NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

can someone confirm that this 330W PSU from m18x fits into the new alienware 17 ?

Artikel Original Dell Netzteil ADP-330AB (XM3C3) PSU 330W
Artikelnummer 140394R
Marke Dell
Partnumber ADP-330AB (XM3C3)
Kompatible Part Nummern - XM3C3 - 0XM3C3 - DA330PM111 - ADP-330AB - Y90RR
Passend für folgende Modelle - Alienware X51 - Alienware M18x - Alienware M18x R2 - Alienware M18x R3 - Alienware M18x R4

Technische Informationen
Geräte-Typ Notebook-Netzteil
Eingangsspannung 100 - 240V 50 - 60HZ
Ausgangsspannung 19.5V 330W 16,9A

• Bios Modder

can someone confirm that this 330W PSU from m18x fits into the new alienware 17 ?

Artikel Original Dell Netzteil ADP-330AB (XM3C3) PSU 330W
Artikelnummer 140394R
Marke Dell
Partnumber ADP-330AB (XM3C3)
Kompatible Part Nummern - XM3C3 - 0XM3C3 - DA330PM111 - ADP-330AB - Y90RR
Passend für folgende Modelle - Alienware X51 - Alienware M18x - Alienware M18x R2 - Alienware M18x R3 - Alienware M18x R4
Technische Informationen
Geräte-Typ Notebook-Netzteil
Eingangsspannung 100 - 240V 50 - 60HZ
Ausgangsspannung 19.5V 330W 16,9A

You better ask about it in these threads: [url=http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/]Alienware[/url] [url=http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/]Alienware M17x / AW 17[/url]

Hi guys, quick question,

I have a Clevo P170EM with a 680M, it plays games just fine, but in some situations it could use the extra kick in performance to improve fps from the 40-50 range to 60+. I usually overclock it the maximum it allows in the core (stock bios) and be done with it. It runs flawlessly with some games pushing it to over 85º (currently with hot weather with AC trying to refrigerate the room) while other it hovers in 82º. I don´t know if the fan is already at max speed and can't seem to find that out, any software that can read this information accurately?

Having this temperatures in mind, is it safe to update the bios to Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01.zip? From what I've read, this will only unlock the core frequency, the same overclock should be safe and I can slowly try to push it forward?

Thank's for the support guys!

85 degC is kinda warm for a GPU, but at least by flashing a vBIOS that doesn't increase the voltage, then that's pretty safe I think, just work to keep it under 90 degC. As for working out max possible fan RPM I used a program called HWInfo64 to manually push both my CPU & GPU fan to it's limits, I then used the monitoring software in that same program to view what the fan RPM was at max forced RPM - this I concluded to be my max possible fan RPM. I then closed the program (and rebooted to be on the safe side) to make sure that normal fan control was restored to the system (ie no longer controlled by HWInfo64), and proceeded to monitor fan RPM when gaming. This enabled me to work out that I get max fan RPM on the GPU at 65 degC in my case for my laptop. Therefore, I knew I didn't need to implement any kind of extra fan control. You could use the same process to work out what your max fan RPM's are & how your system controls them in relation to GPU temperatures.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can someone tell me what has been modded ?? Which Specs Memory Clock and Core Clock for the 860M Kepler Variant ?

I'd be curious as well, anyone tried this vBIOS? Does it require modded drivers to install like the 780m version does? Also, anyone that's tried it on an MSI machine, does OpenGL still work properly? That was the reason I had to stop using Svet's vBIOS on my 780m equipped GT60.

• Bios Modder
I'd be curious as well, anyone tried this vBIOS? Does it require modded drivers to install like the 780m version does? Also, anyone that's tried it on an MSI machine, does OpenGL still work properly? That was the reason I had to stop using Svet's vBIOS on my 780m equipped GT60.

If you will use mod of your native vbios from MSI, then you dont need use modded drivers. And of course OpenGL still work properly. It is correct for all cards, include GTX 780M, 860M and other.

85 degC is kinda warm for a GPU, but at least by flashing a vBIOS that doesn't increase the voltage, then that's pretty safe I think, just work to keep it under 90 degC. As for working out max possible fan RPM I used a program called HWInfo64 to manually push both my CPU & GPU fan to it's limits, I then used the monitoring software in that same program to view what the fan RPM was at max forced RPM - this I concluded to be my max possible fan RPM. I then closed the program (and rebooted to be on the safe side) to make sure that normal fan control was restored to the system (ie no longer controlled by HWInfo64), and proceeded to monitor fan RPM when gaming. This enabled me to work out that I get max fan RPM on the GPU at 65 degC in my case for my laptop. Therefore, I knew I didn't need to implement any kind of extra fan control. You could use the same process to work out what your max fan RPM's are & how your system controls them in relation to GPU temperatures.

Thanks for the info. My Clevo wont allow me to max the fans using the Fn+F1 shortcut (disabled by Clevo in P170EM), and i can't seem to find any place that I can manually increase the fan in HWinfo64, will check better today after work. Any guides or alternatives (for now, not considering the Prema BIOS).

... Having this temperatures in mind, is it safe to update the bios to Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01.zip? From what I've read, this will only unlock the core frequency, the same overclock should be safe and I can slowly try to push it forward?

Thank's for the support guys!

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that 80.04.67.00.01 vbios is dedicated for SLI platforms.

nvflash -6 " bios name.rom "

there is a whole guide please read exactly the forum.

Thank you for the reply. I will read the docs. Quick question. Is there a way to backup my current bios in case I have to send the unit in for repair?

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that 80.04.67.00.01 vbios is dedicated for SLI platforms.

So I should use Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 or Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01? What are the differences (couldn't find this anywhere)?

Other question, from what I've read, after flashing the vbios, it is not necessary to use modded inf drivers right? The standard drivers will keep working?

hello im sorry this has probably been answered 100 times in other articles but you guys here actually read and answer this forum and you guys are my go to for answers so that being said i just ordered a new 120hz 3d display for my m17x r3 i have a gtx 780m i know the 3d wont work but will it be able to output the 120hz frame rate or will it still lock to 60hz?

hello im sorry this has probably been answered 100 times in other articles but you guys here actually read and answer this forum and you guys are my go to for answers so that being said i just ordered a new 120hz 3d display for my m17x r3 i have a gtx 780m i know the 3d wont work but will it be able to output the 120hz frame rate or will it still lock to 60hz?

Yep, you'll be good for 120Hz, but only if you disable the IGP (Intel Graphics Processor).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. My Clevo wont allow me to max the fans using the Fn+F1 shortcut (disabled by Clevo in P170EM), and i can't seem to find any place that I can manually increase the fan in HWinfo64, will check better today after work. Any guides or alternatives (for now, not considering the Prema BIOS).

Google how to manually set fans in HWInfo64, they'll be loads of info.

Yep, you'll be good for 120Hz, but only if you disable the IGP (Intel Graphics Processor).

- - - Updated - - -

Google how to manually set fans in HWInfo64, they'll be loads of info.

yea i have it set up correctly its running like a charm i just cracked the annoying plastic cover of the lcd when i was trying to remove dust that got behind it and odd enough the 3d display and the standard 1080p display are the same price on ebay so why not get the extra frames since i dont have a problem running anything i play at 60.

Where to start..

Firstly, thank you very much for the 880m vbios Slv. I really appreciate it matey.

Secondly, I've been running with the modified 880m vbios for the past week fine. Then last night, I decided to install the latest Nvidia beta driver. Boy was I an idiot for doing this. Somehow, I lost the ability to overclock my memory and voltage in EVGA and Nvidia Inspector. So anyway, I reverted back to my previous driver which worked fine alongside Slv's vbios for the 880m. This didn't fix my issue. So since then, I have flashed back to my stock vbios. This's where my problem begins. I've attempted to flash Slv's vbios back to my 880m. However, I'm now getting ID missmatch. I've tried the nvflash -6 filename.rom. My command is - nvflash -6 cus.rom. I typed YES in caps when prompted. However, Nvflash comes up with (ERROR I.D MISSMATCH) still. I never had this problem until now. Any help with this, would be highly appreciated.

Sorry guys. I know this's not a good way to start off on a forum.

I did the same thing and also noticed I can not oc the mem or core after reverting back. I have not went back to stock vbios though. Are you having throttling issues still with stock and can you oc now?

So you were able to OC on the 340 but not on the old drivers now?

I'm on 340 and can overclock just fine (although watch Dogs crashes with my previously stable overclock) but I was going to downgrade... If that's breaking overclocking altogether, I'm going to stay with 340...

Boy nVidia really wants to become the new AMD don't they?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah it was only when I went back that OC became broke. It allows me to change the clocks but nothing happens when I do now. The new beta driver was causing my gpu usage to throttle around 60% even though my core was at full. I was getting just over half the fps I was before. Now going back things seem to be running like they should and I don't oc anyway so not a big deal, I tested what the other guy was saying and it seems to be true. I can oc everything to the max hit apply and play a game like nothing happen.

I have the AW 18 with a 4910 @ 4.1 and dual 880m's so I don't have a single Mhz to spare. I just wanted to confirm that what that gentleman was saying was indeed true. I think there is something that is just off with the stock bios and the modded one as well. I have noticed things since flashing that have concerned me that I didn't have an issue with with the stock though. Sometimes my temps run away while gaming and after a restart I can play for hours on the same game without the same issue. With stock vbios I was gaming around 75c and never had a huge throttling issue after the A07 Bios only in benchmarks. Now I am hitting 90+c in certain demanding games and a re-paste with diamond did nothing to change it. I am starting to think that while higher benchmarks are nice to look at, I don't know that this extra heat is worth a few extra fps in a real game. If I am playing a game that needs 98% cpu use then I need a dual 140mm cooling pad to stay at 80c. If I play without a cooling pad then it sounds like my laptop is going to take off and the temps do just that. I miss my oc 680m that ran 65c max. The 780 in my AW 17 was a hot little prick to but not this hot. I keep my laptop in my basement office that is around 66F on this cooler so that tells you something. Second thing I noticed is I have to disable shadowplay in my startup or the gpu's stay at max speed. While not a big deal it has been know to get stuck and the internet also brings the gpu's to max Mhz as well which I am not sure is needed. I don't think I will go back to stock but wait for a revised 880m bios and see what the future drivers have in store. The new beta though is just terrible and halves my cards on all games although benchmarks are only 5 - 10% slower. I would be curious if the new beta driver cripples a 880m on stock bios as well.

All credit goes to Mr. Fox for this one but try disabling secure boot. It apparently fixed all the issues that were plaguing another user. I'm on my phone or I'd link you to the post on NBR. I'm going to disable secure boot myself.

As for temps, adjust your target down to 87C. It won't have a huge impact on performance for most situations but can shave off a few degrees. I'm not happy with my temps either and I repasted so many times that I stripped my screws and had to order new ones. Heat is just going to be there I guess unless I get the balls to try Liquid Ultra.

Yeah never had secure boot on and don't use it. I did have legacy on as well but turned it off because I don't like to see the credits screen on boot up that came with the modded vbios. I really do appreciate the modded vbios but wish there was a donation option for leaving out an extra screen on bootup with these credits, hint hint.

I thought I had secure boot on and I just checked to disable it and it's gone. I guess that Prema disabled it on the modded bios out of the box. I don't mind Prema having the boot logo but I did notice the legacy boot tattle tale from the vbios lol

• Brian featured this topic