NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Insofar as?

Excuse me, what?

It works very nicely in my 780m. I ran 3Dmark in a loop and didn't observe temps over 77 Deg C. It's a Sager NP8265-S, but as I said earlier, I'm not going to OC this laptop.

Jason

I've been told that the 780m runs nicely regardless of whether you're running stock or modified. Shame that the same can't be said about the 880m. I'm in the process of downgrading to Windows 7, in hope that this fixed my problems. At this point, I'm thinking it could be Windows 8.1 at fault. It's not exactly renowned for being a very good OS.

Excuse me, what?

I've been told that the 780m runs nicely regardless of whether you're running stock or modified. Shame that the same can't be said about the 880m. I'm in the process of downgrading to Windows 7, in hope that this fixed my problems. At this point, I'm thinking it could be Windows 8.1 at fault. It's not exactly renowned for being a very good OS.

Insofar as: I meant "what does it do to kill SVL's vbios?". I wasn't being sarcastic / snarky / cheeky. I apologize if it was taken as such. :)

As for the 2nd point, the 780m works fine for what I need it for. If I were to upgrade ANYTHING, i'd want to put 2 msata SSD's in RAID 0.

Insofar as: I meant "what does it do to kill SVL's vbios?". I wasn't being sarcastic / snarky / cheeky. I apologize if it was taken as such. :)

As for the 2nd point, the 780m works fine for what I need it for. If I were to upgrade ANYTHING, i'd want to put 2 msata SSD's in RAID 0.

Well, before I updated to the latest beta driver, I had no problems over clocking my 880m. Now, since updating, I have nothing but problems over clocking. Here's just one of my problems. I restart my AW, instantly, I'm unable to over clock in any program. I have to start up Nvidia Control Panel to kick my vbios back in to action again. I'm in the middle of formatting to Windows 7, as I'm starting to think Windows 8.1 might be the issue. I'll post back with my findings. If it doesn't resolve my problem, that's it, I give up. I'm glad your 780m is functioning correctly matey.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, before I updated to the latest beta driver, I had no problems over clocking my 880m. Now, since updating, I have nothing but problems over clocking. Here's just one of my problems. I restart my AW, instantly, I'm unable to over clock in any program. I have to start up Nvidia Control Panel to kick my vbios back in to action again. I'm in the middle of formatting to Windows 7, as I'm starting to think Windows 8.1 might be the issue. I'll post back with my findings. If it doesn't resolve my problem, that's it, I give up. I'm glad your 780m is functioning correctly matey.

Could it be the OC part causing the problem? Or do 780m's, even with 340.43 and the unlocked BIOS, have no problems OCing in 8.1?

Jason

Could it be the OC part causing the problem? Or do 780m's, even with 340.43 and the unlocked BIOS, have no problems OCing in 8.1?

Jason

They don't have any problem as far as I know. I'm about to test it on Windows 7 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well... I figured out the culprit for my high temperatures and complete and total system instability. It was the modded vbios.

I also discovered that my cards aren't throttling out of the box when gaming. I just did a 3 hour Watch Dogs session and I was boosting the whole time.

Temps dropped massively going back to the stock vbios. I would say there are probably some kinks in the modded bios that need to be worked out. I was about to RMA my machine and now I'm very happy.

See my post on NBR for more info: Ethrem's NP9377-S review - Page 7

If you have extremely good cooling, the modded vbios is great. But since I'm only throttling in benchmarks that have a tendency to push the hardware to its ultimate limit (Valley will throttle the secondary GPU down into the high 700s, low 800s for the core even at 87C max temp) and I went totally unstable even in games with the modded vbios, I am going to leave it alone for now.

Another problem that I had coming up that has now gone away is that my system would shut itself off at POST about 50% of the time. When I went to go flash the vbios back to stock, I turned off EFI booting to boot off my USB stick and the system shut itself off RIGHT AFTER the modded vbios message popped up. Now that its back on stock, I have rebooted the system a few times, powered it on from being powered completely off, etc., not once has it powered on and shut off again.

If your 880M is having issues, flash it back to stock and wait for svl7 to come out with a new revision, something isn't working properly in the mod from what I and others using it have seen.

I noticed somethings with the mod as well. I am not getting shut downs on post but I am still getting throttling in a way, I will explain.

This is just about gaming as this mod seems geared for benchmarks and for that it works 100%.

It seems that on stock the clocks and gpu usage would throttle to what was needed to maintain my 60fps and it did that. I would really only see clock throttling in game when my gpu usage was not at max and that makes sense, why have the clocks at full blast if the gpu usage was at 65% as it only adds heat. I was running at around 38 - 42c idle and 75c in game on stock. Now I am seeing 42 - 54c idle and up to 90c+ on the mod. The idle is all over as you have to disable shadowplay in the startup or else it will not down clock and if you want to use it then you have to enable and restart every time.

So in conclusion it seems to me that on stock the 880m seems to use the clocks and gpu usage in a sort of balancing act and only using what is needed with vsync enabled. While running at max clocks on the mod the cpu usage does not drop accordingly and remains higher then needed in some cases driving the temps through the roof. Now I know that the driver has a huge impact on performance and the latest beta shows this as it cripples the card with the mod vbios. So did Nvidia push the chip further then it should and the 780m was the sweet spot? Did adding 8Gb of vram somehow have an effect even at the driver level? I ask that as most games only report 4Gb when looking at the card. Does the benchmarks reveal the limits Nvidia set to prevent overheating or are the benchmarks really the problem? I mean its where you would overclock and run the card at max in a different way then your typical game. I myself think I will be going back to stock until things get sorted out as If I don't have my Laptop on my cooler in my cold basement then I wouldn't be able to game under 85c and that I do not feel comfortable with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed somethings with the mod as well. I am not getting shut downs on post but I am still getting throttling in a way, I will explain.

This is just about gaming as this mod seems geared for benchmarks and for that it works 100%.

It seems that on stock the clocks and gpu usage would throttle to what was needed to maintain my 60fps and it did that. I would really only see clock throttling in game when my gpu usage was not at max and that makes sense, why have the clocks at full blast if the gpu usage was at 65% as it only adds heat. I was running at around 38 - 42c idle and 75c in game on stock. Now I am seeing 42 - 54c idle and up to 90c+ on the mod. The idle is all over as you have to disable shadowplay in the startup or else it will not down clock and if you want to use it then you have to enable and restart every time.

So in conclusion it seems to me that on stock the 880m seems to use the clocks and gpu usage in a sort of balancing act and only using what is needed with vsync enabled. While running at max clocks on the mod the cpu usage does not drop accordingly and remains higher then needed in some cases driving the temps through the roof. Now I know that the driver has a huge impact on performance and the latest beta shows this as it cripples the card with the mod vbios. So did Nvidia push the chip further then it should and the 780m was the sweet spot? Did adding 8Gb of vram somehow have an effect even at the driver level? I ask that as most games only report 4Gb when looking at the card. Does the benchmarks reveal the limits Nvidia set to prevent overheating or are the benchmarks really the problem? I mean its where you would overclock and run the card at max in a different way then your typical game. I myself think I will be going back to stock until things get sorted out as If I don't have my Laptop on my cooler in my cold basement then I wouldn't be able to game under 85c and that I do not feel comfortable with.

You're having the same issues I was noticing.

I will say that my temps under extreme load still don't pass 87C, I tested it with Watch Dogs which would throttle from heat and crash with the modded vbios. The only time it throttled the card was when I overloaded it by turning on 8xMSAA - it cut the boost down to stock 954, I would assume that it thought it was an artificial load because that's the same behavior that 3DMark, Catzilla, etc have and 8xMSAA on Ultra is unplayable (as it should be).

Throttling for benchmarks sucks but the tradeoff is that the temps run away in everything which makes the system totally unstable.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I reverted back to stock. It appears I that I can still alter the core, memory and voltage, where as before, I couldn't at stock. With the latest driver, running +20 on the core clock in heaven. My driver crashes mid way through the test. My temps are at 73c (which is good), but I should be crashing at +20 on the core clock. I flashed the vbios from Slv and John, and yeah, let's not even go there. I don't think the vbios is broken in any way shape or form. I seriously think that Nvidia implemented something new in the latest beta driver. It's hammered my 880m, and the damn thing now acts worse than an Intel 4600HD.

I reverted back to stock. It appears I that I can still alter the core, memory and voltage, where as before, I couldn't at stock. With the latest driver, running +20 on the core clock in heaven. My driver crashes mid way through the test. My temps are at 73c (which is good), but I should be crashing at +20 on the core clock. I flashed the vbios from Slv and John, and yeah, let's not even go there. I don't think the vbios is broken in any way shape or form. I seriously think that Nvidia implemented something new in the latest beta driver. It's hammered my 880m, and the damn thing now acts worse than an Intel 4600HD.

I ran the beta driver just fine. It was my temps that were the issue. And my cards can't do +20 either on stock vbios, it needs more voltage and adjusting the voltage causes the card to hit it's power limit and throttle the core.

Again, it seems like the Dell cards are acting differently from the Clevo cards. The Dell cards run cool but have the driver throttle. The Clevo cards run hot as hell (and even add total system instability) but no throttle.

Something is at play here that goes beyond the vbios. It wouldn't surprise me if there are true hardware differences between the two boards other than the known RAM being Samsung on the Clevo card (thus far).

Well my 780m went up in smoke

What happened to your card? I flashed the modded vbios and had a very strange mad bout of 'I thought I'd killed it' artifacting on my 780M when I tried to push the core clock over 1GHz, but once the card had re-set itself due to optimus it came back from the grave, and I'm now running it OK at 980Mhz core / 2800 MHz memory (Clevo P170SM chassis).

Well i never said 3D doesnt work...3D works without problems, its just once u take out PSU its freezing but after some testing...

Running Display on 60Hz does not freeze anymore on battery.

Once Turning up the HZ on 100 - 110 - 120 its frozen.

i hope this can help us. this proves its 100% the refresh rate. That might change to the iGPU and its not able to handle 120HZ even though its disabled... so it just freeze...while the stock bios can handle this situation.

That means the vbios mod been made on a system which had iGPU enabled to switch on incase bad bios flash i believe its how u guys testing the vbios.

So the answer should be within the original vbios. If svl7 need it ill post it. Else i am stuck with the stock vbios ;(

That's odd. Will take a look at that when I get the chance. Hard to test things for me though, don't have a system like yours. Neither a 880m.

@svl7 hi,

I checked the 2nd post in this thread - but can't find the Asus G55VW hacked bios.

Can you please try to reHACK the latest version of that bios ( for the g55vw of course ) ?

Here is the direct link for the official latest bios version 217.

If I find time. Will need a dump of your bios either way.

The interesting part is that i dont have to use hwinfo to control the fan is seems working. it looks hwinfo causing more problem and heat than without it.

The card is a DELL Card (020HTK) with vbios 80.04.5B.00.02. I used someone else inf file and is recon is a MX card but actually is not.

Anyone have experience with this?

Not sure what you exactly mean.... what's the problem with HWiNFO and fan control?

Well the design of the card appears to be pushed to its limits though. Whatever they messed up on with these cards is crippling them big time. I'm starting to think they intentionally binned the 880m chips poorly so that they wouldn't hold a candle to Maxwell...

Nonsense. The 880m just has very little headroom by default. The voltage is set relatively low for the max default boost.

It occured to me that some cards might not perform properly with the settings in the modified vbios, some might need more than one volt for 993MHz...

Another issue is that many systems don't seem to be capable of running 993MHz sustained due to the temps. Re-pasting should be self-explanatory for anyone thinking about ocing, but I'm mentioning it again anyway.

Is the nvidia-gtx-870m-oc-edition-rev00.zip updated from before? I remember downloading the first 870M modded vBIOS upon release by @svl7. Is this a newer revision?

Nope, just that one version.

Where to start..

Firstly, thank you very much for the 880m vbios Slv. I really appreciate it matey.

Secondly, I've been running with the modified 880m vbios for the past week fine. Then last night, I decided to install the latest Nvidia beta driver. Boy was I an idiot for doing this. Somehow, I lost the ability to overclock my memory and voltage in EVGA and Nvidia Inspector. So anyway, I reverted back to my previous driver which worked fine alongside Slv's vbios for the 880m. This didn't fix my issue. So since then, I have flashed back to my stock vbios. This's where my problem begins. I've attempted to flash Slv's vbios back to my 880m. However, I'm now getting ID missmatch. I've tried the nvflash -6 filename.rom. My command is - nvflash -6 cus.rom. I typed YES in caps when prompted. However, Nvflash comes up with (ERROR I.D MISSMATCH) still. I never had this problem until now. Any help with this, would be highly appreciated.

That's incredibly odd to say the least. Seems like part of that issue got solved by changing secure boot related settings. As for overclocking, well that can easily be due changes made in the nvapi by nvidia. Then the oc tools need to be updated as well.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply was due to the crippled nvidia drivers. Many of you might not have noticed, but ever since like 304 the nvidia drivers have some serious issues. Not just performance related, but also when it comes to overclocking. And boost. Etc.

Yeah never had secure boot on and don't use it. I did have legacy on as well but turned it off because I don't like to see the credits screen on boot up that came with the modded vbios. I really do appreciate the modded vbios but wish there was a donation option for leaving out an extra screen on bootup with these credits, hint hint.

It's there for a reason, hint hint.

So I got the modded vbios installed on my 780M, and it works fine and has fixed the throttling issue I was having, so thanks very much for that! :)

I have one problem though in that it seems to have modified the thermal targets for the fans on my machine. They seem to currently bit kiking up to high-speed at 87'c, which is a bit warm if you ask me. With the stock bios they come on to full blast around 75. I don't seem to have any option to set a manual fan speed profile through NVidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner. Is this something casued by the bios? Can anyone recommend a speed controller program which works with the Clevo P170SM chassis?

With the modified vbios your card runs effectively faster than with the stock version, therefore you have to expect higher temps. New thermal paste would be a first approach to this issue.

OK... it's time for NVIDIA fans, 880M owners and others to act... if you're pissed about what you're seeing and experiencing, head on over here (link below) to make some noise and show your support for comrades that are being screwed over with an expensive GPU that runs like crap!

Since Nvidia doesn't give a shit about this forum anyway I'd recommend everyone to file a driver bug report. They get read at least. The more the better.

Well... I figured out the culprit for my high temperatures and complete and total system instability. It was the modded vbios.

I also discovered that my cards aren't throttling out of the box when gaming. I just did a 3 hour Watch Dogs session and I was boosting the whole time.

Temps dropped massively going back to the stock vbios. I would say there are probably some kinks in the modded bios that need to be worked out. I was about to RMA my machine and now I'm very happy.

If your 880M is having issues, flash it back to stock and wait for svl7 to come out with a new revision, something isn't working properly in the mod from what I and others using it have seen.

Instability might have happened because the voltage of the modified vbios was too low for your card. I however don't believe that you run 3 hours at full boost with the stock vbios while having lower temps, that's simply not possible, unless you increased the voltage when using the modified vbios.

• Thumbs Up 3

Some initial observations with SVL7's modded vBIOS.

I've had the BIOS for the past 2 days, and although I'm not an overclocker (ie: I'm not going to be an aspiring JohnKSSS or Mr. Fox anytime soon), it's a very well put-together "vBIOS" even for regular use. The features that make me love my NP8265-S (adjustable GPU clockspeeds for when I want GPU for 4K video, Optimus for when I'm in class and I don't need a dGPU for doing office work, etc., are all there), and I can get 850MHz at 1v (according to GPU-Z). Even the controls for things such as brightness, which didn't work in my previous laptop (an NP8130) when I decided to change the GPU from a 560m to a 675m (and did the corresponding PSU swap), still work as advertised.

As far as heat goes, I'm still peaking in the low 70s when gaming (Shift 2: Unleashed, Dirt 3, Project CARS) with all settings high / ultra. But I'm not breaking the 1.0000v threshold according to GPU-Z even after hours-long gaming sessions. Compared to the stock BIOS which would hit 1.0625v (and sometimes higher) to attain the same 850MHz peak speed, every little bit less energy, even if it's just 62mv, helps reduce heat and extend life. (NB: I'm not complaining, this laptop also goes to school with me.) Now that doesn't mean that I can go "I have an ultrabook!!!!!", but it does mean that there's less stress.

Now, to get some stuff out of the way that I've noticed. I AM using a UEFI mode on my Sager (Prema's Modded BIOS, also highly recommend for its adaptability / usability), but I am NOT using the secure boot option in the BIOS. I have a hunch that with Secure Boot on - either via someone accidentally going "ooh what does this button do?!", or just by default when one buys a rig with Windows pre-installed (I have a feeling that Windows 8 / 8.1 does that when factory installed, and as such makes things more difficult, but that's just my conspiracy view), that it compromises the ability for the end-user to make the necessary adjustments needed / desired on his / her rig. Again, this goes back to the premise that BIOS flashing / modding is NOT something to be taken lightly - be it at the GPU or Mainboard levels - and I gather that most companies - even gaming companies like MSi, Sager / Clevo, and Alienware - do not want the headaches of inexperienced people going and blindly changing everything around... for them, it's "idiot-proofing" for the sake of reducing liability. For someone like me, it causes headaches... but as with most places, we're the overlooked minority.

This brings me to the 880m issue. From what I can see, it's not the fault of SVL7, JohnKSSS, Mr. Fox, and anyone else who either develops modded vBIOSes, or overclocks laptop cards to beyond desktop levels (ie: Mr. Fox's insanely awesome dual 780m Alienware). It lies, as Mr. Fox has correctly asserted, DIRECTLY in the face of nVidia. However, I'm not going to look at it just from the premise of "it has a 100MHz-plus headstart, so it should at least match - if not stomp - the 780m's performance"; rather I'm going to approach it from a "bang for the buck" perspective as well. If I have a 780m, which has standard speeds of 823MHz / 849MHz, and I hit 849MHz out of the box, no mods, no effort, then I am getting, per nVidia's site, my rendered service. For example: if by some "silicon lottery" luck, I am able to OC my 780m to say... 954MHz (the 880m's "non-boost speed"), then I consider that "a great perk", because I'm getting approximately 105MHz of Free, Usable, Performance. Conversely, if I have a 880m (954 / 993), yes I have to squeeze out all that extra power without raising the TDP, but because I've been conditioned to get "GREAT" bang for the buck from the 780m, I may think to myself "I can get something like 1100Mhz out of the 880m's with the same amount of effort, assuming other factors such as ASIC quality, silicon quality, etc., are equal". That's very rarely the case. I'd rather get "free performance that's unexpected" than to have to struggle to even get "advertised speed".

Personally, I would have rather seen the 880m been a high-performance Maxwell GPU and had nVidia wait a few months, than to see what they call "passable"... if the R9 M295X is what it claims to be... nVidia's desire to have "first-mover advantage" may have just given AMD a very big "second-mover advantage"... at least until the AMD card starts blowing up PSUs....

Jason

I will do some testing when I get home. From reading posts, it seems that Precision X isn't stable and may be running multiple instances which could be the cause of the temperatures. I hate to go back to Inspector but I'll remove Precision X, flash the cards, and see what happens.

A long shot idea related to the poor performance seen of the 880M with the latest drivers. I know I don't have the 880M, but this might be relevant. I ended up having to reset my CMOS today (which also reset my system BIOS) in an effort to reflash my 670MX that I bricked today. I managed to reset the CMOS & reflash it with svl7's vBIOS, but I noticed that GPU performance was down 10% across the board at any given overclock. This was strange as GPUz was reporting no throttling & 100% GPU loads during benchmarks, but global wattage consumption measured by my KillaWatt meter was down 20W from peak. I eventually narrowed the problem down to me not having disabled the IGD in the M17xR3 BIOS - I had just enabled the PEG as the main graphics adapter, rather than completely disabling the IGP (even though it wasn't present in Device Manager). Anyway, after disabling IGD in the BIOS my KillaWatt readings are right back up to their normal peak values & so are the benchmarks & game performance.

As a long shot I wondered if this was somehow related to poor performance seen with 880M and latest drivers (I'm on 340.43). Wondering if IGP's need to be disabled in systems to see the best performance. A long shot I know, but I just thought I'd put my experience here as it might be part of a puzzle, then again maybe not! (It just felt like some of the restrictions seen with the 880M and the latest drivers).

actually i thought my PSU 240w is not enought for a single 880M OC and 4910MQ OC ...i bought a 330W and what the hell...once i overclock the 880m to +100mv my 330w PSU shutdown in 3dmark O_O and laptop runs on battery LOL. This wasnt before with the 240w oh man..this whole new AW17 is just bad...im gonna sell it seriously so much money and they limited probably the power on the mainboard.

actually i thought my PSU 240w is not enought for a single 880M OC and 4910MQ OC ...i bought a 330W and what the hell...once i overclock the 880m to +100mv my 330w PSU shutdown in 3dmark O_O and laptop runs on battery LOL. This wasnt before with the 240w oh man..this whole new AW17 is just bad...im gonna sell it seriously so much money and they limited probably the power on the mainboard.

How much you have your CPU overclocked? I popped the circuit protection in my 330W the other day on my NP9377-S pushing the CPU to 3.9GHz with 82A in XTU with both of my GPUs @ 1.05v (don't remember the core, I think it was +105 at that point?), +450MHz mem...

330W should be more than adequate for a single GPU with a 4910MQ... Sounds like you got a bad adapter, I have a 4940MX and can push my adapter pretty hard before it gives out. On top of the MX and dual 880s, I have 2 SSDs, 2 HDs, 32GB of RAM, keyboard lights, and USB components to power.

Gonna flash in a bit, just relaxing right now before I dive in again.

How much you have your CPU overclocked? I popped the circuit protection in my 330W the other day on my NP9377-S pushing the CPU to 3.9GHz with 82A in XTU with both of my GPUs @ 1.05v (don't remember the core, I think it was +105 at that point?), +450MHz mem...

330W should be more than adequate for a single GPU with a 4910MQ... Sounds like you got a bad adapter, I have a 4940MX and can push my adapter pretty hard before it gives out. On top of the MX and dual 880s, I have 2 SSDs, 2 HDs, 32GB of RAM, keyboard lights, and USB components to power.

Gonna flash in a bit, just relaxing right now before I dive in again.

ive got my 4910mq on 4Ghz all cores with 1.130v stable and 880M is overclocked to +100 core / +900 memory. I am able to OC the memory really high while the 880M of my friend is not able. I can even get +1000 on memory but since it doesnt give a big boost i leave it +800/900.

i am 100% sure that power is limited by mainboard. W/e i hope svl7 is gonna fix the vbios for 880m.

Well I flashed the modded vbios and my cards are throttling. I have the tattle tale when the computer starts so I know it flashed and I flashed both cards.

GPU0:

30285zl.png

GPU1:

21zczl.png

(GPU1 is the master in this system Clevo has it reversed). Its got throttling but the temps are fine. Dunno. Those time stretches are the same part of the game.

Inspector shows the GPUs at 993 and both say modified so its running the modded vbios.

Besides, my 3DMark with stock clocks on the mod was 9538 out of the gate NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A the stock vbios is 8486 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

I'm going to run it for a bit and just avoid Precision X, maybe that was the issue. Maybe it was something the 340 series did that didn't go away until I reflashed. Who knows?

Either way, its fine now. Sorry for blaming the vbios svl7, it just seemed odd. Do you think that the new drivers could have done something since that's when everyone started having issues? I'm back on 337.88 and have been for a few days and all my issues went away but when I was running the modded vbios, even without an overclock, the cards were overheating. Now that I flashed back to stock and flashed back, everything's fine. Very odd. Temps didn't pass 87C which is the stock behavior and the fans never hit max, average temps were fine. It boggles the mind but hey, it works. I removed Precision X from the machine and I'll just use the tried and true Inspector.

Of course it throttles, your temps are way too high for the card to sustain the set clocks. At about 92-93°C is the limit of those GK104 chips, then the driver will kick in and throttle, no matter what.

However I still don't believe that you can sustain 993MHz with the stock vbios without hitting the same temp limits.

• Brian featured this topic