NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hey guys, was curious, tried searching but didn't come back with any results: Does anybody else have issues with the 780m vbios here breaking OpenGL support? With the factory MSI vbios, I have full OpenGL 4.4 support, but with the tech inferno vbios I lose all hardware OpenGL support and the system reverts back to the GDI software renderer with 1.1.

Anybody else run into this? I have tried about 4 different drivers ranging from the latest Beta's to the last 3 WQHL's... same result for each driver.

I know OpenGL isn't often used, but some of the programs I run still require it so this was a deal breaker.

Just came across this post. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? Especially Clevo and AW users? Might be MSI specific...

My 880M always throttled at stock clocks. VERY frustrating. Now it doesn't throttle at stock clocks.

3DM11 scores

Stock Clevo vBIOS:

P8372, Graphics Score 8595

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4900MQ,Notebook P17SM-A

Highest overclock with stock vBIOS

+70 core, +470 memory

P8940, Graphics Score 9348

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4900MQ,Notebook P17SM-A

At +80 on the core it would always crash on the above test.

svl7 OC vBIOS:

P8498, Graphics Score 8836

For comparison I will run the card at the highest clocks I could manage with the stock vBIOS

+70 core, +470 memory

P9102, Graphics Score 9656

Now I am running at +100 cor, +0 memory. The first run crashed so I bumped the voltage to 1.050v and it completed just fine. The core is getting hot. I reached 90c during this test.

+100 core, +0 memory, +50mv core (1.050v)

P8963, Graphics Score 9482

Let's try this again with a memory speed bump.

+100 core, +470 memory, +50mv core (1.050v)

P9155, Graphics Score 9834

But... the core reached 93c this time around. I think I am done.

Thank you so much svl7 and Johnksss for "unbreaking" our GTX 880M graphics cards!

EDIT:

Firestrike score

+100 core, +470 memory, +50mv core (1.050v)

6185, Graphics Score 7019

Peak of 85c on the core, not too bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ordered an MSI 880M from upgrademonkey for my AW 17. Will flash svl7 VBIOS the moment I put it in the laptop. Will report back on performance. From what I've read so far from the 780M if gaming is only my concern it should be all good :)

WOW! Those are some seriously impressive numbers!

I think that my 880Ms are duds unfortunately. With stock vBIOS, I can't overclock at all or I get a black screen. When my MX-4 gets here Tuesday and I repaste, I'll look at flashing the vBIOS and see what happens but I'm guessing my cards won't see much improvement without a voltage bump.

after i flash moded 880m vbios,

my laptop doesnt identify 880m,

how do i solve this problem?

Can you explain this a bit more detailed?

What was your original vbios version?

@deadsmiley, they're some good consistent results your seeing now! Looks like you're limited a little by the temperature though, but you're right to want to keep it below 90 degC I think for GPU longevity.

Yep. I am just seeing what it can do. I repasted last night. The ICD compound had hardened and was difficult to remove.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

I have yet to flash but was curious about my score. Am I lower then to be expected for dual 880's. Also once I flash will this have a big impact on gaming performance.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 01W2J2

Nah you're not too bad. See mine in my Clevo for comparison

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8351189

I have 32GB of RAM though which may be lowering my benches a bit but you're not looking bad at all compared to my 4940MX system.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Gotta ask again please guys. Obviously with an upgrade I will have to repaste everything, the heatsink and the card. Now when I opened the 780M on my AW17 the copper plate was COVERED in CAKED grease like thin creme brulee (the copper was barely visible at all) and the GPU die was in a similar state (except the black square ring surrounding it). Took a while to clean everything off. Now with my new 880M and svl7 VBIOS should I do the same as the factory setup or just the standard 'grain of rice' glob right in the middle of the die? I have some AC MX-3 left from the good ol' PS3 YLOD day, will that make the cut? Thanks a lot :)

Yay! I don't even have 880M and I'm already excited for everyone else. Hopefully, everyone that takes advantage of this gigantic favor you and @johnksss did for them will express their appreciation by using your donation link.

I re ran it and score even higher with just a small +50 bump to the core and +250 on the mem. Scored much higher this time. Weird thing is after all the game benchmarks I ran both gpus stayed at 1044Mhz the whole time and only 3dmark11 is causing these throttling issues.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx,Alienware 01W2J2

[h=1]P13234[/h]

Obviously with an upgrade I will have to repaste everything, the heatsink and the card. Now when I opened the 780M on my AW17 the copper plate was COVERED in CAKED grease like thin creme brulee (the copper was barely visible at all) and the GPU die was in a similar state (except the black square ring surrounding it). Took a while to clean everything off. Now with my new 880M and svl7 VBIOS should I do the same as the factory setup or just the standard 'grain of rice' glob right in the middle of the die?

Not sure what you exactly mean, but - just clean it all off, then apply fresh paste. Done. Use some rubbing alcohol or similar for cleaning and it's all off in seconds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol sorry I meant HOW MUCH thermal paste should be applied that's all. Cause the guide on TI advised using a tiny amount, whilst the factory practically smothered the GPU in their paste. With an unshackled card thanks to your mod I gotta be aware of the temperature :)

A small amount will suffice. The paste is simply there to make sure there's no air between the die and the heatsink since air is a terrible thermal conductor. The "grain of rice" size comparison isn't too bad imo. In the end you just don't want to have no air in there. It really doesn't need a lot of volume, after all there should be no almost no air gap between die and heatsink anyway. If there is, then your heatsink is not planar.

You can test it easily with if you have two pieces of glass, e.g. microscope slides or whatever, put some paste on one of it, then press the other on it... then you'll see how far a relatively tiny amount will spread.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hello, first thank you for this modded vbios

I have a 880m and my current windows is windows 7 64 bits. My laptop is Alienware mx17 R4, original graphic card was 660m.

This modded driver didn't works for me, when I use the latest nvidia driver 337.88, when I open windows, the driver crash several times and after 3 or 4 times, the screen freeze, I must forced to turn off the laptop by pressing the on/off button.

Any idea of the problem ?

I have no trouble with the stock vbios,always just the hard throttle like in the johnksss thread : My Nvidia GTX 880M Test Run Review

Hello , so need to know something before I attempt flashing my dual 880m arriving tomorrow.

On regards to some users saying that the their cards are not recognized after the vbios flash , I assume this means they bricked the cards .

Does this mean they have done something wrong during the process or it's by nature that some vbios flash works and rarely some doesn't..even if all steps where done correctly ?

scares the shit out of me trying to flash my cards especially after what happened with ethrem.

and add to that I never done it before but I do realize its essential if I want the cards to work properly.

WOW! Those are some seriously impressive numbers!

I think that my 880Ms are duds unfortunately. With stock vBIOS, I can't overclock at all or I get a black screen. When my MX-4 gets here Tuesday and I repaste, I'll look at flashing the vBIOS and see what happens but I'm guessing my cards won't see much improvement without a voltage bump.

I could only get about +50MHz on the GPU before I flashed. The card would crash and reset the driver. Then I pushed voltage up and got so much throttle that it would run slower than at stock settings which was counter productive. The card no longer throttles with the modded vbios and runs games very well at stock clocks. Right now I am just trying to control heat. I am thinking that for everyday use stock clocks are going to be it for me.

Hi svl7

When I flash your moded vbios,in device manager/display adapter,gtx 880M can't be identified.

it became to "Standard VGA Graphic Adapter".

Is this because the moded vbios is dell version?

I just use the moded INF from Laptopvideo2go,so i can install the driver 337.88.

here is benchmark after I flash moded vbios

post-6915-14494997751498_thumb.png

here is with the original msi vbios

post-6915-14494997753376_thumb.png

After flash the moded vbios it is not throttling,

but compare to original vbios, 3dmark 11 it just got +500 at stock.

is this normail?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi svl7

When I flash your moded vbios,in device manager/display adapter,gtx 880M can't be identified.

I just use the moded INF from Laptopvideo2go,so i can install the driver 337.88.

post-6915-14494997751498_thumb.png

post-6915-14494997753376_thumb.png

is this normail?

BTW,here is my original MSI vbios.

backup.zip

Hi svl7

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11773[/ATTACH]

is this normail?

This is my 2 cents:

The GPU graph tells the tale here. Your GPU isn't throttling, it is performing as it should have been from the factory. That is a good score and what you should expect from stock clocks with the modded vbios. Your temps are better than mine. I see 85c or more during 3DMark 11.

Hi svl7

is this normail?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi svl7

is this normail?

Short answer, no. you are a bit off of what a possible stock number should be, but of course this shows in my review of where should be at stock. Or basically with in 200 points.

Sorry, no real explanation for why you are not getting near those numbers.

Short answer, no. you are a bit off of what a possible stock number should be, but of course this shows in my review of where should be at stock. Or basically with in 200 points.

Sorry, no real explanation for why you are not getting near those numbers.

After I read your post I went back and looked at what you did. You definitely did better in your 880M trial. However, all things aren't equal. Overclocked I was pulling close to 240w from the wall on my 230w PSU. Doesn't really matter in my case as I am limited by my thermals anyway.

• Brian featured this topic