overclock frequency; if you take a look at the attached picture you will see that the graph is linear, so that could be useful for you to use to help dial in your own further overvolts/overclocks.

Hope anyone that reads this will find this useful or interesting!

EDIT: I was kind of flabbergasted at how linear & exact this relationship was!

post-14345-14494996158804_thumb.jpg

• Bios Modder
I've been doing some extended long term testing in benchmarks & games with different overvolts & overclocks to work out a range of long term stable overvolt/overclock settings, and I thought you guys would be interested in the results because it might help you work out your own stable settings.

First thing I noticed is that passing through a 3DMark11 benchmark run sucessfully was not a measure of long term stability. In fact long term stability was usually gained by dialing back core clock by one notch (13Mhz) after achieving a successful 3DMark11 run. Second thing, there seems to be a direct linear relationship between volts & stable overclock frequency; if you take a look at the attached picture you will see that the graph is linear, so that could be useful for you to use to help dial in your own further overvolts/overclocks.

Hope anyone that reads this will find this useful or interesting!

EDIT: I was kind of flabbergasted at how linear & exact this relationship was!

Great job man! Thank`s!

But this is only for your video card. The fact is that any overclock is a lottery. How lucky enough. Much depends on the ASIC cards, and some other factors. I seen some laptops with GTX670MX and 1,1V did not take more than 1070Mhz.

Hi,

I flashed the MSI GTX 675MX BIOS (4GB Version), works well but now I want my custom clockrates in the BIOS.. Tried "Kepler BIOS Tweaker 1.25" but it crashes when loading your BIOS.. Maybe cause of Windows 8.1?

My custom Clocks are 1050 Mhz GPU and 2400 Mhz RAM..

Thanks in advance

Stefan

Great job man! Thank`s!

But this is only for your video card. The fact is that any overclock is a lottery. How lucky enough. Much depends on the ASIC cards, and some other factors. I seen some laptops with GTX670MX and 1,1V did not take more than 1070Mhz.

Great job man! Thank`s!

my 675mx starts to throttle when i was at 1063 ... i hope 1030 will be okay ... but loving this vbios mod .. its awesome, free fps ^^ .. asic is 81% .. thats okay :)

• Bios Modder
Hi guys

Is it possible to make a vbios mod incl. unlocked voltage ect for MSI GTX 770M? I have Bios Version 80.06.54.00.11 (P2303-1e00).

Can you place here your videobios?

Yeah of course.

That's interesting, the GTX 770M is GK106, which is the same chip as desktop GTX 660; however, the 670MX is GK104, even though it has the same number of stream processors and same memory layout. I had always thought my GTX 670MX was based on the GTX 660 due to the same stream processors & memory layout, so I had been expecting my GPU to be GK106 too, (just like the GTX 660). GK104 is the bigger chip that is based on the GTX 680 desktop.

So, in conclusion, the GTX 770M is GK106 based on the smaller GTX 660 chip, and GTX 670MX is based on the larger GTX 680 chip. I find that weird! I wonder if this difference will show a difference between maximum overclock possible between GTX 770M and GTX 670MX. It's weird they're not from the same chip!

Perhaps, if the 670MX is a bigger chip than the 770M, then the 670MX might overclock better due to a larger surface area in contact with the heatsink, thereby dissipating the same Watts over a greater surface area with larger heat sink contact, perhaps resulting in lower temperatures on the 670MX. Who knows!

EDIT: Just looked up the difference in die sizes: GK106 = 221mm², GK104 = 294mm². So, GK104 has a 33% larger surface area over which to dissipate heat to the heatsink, yes that might make a difference in GPU temperatures. (Didn't mean to put all that last stuff in Bold, I copied & pasted it, and now I can't seem to change the formatting!)

Hi,

I flashed my alienware 18 gtx 780m sli with the modded rom. But for some reason I cannot change the core clock above +135Mhz. When I see what BIOS version in GPUZ its the 80.04.B3.00.10.

But if i look in MSI afterburner it says they are still stock at 80.04.AF.00.03?

Also I used these commands nvflash -i0 -6 name.rom

nvflash -i1 -6 name.rom

I continued with y. It says it has finished, when I restart and check on NVINPECTOR its still the same bios 80.04.AF.00.03

i am running NVIDIA DRIVERS 331.40

the Revision is A02

but actual computer BIOS (not vBIOS) is A03.

HOPE SOMEONE WOULD HELP...

thanks in advance

Hi,

I flashed my alienware 18 gtx 780m sli with the modded rom. But for some reason I cannot change the core clock above +135Mhz. When I see what BIOS version in GPUZ its the 80.04.B3.00.10 but it dosent say modded.

But if i look in MSI afterburner it says they are still stock at 80.04.AF.00.03?

Also I used these commands nvflash -i0 -6 name.rom

nvflash -i1 -6 name.rom

and for both it says there is a mismatch in image type AA and AB.

I continued with y, and still nothing.

i am running NVIDIA DRIVERS 331.40

Also A03 BIOS

HOPE SOMEONE WOULD HELP...

thanks in advance

• Brian featured this topic