NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Just wanted to let you know that I successfully renewed the thermal paste on my GT60 (CPU & GPU) - The results are almost unbelievable!

Below you will find my results of 30min Furmark runs.

In both runs the vBios was the same and I didn't touch voltages or the clocks - "Cooler Boost" was activated so the fan was running at max. speed both times.

FURMARK

BEFORE: Hitting 91-93C and the 880m started throttling after ~5 minutes - I guess without throttling (keeping the boost clock of 992MHZ) it could have reached at least 95 degrees. With throttling the core clock went down to under 500Mhz sometimes.

AFTER: No throttling at all! The GPU kept the Boost clocks the whole run without any issues. The temperature was 81-82C - This ist truly amazing in my opinion.

For the repasting i used the Gelid GC-Extreme after reading a few comparisons.

Maybe theres also a bit room left for OC?! We will see ;-)

You should be able to download them fine now, as you have at least 5 posts. (possible that maybe the admins have to 'verify' your posts though before you're able to download)

- - - Updated - - -

@Ethrem, looks like you're sorted now with your 880M's, looks like they're finally working as they should - you've had a load of problems with them, but seems fine now, with pretty good temperatures too. Looks like you'll finally be able to enjoy them, and not have any buyer's regret! One thing I would say is be careful with your overclocking efforts - I think I read that if your cards crash a certain number of times during your testing to establish a maximum overclock it can then hamstring your cards to a lower performance (like some kind of flag is set - a weird quirk of the 880M) - so maybe best not to try any overclocking with them.

Yeah I don't plan to overclock at all. I just wanted my cards to stop dropping the slave to as low as 888MHz for no good reason, I was even willing to set the base clock to 954MHz instead of 993MHz if the heat was too high but to my surprise, everything seems to be fine.

Bioshock Infinite does burn up the cards but I can turn on adaptive vsync and that won't be an issue anymore. Sleeping Dogs is kind of the same, just have to disable extreme AA which I can't really tell apart from high anyway and temps are down a few degrees.

All in all, I'm finally pleased. I think it was bad cards from the start, at least that slave, because Sager put the same heatsink on the new slave and its obviously not even hitting 90C now.

Okay that doesn't sound promising :/

Unfortunately I'm running extremly high temps in my MSI GT60 (up to 93 degree under heavy load), so it throttles a lot at the moment.

But we will see - Maybe I'm lucky with my sample. I will also do a repaste today with Gelid GC Extreme and hope that I can lower the temps by at least 5C.

The best I was able to get last night was -12.5mv, -25 crashed the first card in Valley almost immediately and it took about 10 minutes before the slave crashed with it. As you can guess, 12.5mv didn't really change the temperature at all.

Congrats on getting the temps down, I'm a big fan of that paste.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 on Tapatalk

Yeah I don't plan to overclock at all. I just wanted my cards to stop dropping the slave to as low as 888MHz for no good reason, I was even willing to set the base clock to 954MHz instead of 993MHz if the heat was too high but to my surprise, everything seems to be fine.

Bioshock Infinite does burn up the cards but I can turn on adaptive vsync and that won't be an issue anymore. Sleeping Dogs is kind of the same, just have to disable extreme AA which I can't really tell apart from high anyway and temps are down a few degrees.

All in all, I'm finally pleased. I think it was bad cards from the start, at least that slave, because Sager put the same heatsink on the new slave and its obviously not even hitting 90C now.

The best I was able to get last night was -12.5mv, -25 crashed the first card in Valley almost immediately and it took about 10 minutes before the slave crashed with it. As you can guess, 12.5mv didn't really change the temperature at all.

Congrats on getting the temps down, I'm a big fan of that paste.

Yeah, I'm also impressed with the results. But the factory thermal pads were total rubbish - Once I removed the heatsink and saw how they were pasted (needed around 20 minutes to get this "chewing gum" off) I was sure that there must be a significant improvement.

Did you already try to OC core & mem of the 880m with this vBios? What were your results? Might try that instead of undervolting, while watching the temps and trying to keep the voltage @stock ;)

Yeah, I'm also impressed with the results. But the factory thermal pads were total rubbish - Once I removed the heatsink and saw how they were pasted (needed around 20 minutes to get this "chewing gum" off) I was sure that there must be a significant improvement.

Did you already try to OC core & mem of the 880m with this vBios? What were your results? Might try that instead of undervolting, while watching the temps and trying to keep the voltage @stock ;)

I didn't try with this set but my last pair couldn't do +20 on stock voltage.

Highest core I got on the old ones was 1098 @ 1.1v which was able to pass firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2326858

Unfortunately I only had one 330W A/C adapter at the time so both 3DMark 11 and Catzilla overloaded it.

Since these actually work, I'm not so sure I want to risk overclocking them.

EDIT: Actually, I got them to 1153 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2327316 I had to turn off turbo for the CPU for that test so the score is a bit lower than it should have been.

Yeah, don't get suckered into overclocking those 880M's now you've finally got a working pair! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! sli 880M is gonna chew through pretty much everything at stock clocks. Even if you do manage to get a gameable overclock, you're gonna get probably less than 10% improvement in game performance - not really worth the hassle.

Yeah, don't get suckered into overclocking those 880M's now you've finally got a working pair! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! sli 880M is gonna chew through pretty much everything at stock clocks. Even if you do manage to get a gameable overclock, you're gonna get probably less than 10% improvement in game performance - not really worth the hassle.

Yeah the only way I actually stress these cards out is by throwing AA settings I can't even notice at them, even just one is more than adequate for most games. The two combined are faster than my desktop 780 Ti which only gets a slow down with ultra textures in Watch Dogs because of only having 3GB of RAM.

Here's what happened with Firestrike all options maxed out in custom (including 8xMSAA, 16xAF, all tesselation and other options, 1080p), looped on first scene for an hour and sixteen minutes

34ecker.png

Max temp was 90C with auto fans, I turned the fans on max at the end which was good for 1-2 degrees off, honestly don't think its worth the added noise.

So worst case scenario for a game, probably looking at 88C on auto, 85-86C on max because the load in a game is almost never near 100% while the 3DMark run is extremely close as you can see.

I'm very happy with this result but of course, it leaves zero thermal headroom for overclocking later.

finally found it it here. I am the same irfan from forumnotebook review. tried to overclock my SLI 870M but won't past 75+ mhz.

I tried using NVidia inspector. the voltage in P0 state is unlock but not in P1

anyway, here is 3d mark 11 I could get. not too shaby for a system cost 800$ less of alienware 18 with SLI 780M that performs 5-10% fasterpost-28835-14494998189545_thumb.jpg

So... a few hours ago I tried to flash the modded vBios for my 800m - I had to use "nvflash -4 -5 -6 *.rom", because there was a mismatch in device IDs.

Afterwards I rebooted and Windows didn't recognize my card :( Was just listed as some sort of general video card and I also couldn't install drivers or read it out properly in GPU-Z (clock rates were at 0 Mhz).

Then I had to reflash the stock vbios - I tried the process two times, but there was the same issue.... Do you have any suggestions for me?

Below you'll find a GPU-Z screen of my GPU at the stock vbios.

post-28829-14494998192333_thumb.gif

MSI cards need a modified version of the nVidia drivers I thought?

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win8x64/337.88/disclaimer

Get the driver and the INF from there, extract the driver, and replace the installer INF with the modded one and try it.

It's just a guess but it's worth a try.

So... a few hours ago I tried to flash the modded vBios for my 800m - I had to use "nvflash -4 -5 -6 *.rom", because there was a mismatch in device IDs.

Afterwards I rebooted and Windows didn't recognize my card :( Was just listed as some sort of general video card and I also couldn't install drivers or read it out properly in GPU-Z (clock rates were at 0 Mhz).

Then I had to reflash the stock vbios - I tried the process two times, but there was the same issue.... Do you have any suggestions for me?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12286[/ATTACH]

Did you use a DOS USB boot disk?

Hi all,

Is there a working unlocked VBIOS for 4GB version of 880m that comes with ASUS G750JZ?

Also is there a trick to run Battlefield 3/4 games with overclocked 880m without random DEVICE_HUNG error? I am not able to keep them stable above 1075 core clock with stock vBIOS. I even tried to keep temp below 80 with turbofan on and overvolting it to 1.1v.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12286[/ATTACH]

Make sure you flash in DOS mode and also use only "nvflash -6 *.rom". I did on my 880M and succeed without any problem.

Make sure you flash in DOS mode and also use only "nvflash -6 *.rom". I did on my 880M and succeed without any problem.

So you think the "-4 -5" could have caused the issue? Then I'll try it again... A few minutes ago (before i read your post) I tried it again with a USB bootdisk and even modded several driver revisions with the proper hardware ids on my own - But when the installation started, it aborts 1-2 minutes later :/

I mean the flashing process goes without any problems.. I can't figure out the possible problem.

- - - Updated - - -

So you think the "-4 -5" could have caused the issue? Then I'll try it again... A few minutes ago (before i read your post) I tried it again with a USB bootdisk and even modded several driver revisions with the proper hardware ids on my own - But when the installation started, it aborts 1-2 minutes later :/

I mean the flashing process goes without any problems.. I can't figure out the possible problem.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as your voltage, clock and memory is unlock no throttling, it is fine...congrats. Share some OC, benchmark results...Mine one end up with have to buy a new 330W power supply due to 180W wasn't enough.

@pacev

- Disable UEFI secure boot and set legacy boot instead.

- MS-DOS bootable USB stick, rename "880M OC edition rev00.rom" to "880m.rom" (nvflash -6 880m.rom) http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

- Disable driver signing.

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

-> reboot -> install drivers.

Exit test mode.

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no

or

F8 option (safe mode/driver signing/recovery options...permanent :D)

cmd (Admin).

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> "disable driver signature enforcement" -> install drivers.

Default.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

@pacev

- Disable UEFI secure boot and set legacy boot instead.

- MS-DOS bootable USB stick, rename "880M OC edition rev00.rom" to "880m.rom" (nvflash -6 880m.rom) http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

- Disable driver signing.

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

-> reboot -> install drivers.

Exit test mode.

or

F8 option (safe mode/driver signing/recovery options...permanent :D)

cmd (Admin).

-> reboot -> F8 -> "disable driver signature enforcement" -> install drivers.

Default.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

You are awesome! Thanks a lot - Seems that this one worked :) So I guess it was really just a signing-issue.

Can I stay in this mode or is it better to disable the testsigning again?

I just had to flash it back to stock. For some reason whenever my machine would restart, it would pop up with the modded vbios message then shut off, turn itself back in and repeat that cycle until I pulled the power cord from the back. It would shut down one last time then I had to turn it on with no power cord or it would loop again. Now that I flashed them back to stock, everything is fine. I am at a loss as to why they would start to behave like that.

I also could not pass the physics test on 3dmark cloud gate. Both 337.88 and 340.56 drivers crashed and recovered 4 times each time the test initialized. I tried bumping the voltage up to 1.025v to no avail. Just ran the test on the stock vbios and it completed with no issue.

Any ideas here? Man I hate these cards...

You are awesome! Thanks a lot - Seems that this one worked :) So I guess it was really just a signing-issue.

Can I stay in this mode or is it better to disable the testsigning again?

Yep, stay away from secure boot and try enabling F8 option. Uninstalling drivers/rebooting (DDU / safe mode) just press F8 and select "disable driver signature enforcement". This is also pretty handy for solving issues under safe mode or recovery options (Win8.1 update 2 fiasco/bugs).

Exit safe mode/remove watermark + enable F8 option.

cmd (Admin)

-> reboot.

thanks robbo i find you posts very useful, i am trying to download the modded vbios files now that i am ready but i am not able to ..so do i need the T I elite membership?

You just need 5 posts and then you can download. You should be able to download now, considering you've got 7 posts, perhaps the admins have to approve all of your 1st 5 posts before you can download. You'll probably be able to download the next time you log in.

hi, yesterday i flashed mi vbios with the asus mod for g750jx, i have no problems flashing with nvflash under windows and i recorded a little video about that

and this is the difference between normal w/o OC and the vbios mod with OC

post-28917-14494998193822_thumb.png

settings i used to overclock

post-28917-14494998193963_thumb.png

Anyways, I tried the AW17 version and I could push it up to 180+Mhz core + 900Mhz memory clock, for some reason my limits here are due to power consumption! my ac adapter cant keep up! I should mention that I have a pair of these cards in my AW 18 chases. I should also note even without overclocking the card, fps drops randomly and sometimes games froze if the ac adapter is not connected. Anyways, here is my original vbios.

MYDELLBA

Btw, I didnt pump the voltage. should I set it to 1.1v? and how?

Sv17 deserves more attention in OCing community, I donated already and I wish others to do so, and Im willing to even donate more.

Cya.

Hello,

I have a P35w-v2 Gigabyte laptop with a 6gb gtx 870m.

Do you know if the 870m oc edition bios would work on this laptop ? Is there a compatibility list for this modded bios ?

It says that it is compatible for all current 870m but my biggest concern is that the 870m exits with 3 or 6 gb of vram. I don't know if the video memory size would affect or not the flash.

MSI cards need a modified version of the nVidia drivers I thought?

LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers

Get the driver and the INF from there, extract the driver, and replace the installer INF with the modded one and try it.

It's just a guess but it's worth a try.

Do you know if this regards also to the 870m?

Greets, d.

• Brian featured this topic