NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hey guys,

I'm getting a bit confused now looking up the memory of my 680M.

I own a medion x7821/ms-17626 and i'm trying to look for the best Vbios for my 680m, i'm currently looking at svl7's MSI GTX 680m (4GB version) as the best option.

so now i'm trying to find out if i have a 2gb or a 4gb model, so i looked it up with nvidia inspector http://img.techpowerup.org/140226/nvidia_20140226_111433.png

Looks pretty clear right 2gb model...? Now if I look in nvidia's configuration screen under system info, its says total available graphics memory 4gb...

To make matters more confusing (for me) if I look on this page MSI Notebook Website under the ms-17626 model it says,it's a 2gb model.

But on this page MSI Notebook Product Specifications it's a 4gb model.:ambivalence:

I'm completely confused right now, does anyone of you guys know the answer? or even better if svl7's msi gtx 680m vbios will work on my GPU?

I think you have a 2GB model. "Total Available Graphics Memory" in System Information of the NVidia Control Panel is referring to both the "Dedicated Video Memory" + "Shared System Memory". "Shared System Memory" is system RAM that is usable by your video card when it needs it (hardly ever probably), and "Dedicated Video Memory" is the amount of GDDR5 VRAM you have on your GPU. You could use GPUz to double check you have a 2GB version of the 680M, but I'm pretty sure from what you've said that you've got a 2GB version.

One way of checking to make sure that you're flashing the correct VBIOS file is to check that the VBIOS version numbers match. You can find the VBIOS version of your card listed on the first tab of GPUz, this is the one to compare against any VBIOS files that you flash.

Well I went ahead and tried to flash the 680m with both svl7's Dell and MSI vbios no succes...

I first tried the MSI vbios, it wouldn't even let me use this one!

And as second I tried the Dell vbios the flash went fine but windows did not recognize the GPU anymore :(

Thank god I made a backup! I'm now looking in to editing the vbios myself with Kepler bios tweaker, But I have no Idea what I'm doing, well kinda...

Is there a tutorial or something here on the forums for editing a vbios?

Hi guys I can't download the 770m vbios yet because I just joined but also

my vbios is a newer version - dell v 54.. I was wondering if you could share some voltages info so I could make my own - I'll share it here of course, thanks!

Well I went ahead and tried to flash the 680m with both svl7's Dell and MSI vbios no succes...

I first tried the MSI vbios, it wouldn't even let me use this one!

And as second I tried the Dell vbios the flash went fine but windows did not recognize the GPU anymore :(

Thank god I made a backup! I'm now looking in to editing the vbios myself with Kepler bios tweaker, But I have no Idea what I'm doing, well kinda...

Is there a tutorial or something here on the forums for editing a vbios?

Did you listen to my post, were you trying to flash the 4GB version? It sounds like you need to flash the 2GB version! Like I mentioned, you also need to check that the VBIOS version number that you're flashing is the same version as your original, did you do that?

Did you listen to my post, were you trying to flash the 4GB version? It sounds like you need to flash the 2GB version! Like I mentioned, you also need to check that the VBIOS version number that you're flashing is the same version as your original, did you do that?

Yeah I did listen, I used Svl7's Dell vbios which is a 2gb version, and I checked the VBIOS version numbers.

The last digits don't match, just look at the pic below

Of Windows doesn't recognize the card it's normal, just mod the inf of the driver

Remember you are talking to a noob here... so could you be a little bit more clear with the modding of the inf of the driver?

post-23755-14494997250567_thumb.jpg

• Bios Modder
Yeah I did listen, I used Svl7's Dell vbios which is a 2gb version, and I checked the VBIOS version numbers.

The last digits don't match, just look at the pic below

Remember you are talking to a noob here... so could you be a little bit more clear with the modding of the inf of the driver?

[ATTACH]11045[/ATTACH]

Post here your backup stock vbios of your video card.

To be able to install the driver you need to modify the inf inside the drivers installation directory, a good and easy guide is here :

Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide) - Guru3D.com Forums

You must do the Inf mod in order to get it working, the vbios flash is only the first step of the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is for you.

Thank you very much! May I ask what did you change: volts ? clocks ? unlocked?

To be able to install the driver you need to modify the inf inside the drivers installation directory, a good and easy guide is here :

Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide) - Guru3D.com Forums

You must do the Inf mod in order to get it working, the vbios flash is only the first step of the process.

Thanks, it's funny I found that guide on my own, at first it didn't work but then I remembered about windows 8 and the drivers signatures issues. After I had that figured out it worked fine!

• Thumbs Up 1

@nickbl1991 I'd try using Klem's VBIOS to see if that works fine (if you've not done so already), because like you said the VBIOS version numbers are different for the VBIOS you were trying to use before, which I think was the cause of your problems. (And you shouldn't need to use a modified inf for the driver install either if you were using your GPU before in your system with no issues, or if it's a GPU model that was offered as a configurable original option for your system when you bought it).

Hello all been a lurker here . And just now decided to join. I am interested in flashing my 780m to the unlocked. But i have a question. Im not much into the overclocking of laptops , but i would like to know does this unlocked vbios increase any performance with out having to overclock? As say a better boost clock? and less throttling?

I just bought an AW17 with 770m and was interested in oc. I still have to post a few times before I can download the vbios so i figured i'd get a few questions out of the way.

Do i need to be careful of anything in particular when flashing and are there any good tutorials out there?

Is this the vbios i need? -- http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/general-notebook-discussions/9584d1384710662-nvidia-770m-80.06.51.00.0f-oc-edition-rev02.zip

After I flash can i simply make changes via nvidia inspector?

Thanks!

i've never oc'd before and i'm a little worried i don't want to brick my new baby!

I just bought an AW17 with 770m and was interested in oc. I still have to post a few times before I can download the vbios so i figured i'd get a few questions out of the way.

Do i need to be careful of anything in particular when flashing and are there any good tutorials out there?

Is this the vbios i need? -- http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/general-notebook-discussions/9584d1384710662-nvidia-770m-80.06.51.00.0f-oc-edition-rev02.zip

Thanks!

i've never oc'd before and i'm a little worried i don't want to brick my new baby!

Hey all!

Which GT770M vbios file should I use for Clevo p150sm?

my current stock bios is: 80.06.51.00.30 (P2303-1e00)

Thank you! much appreciated...

That's a good question, because your vBIOS file version doesn't match any of the 770M files on page 1 of this thread. I don't know which one is going to be compatible, either someone else can speak up if they know the answer, or I would google to see what other p150sm users have done re unlocked vBIOS flashing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks!

If you've never oc'd before then I recommend that you don't flash a vBIOS straight away. If I was you I'd just experiment with oc'ing within the +135Mhz window that you get on the stock vBIOS that you already have installed on your card. You can use NVidia Inspector to overclock your card. Keep an eye on temperatures. Once you've learned about overclocking and the theory of it in relation to voltage, then think about flashing a vBIOS from here that will remove the +135Mhz limit. Instructions for flashing on the first page of this thread. (Read about the dangers of overvolting & invalidating your warranty).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Brian featured this topic