NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Wow, these 880M cards seem like a right mess, and also seems like NVidia's latest beta driver (340.43) just makes it worse based on what you're saying. What a cluster f*ck! Can anyone else substantiate that 340.43 driver breaks overclocking on 880M cards? Perhaps the advice should be not to uprgrade to 340.43! Although, it's not really workable keeping your GPU on old GPU drivers. What a mess.

Wow, these 880M cards seem like a right mess, and also seems like NVidia's latest beta driver (340.43) just makes it worse based on what you're saying. What a cluster f*ck! Can anyone else substantiate that 340.43 driver breaks overclocking on 880M cards? Perhaps the advice should be not to uprgrade to 340.43! Although, it's not really workable keeping your GPU on old GPU drivers. What a mess.

As long as my my card still works I am leaving it alone. No way an I updating drivers.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

All credit goes to Mr. Fox for this one but try disabling secure boot. It apparently fixed all the issues that were plaguing another user. I'm on my phone or I'd link you to the post on NBR. I'm going to disable secure boot myself.

As for temps, adjust your target down to 87C. It won't have a huge impact on performance for most situations but can shave off a few degrees. I'm not happy with my temps either and I repasted so many times that I stripped my screws and had to order new ones. Heat is just going to be there I guess unless I get the balls to try Liquid Ultra.

Secure Boot is the worst thing ever invented by Microshaft. It's clearly all about the money these days. Technology will never succeed at this rate. Technology isn't built entirely on the foundation of money. Greedy fools, that's what they all are. Thanks for speaking to Mr. Fox in regards to disabling Secure Boot.

This is the score I was referring to brother Fox

Results - 3D Mark 11

Great news. I hope this works as well for others, too. I've been ranting about the evils of Secure Boot for a while now. It's unfortunate that it took so little time to see an example of the kind of devastation this draconian pile of feces (Secure Boot) can cause. If the day ever comes that it cannot be disable, then we're all screwed.

can someone confirm that this 330W PSU from m18x fits into the new alienware 17 ?

Several people with an Alienware M17xR4 and Alienware 17 are using the 330W AC adapter from the M18xR1/R2/18 to give them more than adequate overclocking headroom with a single GPU. Alienware should make this standard equipment for the Alienware 17 with 780M and 880M and start working on a solution for Alienware 18 owners. The stock AC adapter is woefully inadequate for both of these Alienware models. 330W instantly became inadequate for overclocking back when 680M SLI was released on the M18xR2.

Several people with an Alienware M17xR4 and Alienware 17 are using the 330W AC adapter from the M18xR1/R2/18 to give them more than adequate overclocking headroom with a single GPU. Alienware should make this standard equipment for the Alienware 17 with 780M and 880M and start working on a solution for Alienware 18 owners. The stock AC adapter is woefully inadequate for both of these Alienware models. 330W instantly became inadequate for overclocking back when 680M SLI was released on the M18xR2.

Yeah and Clevo needs to start mandating two power supplies for their SLI machines as well as its desktop processor system. I'm not going to bother with my CPU because there is barely enough power for the two GPUs and a mildly overclocked CPU once the current starts getting increased to it.

I don't understand why they don't just get a 500W brick - it would be plenty and wouldn't be a ton bigger than a 330W unlike the dual 330 solution.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Google how to manually set fans in HWInfo64, they'll be loads of info.

Not for P170EM, the fan icon does not appear with this Clevo model. Tried with Speedfan, but no avail as well. I will try to use the Prema BIOS so that Fn+F1 works again. I'll post updates later in the weekend ;).

Yeah and Clevo needs to start mandating two power supplies for their SLI machines as well as its desktop processor system. I'm not going to bother with my CPU because there is barely enough power for the two GPUs and a mildly overclocked CPU once the current starts getting increased to it.

I don't understand why they don't just get a 500W brick - it would be plenty and wouldn't be a ton bigger than a 330W unlike the dual 330 solution.

Well, I agree they should just start making one double-capacity AC adapter, but it would need to be 600W or 650W. I exceed 500W all the time when benching my M18xR2 with 780M SLI, so that's not enough juice to get the job done. It would be MUCH smarter to just have one monster AC adapter for Clevo and Alienware SLI beasts. You could always have a second 330W AC adapter for travel if you wanted to.

All credit goes to Mr. Fox for this one but try disabling secure boot. It apparently fixed all the issues that were plaguing another user. I'm on my phone or I'd link you to the post on NBR. I'm going to disable secure boot myself.

As for temps, adjust your target down to 87C. It won't have a huge impact on performance for most situations but can shave off a few degrees. I'm not happy with my temps either and I repasted so many times that I stripped my screws and had to order new ones. Heat is just going to be there I guess unless I get the balls to try Liquid Ultra.

Ah, cool, I didn't realise you were referring to the fix for the overclocking problems (overclocks not being applied) brought about by the latest driver 340.43, but it clicked when I read this post in notebook forums:

User Nightdex:

"Word of warning guys. If you update to this driver and you own an 880m and also want to over clock. Disable secure boot for good. Secure boot restricted slv's vbios for the 880m on my AW 17 with this particular driver. I went through a ball ache and a half to resolve the problem.

Edit: see my posts from last night in John's 880m review thread for more info. I ran some tests to show that I managed to get my 880m over clocking nicely again. I'll add more results as I go along."

Nvidia 340.43 Beta out now. - Page 2

So does look like 880M users can use the latest driver as long as secure boot is disabled.

Well, I agree they should just start making one double-capacity AC adapter, but it would need to be 600W or 650W. I exceed 500W all the time when benching my M18xR2 with 780M SLI, so that's not enough juice to get the job done. It would be MUCH smarter to just have one monster AC adapter for Clevo and Alienware SLI beasts. You could always have a second 330W AC adapter for travel if you wanted to.

My AW 18 780M SLI almost reaches the limit of 330W when full-loading without OC. I think that there will be higher capacity adapters in near future; and I'm really curious to see how Dell keep the mobility for a 600W adapter :D

So I got the modded vbios installed on my 780M, and it works fine and has fixed the throttling issue I was having, so thanks very much for that! :)

I have one problem though in that it seems to have modified the thermal targets for the fans on my machine. They seem to currently bit kiking up to high-speed at 87'c, which is a bit warm if you ask me. With the stock bios they come on to full blast around 75. I don't seem to have any option to set a manual fan speed profile through NVidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner. Is this something casued by the bios? Can anyone recommend a speed controller program which works with the Clevo P170SM chassis?

Great news. I hope this works as well for others, too. I've been ranting about the evils of Secure Boot for a while now. It's unfortunate that it took so little time to see an example of the kind of devastation this draconian pile of feces (Secure Boot) can cause. If the day ever comes that it cannot be disable, then we're all screwed.

I booted up today and I'm back to square one Mr. Fox. I've even reverted back to 337.88. As soon as I restart now. I lose the ability to over clock my memory and voltage. I'm done with all of this now. I'm getting rid of my AW 17. I'm going to put the money towards a 780ti SLI setup. I can't be doing with all of this messing around any more. I really don't understand how this latest driver could of killed my chances of over clocking. I've tried everything that's been suggested thus far. I think we're now at that brick wall. Thank you for all the help thus far brother Fox. I appreciate everything you have done for me.

Edit: Ok, so I've come to realise that this is some sort of intermittent problem now. Nvidia Inspector will allow me to change the voltage and memory clock every now and again. I mean, before I loaded it up after a restart, It wouldn't let me change anything other than my core clock. I then closed the program and booted up 3D Mark 11. I opened up NI again at this point. This time, it allowed me to change all settings. I decided to then close NI again, just to reopen it to check if the settings are still enabled. Boom, back to the brick wall. I have no idea what the problem is. What's odd, is that the NI will allow me change my core clock all the way up to just over 500+. It will only allow me set the core clock above 100+ with my stock vbios. So NI does realise that I have a modified vbios still. I just don't know why NI won't let me change the memory clock and voltage. Slv, any thoughts matey?

I've also got the same problem with MSI Afterburner. MSI doesn't even highlight the voltage settings, where as NI does sometimes. I've reflashed back to stock and then back to Slv's vbios around 6-7 times now.

Ah, so looks like the 880M issues with the latest 340.43 driver are not fixed then by disabling secure boot! I'm done following this issue and trying to summarise solutions found in different places on the net - there's just too many inconsistencies to be found in many different areas, especially as I don't have an 880M. I feel like I'm just adding to the confusion! ;-) Hopefully 880M problems will be fixed soon, and failing that new GPU's to be released around the corner!

Ah, so looks like the 880M issues with the latest 340.43 driver are not fixed then by disabling secure boot! I'm done following this issue and trying to summarise solutions found in different places on the net - there's just too many inconsistencies to be found in many different areas, especially as I don't have an 880M. I feel like I'm just adding to the confusion! ;-) Hopefully 880M problems will be fixed soon, and failing that new GPU's to be released around the corner!

Personally, I wouldn't put much faith in the next mobile GPU from Nvidia. If this is the kind of practice they use these days, then I'm out. I've not spent over 3k to just get stuck with a throttled intel 4600HD. I will try anything at this point to resolve my problem.

Personally, I wouldn't put much faith in the next mobile GPU from Nvidia. If this is the kind of practice they use these days, then I'm out. I've not spent over 3k to just get stuck with a throttled intel 4600HD. I will try anything at this point to resolve my problem.

Very frustrating for you I can imagine! I hope they don't put as many 'controls' on the next gen - part of me thinks NVidia are doing this to limit overclocking for 2 reasons: 1) to decrease failure rates & warranty claims 2) (in future) to make sure flagship GPU performance will not be achievable by overclocking of lower models, thereby creating more of a distinction between their models & potentially maximising their sales & profits of high end models. Hope some of these strange constraints aren't seen on next gen - especially in mid high end range. (I like the idea of buying mid high end models & overclocking them to stock flagship performance, hopefully that can be a possibility still in the next gen)

OK... it's time for NVIDIA fans, 880M owners and others to act... if you're pissed about what you're seeing and experiencing, head on over here (link below) to make some noise and show your support for comrades that are being screwed over with an expensive GPU that runs like crap! Everyone waited and waited for a vBIOS mod from @svl7 and @johnksss and kept quiet for way too long instead of screaming. A vBIOS mod is nice, but it should not be necessary for a 880M to function normally. The fact that it still doesn't is more than ample evidence that NVIDIA screwed something up in a big way. The time for being nice and patient about this is over now. Even if you don't have 880M, please chime in and help create a stir about this. NVIDIA needs to fix this, right now. Unless people start making a big stink about it they won't have any reason to. Tell them how much money you spent expecting something awesome and how disappointed you are in their failure. Then go start an RMA process. Even if the OEM that sold you a new machine with a defective product installed in it refuses to honor the RMA, if enough disgruntled customers start asking for their money back NVIDIA will hear from the vendors about it and it won't be a nice "Geforce Experience" for them. Move it guys... please.

Nvidia crippling the gtx 880ms with there new drivers (look for a nvidia response.

In case NVIDIA decides to delete my comment, here is what I posted:

There is no excuse for this kind of nonsense. This makes "Geforce Experience" a derrogatory term. They need to fix this, right now. This kind of malfunction from their top gun mobile graphics card is unacceptable. I haven't seen an example of a GTX 880M owner with a machine that functions correctly regardless of brand. NVIDIA needs to swifty release a critical firmware update and make it available for download on the drivers page to all GTX 880M owners or remove whatever kind of poison they added to their notebook drivers that is causing this. If I were an owner of a new laptop with GTX 880M I would have already started the RMA process by now. I cannot believe how long people have kept their mouths shut about this problem.

Here is some more ammunition in case anyone needs it...

So what... am I the only one with working 880Ms right now?

P13688 3DMark 11 - 340.43, stock clocks (I probably had some sort of loss too because I have dual display as I did this quickly but was watching something on VLC on the TV): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

9540 Firestrike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P377SM-A

At second blush, your 880M SLI setup still is not fixed. It's better than most, but still not right. Here's what my score looks like with my CPU and 780M SLI setup running at the same clock speeds. Close, yes... but one should expect more from the latest and greatest. I would not be satisfied if I were you. This is inexcusable.

3DMark11: Compare Working 780M SLI with Broken 880M SLI

113352d1403371353-just-got-my-880m-twins-880m-sucks.jpg

@Robbo, finally installed Prema Bios Mod and with Fn+1 shortcut found out the top speed of the GPU fan (3600RPM vs 2800 while gaming), so i guess i have so headroom available! Going to try the 680M vBios!

Still, any one know which one to use? Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 'OCedition' revised_01 or Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01? What are the differences? Is there any change log?

Follow up... c'mon guys... what does it take to get you folks pissed off enough to go to Geforce Community and start complaining? Do it for your friends that got screwed even if it does not affect you, please. Thanks!

My CPU doesn't run 3.9GHz,its 3.6GHz with an occasion jump to 3.7GHz but my point is that I'm not in Uber throttle with the latest drivers like everyone else seems to be.

The point still stands though that I'm not happy my 5k machine is performing slower than older parts though, definitely.

You're missing the point. My 780M SLI graphics score still stomps your 880M graphics score. The nice thing about 3DMark11 is that the CPU doesn't have a huge effect on the graphics score, and certainly not with a 300MHz difference. But, yeah... any Alienware or Clevo owner that spend $5K on a beast with 880M SLI has every reason to be dissatisfied. Your CPU is not running 3.9GHz because Haswell is broken. The fact that it registers at 3.9GHz before it gets put under load is just further evidence that Haswell sucks.

My Fire Strike score also beat yours with the same clock speeds. But, I think your system is the only example I have seen of a production machine with 880M that is close to working as it should. As they say, "Close, but no cigar." Newer and better needs to be newer and better... not almost as good.

Fire Strike: Compare Working 780M SLI with Broken 880M SLI

113356d1403373303-just-got-my-880m-twins-880m-sucks-2.jpg

Same thing is happening to me. I can oc the core and its a hit or miss if its going to work and even when it decides to only one of my cards has while the other stays stock.

I hope you find a solution matey, I really do.

Very frustrating for you I can imagine! I hope they don't put as many 'controls' on the next gen - part of me thinks NVidia are doing this to limit overclocking for 2 reasons: 1) to decrease failure rates & warranty claims 2) (in future) to make sure flagship GPU performance will not be achievable by overclocking of lower models, thereby creating more of a distinction between their models & potentially maximising their sales & profits of high end models. Hope some of these strange constraints aren't seen on next gen - especially in mid high end range. (I like the idea of buying mid high end models & overclocking them to stock flagship performance, hopefully that can be a possibility still in the next gen)

I place my bet on it being #2. I really doubt it costs Nvidia a lot to manufacture these GPU's.. So I doubt they even care about fulfilling warranty replacements/repairs. Bad business practice if you ask me.

Follow up... c'mon guys... what does it take to get you folks pissed off enough to go to Geforce Community and start complaining? Do it for your friends that got screwed even if it does not affect you, please. Thanks!

Ive already joined in have my thoughts. I'll add more as I go along. I'm still attempting to resolve my problem. Sick of wasting my time on little problems like these, just because Nvdia or Dell/Alienware feel that need to toy with things that are already fine.

I'm starting to wonder if this is somehow linked to secure boot like secure boot sets the flag... I've frozen my computer a bunch today overclocking to see if I can trigger it, I'm even on the 340 drivers, and nothing so far.

I know my machine came with secure boot enabled but when I flashed Prema bios, it was disabled and I didn't know so I've been running without it the whole time and I'm on a short list of people who aren't throttled.

I'm starting to wonder if this is somehow linked to secure boot like secure boot sets the flag... I've frozen my computer a bunch today overclocking to see if I can trigger it, I'm even on the 340 drivers, and nothing so far.

I know my machine came with secure boot enabled but when I flashed Prema bios, it was disabled and I didn't know so I've been running without it the whole time and I'm on a short list of people who aren't throttled.

If we can get someone on windows 7 to comment on the new driver. If those particular users still encounter the problem we face. I would say secure boot isn't causing the problem. Although, I would say without a shadow of a doubt, that Mr. Fox is indeed correct about the cancer that is "Secure Boot".

At this point. I'm willing to try anything to bring my 880m back to life with Slv's and John's vbios. I don't care if I even have to try multiple vbios flashes and driver installs. I really don't care as long as I find a solution to my problem. Failing that, I'm done. I'll sell and get a 780m.

If we can get someone on windows 7 to comment on the new driver. If those particular users still encounter the problem we face. I would say secure boot isn't causing the problem. Although, I would say without a shadow of a doubt, that Mr. Fox is indeed correct about the cancer that is "Secure Boot".

At this point. I'm willing to try anything to bring my 880m back to life with Slv's and John's vbios. I don't care if I even have to try multiple vbios flashes and driver installs. I really don't care as long as I find a solution to my problem. Failing that, I'm done. I'll sell and get a 780m.

Have you tried a Windows 7 install out of curiosity?

• Brian featured this topic