NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

I think I posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Am I correct in understanding that I would flash the modded dell vbios even though it is installed in a hp system? I obtained a dell card.

If you have a Dell card, just install it in the HP, it should work directly. Then flash the Dell bios to unlock OC limits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know if its possible to have a bios built based on the latest clevo on the forum (.67) @ 1.025v with base clocks of 980/1125 (4.5ghz effective) basically a ~660ti preformance bios?

Hi all. Quick question: I purchased a GTX 680m on Ebay that said it was the 2gb version. When I got it, it turns out to be the 4gb version, BONUS. ;-)

However, in GPUZ, the vendor says "Dell (1028)", BUT the bios version says it's "80.04.33.00.24", which according to the mod bios list on the first page of this thread is an MSI bios????

So if I was to try one of those modded bios, which one should I choose? And the original post mentions the GTX 680m 2gb bios, but not the 4gb. Would a the bios be the same for both version?

Thanx

Hi all. Quick question: I purchased a GTX 680m on Ebay that said it was the 2gb version. When I got it, it turns out to be the 4gb version, BONUS. ;-)

However, in GPUZ, the vendor says "Dell (1028)", BUT the bios version says it's "80.04.33.00.24", which according to the mod bios list on the first page of this thread is an MSI bios????

So if I was to try one of those modded bios, which one should I choose? And the original post mentions the GTX 680m 2gb bios, but not the 4gb. Would a the bios be the same for both version?

Thanx

GPUz says Dell (1028) because you have a Dell or Alienware laptop, and GPUz will always report it as such regardless of whether it's an MSI/Clevo/or Dell card. (It reads the 'slot info' - [made up term!], not the GPU itself). You definitely need to flash a 4GB version of the 680M (not a 2GB version). I would flash one of the 4 MSI vBIOS's if your card is working fine at the moment in your laptop - that way you're just using a modified version of the vBIOS that you currently have. You can choose stock voltage, 1V, 1.025V, or 1.05V versions. Depending on your temperatures, choose accordingly.

EDIT: I'm assuming that all of those MSI 680M vBIOS files are for the 4GB version, as there is no mention of a 2GB MSI 680M, and your existing vBIOS (80.04.33.00.24) on your 4GB card is the same version number as those listed, so I reckon they're for the 4GB version of the card. If you flash it, let us know how it goes.

Cool!

I've oc'ed it to the possible max in AB right now (+135 core) and after letting Unigen run for about 30 mins straight, the max temp held between 63c-67c. Idles at 30c-33c (sometimes dipping into the high 20c's). In the game I'm playing now, Dead Space 3 (yeah, yeah, I know), temps don't even hit 50c; usually haning between 40c-45c.

I did do the copper shim mod with ICD7 (again, yeah, I know) and used some Fujipoly X; so the decent temps may be due to that.

Thanx for the quick reply.

no its not temps gpu-z and evga precision x read my gpu at 54c which means its just sitting there idle at stock clocks and when i run a game it will run at 99% but will not boost [ast 324\800 at all and will not get hotter then 65c but like i said when i reset the laptop it goes back to my over clock and runs perfectly its rare that this happens but very annoying when it does

Hey all. I've modded many bios before with NiBitor and NVFlash, but right now it seems that KBT is the only tool that will work on the GTX680m. Has anyone here used it? If so, have you had success with it? Is it relatively intuitive? I'd like to try my hand and modding the bios on my card.

Thanx

I just bought an Alienware 18 4910mq / Dual 880m notebook and will receive it Monday. I am a little worried about all of this throttle talk and the mystery behind the unreleased but ready vbios. Did I make a huge mistake and should I sell the system to downgrade to the 780m? I want to push a higher res screen and at the same time get the performance I thought I was paying for. I hope that it all gets cleared up and with all the hard work and free sharing there had to be a good reason behind not releasing it. Any help in the matter would be great and hope that the system will perform well enough until such due time.

Cool!

I've oc'ed it to the possible max in AB right now (+135 core) and after letting Unigen run for about 30 mins straight, the max temp held between 63c-67c. Idles at 30c-33c (sometimes dipping into the high 20c's). In the game I'm playing now, Dead Space 3 (yeah, yeah, I know), temps don't even hit 50c; usually haning between 40c-45c.

I did do the copper shim mod with ICD7 (again, yeah, I know) and used some Fujipoly X; so the decent temps may be due to that.

Thanx for the quick reply.

Ah, very good temperatures! If I were you I would go ahead and try the 1.025V version, then see how high you can go, and what the temperatures are.

GPUz says Dell (1028) because you have a Dell or Alienware laptop, and GPUz will always report it as such regardless of whether it's an MSI/Clevo/or Dell card. (It reads the 'slot info' - [made up term!], not the GPU itself). You definitely need to flash a 4GB version of the 680M (not a 2GB version). I would flash one of the 4 MSI vBIOS's if your card is working fine at the moment in your laptop - that way you're just using a modified version of the vBIOS that you currently have. You can choose stock voltage, 1V, 1.025V, or 1.05V versions. Depending on your temperatures, choose accordingly.

EDIT: I'm assuming that all of those MSI 680M vBIOS files are for the 4GB version, as there is no mention of a 2GB MSI 680M, and your existing vBIOS (80.04.33.00.24) on your 4GB card is the same version number as those listed, so I reckon they're for the 4GB version of the card. If you flash it, let us know how it goes.

Yep, you're correct. I exported the bios with KBT and it's reporting MSI (1462). Feel a little better about getting the correct modded bios now. :encouragement:

hey guys i have a quick question so i have a dell gtx 680m 2gb its flashed with a 1025v vbios i have been reading that the dell vbios doesnt gpu boost properly and i should flash it with the msi vbios is this tru what do you think of this.?

OK, so I flashed the MSI 1.025v bios like you suggested. Everything went great. OC'ed it to 936mhz, ran 3DMark 11 and everything looked good. But upon finishing the test, the card will not throttle back to 2d clocks and voltages. It just stays at 771mhz, 1.025v. Is this a known quirk? Or am I not setting something correctly?

I'm running the 337.50 beta drivers.

Thanx

OK, so I flashed the MSI 1.025v bios like you suggested. Everything went great. OC'ed it to 936mhz, ran 3DMark 11 and everything looked good. But upon finishing the test, the card will not throttle back to 2d clocks and voltages. It just stays at 771mhz, 1.025v. Is this a known quirk? Or am I not setting something correctly?

Thanx

Are you using any monitoring or other programs that are keeping your GPU in the 3D gaming performance state? If you're not sure, then have all your programs closed, and just use GPUz to monitor your clocks. I don't imagine that the vBIOS has been designed to NOT clock down, so I'm figuring you've got something open that is preventing it down clocking. If that doesn't work, then i'd uninstall the graphics driver, then use a program called Display Driver Uninstaller (Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 12.7.1.0) to remove any traces of the graphics driver, then reinstall 337.50 drivers (using your modified inf like you normally do).

Good that you managed to flash & run the new vBIOS well. How do your temps look? (I'm just curious, it's nothing to do with your card not downclocking issue).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey!

I have a Dell AW 18 with 2 GTX 770M@SLI. I wanna OC them, but my problem is the power limit. On stock speeds is throttling, so if i OC them, i gain no performance boost. When i decrease the voltage, i gain performance (because there is no powercap), but the system is becoming unstable.

I already installed the MSI 770m - 80.06.54.00.11 'OC edition' - rev02.zip ( BIOS, but i cant set the powrt limit in inspector or MSI AB. Can somebody help me how can i get rid of this limit?

Thanks!

Here is my original ROM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7-f9c0I_svZWmFoWTJvN2NhRVU/edit?usp=sharing

• Bios Modder

Thanx

What program you use for monitoring real current frequency and voltage? Just use Nvidia Inspector and you can see after benchmark that frequency and voltage will reduce.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you using any monitoring or other programs that are keeping your GPU in the 3D gaming performance state? If you're not sure, then have all your programs closed, and just use GPUz to monitor your clocks. I don't imagine that the vBIOS has been designed to NOT clock down, so I'm figuring you've got something open that is preventing it down clocking. If that doesn't work, then i'd uninstall the graphics driver, then use a program called Display Driver Uninstaller (Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 12.7.1.0) to remove any traces of the graphics driver, then reinstall 337.50 drivers (using your modified inf like you normally do).

Good that you managed to flash & run the new vBIOS well. How do your temps look? (I'm just curious, it's nothing to do with your card not downclocking issue).

What program you use for monitoring real current frequency and voltage? Just use Nvidia Inspector and you can see after benchmark that frequency and voltage will reduce.

Thanx guys. I was only running MSI AB to oc and monitor. I also have HWINFO for fan control.

Turns out that I forgot to reinstall the drivers (too excited about getting the modded bios and getting down to some oc'ing :haha:)

After cleaning out the old drivers (thanx for that link Robbo) and reinstalling, everything looks like it's working like it should.

So far I'm up to 987mhz core and 2124mhz mem. Temps only went up 2c (70c max) after a 20 min run of Unigen, so pretty happy about that. Thanx to Klem also for suggesting Nvidia Inspector. I like it a lot. Seems lighter than AB.

I didn't realize how much more challenging OC'ing on a laptop would be. On my desktop everything is water cooled, including the motherboard chipset, so I just crank-away! LOL Very much different that this air-cooled, closed-quarters environment.

Hey!

I have a Dell AW 18 with 2 GTX 770M@SLI. I wanna OC them, but my problem is the power limit. On stock speeds is throttling, so if i OC them, i gain no performance boost. When i decrease the voltage, i gain performance (because there is no powercap), but the system is becoming unstable.

I already installed the MSI 770m - 80.06.54.00.11 'OC edition' - rev02.zip ( BIOS, but i cant set the powrt limit in inspector or MSI AB. Can somebody help me how can i get rid of this limit?

Thanks!

Here is my original ROM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7-f9c0I_svZWmFoWTJvN2NhRVU/edit?usp=sharing

This is the one you want to flash, it's specifically from the 770M that is installed in the AW18, for some reason svl7 hasn't moved this modded vBIOS to this thread. Here it is:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-9.html#post74364 (Post #81 in that thread). This should sort all your problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx guys. I was only running MSI AB to oc and monitor. I also have HWINFO for fan control.

Turns out that I forgot to reinstall the drivers (too excited about getting the modded bios and getting down to some oc'ing :haha:)

After cleaning out the old drivers (thanx for that link Robbo) and reinstalling, everything looks like it's working like it should.

So far I'm up to 987mhz core and 2124mhz mem. Temps only went up 2c (70c max) after a 20 min run of Unigen, so pretty happy about that. Thanx to Klem also for suggesting Nvidia Inspector. I like it a lot. Seems lighter than AB.

I didn't realize how much more challenging OC'ing on a laptop would be. On my desktop everything is water cooled, including the motherboard chipset, so I just crank-away! LOL Very much different that this air-cooled, closed-quarters environment.

That's good, I like NVidia Inspector too, you can create shortcuts to your different OC settings on the desktop. Also, you can set up more advanced settings in the driver profile for specific games, like limiting fps to a number of your choice for instance. Is 987Mhz your max stable core at 1.025V then? Temperatures still look good. (Be aware that the increased voltage only affects the core, and the memory voltage is still the same as it was before, so memory OC potential shouldn't be affected).

This is the one you want to flash, it's specifically from the 770M that is installed in the AW18, for some reason svl7 hasn't moved this modded vBIOS to this thread. Here it is:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-9.html#post74364 (Post #81 in that thread). This should sort all your problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunatelly i cant set the power limit in this (Dell 770M) BIOS too.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunatelly i cant set the power limit in this (Dell 770M) BIOS too.

I think it is possible to set the power limit, but I think you have to use NVidia Inspector to do so (and I think there's one other program that might be able to do so, but can't remember). When you run NVidia Inspector, make sure you right click on the NVidia Inspector icon and select 'Run As Administrator'. Beyond that I don't know what to recommend, I'm quite sure it worked well for the A18 user who originally requested this vBIOS file (his name was Cloudfire). Maybe if my suggestions don't work you could PM Cloudfire & see how he got it to work.

Do you have the 330W power adapter? The 240W power adapter might be cutting it a bit fine for overvolted & overclocked 770M sli.

okay, so traveling back in time to the GTX 670MX discussions. Ive looked everywhere to find an answer before asking this to everyone. I am unable to open my VBIOS for edit with any software I can get my hands on, its either "unsupported" "bad checksum" or just wont work. I pulled the VBIOS with NVFlash, and GPU-z (from both cards, multiple times in case the file was bad) and tried to edit them with every VBIOS editor I could find, but to no avail... every method I tried was with a method that supposedly supports this card, something is awry here thats probably beyond my knowledge base, and I need some other brains on this. Please help me out!

• Brian featured this topic