NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

so even if my cpu run at 1.155 static voltage it doesnt help to up the gpu voltage? lol...

btw i just got a problem when i plugout my PSU and start the laptop it crashes in windows and asking me to change to my iGPU which i dont have due to 120HZ Display...and after 5 sec and some flickers to black screeen it just freeze... i can see the mouse only but nothing works.. i shutdown and put the psu and all work again.

i save the original bios with gpu z am i able to flash it back or will that brick the card

3D Mark 11 score

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 04WT2G

3D MARK score

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 04WT2G

You should be able to use the VBIOS dumped from GPU-Z just fine (GPU-Z simply uses the windows version of nvflash in the background to perform the dump).

About the battery issue, try to disable the overclocks on the GPU and see if the problem still happens.

I haven't tried the modded VBIOS on battery yet, I'll try tonight to see if the same problem occurs to me.

You should be able to use the VBIOS dumped from GPU-Z just fine (GPU-Z simply uses the windows version of nvflash in the background to perform the dump).

About the battery issue, try to disable the overclocks on the GPU and see if the problem still happens.

I haven't tried the modded VBIOS on battery yet, I'll try tonight to see if the same problem occurs to me.

yea try that, i am not going to flash the dumped vbios from gpu z until svl7 confirm it.

I am pretty sure the issue is because of my 120Hz display.

this is my score right now.

its crashing on 3d mark tho...screen goes blue and freeze on the last Test run after 5 second laptop shutdown.

Hello, I have some questions. I have a Sager NP9370 (Clevo P370EM) with a Dual GTX 680M SLi 4GB and want to "flash" it, my questions are:

1. If I flash the GPUs, will I be able to normally update it using the Drivers from Nvidia site?

2. The only way to go back to normal is doing a backup of the default files and putting it in a secure local? I mean, if I lose it, I'm in serious problems, right?

I think is only that for now.

Thanks!

---

I have one question:

If I flash my 680M SLi, will I be able to update the drivers normally using the Nvidia site?

Is there anyone else there who has M18X R1 with GTX880M 8GB using the new VBIOS?

Is it just me or am I having problems?

It is not possible .. I've done:

Uninstall the drivers with DDU (the latest)

Install the VBIOS

driver to respond both in games and in 3DMark.

I've tried with no CPU overclocking

Have tried with overclocked CPU

I have tried to download the GPU clock

I've tried older drivers

I've tried the version not steam 3DMark

I await someone who can help me doing a walkthrough of how to install the video drivers and / or having any suggestions ....

My birthday is today, someone gave me a gift.

Thanks to all

So you can not run 1 880m without crashing on mvbios? But you can on stock vbios? And if so, what was the score?

What was the oldest driver you tried?

Max GPU temp was 93c.

That is the issue I have been fighting.

Right now I am running stock clocks and 950mv. I (very crudely)cut out the bottom panel GPU air intake and added some low density foam to the panel. This isolated the air intake from the rest of the machine. This actually works very well. I see a 5c drop in temps just from the foam mod. Running at -50mv is big help too.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

That is the issue I have been fighting.

Right now I am running stock clocks and 950mv. I (very crudely)cut out the bottom panel GPU air intake and added some low density foam to the panel. This isolated the air intake from the rest of the machine. This actually works very well. I see a 5c drop in temps just from the foam mod. Running at -50mv is big help too.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

I can manage my 870m at 86c~87c with a base cooler and fn+1, i think it safe. Core Clock 1100, Memory 3000 and v1.050.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4900MQ,Notebook P15SM-A/SM1-A

Hey, so I have an ASUS G75VX and I've seen on multiple posts that the vBIOS has been unlocked, but all the links are dead / removed cause apparently the poster would rather not provide the link instead of just posting a disclaimer warning people to not use it if they don't know how to use it properly.

Any ways, on top of getting the modified 88kb vBIOS file, I would also like to know how to unlock the system BIOS.

I already have dumped the BIOS using FTK, but only the 32bit version while booted into MS-DOS, I found out through another post that I could also dump it using fptw64 and that dumped it as a .bin file, does .rom and .bin matter?

Currently, using the 32 bit fptw under MS-DOS does give successful flashing, however I am not able to see the extra clock speeds in any program, I'm still locked to +135 on the GPU and +1000 on the memory.

Am I able to flash the BIOS using the 64 bit fptw within windows? I know it's risky, but I'll make sure my battery is plugged in and I'll duct tape the charger to the port lol

After getting an unlocked vBIOS, i would also like to know how to unlock the system bios. Again, working with the dumped rom file with the 32 bit fptw inside MS-DOS, I am able to open the .rom file inside AMIBCP and change settings from Default to USER. Is this all I need to do? Just the settings I want? Cause I've done this and I'm still not able to get extra options. I fell maybe that either the version of fptw or the 32 bit version under MS-DOS is causing this problem, which is why I want to flash within windows with the 64 bit version. I want EVERY single option available. Do I really need to go through all the options within AMIBCP or is there something I can hex edit lol

Thank you all for your time.

Flashed my 880m's to SVL7's vbios last night.

Thanks for all the work. It's greatly appreciated.

I feel there's something still hindering me though. Even very minor adjustments to core/memory are resulting in full system crashes when I try to OC. I thought even with stock bios you should be able to do Core +135/Memory +500, no? My performance is still very good stock, but I thought I could at least get some more oomph with the unlocked vbios.

I was reaching 90c running Firestrike and close to that running Mechwarrior Online.

After cutting out the GPU air inlet and adding the foam to isolate the air in the laptop case from the outside air, I am able to run stock GPU clock (993MHz), +450 memory clock (2950MHz), -50mv (950mv) on the GPU and I am getting 75c on the GPU.

I like that.

My Firestrike score at those settings is 5929

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4900MQ,Notebook P17SM-A

75c-50mv2950mem993cpu_zpsab3afbd3.jpg

FS5929_zps612ad1bf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Flashed my 880m's to SVL7's vbios last night.

Thanks for all the work. It's greatly appreciated.

I feel there's something still hindering me though. Even very minor adjustments to core/memory are resulting in full system crashes when I try to OC. I thought even with stock bios you should be able to do Core +135/Memory +500, no? My performance is still very good stock, but I thought I could at least get some more oomph with the unlocked vbios.

I can't go +500 memory without crashing the driver. +135MHz on the GPU isn't a given without some voltage (and the associated heat). At least this is what I am seeing on my system.

- - - Updated - - -

At stock clock, my gpu hardly reach 80c, it reach that temperature only gaming demanding games like Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs.

What system are you running?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't go +500 memory without crashing the driver. +135MHz on the GPU isn't a given without some voltage (and the associated heat). At least this is what I am seeing on my system.

- - - Updated - - -

What system are you running?

Windows 8.1, what about you?

What voltage increments would you recommend I test at? It seems like even adjusting by .005mv at a time is incredibly volatile for me.

What voltage increments would you recommend I test at?

I was going 25mv at a time. I am not an expert... the most I went was 1100mv. I was just producing more heat which was slowing the card down so it wasn't helping beyond that.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 8.1, what about you?

Win 7 Pro

I was referring to hardware. I looked back and saw a 870M, but what laptop are you running it in? (Might help to add your setup to your signature.) :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I was reaching 90c running Firestrike and close to that running Mechwarrior Online.

After cutting out the GPU air inlet and adding the foam to isolate the air in the laptop case from the outside air, I am able to run stock GPU clock (993MHz), +450 memory clock (2950MHz), -50mv on the GPU and I am getting 75c on the GPU.

I like that.

My Firestrike score at those settings is 5929

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4900MQ,Notebook P17SM-A

75c-50mv2950mem993cpu_zpsab3afbd3.jpg

FS5929_zps612ad1bf.jpg

All I have to say is you got one seriously nice card... Mine won't UV below -12.5 with all stock clocks (-25 freezes as soon as 3DMark 11 starts) but I won't complain because that small undervolt dropped my temps back into the high 80s without having to drop the clocks.

I haven't tried testing each card individually but setting both at -12.5 is stable, -25 is unstable.

All I have to say is you got one seriously nice card... Mine won't UV below -12.5 with all stock clocks (-25 freezes as soon as 3DMark 11 starts) but I won't complain because that small undervolt dropped my temps back into the high 80s without having to drop the clocks.

I haven't tried testing each card individually but setting both at -12.5 is stable, -25 is unstable.

I am pretty happy with it so far. It runs my games very well on high settings.

Just to clarify, when I said -50mv on the GPU that is with svl7's modded bios. This is 1000mv to start so I am sitting at 950mv. I edited my post above for clarity.

I am pretty happy with it so far. It runs my games very well on high settings.

Just to clarify, when I said -50mv on the GPU that is with svl7's modded bios. This is 1000mv to start so I am sitting at 950mv. I edited my post above for clarity.

I am using his modded vBIOS as well. Silicon lottery screwed me on these... -_-

29ve8w6.png

I did manage the 450MHz memory overclock though, nice boost.

I am using his modded vBIOS as well. Silicon lottery screwed me on these... -_-

29ve8w6.png

I did manage the 450MHz memory overclock though, nice boost.

Yep, it is a nice boost. The way I see it, the 880M got a GPU overclock and the memory stayed where it is. If you look at it like that, you got a better binned GPU (running at 993MHz) and better RAM (according to Johnksss), so the natural thing would be to OC the RAM since the GPU is overclocked out of the box (once the vBIOS is unbroken).

I might be looking at this from the wrong perspective, but that's how I see it at the moment.

Yep, it is a nice boost. The way I see it, the 880M got a GPU overclock and the memory stayed where it is. If you look at it like that, you got a better binned GPU (running at 993MHz) and better RAM (according to Johnksss), so the natural thing would be to OC the RAM since the GPU is overclocked out of the box (once the vBIOS is unbroken).

I might be looking at this from the wrong perspective, but that's how I see it at the moment.

Yeah I'm not complaining. The heat is not fun though. I didn't use Inspector on the stock vBIOS so I don't know if the temperature target in 92C from the factory or not but even high 80s is a bit much in my opinion.

At the same time though, I was doing some comparisons between the 880M SLI and a single desktop 780 Ti or Titan card and the 880M SLI actually has the leg up on both cards a good bit of the time which is impressive given the limited power and cooling in a mobile graphics chip. I wouldn't worry about it if it didn't make the fans sound like a whining, dying animal... Its a creepy sound when these go on full blast LOL! Of course, I'm worried about long term damage as well but I've seen worse come out of nVidia so who knows.

• Brian featured this topic