NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

agQ5W8G.jpg

I currently am using a modded vBIOS that unlocks the multis and also runs at full speed on battery. Just stock voltage.

i literally made an account so i could talk to you..i have the same card gtx 765m i overclocked it with gpu tweak 0997 mhz core 6088 mhz mem. but i was wondering if there is an vbios that could let me push core clock a bit higher? is it possible?

• Bios Modder
Hello svl7, i would like to know if your vbios OC edition mod2 for 780m is working with asus g750jh. i can't find any compatibility information about this laptop. thanks

And why do not you look into the thread of ASUS? There is everything you need.

http://forum.techinferno.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/4638-overclocking-asus-g750jh-gtx780m-3.html

- - - Updated - - -

i literally made an account so i could talk to you..i have the same card gtx 765m i overclocked it with gpu tweak 0997 mhz core 6088 mhz mem. but i was wondering if there is an vbios that could let me push core clock a bit higher? is it possible?

If you post here your file videobios we can try to help you.

Hello Svl7, I used yourMSI 675mx (4GB) - 80.04.58.00.0E_'OCedition'_rev00 vbios to flash my card which was a 80.04.58.00.0D. Is this ok? The turbo button when activated doesnt seem to do anything now except light up. Also, the gpu seems to work at full power even on battery but the whole laptop shut down when it reached 70% battery level. Sorry for the stupid question but are these normal? Also, is there a way to prevent the dedicated gpu from being used 100% while on battery?

So, my forgiveness for asking what i fear to be a stupid question..

I am currently running my 680M on the Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 bios, and have two questions:

1) Right now in windows, no matter what i try to change, the GPU stays running at 758. Even after reboots, it doesn't seem to back down to power saving clocks. Of course, this means it idles around 50, and does add a bit of fan noise when i don't need it. More so, i am worried about burning out the card (my wife's Alienware 580M died despite no overheating or overclocking). Is this a setting i may have changed somewhere, or... ?

2) At the same time, i noticed that many games seem to barely get over 50-60% GPU utilization, depite framerates dropping to 30-40 at times. I suspect this is a product of my CPU and the games, but can't hurt to ask in general...

I am currently running my 680M on the Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 bios, and have two questions:

1) Right now in windows, no matter what i try to change, the GPU stays running at 758. Even after reboots, it doesn't seem to back down to power saving clocks. Of course, this means it idles around 50, and does add a bit of fan noise when i don't need it. More so, i am worried about burning out the card (my wife's Alienware 580M died despite no overheating or overclocking). Is this a setting i may have changed somewhere, or... ?

2) At the same time, i noticed that many games seem to barely get over 50-60% GPU utilization, depite framerates dropping to 30-40 at times. I suspect this is a product of my CPU and the games, but can't hurt to ask in general...

Point #2 could be your CPU, but if you've got a Sandy bridge i7 or later, then it's not because the CPU's not good enough, instead it may be that the CPU is getting too hot & throttling.

For Point #1, someone else would need to answer that, I don't know.

If you are gaming with Vsync On and this games are not resources eaters (Crysis 3, The Witcher 2...) your card don't need to process too much frames ahead of 60fps (60HZ) using less gpu process, power and getting lower core temps, see with a sensor monitor like GPU-Z if on dropping framerate moments your GPU isn't reach 99-100% utilization, then if not reaching, see the temps maybe your card is throtling because the temps are high.

I don't talked about playing Vsync on 120HZ because with 680m you have to use low or medium settings to get 120fps+ and I think it isn't a good deal, but it's my opinion.

PS: Sorry do not speak english very well.

With notebook cooler, although the significance of the low temperature is down to the cooling system in M17xR3, and doing a pretty good job with the pasting & padding.

Yes, Alienware laptosp are great machines with a solid cooling system, with correct mods and care it can have nice low temperatures.

I asked out of curiosity,

Thanks for reply.

This is the highest I could get. What do you guys think? http://i.imgur.com/FjetiXJ.jpg

I get the same Firestrike GPU score as you with your 675MX, except I did it through a higher core overclock and a lower memory bandwidth - I sure would like the 156GB/s bandwidth you got! Looks like core clock & memory bandwidth can sometimes be interchangeable to some extent to get the same performance, although your results still prove that core clock yields better performance/higher scores. Your 50% better memory bandwidth makes up for my 10% higher core clock, so core clock has a greater effect. Interesting to see that comparison.

I get the same Firestrike GPU score as you with your 675MX, except I did it through a higher core overclock and a lower memory bandwidth - I sure would like the 156GB/s bandwidth you got! Looks like core clock & memory bandwidth can sometimes be interchangeable to some extent to get the same performance, although your results still prove that core clock yields better performance/higher scores. Your 50% better memory bandwidth makes up for my 10% higher core clock, so core clock has a greater effect. Interesting to see that comparison.
This is true is almost all cases. Memory clocks do help, but not nearly as much as core clock speed.

This is true is almost all cases. Memory clocks do help, but not nearly as much as core clock speed.

Unfortunately, this is the most stable overclock I can get by only overclocking the core clock: http://i.imgur.com/mDxIRIz.jpg

My VDDC drops from 1.0370V to 1.0120V within a few minutes of running a heavy app/game. I can get +450 on the core clock while it stays at 1.0370V but it gives me a "display driver failed" error when it drops to 1.0120V. I got a beta EC that is supposed to help with overclocking from the msi forums but that didnt help as well. Is there any way to make it stay at 1.0370V ?

• Bios Modder
Unfortunately, this is the most stable overclock I can get by only overclocking the core clock: http://i.imgur.com/mDxIRIz.jpg

My VDDC drops from 1.0370V to 1.0120V within a few minutes of running a heavy app/game. I can get +450 on the core clock while it stays at 1.0370V but it gives me a "display driver failed" error when it drops to 1.0120V. I got a beta EC that is supposed to help with overclocking from the msi forums but that didnt help as well. Is there any way to make it stay at 1.0370V ?

Just try to set 1,050V or 1,075V on core.

It may be that your problems are being caused by TDR errors. If you are seeing the display driver "stopped responding and successfully recovered" error this is resetting your voltage and clock speeds. This is not necessarily the fault of the GPU. It can be caused by more than one thing, including messed up Windows Updates. The easiest thing to try would be a series of different driver versions. If the problem is the same, make an image of your current Windows installation so you can restore it. Do a clean install and disable Windows Updates. Install drivers and only a few benchmarks and your overclocking tools. See if the problem is the same. If it is fixed, delete your backup image (since it is corrupt) and finish installing all of your software, make a new drive image. If the behavior is the same, then it is something with hardware or firmware. You can restore your original image if you want to if the clean install did not help.

It may be that your problems are being caused by TDR errors. If you are seeing the display driver "stopped responding and successfully recovered" error this is resetting your voltage and clock speeds. This is not necessarily the fault of the GPU. It can be caused by more than one thing, including messed up Windows Updates. The easiest thing to try would be a series of different driver versions. If the problem is the same, make an image of your current Windows installation so you can restore it. Do a clean install and disable Windows Updates. Install drivers and only a few benchmarks and your overclocking tools. See if the problem is the same. If it is fixed, delete your backup image (since it is corrupt) and finish installing all of your software, make a new drive image. If the behavior is the same, then it is something with hardware or firmware. You can restore your original image if you want to if the clean install did not help.

Or, I think his 'display driver failed' messages are due to his overclock becoming unstable when the voltage drops. He might be able to sort that by reducing the overclock, or by raising the voltage once he's found a VBIOS that works properly for him.

Or, I think his 'display driver failed' messages are due to his overclock becoming unstable when the voltage drops. He might be able to sort that by reducing the overclock, or by raising the voltage once he's found a VBIOS that works properly for him.

Ok, Klem was kind enough to give me a modified VBIOS with 1.1000V with drops to 1.0750V VDDC.

This is how much I got now: Modified vbios from default 667/900 - Imgur

Its getting hot though. I will post again once I tweak the values until it stays below 86 Celsius

Ok, Klem was kind enough to give me a modified VBIOS with 1.1000V with drops to 1.0750V VDDC.

This is how much I got now: Modified vbios from default 667/900 - Imgur

Its getting hot though. I will post again once I tweak the values until it stays below 86 Celsius

They're some good scores! If you're being limited by the heat like you say, then why don't you try a VBIOS at 1.075V, that way it might drop to 1.05V rather than the 1.075V that you currently have. As you probably know, it's the voltage change that has the biggest effect on temperature. You might be able to run at your max stable overclock at 1.05V rather than be limited by temperature.

They're some good scores! If you're being limited by the heat like you say, then why don't you try a VBIOS at 1.075V, that way it might drop to 1.05V rather than the 1.075V that you currently have. As you probably know, it's the voltage change that has the biggest effect on temperature. You might be able to run at your max stable overclock at 1.05V rather than be limited by temperature.

I dont know how to modify a VBIOS. I will try asking Klem for it.

• Brian featured this topic