NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Flashed the unlocked bios to a Dell GTX 780m. Works great. Heaven extreme runs stable even at 1006/3000Mhz basically GTX 680 clocks. Definitely a keeper. No issues with the 3D version of the M17x R4 apart from lost 3D. 120Hz still present.

What is the voltage at? I have mine at 1020/3000 but I had to give it some more power. If you have that at stock voltage then you sir have a nice card!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I do need extra voltage for heavy benching. On stock volts things ran for a while before a driver crash. I think it would be fine for gaming. I've added one stop of voltage just to be on the stable side. The card runs cool anyways always below 75C with my testing.

Does anyone else have an issue with clock speeds and readings? When I clock it to 915, it reads 906, to get 1006 I need 1010. It's not an issue or anything. Just curious.

Ah yes, GPU score as I had expected for those clocks! That's a good score! How do your temperatures look, stock voltage?

- - - Updated - - -

I do need extra voltage for heavy benching. On stock volts things ran for a while before a driver crash. I think it would be fine for gaming. I've added one stop of voltage just to be on the stable side. The card runs cool anyways always below 75C with my testing.

Does anyone else have an issue with clock speeds and readings? When I clock it to 915, it reads 906, to get 1006 I need 1010. It's not an issue or anything. Just curious.

Nice temperatures!

Regarding your clock speed reading differently to what you set, I've always seen this behaviour going all the way back to when I had my 8600M GT. It seems that GPU's can only go up in certain 'steps' of Mhz. In my experience it sets itself to the next lowest 'step' if you don't set the Mhz to the value of any given 'step'. (I'm surprised you've not noticed that before, you seem to have loads of experience with PC's - maybe I misunderstood what you were asking). I use GPUz sensor readings to see the actual Mhz it's set at.

Regarding your clock speed reading differently to what you set, I've always seen this behaviour going all the way back to when I had my 8600M GT. It seems that GPU's can only go up in certain 'steps' of Mhz. In my experience it sets itself to the next lowest 'step' if you don't set the Mhz to the value of any given 'step'. (I'm surprised you've not noticed that before, you seem to have loads of experience with PC's - maybe I misunderstood what you were asking). I use GPUz sensor readings to see the actual Mhz it's set at.

Yeah I've noticed the intervals thing but I've never seem a gap that large. Oh well. Not really an issue. In fact it makes finding the right overclocking point easier.

Has anyone managed to hit 100% power target yet? I have my slider maxed out at 146% I know I won't hit it because I have the temp slider at 80C but even at 680 speeds I'm only getting around 80%. I'll of course endeavour to climb the clocks but just wondering.

overclock that CPU more! It should be able to do 4.2-4.4 without raising the voltage at all, so it doesn't use much more power.

P9201 1006/6000 win7 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2960XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3

P9175 1006/6000 win8.1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2960XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3

Win8.1 improved performance, 240W PSU limiting factor higher Physics Scores w/ 680M, finished modding cpu htsnk so 4.3GHz 85-90C is stable now, next 330W PSU mod.

No sound thanks to IDT'sh + so MOBO upgrade (R4) first.

Clevo card.

+157 = 1006MHz (1007)

+500 = 5997MHz

+12.5mV = 1.012V

Max temp 68C

Heatsink mod? Let us see some pics :)

Removed c-clips/black isolating tape, sanded both metal parts reducing it as much as possible, used an even steel plate with rice paper and ink to look for imperfections. Finished using thin sanding paper, polished it.

Reduced temps 8-9C, the best solution would be singled piped htsnk without any plate in between, pipe die contact. I'll wait and see Dell making the same 'mistake' all over again (M18x cpu/GTX 580M htsnk) with the new m17 and extreme processors option, many threads "M17 CPU throttle" "CPU overheating" then a couple of months later a 3 piped redesigned htsnk will become available(R3/R4 perfect fit), any publicity is good publicity.

Removed c-clips/black isolating tape, sanded both metal parts reducing it as much as possible, used an even steel plate with rice paper and ink to look for imperfections. Finished using thin sanding paper, polished it.

Reduced temps 8-9C, the best solution would be singled piped htsnk without any plate in between, pipe die contact. I'll wait and see Dell making the same 'mistake' all over again (M18x cpu/GTX 580M htsnk) with the new m17 and extreme processors option, many threads "M17 CPU throttle" "CPU overheating" then a couple of months later a 3 piped redesigned htsnk will become available(R3/R4 perfect fit), any publicity is good publicity.

I thought of getting a big fat 12mm heatpipe to go across the entire CPU die. Unfortunately there isn't enough room to bend the pipe in that direction. It would be very easy for dell to use narrow vapor chambers to go directly from processor die to radiator since currently the heatpipes are level anyway. Should drop temps at least 5C by avoiding the copper plate and solder junction.

I thought of getting a big fat 12mm heatpipe to go across the entire CPU die. Unfortunately there isn't enough room to bend the pipe in that direction. It would be very easy for dell to use narrow vapor chambers to go directly from processor die to radiator since currently the heatpipes are level anyway. Should drop temps at least 5C by avoiding the copper plate and solder junction.

This was before CPU htsnk mod, GPU htsnk mod Max 68C 1.025V (GTX 780M) based info [Conference Call] Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M 78C° Throttling [sEE POST #191 and later] - Page 29

3DMark 11 (mistakenly disabled GPU power)

34u8.png

GPU htsnk works better with the copper plate, heat is constant, Gelid extreme is the best thermal compound for the CPU not that much difference w/ GPU.

Here are some tests, not perfect but still pretty accurate [eXtreme-roundup] 26 Thermal Compounds tested - hwbot.org

Hey quick question, as I am a newbie here and just getting into overclocking, so I apologize if I sound retarded. My computer is an MSI GT 70-ONE 276, my processor is 3840QM with 32 GB of ram and I have a GTX 680M, bios version: 80.04.33.00.24, core clock is 771 MHz and Memory is 1800 MHz. I've never done any overclocking before and would like to get a little more out of my GPU. So which Vbios have people had the best experiences with and any good/stable clocks that people have used on this computer? I'm not looking to bench my computer, just looking to get a little more out of it, without destroying it.

On a random note, I don't know if people have had this experience before, but I do have a dual monitor setup, two 27 inch samsung monitors, one in the hdmi and one in the vga. I get this random screen flicker, where the screen kind of blinks really fast, just for a second, enough to make you look at it. it really does it randomly and on both screens, sometimes just one and sometimes just the other...I've tried new cables, new drivers, uninstalled and wiped with driversweeper and all that, multiple times to no avail. I was wondering if doing bios flash and re-install would help? Anyways I thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced this.

Sorry for the long drawn out post but i am trying to get five posts in so i can download stuff. And again sorry for sounding like a newb but I am lol. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi svl7, I been trying to download the mod version of the MSI 680m volt 1025 and it wont let me non of the zips allow me to download. I do understand you do this on your free time. I also donated to help with beer. can you tell me how or why i cant download the vbios zip files?

I have found the link to this forum on another notebook related forum. Thank you very much for the OC edition of GTX 680m vbios. I wanted to start slow with low overclocking and if everything goes well, will be trying more extreme settings. Again, thank you for all the hard work you guys have done in producing these files. I can only imaging how much time it took to test out all the settings and draw the lines, where the card is safe and performs much better than stock.

The 780m vbios is a god send. It works really well. 1006/6008Mhz @1.0125v everything was rock steady in 3DMark 11 and I'm sure I can go higher. I scored around P9400 with a 10000+ Physics score and that was with my CPU at only 4.0Ghz Sandy Bridge used to need 4.5Ghz to get that score.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi svl7, I been trying to download the mod version of the MSI 680m volt 1025 and it wont let me non of the zips allow me to download. I do understand you do this on your free time. I also donated to help with beer. can you tell me how or why i cant download the vbios zip files?

Hey, I'm a newbie here but i'm pretty sure that you can't download any files yet because you haven't posted 5 times yet. Its in the forum rules, but anybody else please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I just recently found this forum and find the information invaluable. The technology and information you share is a great resource for all of us. I was wondering if there is also a list of unmodified stock Bios' listed?

Which one are you looking for? Maybe if someone reads the post then they'll post it here for you.

Buenas tardes, tengo un alienware m17xr4 con Gtx 680m y i7-3840qm. Me gustaría saber que tal va los archivos de la primera pagina en este laptop. Un saludo para todos

Good afternoon, I have a alienware m17xr4 with Gtx 680m and i7-3840qm. I would like to know how it goes files on the first page in this laptop. A greeting to all

Hello I am brand new to this forum. I recently purchased an Alienware 18 with dual gtx 780's. I am really excited to read about the VBIOS update, particularly so early in the launch of the new cards. I am just curious what sort overclocking potential on the core and memory clocks one could expect. Are we looking at potentially a 15-20% overclock with this VBIOS update? My apologies if this has already been covered in this thread or a different one. I have not had the time to read through all the posts. Cheers!

Which one are you looking for? Maybe if someone reads the post then they'll post it here for you.

OEM Bios' well any I can get my hands on. Dell provided a 580 so I used that. It would be nice if I had one stock dell bios for all their mobile cards that are not otherwise public. That turns out to be a big list for me. Currently I am looking for

DELL

GTX660m

GTX675m

GTX765M

GTX770m

GTX780M

Also looking for Quadro 3000, 4000, 5000 and 5010m

• Brian featured this topic