NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

How can I see that on fraps?

You can see that on CALCULATOR: 15448/55.25=13480/48.141

Or even more. Using Logic! How can Total fps counter on Example 1 be smaller if his average fps counter for the same period of time is bigger?

You exchanged their places.

You can see that on CALCULATOR: 15448/55.25=13480/48.141

Or even more. Using Logic! How can Total fps counter on Example 1 be smaller if his average fps counter for the same period of time is bigger?

You exchanged their places.

you're right, I think I get excited very soon, I'm new to this and just is my first overclock. I will continue doing tests and I'll see what results I get. any program that you recommend me to do my tests and give me more accurate results?

Anyways, I tried the AW17 version and I could push it up to 180+Mhz core + 900Mhz memory clock, for some reason my limits here are due to power consumption! my ac adapter cant keep up! I should mention that I have a pair of these cards in my AW 18 chases. I should also note even without overclocking the card, fps drops randomly and sometimes games froze if the ac adapter is not connected. Anyways, here is my original vbios.

MYDELLBA

Btw, I didnt pump the voltage. should I set it to 1.1v? and how?

Sv17 deserves more attention in OCing community, I donated already and I wish others to do so, and Im willing to even donate more.

Cya.

With respect to my previous post, I pumped my voltage to 1.05 and I managed to pump my gpu by +300Mhz and memory clock by 850Mhz, but the problem is whenever I apply those settings to my secondary gpu, hell goes loose and system becomes very unstable. My alienware power supply can provide 330W at max. The only problem with this bios is when I keep default stock settings, my games run smoothly on battery then of all the sudden they drop to 10~ fps and sometimes system crash. I guess there is an issue with p-states but Im afraid I cant fix it. If somebody owns an Alienware 18 with a pair of 765m GTX, please share!

So I'm back on the modded vbios. Apparently there is a bug with XTU, Clevo BIOS, and the mod where using XTU can cause the reboot issue I was describing. D2 Ultima on NBR alerted me to it. I removed XTU and flashed the mod and it is now working 954MHz @ 0.981v set on boot with EVGA Precision X. Testing it now but since the cards are stable with the stock vbios and it runs the cards at that voltage for that core, I think it shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

With respect to my previous post, I pumped my voltage to 1.05 and I managed to pump my gpu by +300Mhz and memory clock by 850Mhz, but the problem is whenever I apply those settings to my secondary gpu, hell goes loose and system becomes very unstable. My alienware power supply can provide 330W at max. The only problem with this bios is when I keep default stock settings, my games run smoothly on battery then of all the sudden they drop to 10~ fps and sometimes system crash. I guess there is an issue with p-states but Im afraid I cant fix it. If somebody owns an Alienware 18 with a pair of 765m GTX, please share!

The crashing happening on battery might be due to the cards overloading the battery - the battery can't supply the necessary current. I'm not entirely sure, but I think svl7's vBIOS doesn't allow for the GPU's to throttle to lower clocks when gaming on battery - this would overload your battery & could cause it to shut down. To test my theory you can use GPUz or other GPU monitoring tool to monitor your GPU clocks when gaming on battery to see what's going on. Gaming on battery is not really feasible anyway, with the stock Dell vBIOS the cards will be throttled & performance will be awful, as will battery life, gaming on outlet is really the only way to go with serious gaming laptops.

Referring to your 1st point, about system instability with your overclock on your second GPU - I just think your overclock is unstable, either more voltage required or less Mhz. If it's your memory overclock that's proving it to be unstable, then increasing the voltage won't help - the adjustable voltage only applies to the core. (I think a 330W adapter is enough for 765M sli, even when heavily overclocked.)

• Thumbs Up 2

The crashing happening on battery might be due to the cards overloading the battery - the battery can't supply the necessary current. I'm not entirely sure, but I think svl7's vBIOS doesn't allow for the GPU's to throttle to lower clocks when gaming on battery - this would overload your battery & could cause it to shut down. To test my theory you can use GPUz or other GPU monitoring tool to monitor your GPU clocks when gaming on battery to see what's going on. Gaming on battery is not really feasible anyway, with the stock Dell vBIOS the cards will be throttled & performance will be awful, as will battery life, gaming on outlet is really the only way to go with serious gaming laptops.

Referring to your 1st point, about system instability with your overclock on your second GPU - I just think your overclock is unstable, either more voltage required or less Mhz. If it's your memory overclock that's proving it to be unstable, then increasing the voltage won't help - the adjustable voltage only applies to the core. (I think a 330W adapter is enough for 765M sli, even when heavily overclocked.)

Thanks for the reply, but what is the maximum safest voltage. Im going to shoot up to 1.1v, but if I overclock 1 card, the overclocking is stable, if I overclock both cards, the system crash almost instantly.

I guess if i want to game on battery ( I play dota2, not a demanding game) I have to lower frequency of the gpu.

Thanks for the reply, but what is the maximum safest voltage. Im going to shoot up to 1.1v, but if I overclock 1 card, the overclocking is stable, if I overclock both cards, the system crash almost instantly.

I guess if i want to game on battery ( I play dota2, not a demanding game) I have to lower frequency of the gpu.

Gaming on battery is going to a challenge and attempting it with cards that don't down clock can kill your battery as in physically damage it.

As far as safe voltages the cards will hit their thermal shutdown point long before you would do electrical damage to them. 1.1v is likely to overload a single A/C adapter though. My system can't do 1.1v on both cards even with turbo turned off on my 4940MX. Fire strike will pass but 3dmark 11 will overload it.

As Ethrem says, you can damage your battery if the cards aren't downclocking when gaming on battery - I think you should check this like I suggested in my prior response to you. If you want to game on battery you should lower your clocks - probably below the stock frequency of the cards. Have a google around to see what other sli notebooks clock down to on battery for a reference (765M sli).

1.1V should be OK & safe for you, the stock voltage for those cards is 1V, and some 750M's operate at up to 1.156V, but I wouldn't go above 1.1V if I was you - make sure temperatures are below 90 degC, hopefully below 80 degC though for some extra feeling of safety. Regarding your crashing, you'll just have to run your cards at a voltage & Mhz that is stable for the slowest card (worst overclocker). (Even at 1.1V I don't think you'll overload your 330W adapter as those 765M cards are little chips and 'only' have 768 cores per card, but you might be close to overloading your adapter if you run an unlocked high performance CPU with a heavy overclock (a chip like Ethrem's 4940MX for example)).

I read through alot of this thread and decided to register and ask a question or two wondering if it might help anyone else who is lurking

Im not sure if it was the update to watchdogs or my continual tweaking of the Nvidia Control panel or the Ubisoft Watchdogs update, I used to have the same throttling issues with Watchdogs but it seems now my cards are running 993mhz full time and staying around 70C, id be happy to do a benchmark but i dont have any GPU benching tools on this computer yet, i haven't OC'ed anything other than the CPU only as much as raising the multipliers and the voltage/wattage slightly to get better load times. Will loading this modded vBIOS do anything for me? Oh and im using the beta driver from Nvidia everyone seems to hate

And kind of off topic but i figure this is a good place to get a response, can i change the RAM clock speed on this motherboard? it seems to be limited by the BIOS but mine isnt unlocked yet as i havent been bothered to try and get around it without knowing for sure i can get anything out of it

I read through alot of this thread and decided to register and ask a question or two wondering if it might help anyone else who is lurking

Im not sure if it was the update to watchdogs or my continual tweaking of the Nvidia Control panel or the Ubisoft Watchdogs update, I used to have the same throttling issues with Watchdogs but it seems now my cards are running 993mhz full time and staying around 70C, id be happy to do a benchmark but i dont have any GPU benching tools on this computer yet, i haven't OC'ed anything other than the CPU only as much as raising the multipliers and the voltage/wattage slightly to get better load times. Will loading this modded vBIOS do anything for me? Oh and im using the beta driver from Nvidia everyone seems to hate

And kind of off topic but i figure this is a good place to get a response, can i change the RAM clock speed on this motherboard? it seems to be limited by the BIOS but mine isnt unlocked yet as i havent been bothered to try and get around it without knowing for sure i can get anything out of it

If you're happy that your 880M's aren't throttling, and don't want to OC, then you're better off staying with you current stock vBIOS for the 880M. Even if you do want to OC, for gaming purposes your gaming stable overclock isn't likely to give you much extra performance, maybe 10% if you're lucky - the 880M's are already running pretty close the thermal/voltage/Mhz stability limits when at stock settings. Crashing of your cards during attempted overclocking can also set a 'reduced performance flag' to the 880M's too, so all taken together I don't think it's worth OC'ing the 880M.

I used Typhoon Burner to overclock my RAM, by creating a new overclocked XMP setting on each of the RAM sticks - it's complicated & doesn't give much performance improvement (a slight increase to CPU performance - less than 5%), if your memory sticks are already at 1600Mhz there's not much to be gained running them any faster. The type of RAM overclocking I did partially explained in the following post: *OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x Benchmark Thread - Part 4 - Page 234

I don't buy 70C for a non-throttling 880M. Have you logged this with GPU-Z and confirmed it's not throttling? If so, who makes your machine and what's your stock vbios version? I'm not aware of any stock vbios that doesn't throttle. The only exception *may* be the 4GB ASUS card based on benchmarks I've seen.

I don't buy 70C for a non-throttling 880M. Have you logged this with GPU-Z and confirmed it's not throttling? If so, who makes your machine and what's your stock vbios version? I'm not aware of any stock vbios that doesn't throttle. The only exception *may* be the 4GB ASUS card based on benchmarks I've seen.

they are 880M 8gb cards, they max out at 81C when on Watchdogs with all settings maxed other than Ambient Occlusion, running at 993mhz basically the whole time sometimes I see them down to 980mhz, always 89-98% usage on both cards, using MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU/CPU and RAM usage in game, like is in the signature its a Sager NP9377-S with the copper cooling upgrades and IC Diamond all around im sure this is helping alot with cooling as it really never goes past 80C and thats when I've been playing for at least an hour, I'm also using a Coolermaster 3 Fan base which by my simple tests does about 3-5C improvement on its own

I would also like to know what laptop is running sli 880m's on full blast at 70c. I have an AW 18 and she is sitting on a CM SF-19 with dual 140mm turbine fans and I used ic diamond. I am getting 75c to 85c depending on the game. I seem to hover around 80c with the fans on my cooler at 30% as it gets loud at anything above. I also am in my basement office and it's always 68F or lower. Either my laptop has issues or I am missing something, I also am running the mod-vbios and I was throttling with lower temps in most games before that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would also like to know what laptop is running sli 880m's on full blast at 70c. I have an AW 18 and she is sitting on a CM SF-19 with dual 140mm turbine fans and I used ic diamond. I am getting 75c to 85c depending on the game. I seem to hover around 80c with the fans on my cooler at 30% as it gets loud at anything above. I also am in my basement office and it's always 68F or lower. Either my laptop has issues or I am missing something, I also am running the mod-vbios and I was throttling with lower temps in most games before that.

Yeah man the 880M really is the worst release nVidia ever made. I run mine @ 849MHz @ 0.896v so I don't have to do anything stupid to keep temps under control. Max temps with full fans is 72C, max fan with auto is 84C and the fans never actually have to spin up because they don't hit 87C which is when Clevo fans go to their high state so my machine is much quieter now.

It's a sacrifice but all my games run flawlessly with it but it's basically now a 780M with 8GB of RAM.

You shouldn't have to make such a sacrifice on a card that costs so much money.

Heh heh not even close to being as bad as the GTX 480M if you know the history there.

I missed that generation entirely but did they at least hit their stock clocks out of the box?

I missed that generation entirely but did they at least hit their stock clocks out of the box?

Sure, if you count hitting a measly 425 MHz while still running hot and barely outperforming a Mobility 5870 at twice the TDP something to brag about.

Sure, if you count hitting a measly 425 MHz while still running hot and barely outperforming a Mobility 5870 at twice the TDP something to brag about.

I don't consider it something to brag about but a card performing at its advertised clocks is less broken than a card that doesn't perform at its advertised clocks and overheats when you force it to. Imo anyway.

• Brian featured this topic