NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

I have the full list of nvflash commands from the other thread, and I've read the detailed guide. I have flashed before, knowing the syntax was never an issue.

Actually this can cause issues.

Knowing how to do it doesnt help if you already have VBIOS, incompatible with your mobo, and can't boot any devices, including windows...

This guide line was going off of "if" you could get back into windows.

We all run the risk of flashing an incompatible vbios. Which isn't a problem for those who have a recovery plan in place. This has always been rule number one. And if you don't have one then you don't take chances till you get one. If you don't care then you just jump right in and start flashing.

Since i can practically recover just about anything with exception of a fail ec flash, I just flash away. In your case....not so much. You don't have a backup plan. And clevo really isn't big on re flashing nor replacing cards if they can help it. Now if your lucky and prema has a mod that allows you to see on board and dedicated at the same time. Then that would be a back up plan. If not.....best to flash one from someone who already has it.

Next time you will be my backup plan [emoji2] I dont expect this to happen twice, but push comes the shove - if after I flash that bios I referenced in previous posts there is another brick - ill just grab the card and drive to OC and buy you a grande mocha and bluberry muffin.

Also my laptop wasnt purchased from Clevo - it's actually Origin PC's EON-15S. They just use Clevo laptops as a base for customizations they do

On a P150HM, only MSI 80.04.33.00.24 and Clevo 80.04.29.00.01 vbios are compatible.

That's very helpful, thanks. Do you happen to know if "Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01" VBIOS, available for download in the 2nd post of this thread uses one of these 2 versions you listed as a base?

No,the OCedition allow to bypass the +135mhz limit. To go over 1Ghz, you need this vbios

Overclocking is not a science, i can't guarantee the frequencies you will be able to reach.

• Thumbs Up 1

After this personal recommendation of yours I'm a lot more confident about my upcoming 2nd attempt to flash custom VBIOS to my 680M. Can't go wrong with trying VBIOS, which is proven to be functional for someone, who had the exact same hardware I do. Oh, and I noticed you're still on just FHD screen, despite having GTX 780M. That's like buying a Bugatti Veyron and driving it on 25mph speed limit country roads :)

I have this monitor and I highly recommend it - it's great for gaming and everything else. In fact, no other monitors I've ever had even come close. It also comes with 2 Thunderbolt 2.0 ports, and the significance of that is that Thunderbolt's 2.0 10Gbps bandwidth throughput is enough to support gaming through port replicator/docking station. Previously, if your manufacturer didnt make a docking station for your laptop and you wanted to buy an aftermarket port replicator - you would not be able to play games with it, because USB 2/3, FireWire connectors didnt have enough throughput to support high bandwidth communication between GPU and monitor - not the case with Thunderbolt 2.0.

"That's like buying a Bugatti Veyron and driving it on 25mph speed limit country roads"

I drive safely ;)

The screen resolution is another debate. I had to oc my 780m to properly run crysis 3 and other title at FHD.

780m is a good card but it's not a Bugatti Veyron, at stock speed this card is on par with a desktop 660Ti.

Your monitor is really great, but i spent too much money on my computer, and if i make an attempt to buy this screen, my wife will gonna cut my balls;)

Gaming on that screen must be amazing

After this personal recommendation of yours I'm a lot more confident about my upcoming 2nd attempt to flash custom VBIOS to my 680M. Can't go wrong with trying VBIOS, which is proven to be functional for someone, who had the exact same hardware I do. Oh, and I noticed you're still on just FHD screen, despite having GTX 780M. That's like buying a Bugatti Veyron and driving it on 25mph speed limit country roads :)

I have this monitor and I highly recommend it - it's great for gaming and everything else. In fact, no other monitors I've ever had even come close. It also comes with 2 Thunderbolt 2.0 ports, and the significance of that is that Thunderbolt's 2.0 10Gbps bandwidth throughput is enough to support gaming through port replicator/docking station. Previously, if your manufacturer didnt make a docking station for your laptop and you wanted to buy an aftermarket port replicator - you would not be able to play games with it, because USB 2/3, FireWire connectors didnt have enough throughput to support high bandwidth communication between GPU and monitor - not the case with Thunderbolt 2.0.

Wow that is an impressive monitor, looks kind of nice being extra wide. Havent heard of 21:9 ratio till now

Why you flash vbios for MSI to your ASUS? It is two very different vbios!

I just wanted to give it a try to see if it works correctly with other 4GB GTX880M, but seems I was wrong.

I am currently back on stock vBIOS, so could please someone modify the vBIOS I have linked ?

Sorry for the off topic but can't find any link to download the unlocked vbios for the alienware 18 gtx770m

No need to apologise, you're absolutely on topic! :-) Here's where you can find the vBIOS that's been designed for the Alienware 18 specifically (for some reason it's not listed on the first page of this thread):

BIOS / VBIOS modification request thread (svl7) (Post #81 in that thread).

What if i fail flashing, or something go wrong ? is it possible to easy fix vbios if I dont have IGP?

Depends on if your system will POST with no graphics card. Clevo machines do not as I found out the hard way so fixing a soft brick involved me taking my card and putting it in my old Alienware M17xR1 and reflashing it.

If your machine will POST without a graphics card being detected, you make sure that your USB drive with the vbios is set as the default boot device and credit a batch file that will reflash your cards and just do it blindly.

Last option if you can't fix it with your own machine and you don't know anyone who has an MXM machine to flash it for you, you either buy a vbios chip on eBay and fix it yourself by soldering a new chip, send the card off to someone else who is able to do the fix for you, or you see how much your manufacturer will charge you to fix your error, bearing in mind that they may void the entire system warranty and refuse to help you get a new card or they may charge you the full cost of a new card plus shipping and labor, or you'll have to buy a compatible replacement on eBay.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well, with no graphic card, system works fine (windows sound etc, but no display ofc), maybe it's a good sign. But still don't know if it post with bricked card. Anyway it's good to know that it is fixable.

Soon I receive Clevo 770m for my gt780dx, but don't know yet is it worth to flash with MSI vbios, or just modify .inf file with Clevo vbios.

Is there any disadvantage in using MSI vbios in my lapop ?

Is there any power limitation even with unlocked vbios? I have alienware 18 with dual GTX770M i have used svl7 unlocked vbios and i can overclock up to +220/+500mem with +100mv voltage (temps never go higher than 74degrees thats on auto fan profile with liquid ultra paste) with custom fan profile temps never go beyond 55 degrees. If i use more voltage i can go up to +260 but 3dmark score drops (on gpu score) Currently on +220 i get 11750 gpu marks but if i clock to +260 with 1,15v i get max 10500.

Is there any power limitation even with unlocked vbios? I have alienware 18 with dual GTX770M i have used svl7 unlocked vbios and i can overclock up to +220/+500mem with +100mv voltage (temps never go higher than 74degrees thats on auto fan profile with liquid ultra paste) with custom fan profile temps never go beyond 55 degrees. If i use more voltage i can go up to +260 but 3dmark score drops (on gpu score) Currently on +220 i get 11750 gpu marks but if i clock to +260 with 1,15v i get max 10500.

Yes, there is a limit. I know there was with 880M vbios.

• Brian featured this topic