NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

• Bios Modder
Thanks! I'm going to try it out right now.

EDIT: Tried it, doesn't work. Would you please make 0.800V, 0.825V, 0.8500V and 0.875V?

"....I can set for you any different voltage in your vbios, but i am know your problem is not voltage, you problem is incompatibility vendors this video card and your laptop..."

• Bios Modder
I got it off eBay with the same chipset as my dead GPU. Why wouldn't it work then?

Incompatibility manufacturers! Because this card from Dell, but your laptop is MSI!

@djdblaster: if you want to try out my theory that I talked about, the one with lowering your memory & core clocks below your stock level, then why not just try it using a piece of overclocking software like NVidia Inspector. I think you can lower your clocks, underclock it using that. I know Klem is adamant that this is not the problem, but it seems like such an easy thing to test that takes less 5 minutes. I see you're asking him to lower the memory clock for you, why don't you just do that in software like NVidia Inspector & see if it makes a difference. Try it, see what happens, 5 mins effort.

@Klem, how can you be so certain that it is VBIOS compatibility issue and not a voltage/frequency stability problem? I'm sure you know more about VBIOS than I do, considering you modify them, but you've not explained why my theory cannot be the problem.

I would and have tried it, but it keeps rolling back to original clocks. Sorry for not mentioning this before. I simply cannot change clocks.

NVidia Inspector won't change my clocks either, unless I 'Run As Administrator'. Right Click on the NVidia Inspector desktop icon & click 'Run As Admistrator'. This lets you run the program with Adminstrator Rights, which is required. Can you change the clocks after doing that?

EDIT: If that doesn't work, or works but doesn't solve your problem, then I am now really out of ideas & I'll leave you be! Then perhaps Klem may continue to help you.

• Bios Modder
@djdblaster: if you want to try out my theory that I talked about, the one with lowering your memory & core clocks below your stock level, then why not just try it using a piece of overclocking software like NVidia Inspector. I think you can lower your clocks, underclock it using that. I know Klem is adamant that this is not the problem, but it seems like such an easy thing to test that takes less 5 minutes. I see you're asking him to lower the memory clock for you, why don't you just do that in software like NVidia Inspector & see if it makes a difference. Try it, see what happens, 5 mins effort.

@Klem, how can you be so certain that it is VBIOS compatibility issue and not a voltage/frequency stability problem? I'm sure you know more about VBIOS than I do, considering you modify them, but you've not explained why my theory cannot be the problem.

I just have some practical experience. I think that in this case we have, just the video card from Dell hardware incompatibility with laptop from MSI.

Hey svl7, would you mind doing an unlocked voltage slider version of the MSI 670MX (1.5GB) vbios on the first page? :) I have a card that I didn't even bother to tweak, just OC'd to 1000Mhz / 2150MHz, it froze after a few seconds, lowered clock core to 950MHz and running smooth like a bird. It smells like a very good chip to me (most 670mx oc's i see can hardly touch 900core at stock voltage, and usually lower memory clocks - i'd oc the memory more but I can't cool the underside chips) and I want to see how brightly it can blaze :D

I'd be happy to drop a few beers' worth in your Paypal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey svl7, would you mind doing an unlocked voltage slider version of the MSI 670MX (1.5GB) vbios on the first page? :) I have a card that I didn't even bother to tweak, just OC'd to 1000Mhz / 2150MHz, it froze after a few seconds, lowered clock core to 950MHz and running smooth like a bird. It smells like a very good chip to me (most 670mx oc's i see can hardly touch 900core at stock voltage, and usually lower memory clocks - i'd oc the memory more but I can't cool the underside chips) and I want to see how brightly it can blaze :D

I'd be happy to drop a few beers' worth in your Paypal.

Sangemaru, can you share 3dmark 11 Performance restults so I can compare :°

Got some great results with my 670mx using msi 1.5gb bios on 1st page -

Ha53Li6.png

9sEm8LY.png

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3840QM,Dell Inc. 096J9P - P5810 -- Graphics Score 5591

That's an interesting score, since mine is bigger :) I'm using 250Mhz slower memory than you are. How do you cool the underside chips? Have you had any overheating troubles, or corruption with it?

I haven't, but I am worried about it. The bottom of my laptop does get a bit warm.

I have different driver, will try your driver and do a rerun...

My Gpu never gets over 85c during long gaming sessions with a 22 ambien temp in the house..

EDIT ****

Looks like im not hitting 950mhz according to gpu-z, will try 960 in nvidia inspector that may give me 950 in gpu-z. This rerun has been done with latest beta drivers..

fg4Hgmb.png

EDIT ****

Cant seem to get nvidia inspector to work at 950mhz core, here is a run at 960mhz -

w4v92FU.png

Sangemaru, can you share 3dmark 11 Performance restults so I can compare :°

Got some great results with my 670mx using msi 1.5gb bios on 1st page -

Ha53Li6.png

9sEm8LY.png

You should be getting about 5700 or so in your GPU score at 950Mhz, so that's a couple of hundred low, which is not much. I think it's because you're using an old driver, or you might be getting a tiny amount of GPU throttling (either due to temperature or power, but probably temperature if you are getting any throttling).

EDIT: just seen your scores at 960Mhz & the new driver, that looks fine, about right.

You should be getting about 5700 or so in your GPU score at 950Mhz, so that's a couple of hundred low, which is not much. I think it's because you're using an old driver, or you might be getting a tiny amount of GPU throttling (either due to temperature or power, but probably temperature if you are getting any throttling).

EDIT: just seen your scores at 960Mhz & the new driver, that looks fine, about right.

I just reran with latest drivers and im getting 5663 graphics score @ 960mhz nvidiainspector / 953.7mhz GPU-Z (im not sure which is displays the corect core clock. gpuz or nv inspector ??

ECFK4FC.png

I just reran with latest drivers and im getting 5663 graphics score @ 960mhz nvidiainspector / 953.7mhz GPU-Z (im not sure which is displays the corect core clock. gpuz or nv inspector ??

GPUz is showing the actual clocks that it is set at. The clocks go up & down in 13Mhz steps, and it will always round down to the next nearest 13Mhz. Your scores are spot on for those clocks.

GPUz is showing the actual clocks that it is set at. The clocks go up & down in 13Mhz steps, and it will always round down to the next nearest 13Mhz. Your scores are spot on for those clocks.

Cheers Robbo, all I need now is to get bclk overclocking fixed :)

So today I've found myself able to overclock my 4700mq to 3.4ghz over all 4 the cores with a -95mv undervolt stable and I've flashed my 780M vbios with the unlocked oc version from the 2nd post of this thread. The laptop btw is a Clevo P150SM.

Then I overclocked my gpu using Nvinspector to the following specs:

Core: 1010mhz (+160)

Memory: 3000mhz (+500)

Power target 104%

Prioritize tepmerature (target unchanged 92 degrees)

Voltage offset +12.5mV.

Is this safe for daily usage? and will it decrease the lifespan of my gpu (much)?

When completing all the 3Dmark benchmarks HWiNFO shows the temps aren't going over 80 degrees.

Also, at some points (physics) there seems to be throttling, the temps are still under 80 degrees at that point. I concluded this is caused by the power brick (180w) not being able to supply enough juice. Am I correct on that?

Thanks in advance :P

EDIT: I believe this 3DMark can be higher, I ran it again with my monitor and keyboard light turned of and I saw improvement. I think the CPU and GPU are drawing too much power. In order to fix this I've ordered a 240W Dell PSU.

Also; for those interested in the 3dmark result, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Notebook P15SM

So today I've found myself able to overclock my 4700mq to 3.4ghz over all 4 the cores with a -95mv undervolt stable and I've flashed my 780M vbios with the unlocked oc version from the 2nd post of this thread.

Then I overclocked my gpu using Nvinspector to the following specs:

Core: 1010mhz (+160)

Memory: 3000mhz (+500)

Power target 104%

Prioritize tepmerature (target unchanged 92 degrees)

Voltage offset +12.5mV.

Is this safe for daily usage? and will it decrease the lifespan of my gpu (much)?

When completing all the 3Dmark benchmarks HWiNFO shows the temps aren't going over 80 degrees.

Also, at some points (physics) there seems to be throttling, the temps are still under 80 degrees at that point. I concluded this is caused by the power brick (180w) not being able to supply enough juice. Am I correct on that?

Thanks in advance :P

Also; for those interested in the 3dmark result, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Notebook P15SM

That all looks good to me! I think you'll be alright with that small overvolt & good overclock there, and your temps on the 780M are good. I personally don't think you'll decrease the life of your 780M like that. It was a good idea that you could both overclock and undervolt your CPU, especially if it shares one of the heat pipes with the GPU! Do you have the one of the Asus machines? I think they have a 'bridge' between the CPU & GPU, but then seperate heat pipes for both CPU & GPU all going to one fan. So, in that setup, undervolting your CPU (like you have done) should help with your GPU temperatures too!

I think your throttling is due to you 180W power brick too. You could either get a Watt Meter to measure the consumption at the electrical outlet at the wall, or you could risk it and buy a PSU with a higher wattage (if it's compatible).

• Brian featured this topic