NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Installing the 327.23 driver fixed the problem, but as soon as I reinstall 337.88 the problem occurs again, that means I can't keep my GPU up to date which is a definite no go for me.

Is there any way to fix the problem permantly so I can use the up to date driver again?

(if I can't, I may have to call Alienware for a replacement, because you can't do anything without these performances, and without new driver updates I can't get new SLI profiles and new optimizations)

In fact the 327.23 driver will not allow me to switch the 880M to SLI mode at all.

Did you run any benches and if you did what were your scores?

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

Installing the 327.23 driver fixed the problem, but as soon as I reinstall 337.88 the problem occurs again, that means I can't keep my GPU up to date which is a definite no go for me.

Is there any way to fix the problem permantly so I can use the up to date driver again?

(if I can't, I may have to call Alienware for a replacement, because you can't do anything without these performances, and without new driver updates I can't get new SLI profiles and new optimizations)

In fact the 327.23 driver will not allow me to switch the 880M to SLI mode at all.

Your previous scores with 337.88 (windows updates?) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT

- Check temps.

- Try increasing voltage offset 25mV-37mV, stock clocks.

SLI try this

nvdmn.inf_v327.23_AW18_880M.zip

Your previous scores with 337.88 (windows updates?) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT

- Check temps.

- Try increasing voltage offset 25mV-37mV, stock clocks.

SLI try this

Nothing to do with temp/voltage, I am using stock vbios and it fails as soon as the driver is updated. It looks like the driver checks for some flag on the gpu and if set, will act severely underpowered. In fact, on this behavior, the temps never go above 70°

In fact, as soon as I update the driver, the perfcap kicks in in the sensors on GPU-Z

post-7609-14494997771027_thumb.jpg

By the way that INF still doesn't allow SLI, I think the driver itself isn't compatible with 880M SLI configurations.

post-7609-1449499777118_thumb.jpg

That's what it looks like under load with the new driver and stock vbios. There is no way I can keep using the Alienware like this.

This is a very good question you ask, and I'm curious to see if svl7 and the others know the answer to this. This is a problem that they saw when they reviewed the 880M with the modified vBIOS - after a bunch of crashes the GPU will then perform poorly. The review hinted that it was possible to undo these problems (a long & complicated process it was mentioned), so I'm interested to hear what that process is. Hopefully you'll get a response soon.

This is where the problem was reported by the designers of this vBIOS:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/746259-my-nvidia-gtx-880m-test-run-review.html

This is what Johnksss says about halfway through his review that pertains to your problem (as it seems to me):

"It seems that after a few driver not responding errors or driver crash errors your 900.00 dollar card wants to now run like an intel 4k GPU. Even stock will not work correctly anymore. You have to go through a whole lot to correct this situation"

It's not actually explained what that process is though. From some previous discussions in this thread it was partly thought that a Windows reinstall might be the answer, with maybe these driver crashes causing entries into the Windows registry that can be undone by reinstalling the OS. I have no idea if this is the answer though, I hope you get a response.

@svl7, is this a known quirk with your modified vBIOS/stock vBIOS? I'm referring to the problem that Johnksss mentioned, and also that seems to be the problem with Mathieulh's, do you know what the reset process is that Johnksss refers to?

it would be VERY interesting to know if that what Robbo just wrote is indeed a possibility.

cause from the looks of it, its the exact same problem i am running into with my 880M which, even at stock clocks, can´t run stable without throttle (although temps are more than fine).

The throttle that appears only after a driver crash is something that gets set in the registry, clean it manually, try a driver cleaner or make a fresh Windows installation.

I have tried a system restore. It didn't work. Do you know what registry value gets set?

Good question there too. Did you try a program called Display Driver uninstaller yet? Here it is:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 12.7.1.0

Maybe it's worth trying CCleaner too, the registry cleaning part.

Like you, I'm also surprised that System Restore didn't work, if it's the Window's registry that gets changed.

Ok, I have an update to my situation. I inserted back the original HDD supplied with my alienware to boot into an untouched Windows and the GPUs worked fine again, so it does look like a registry value is set somewhere. I guess it's time for me to reinstall windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Good question there too. Did you try a program called Display Driver uninstaller yet? Here it is:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 12.7.1.0

Maybe it's worth trying CCleaner too, the registry cleaning part.

Like you, I'm also surprised that System Restore didn't work, if it's the Window's registry that gets changed.

Yes I tried the display driver uninstaller, I tried rstrui too, no dice on those

UPDATE : It doesn't seem to be registry related, I put my SSD back and the behaviour was fixed even without changing any setting in the driver/registry on my end !

Perhaps it needs the battery + AC disconnected to reset some values in the GPU.

Looks a lot better now : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3214082? (this is at stock VBIOS.)

I am going to reflash the modded VBIOS, however as long as we don't know for sure how to fix that behavior, I am not messing with OC on these GPUs again.

Score with modded VBIOS: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3214151?

I am guessing the artificial underperformance stays until you fully cut power to the card (probably something like AC disconnected + battery disconnected + Computer discharged + wait something like 30 seconds)

I won't be replicating this scenario to verify this though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, I have an update to my situation. I inserted back the original HDD supplied with my alienware to boot into an untouched Windows and the GPUs worked fine again, so it does look like a registry value is set somewhere. I guess it's time for me to reinstall windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I tried the display driver uninstaller, I tried rstrui too, no dice on those

UPDATE : It doesn't seem to be register related, I put my SSD back and the behaviour was fixed even without changing any setting in the driver/registry on my end !

Looks a lot better now : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT (this is at stock VBIOS.)

I am going to reflash the modded VBIOS, however as long as we don't know for sure how to fix that behavior, I am not messing with OC on these GPUs again.

Score with modded VBIOS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT

I am guessing the artificial underperformance stays until you fully cut power to the card (probably something like AC disconnected + battery disconnected + Computer discharged + wait something like 30 seconds)

@Prema, @J95, @svl7, any thoughts on how this procedure 'reset' the GPU's back to non-throttle behaviour? Any ideas if there's a simpler shortcut method?

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE : It doesn't seem to be register related, I put my SSD back and the behaviour was fixed even without changing any setting in the driver/registry on my end !

Looks a lot better now : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3214082? (this is at stock VBIOS.)

Score with modded VBIOS: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3214151?

Excellent!

I really appreciate the follow up on this. :)

Too many times people ask questions, get what they need and leave no feedback.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the M18X R1, and lock me in 3DMark tests, and during games is giving a'' blink'' summarizing for M18X R1 was not cool, do not know if improved performance because I can not finish any of 3DMark test I ended up re-place the original Bios, if you do not help with anything my story, tired of folks here help me i guess = /

I have the M18X R1, and lock me in 3DMark tests, and during games is giving a'' blink'' summarizing for M18X R1 was not cool, do not know if improved performance because I can not finish any of 3DMark test I ended up re-place the original Bios, if you do not help with anything my story, tired of folks here help me i guess = /

Try installing the 327.23 driver and tell us if your performances are still bad.

My problem is that when trying to make tests in 3DMark, using eg CLOUD GATE, it passes the initial tests 2 and when you go to test'' physical'' one in which the ship crosses the screen, the test crashes and error (sometimes barely shows the picture and now gives error, sometimes not even that), now in firestrike test or open the test and now gives error, giving us games is a bug in the image, as if the driver lost sync and recovered, giving a mini-fought, shit, I've tried several tips and nothing works, then I put the original BIOS and goes like a charm

My problem is that when trying to make tests in 3DMark, using eg CLOUD GATE, it passes the initial tests 2 and when you go to test'' physical'' one in which the ship crosses the screen, the test crashes and error (sometimes barely shows the picture and now gives error, sometimes not even that), now in firestrike test or open the test and now gives error, giving us games is a bug in the image, as if the driver lost sync and recovered, giving a mini-fought, shit, I've tried several tips and nothing works, then I put the original BIOS and goes like a charm

That's odd, the physics test barely uses the GPU (it's actually a CPU test !)

Make sure you disable any CPU OC while testing, this problem is definitely weird.

My guess is, try to contact svl7 for further testings and meanwhile keep using the stock VBIOS, the GPU does not behave that bad using the stock VBIOS anyway, especially not in SLI.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE : It doesn't seem to be registry related, I put my SSD back and the behaviour was fixed even without changing any setting in the driver/registry on my end !

Looks a lot better now : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT (this is at stock VBIOS.)

Score with modded VBIOS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 0FT9KT

Try DDU v12.9.3.2 (safe mode) instead of 'Clean and restart' select 'Clean and shutdown' (new graphics card / no rescan) even not related to "probably something like AC disconnected + battery disconnected + Computer discharged + wait something like 30 seconds"

Reporting this to Wagnard/author might be useful https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/geforce-drivers/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v12-8-0-released-05-15-14-/

Try DDU v12.9.3.2 (safe mode) instead of 'Clean and restart' select 'Clean and shutdown' (new graphics card / no rescan).

Reporting this to Wagnard/author (Nvidia Beta Program member) might be useful https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/geforce-drivers/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v12-8-0-released-05-15-14-/

The issue is solved, it's NOT anything to do with a value on the system, the driver actually sets a flag in the GPU and checks for it, if the flag is there, the driver will make damn sure the GPU throttles.

No matter how many times you uninstall reinstall the driver, windows or whatever else, as long as the driver is recent enough to check the flag, it will throttle if it's set on your GPU.

It's actually a nvidia "feature" that is meant to cripple your GPU performances if they believe you are trying to overclock it.

See my post here for more info: Just got my 880M twins! - Page 42

• Thumbs Up 2

• Brian featured this topic